How come cape comics don't do tournament arcs anymore?

How come cape comics don't do tournament arcs anymore?

youtube.com/watch?v=n079MNojJJc

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/BJm72pFHaRI
imgur.com/gallery/eudqk
youtube.com/watch?v=Pr5poGAZ9Tk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

That was such a dumb fight

[Spoiler] I love it

Isn't Iron Fist doing one literally right now? And Superman had one like 18 months ago.

Happens often enough I guess.

I like it when there are teams with Mixed villains and heroes

Oh wow, I want to see these two characters fight. But I need a reason for them to give it their all in the brawl. And a controlled environment where no third party will interfere and where the terrain is even. Also, I would for the victor to fight someone afterwards also with little to no reason and also in a controlled environment for the same reason above. Maybe I can make a story out of this flimsy model of successive formulaic brawls, but I need an excuse. Say, this boxing semi-final match is pretty keen. I wonder if...

We just had a Battle Royale big brawlvlike 1-2 years ago.
Convergence.

Every fight with writer's waifu is such a dumb fight

ruined DC singlehandedly

It works in Anime

youtu.be/BJm72pFHaRI

Also like, a shit load of great kung fu movies.

>Enter the Dragon
>The Flying Guillotine
>Bloodsport

Sorry MASTER of the Flying Guillotine.

Yeah it would be simple enough story wise to make them fight each other without it being forced

So do they just talk to each other in speedy chipmunk voices in that fight?

The way he hangs in the air for just a moment

I get that Batman is either overconfident or has a death wish, but he really shouldn't have provoked Zoom if he wanted to live. He should've just stalled him with discussion about how much Barry sucks or something until he came back

Talking is a free action.

so sexy. This right here is the entire reason Something Unlimited was made. Thank you.

I didn't know the dub had gotten this far already

Given the nature of the way stories are told in American comics versus the way they're told in Manga, tournament arcs just aren't practical.
In Manga, especially weekly series, you can spend dozens and dozens of chapters on a tournament, with each fight getting several chapters to themselves.
American comics are usually monthly, and they're not as decompressed as Manga (though they're considerably more decompressed now than they were a few decades ago). You can't spend more than 3 issues on a single fight, and you spend over a dozen issues on the same arc people will start to complain.

Then there's another factor to keep in mind. Manga tend to favor "rivalries" and glorify fighting as a way for men to communicate with their fists. The whole point of the tournament is to prove who's stronger, which all the characters aspire to be, and rivals settling things.
In the West, there are no real rivalries. Heroes either view other heroes as colleagues or as heroes they don't particularly like, they don't care about who's stronger. There are never any "friendly" battles to see who's stronger, if 2 heroes fight it's either because of a misunderstanding, a disagreement, a training session or mind control. Superheroes don't care about proving that they're stronger, so they wouldn't waste their time fighting in a tournament to do so.

Also, Manga characters are willing to only fight the Villain in a one-on-one battle in a tournament with rules while his allies watch and comment about it instead of helping.
Superheroes wouldn't care about any of that shit and would just go after the villain the moment they see him. Superheroes don't view battles as something glorious, honorable or cool. They view it as something that has to be done to save lives and punish evil.
I believe this scene exemplifies this.

A Manga hero would never say this. He'd say "Yeah, it's an honor to defeat a strong guy like you"

Had cape comics ever done tournament arcs? That's a shounen thing

Wait Goku can use speed force now?

Batman still won

imgur.com/gallery/eudqk

>Superheroes don't view battles as something glorious, honorable or cool. They view it as something that has to be done to save lives and punish evil.

Even though Wonder Woman doesn't glorify battle, I think she and Thor do see it as something honorable, at least.

They're more of an exception because of their warrior culture backgrounds. But even then, when they face truly evil people they don't view it as honorable and won't show respect for their foes.

youtube.com/watch?v=Pr5poGAZ9Tk

DBZ vs Marvel/DC tournament when?

Every fight where Batman managed to put uyp a fight against someone that completely outclasses him is a dumb fight.

One word for you, OP - Triumph.

That's hardly winning. I'll agree that he shouldn't have been able to hit Thawne in the least, but Bruce definitely didn't win that fight. Thawne just so happened to die immediately after winning.

it's hardly a triumph when ever single time batman's back is against the wall for a second he pulls out an asspull win. He's not interesting to read or watch anymore. He's not like BTAS batman where he fucking struggles to win against guys like freeze, and he's not like BTBATB where he's full on badass goofy camp. HE's like this faux realistic badass that always wins, yet keeps making stupid decisions.

what are torunaments on cape comics?

batgod prob foresaw that
Thawne should have killed him in one hit unless there was some sort of paralysing gas under Batman's armor, or some other bullshit. You can't beat someone with his reflexes, whatever you're able to do. It's like your friend does punches at you in slow motion, while you go normal speed, no chances