Disney Parks thread

anyone know if Avatarland is any good?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_p4mn5BstQo
youtu.be/QSmGZexZ2R0?t=15m55s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I feel like all the hype around that movie was 100% marketing and nobody really liked it

Mission Breakout > Tower of Terror

Going to remind everyone that Terminator also had a sequel a decade after the original that came with a theme park tie in, and that's regarded as one of the best action movies ever.

I know, right? I couldn't sit through the first half hour of it. I guess the visuals would be impressive in IMAX, but that isn't enough to keep my ass in the seat. This is a waste of space at Disney.

I'm still waiting in line to wait in the line for avatarland. Been here since the attraction opened . I'll let you know once I get in

I'm feeling the Avatar sequels are going to fucking bomb because:
1.- They are going to be released almost 10 years after the original
2.- No one asked for the sequels
3.- Avatar is not as huge as it was during it's release
Trust me, Avatarland is going to end like Bugs Land.

I think some of the hyper was genuine, since the 3D was actually really good. There's a reason the movie made an assload of money. The problem with it as far as sustained interest is that if you take the 3D away you're left with a flashy but mediocre movie, so Avatar had no staying power. The hype died down quickly the following year (probably due to the Blu-ray release, which didn't have 3D to serve as a crutch).

Though by now I think even the few hardcore fans the movie had have abandoned it.

Terminator was still well-liked and fresh in pop culture memory by the time T2 came out. Avatar doesn't benefit from that and most people don't remember anything about it except that it had blue cat people.

About as good as River Country.

But the first Terminator was a good movie

Just based on online coverage, land itself is really well executed, boat ride is underwhelming as fuck in that there really isn't much to it beyond the one animatronic, and I hear Flight of Passage is really good.

>No one asked for the sequels

Everyone asked for the sequels

It's a really beautiful land, haven't been on the rides on my first visit though cause I wasn't gonna kill my feet for 8 hours for 2 rides.

I've been on both rides during my AP preview. The river ride three times in a row thanks to having no line. Ask me what you want.

River Journey is neat, but it feels like a tech showcase than a real ride. Not too memorable but it looks great and the animatronic is sick. Worth a FastPass or a 30 minute wait or so. Totally not worth an hour or more.

Flight of Passage is really great. Think Soarin' or Star Tours but the 3D actually works. You can tell it's a screen of course but it works far better than anything Disney has done before. The motion is great, the fact that your seat "breathes" goes a long way, and best of all fatties can't ride it. The CGI is solid and the queue is worth spending some time in. Not worth the current wait times, but worth an hour to two easily combined with the ride. It'll be the premiere AK ride for a while.

The theming is solid throughout since it's completely isolated from the rest of the park save some signage. The mountains are smaller than the photos make them out to be, but it's still large. Not a ton to do in the land outside the two rides, but the quick service place is supposed to be good.

Supposedly they're planning more expansions to Animal Kingdom according to rumors that may include a new area of the world.

Overall it's bretty good

Current rumor is they're finally killing off Dinorama in favor of a new attraction possibly using the Universe of Energy dinosaurs once they get evicted for some stupid-ass Guardians of the Galaxy ride.

What is the animatronic in the boat ride
I-is it scary

youtube.com/watch?v=_p4mn5BstQo

This, the Orlando ToT was way better then the monstrosity we got at CA, mission breakout turned out to be a really welcomed change from that weak ToT

Let's see how long before this gets moved to /trv/.

Shit sucks, but what can you do

>Disney has Theme Park rights to Alien movies
>They will never remake "Alien Encounter" show with a Xenomorph
>It would "damage their family friendly image"
Fuck you Disney

Did anyone ever figure out where the animatronic head in the lower left of the case came from? I feel like it's definitely from another ride.

Anyone have an idea what the Avengers hatch by mission breakout is for?

this.

Give it time. They've already gone from scary to dumb. A couple more Prometheus/Coveneant tier movies and they'll end up being kid friendly.

When theme parks upgrade rides they have a tendency to include references to the predecessor, so maybe something from Tower of Terror?

Did that have animatronics? I haven't been to Disney in like 20 years.

I've actually been in the Avatar fan's forums….and the sheer amount of autism there is monumental.

There are people who still like it but they're not all there/have any sense of taste.

Probably the teaser of where the avengers attraction is going to be located, it seems that the whole parking slot behind Mission Breakout, alongside with Hollywoodland and Bugsland is about to become Marvel land, they will surely reveal the details at D23

Can we discuss how they replaced Spirit of Norway in Epcot with a lazy fucking Frozen ride? One not even set in a real country, let alone Norway? A replacement that came with some actual, educational parts of the area being replaced with Frozen "lore"? I wouldn't even mind if the ride was good, but it's just one anamatonic after another focusing on telling a "story". No scenery whatsoever aside from one thing in each room you're expected to stare at for 50 or so seconds. Good dark room rides (Perer Pan, Whinnie the Pooh) are all about scenery and giving your eyes something different to see each time, not trying to hamfist a story into the worst medium for that.

Yeah, I suppose, but Frozen is a huge thing.
Any of that fit into anything is going to draw a big crowd.

It's from It's a Small World.

youtu.be/QSmGZexZ2R0?t=15m55s

The head looks way too big to be from a Small World doll.

Tower of Terror didn't have animatronics.

This.

Tony Baxter on why they never built a Robin Hood ride back in the 70s

>“Whether it’s a good movie or not is beside the point. It’s a movie that’s characters, there’s no atmosphere in it. I call it ‘sticks and stones and rocks and leaves’. First you have the stone walls outside the castle, then the stone walls inside the castle, then the leaves in the forest, that’s it. There are no exotic environments, you just have all these scenes with Robin meeting Friar Tuck, then Robin meeting Little John, then Robin meeting Maid Marian. That’s when I figured it out: the rides are about exotic places not characters. The best attractions are where you suddenly find yourself in a jewel mine or flying over London"

Would you say the hardcore base is still as large as it was in 2009 or has it seriously shrunk?

So this was before the complaints about people not seeing certain lead characters on their respective rides.

Wouldn't know not part of the hardcore fanbase. Merely liked the movie.

Those complaints had been around since Disneyland's opening day in 1955.

When Avatap 2 comes out, cameron haters will be BTFO again.

Not him, I think it has. I remember around 2010-2011 I could check in on Avatar forums and see people who are obviously still sperglords but no more than you'd find in other franchises. Last I checked the only kinds of people left are closer to furfags, people who genuinely wish they could pull a Jake Sully and become Na'vi and live on Pandora.

Yeah, the character additions to the Fantasyland rides happened in the 80s, but they still emphasized environment and mood after the fact. Snow White's ride is still "All the scary shit from the movie packed into three minutes", Pan's an enchanting flight through London and Neverland, Toad still doesn't show up in his own ride outside of statues, and the Pinocchio ride they added also has that strong emphasis on putting you through all the scary shit from the movie.

Good thing Disney's pandered to that demographic in the merch offerings for Pandora by giving you all the cat ears, tails and Na'vi skin print clothes you need. They even got Na'vi weapons that look like they were designed by Bad Dragon.

That looks amazing. I want to see it in person.

Yes blue cat socks with blue cat sandals, a winning combination

D-don't kinkshame me

Blue cat tails, ears, shirts, face painting stations and I think there's even some headband thing that gives you the sex ponytail

Does that all fall under the no cosplay unless you're 13 or younger rule.

I don't think anyone I know has even seen this movie.

Maybe if you wore all that junk with one of those Jake Sully masks that was shelfwarming in the Menards Halloween decorations it would, but otherwise, it's not quite enough to make it a fully formed costume.

My life is not complete unless I have a fucking Na'vi tail I can wear in public

>Tails
Those better disappear quickly, and quietly.
For they know not what evils will be unleashed.

Oh I think they know exactly what they've unleashed