Wonder why someone as serious as T'Challa would ride around in a jet with a big necklace on it

>wonder why someone as serious as T'Challa would ride around in a jet with a big necklace on it
>wonder why someone as serious as T'Challa would run around dressed like a blinged-out power ranger
>“Wright’s Princess Shuri character is not only a fighter but a brilliant scientist, on par with Iron Man’s Tony Stark, Coogler says. She has spent her life researching and experimenting with Vibranium, and these twin blasters are just one of her devices.“

Jesus Christ.

Other urls found in this thread:

marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Kimoyo_Beads
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I'm going to need you to go back to Sup Forums if you think that T'Challa's only powers consist of a vibranium suit and some advanced technology.

Being black shouldn't give a character an automatic boost to stats.

>On par with Tony Stark
The MCU's colossal fuck up poster boy?

But being Wakandan kinda does, its basically the entire point of the country

Having a huge amount of "flaws" makes a character good!

>on par with Iron Man’s Tony Stark
Then where's her suit of high-tech vibranium armor with an on-board AI?

The Dude has to lock her in a cave with a box of scraps first.

She wanted to put a tail on T'Challa's Black Panther suit. It would have acted as a helicopter blade. She was then removed from that division and "promoted" to an innocuous post concerning Wakandan agriculture.

>still posting that list of buzzwords like it means anything

It's true, though.

It's buzzwords, you can make them mean anything you want.
Fuck two of them are straight up synonyms for "interesting".

Which ones? The only one I see is "fascinating". What's the other one? Compelling? In the context of writing that means another thing entirely.

Not really. They're buzzwords user, they mean what you want them to mean.

No, they have definitions. They mean what they mean. Look them up in the dictionary. They aren't "buzzwords", you tool. Anybody who treats them as words that can mean anything is a retard, and so is anybody who treats them as if they mean nothing. Spend some time away from the internet and get some perspective.

>Being black shouldn't give a character an automatic boost to stats.
Wakanda is one of the most powerful countries on Earth in Marvel, that is just the way it is. Any attempt to make it weaker than being the most powerful, defeats the point of it. The whole issue with Wakanda is that it has advanced technology that it refuses to share with anyone. They have advanced medicine, for example, and they finally tried to share it in Civil War except their doctors got blown up.

You can insist that it is outrageous, that you don't think Wakanda should exist. But it is vital that Wakanda be Wakanda as it is important to Marvel stories as a part of its politics. Hope we will eventually get to Atlantis and Latveria. There are rights issues right now but long term MCU will have powerful fictional nations that allow more tales that isn't about the United States.

Yes, but Shuri was a strong and highly trained fighter in the comics that yearned to wear the Panther and finally did. Adding but also "a brilliant scientist, on par with Iron Man’s Tony Stark." gets into fucking Mary Sue territory. It's terrible for actual character development.

its a small celestial dwarf user. gotta compare her to what the kids know

Because T'Challa is serious about everything, but the thing he's most serious about is his culture and his homeland

Character creation works roughly on Stats. If you're good at something, you're terrible at other things. Tony Stark is a brilliant scientist who can do advanced calculations in his head in a flash to make grand inventions while aided by an AI he programmed. He's also a cocky, headstrong individual who is terrible at personal relationships, self-managing with someone/something to remind him constantly, and not the greatest fighter (see Friday taking over the suit to beat Cap for a few good blows) despite how hard he has trained in the past with Happy.

Shuri can be a decent and growing scientist and a strong fighter, but not the top of the class on both.

Save the Cat says that you can only have 1 unbelievable thing happen before the audience will begin to question the information they're being presented. A Spider can bite Parker and the audience will go with it. A Spider can't bite Parker and also Osborn taking some formula at the same time to become the Goblin. It makes for a poorer movie and a strong reason why people prefer Spidey 2 (only accepting that an accident creates Doc Ock) over Spidey 1.

>at the same time
It was months apart

words have definitions you idiot.

Idiot: a person of lesser intelligence

fuck off /tg/ people in the real world don't have even stat points. Some people are just better at everything

Jesus fuck. Ultron's frisbee comment makes more and more sense every day.

How much "WE WUZ" shitposting is going to result from this movie...?

>>“Wright’s Princess Shuri character is not only a fighter but a brilliant scientist, on par with Iron Man’s Tony Stark, Coogler says. She has spent her life researching and experimenting with Vibranium, and these twin blasters are just one of her devices.“

Yes, and?

Super-geniuses exist in the MU. Therefore, you can feature a super-genius character.

But she's a nigger. I don't like niggers.
t. Sup Forums

Better a shield than cat hands that yell angrily at the bad guys.

>better an ancient weapon that only works as well as it does due to its user than an energy based cannon developed by futurists

The point is that it explains why T'Challa's arsenal is so goofy compared to everyone else's in Wakanda. He's wearing a souped-up cosplay outfit his sister made because LOL totem sentai!

If you think that's literally what it does then you must be severely retarded, and I think you are.

>It's buzzwords, you can make them mean anything you want.
I think that's the point of the image. That, and that the MCU's characters' ((((flaws)))) are bland, run-in-the-mill half-measures that amount to zero development in the long run, because all MCU but Cap have the same personality.

Excellent post.

Now I want her to have a crush on Rocket because he's both adorable and a genius inventor. Because he loves money so much (and Vibranium is pretty cool), he'll seriously consider it: King Rocket of Wakanda.

Independent parallel invention is pretty cool, as is reverse-engineering from a conceptual standpoint, in the real world but it's unsatisfying in the context of a story without being paired with an underdog or opposition narrative. All it does is make one think about the fact that we've already seen this stuff from Stark, and Stark's version is smaller, doesn't prevent him from using his hands, and he also used them to fly. It does't make her look like a supergenius or anything, it says, "even with the all the resources and technology of an entire nation operating on a higher technological baseline than the entire world, the best she could do is make a shitty knockoff."

Non-MCU vibranium question
Do you think Kirby was intending to tie Vibranium to 4th World/Inhumane before he got shut down and went to DC with 4th world

And if those people were characters in a story, they'd get called Mary Sues and the story would be dismissed.

That's why Realism can be actually damaging to a narrative. Because real life gets away with such bullshit all too often everywhere; but we can't go to God's twitter and tell him what a terrible writer he is.

Probably not intentionally, Wakanda and BP draw heavily from pulp adventures and fictional materials with bizarre properties showed up occasionally.

True, but it's hard to compare Iron Man's suit and Black Panther's on a technological level since they're products of their environment. The Panther suit doesn't fly, not necessarily because they can't make it do that, but because as the teaser trailer reminded us, the woodlands surrounding Wakanda are a green hell kudzu so being able to fly above that won't really give you the capacity to take down the intruders hiding in it without making a spectacle. It also doesn't come equipped with many weapons since the man inside of it is a super soldier that should feasibly be able to murder anything with just the sharp Vibranium claws attached.

Look I'll be honest here, all I care is that Klaw steals one of those guns and attaches it to his stump. That's it.

I'm not comparing it to the Panther suit at all. I'm talking about the problems in the presentation of Shuri as a genius scientist in the context of what we've seen and heard so far.

So you're more upset that they're giving the 'brilliant scientist' role over to Shuri than you are about them taking it away from T'Challa. That shows everything about where you're coming from.

Maybe instead of kitty gloves she should have been inventing light body armor that her father could have worn in Civil War

Shuri confirmed for neko obsessed weeb.

"On par with Tony Stark" sounds stupid. It's like when people make a character who is "as strong as Superman." Just let them stand on their own merits.

>"On par with Tony Stark" sounds stupid.
It will never be brought up in-film. It is just what they said in interviews.

MCU lack geniuses due to Reed Richards being missing. And regardless it is better that we have one named character in Wakanda to represent their weapon tech than faceless scientists.

>Shuri
>-ri
>as in Riri
BRAVO BENDIS

Oh. I didn't really get that. I still don't.

Well, you gotta have some kind of benchmark... I think?

>real world
>Wakanda
>MCU

But you're okay with T'Challa (and characters like, for example, Batman) being all of this?

You do realize than T'Challa's a supergenius too, right? That flower drug thing they ingest as part of the royal family enhances pretty much all their abilities.

especially since some autistic bald chump in New York already made business suits like that

That makes more sense than T'challa inventing them and thus being an even more massive Gary Stu than he already is.

And yet you decided that having flaws isn't part of what makes a character dimensional, fascinating, compelling or believable.
Because reasons.

>Jesus Christ.

Please go back to Sup Forums

What other "powers" does he have besides a superhuman risk analysis ability?

>how to make good characters
>step 1, make a good character
>step 2, don't make a bad chatacter
That's all that list is saying

Reminder that Black Panther could have saved Mar-Vell if he wanted. Or any other person dying of cancer in the world.

"World of Wakanda" convinced me that Wakanda works more as a far-away concept. It sinks as soon as someone tries to focus on it.

Fuck you, this shit is going to be awesome. The art direction of this movie is going to be unreal. Those arm cannons are some of the coolest things I've seen.

Heart Shaped Herb gives him all sorts of powers you pleb. He is also king of the dead and the Panther God gives him additional powers.

Wakanda itself isn't the problem, it's the Hudlin version of it. The original "rapidly developing power" incarnation and Priest's "isolationist and unstable First World nation" worked pretty well because the Afro-Futurism concepts of Wakanda were either subtle and organic to the civilization, or loud, brash, and rather limited in scope. Hudlin's high technology utopia turned around and presented what had been flaws before into moral correctness, xenophobia, isolationism, and internal divisions were features rather than bugs. Coates tried to merge Priest and Hudlin's Wakanda and ultimately they don't mesh well. You ultimately get what reads like a complete dystopia populated by insane hypocrites who hate each other and have to be kept in line by the violence of a theocratic despot.

Also,
HE
IS
KANG

The issue I have is that they are futuristic society that is still bound by tribalism.

what?

Yeah, it's almost as if it was coming straight from a cape-comic.

But that's the cool part.

fucking America is a futuristic society that is still bound by tribalism

>The issue I have is that they are futuristic society that is still bound by tribalism
Isn't that what Japan is?

Oh for fuck sake

Well, the Japanese aren't fucking each other.

So this is WE WUZ - The Movie?

yes, Sup Forums, now run along, I'm sure there's a new terrible meme for you to force.

Wow, a country that names its protector and King after a Panther and WORSHIPS A PANTHER GOD is gonna have PANTHER MOTIFS everywhere!? Say it ain't so!!

I don't see her with 40+ suits for most situations
I didn't see her fighting the Chitari
I didn't see her fighting Ultron
I never saw her fighting against Captain Wrong
I never saw her fighting Mu Bucky

She's a smart scientist not a fucking clone

Stark still has a host of tangible innovations to his name, from his weapon designing days to green energy with the arc reactor.

Saw the trailer finally, was greatly disappointed visually. I thought they were going to take it into a different direction but nope. Hope the story is still strong.

It's almost as if creativity is a huge part to Tony Stark's character and role as a superhero, rather than dumbing him down to a smart guy barometer in a world with super-geniuses

All we've seen of Shuri so far is the trailer where she's sporting Cheetor's cat head cannons.

Shuri could have other innovations in the movie. She could have innovations in future movies

> God's employing avatars

> MCU

Which is why it's bad to make a direct comparison between her and Stark.

T'Challa is wearing it.

>director gives a point of comparison so the audience knows what to expect out of this character they've never heard of before
>WOW WHAT THE FUCK WHY ARE YOU COMPARING THEM

Phrasing. "In the mold of Tony Stark" would have been a better choice of words.

Maybe they have the Kimoyo tech
marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Kimoyo_Beads

Well yea, their population is going down

My point.

Maybe you should find something else to be this upset about

>in the context of what we've seen and heard so far.

So you admit to grasping at straws

test

>character creation works roughly on stats
Nobody is playing D&D here you idiot.
Character writing works by WRITING a fucking character, that's it.

You think what people say in INTERVIEWS about movies matters?
Remember all that bullshit they talked about Krypton before Man of Steel came out that literally was never touched upon in the actual film?

Are you so fucking stupid that you actually believe in "hype" and think ANYTHING said by people before the movie comes out actually matters?
I figured that shit was a lie when I was fifteen fucking years old, what's your excuse dumbass?

Redguards have an agility boost in Morrowind :^)

>japanese birthrate is in decline because their society is exclussive

>Falcon gets beaten by Ant-man
>War Machine is crippled
>being black gives you a boost in the MCU

damn she looks cute