Are there any good Green Lantern stories besides Johns' run and the New Frontier?

people seem obsessed with this character but they don't seem to recommend anything besides Johns' stuff. i guess reddit is just filled with Johnsfags

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/?61uc41wvvv46avs
mediafire.com/?3u4faw9u579refm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>hurr durr im a casual and cant even do one second of googling

god fucking damnit just kill yourself

>reddit

regardless, I'll take your bait

Green Lantern/Green Arrow
Marv Wolfman/Staton GL (GL v2 #133-153)
Tales of the Corps, the mini and the annuals
Green Lantern: Emerald Dawn
Green Lantern: Emerald Dawn II
GL Mosaic
Guy Gardner/Guy Gardner Warrior
Flash and Green Lantern: The Brave and the Bold
Justice (by Ross/Krieger)
Legend of the Green Flame
Green Lantern: Willworld
Ganthet's Tale
Most of Marz GL is good
The Brave and the Bold v3 #1-6, 19-22, 30

and for Hal in particular all his Spectre material was good but not entirely GL related

Peter tomasi's run on GLC is just as good as johns run on the main GL book.

>a bunch of casuals haven't read anything from before 2005
Shocking.

>Green Lantern/Green Arrow
As a GA fan this was great. Never heard what Hal fans thought of it cause it is a GA book first.

But thanks for the list. Have Green Lanterns on my pull list and its making me interested in the older stuff

>GA book first
>First John
>Maltus

What?

go back

I think Gibbons is the guy who had the real stellar run on that book. Tomasi followed him up with a good book sure, but it dropped more plot lines and characters and was written more for the trade. It lacked a certain fast paced spark Gibbons had.

One user already nailed it, but King's Omega Men had a good take on Kyle.
Morrison had great concepts in his JLA run too.

>As a GA fan this was great. Never heard what Hal fans thought of it cause it is a GA book first.
it was a Green Lantern book first but O'Neil tended to use Hal as a bit of an ignorant strawman and instead of depicting him as the hyper confident guy he typically was he added a lot of self doubt into Hal's character

still worth a read though

All the stories were political and down to earth. That makes it a GA story.

This.

I honestly dropped GLC when Tomasi took over because it was clearly just a tie-in to Geoff's run instead of giving the side characters true focus.

This guy has it

Add King's Omega Men for Kyle and Soule's Red Lanterns for Guy.

Has John had a good story since Mosaic?

Also is the 2011 New Guardians any good?

Read the first 12 issues, then pretend it got cancelled.

Not.... really. Most of Hal's stories up until that point were set on Earth. He didn't go all that cosmic until the 80s.

Willworld was neat.
Waid's Flash GL Brave and the Bold mini was solid.
Circle of Fire was good. BKV doing what was essentially a contained Kyle mini.
JLA/Avengers maybe sort of counts because it used Krona?

I have heard that Johnfriends liked Van Jensen's GLC but I haven't read it

2011 New Guardians was fun for the first two volumes when it was a team book between the different Corps, after it became solo Kyle circlejerk it was not good

>JLA/Avengers maybe sort of counts because it used Krona?
it used Krona and it had a well written Hal, I guess it counts

Thing is once you hit O'Neil GL was pretty much all good except for Gerard Jones and Raab. Sometimes nothing remarkable. But at the least a good few bucks slapped down on the counter every month. Even before O'neil there were plenty of good issues. Granted, there were also less than 80 total. So it's not like GL went through long looong stretches of horrible shit. The Jones era probably stands out because it was very mediocre and when all tie ins and spin offs are added together, it was about a hundred issues.

Why do you choose to sperg out like a butthurt faggot and not sperg out constructively by listing your favourite runs? How do you plan to win the heart of that fake geek girl who's always buying Harley Quinn comics at your LCS if you haven't got your rec list down, you beta faggot?

Are there any GL arcs that involve them dealing with space-crime in the vein of REBELS or LEGION? Like, dealing with established species and aliens from the DC Universe Not necessarily pic related, as I'm not big on Lobo, but Thanagarians or Martians or Tamaranians would be cool. Just stuff outside of what is the norm since Johns of fighting different-coloured Lanterns, which is a fine concept, but a bit old after a while.

I have read Rann/Thanagar War. It was pretty good, I enjoyed how it blended degrees of space politics stories that felt like they had been an established history.

The first (Or second?) major post Johns arc was the Durlan's hatching a plot. It was so-so. If it was built to stand on its own it would be good, but it had this ting of tearing down the Johns era in it too.

Same with Godhead, featuring the New Gods. Except that was also shit besides just tearing things down.

>except for Gerard Jones and Raab
and Winick
don't forget Winick

That story is called Uprising
Besides the main issues, there were also some preludes in GL and GLC
It's nothing magnificient, but a solid blockbuster featuring some alien races

What about older GL arcs? Pre-Johns? Was it just them fighting a selection of earth-based villains and JL villains? Dealing with Sinestro or Star Sapphire or Black Hand or something?

I've heard about Cosmic Odyssey, but never been able to find a torrent anywhere, was it any good? It's Mignola?

Sounds interesting, I'll check it out.

Got any download links? I'm particularly interested by Willworld and Legend of the Green Flame, which are solos, but any of this list looks nice.

Oh, and another one, GLC: Recharge
It's very similar to Uprising, but much better, with the Spider Guild creating an alliance against the GLs
It was co-written by Johns and Gibbons, with Gleason on art
Actually, if you haven't yet, also check out GLC by Gibbons before Sinestro Corps War
It features many different planets and weird aliens
Sadly, since then, it's been nothing but emotional spectrum shit

From what I recall of Winick, he was juuust north of mediocre. He didn't fuck up too brutally bad. Not bad enough to hate. But yeah, not great.

Fairly little alien stuff in a way. That's the problem, it was mostly dicking around Earth. There were spats of space stuff, but nothing tht was a meaty space opera tale or anything.

I think I have both of those, give me a sec

Legend of the Green Flame is sort of a wrap up to all the Action Comics Weekly stories. Or some... I forget which ones.

It takes place during ACW, namely right after Katma Tui is killed, but you can read it standalone no problem

here user

mediafire.com/?61uc41wvvv46avs

mediafire.com/?3u4faw9u579refm

You sure? Wikipedia says it was meant to be published in an anthology but it never did, because since Byrne's reboot Hal didn't know Clark was Superman, so they held off on it until they published a Gaiman collection in 2000?

Thanks very much user, you're a legend.

I recall Gaiman saying as much in the intro to my copy, but I haven't read it in years. I remember Etrigan in hell, that's about it. It's been years. Sorry guys.

Yeah there's a scene in Legend of the Green Flame that happens right after this scene from Action Comics Weekly but you don't need to know anything about ACW, you just need to know Hal is always a mess

no worries user

No problem user, thanks for working to keep newfags like me on the straight and narrow.

You're spoiling me today user, backstory and everything? Thanks very much.

Soule's Red Lanterns is terrible and Kyle drags down Omega Men.

no problem, hope you enjoy it user

Okay I tend to get bits of the 80s jumbled for the overall DC universe. Like I know the order of events for most characters, but not as they relate to each other. Is Bruce being a dick because Jason just died? Or because edgy Bruce was in?

Yeah he's being a cock because this is right after Jason died

why are GL threads always so comfy?

I remember the GL:TAS threads were all kind because of a pervading sense of eventual doom and the show's message of hope and will, but I didn't know the comic threads were this nice.

GL threads are kind of a 50/50 shot whether you'll get something comfy or if it'll be nothing but characterfag shitposting

this one's been nice so far

The lack of GLs in the other medias made the chances of having random posters slim
yet it's not always comfy, just go on and try to mention Kyle

you're playing with fire user

I hate worst Lantern slap fighting. I like them all to one degree or another.

I do have my favorites and least favorites but I don't really hate any of them and GL threads turning into X IS SHIT is lame

Ron Marz run.

I like Kyle.

Exactly. Sure I have favorites, sure I don't mind calling Hal an idiot or saying John has no good stories for some shitposting fun now and then, but I love having all six active. THAT PAGE, you know the one, from last week? God I want that as a poster.

This one? Yeah, that was a good page

Also all of them hanging out for a few pages was adorable

Yeah. That's the one. I figured any fan would just know.

A version without text too? Neat. I kind of liked having the oath on it, but the font chosen didn't feel right.

it's nice having both versions