Budget: 38 million

>Budget: 38 million
>Box Office: 45.4 million

I don't normally care when films flop but this one stings cause it was legitimately great.

Could've been worse

I just don't get it

What families want? What Boss baby promised that this movie didn't?

Films need to double their budget, so they've lost about 31 million on this.

Releasing it against Wonder Woman was retarded. Even if WW sucked people were gonna go watch it.
CU was number two, right behind it, but earned 60 million dollars less.

Advertisement budget

Dreamworks really let it down with its advertising.
The film had ONE trailer and zero teaser trailers.

Plus I don't know about you, but I never saw any posters or ads on tv.

Boss Baby appeals to parents (particularly baby crazy mothers), where Captain Underpants doesn't. Parents really, really do not want to see something that they think is going to be screaming, obnoxious, loud, and basically made exclusively for the 12 year olds instead of being partially for their parents like a good disney film. And everything about Captain Underpants just drips 'garbage that your little shitstain crotch spawn will be screaming at the top of his lungs in your ears for months to come, if you make the dire mistake of taking your kid to see it'.

I would have liked to see this movie succeed but honestly I saw this coming from a mile away.

What fucking cu ads? They probably spent like 100 bucks on the one

Calling your movie "The first" or any variation of is just inviting a curse

to be fair it isn't being released in a lot of countries till July, August, or even later, so it still has a chance to make some decent money

The Boss Baby book wasn't despised by Soccer Moms

I'm from Germany and I can confirm this
we don't even have ads for this movie
if it wasn't for Sup Forums I wouldn't have heard about it

This movie is not playing at the Cinemark in the fairly big town I live in which is really weird considering how it is a Dreamworks movie.

>Captain Underpants
>Evil Toilets
>Was number 2

I don't see how this is bad.

it comes out in germany in fucking october

It's only a week in. They can probably make back their budget in time, especially since it's summer. But it's a shame it's underperforming regardless, the movie is fantastic and deserves more recognition. It's like Kubo all over again.

This also. CU is only in America right now while WW is a global release. DC pulls this shit all the time to inflate numbers, just like with BvS and SS.

how about not releasing movies in summer?

They can do that because kids don't pirate movies with foreign dubs.

Summer Vacation m8. Kids are off so parents need to take them to the theater to shut them up for two hours

reminder that film budgets are inflated to fuck for tax reasons, and any film that "breaks even" is fairly profitable

kinda makes me wonder what would happen to the film industry if it was legally required to accurately report both budgets and earnings, instead of allowing the bullcrap that is Hollywood Accounting to continue

it already covered it's budget so the rest is profit, i think it'll be fine, but i'm not surprised it's not a runaway hit.

It was released after most of the fans of the books had already grown up, but before they had kids.

>potty humour
>black best friend
>lol adults are great when they are acting like diaper wearing toddlers
This is literally all that is wrong with modern media, I'm glad it's doing badly

>This is literally all that is wrong with modern media, I'm glad it's doing badly

You're aware that it's based off of books made a decade or so earlier, right? Please tell me you're trolling, I legitimately can't tell because Poe's Law is a bitch.

The series is probably older than that shithead
>The franchise is 19 years old now.

A baby. Also most kids that would watch this movie today are too young to know CU. This should have happened back around the turn of the millenium, or they should have done a bigger book rollout to try and revitalize the franchise with schools, instead of just making the movie and banking on the 90s kid audience.

Still could've been worse...

Dredd, for example, its budget was about 50 million, only made a box office of 35.

WORLDWIDE.

The trailers for Dredd were atrocious.

Threads about underperforming "deserving" media are always comfy.

>Threads about underperforming "deserving" media are always comfy.

I'm the one person who loved the Guy Ritchie King Arthur movie that just came out and wish it was a huge hit.

It's a lonely life.

I liked that movie too. Many of those scenes felt fresh, stylish, and dope. Then again I feel like I might just be watching movies that the "critics" aren't watching because I felt movies like After Earth or the prequels were good too. Maybe I've just got Asperger's or something and can't recognize "bad acting" or "bad dialogue" these guys complain about or it's a biproduct of learning English as a second language.
Yeah, that movie was very beautifully animated for its budget. Simple but tight backgrounds, I felt the 3D helped add to its blend with 2D as it made some of the details really pop.

Releasing it alongside Cars 3 and Despicable Me 3 would've been even more retarded. I think they were right to have it out when they did unless they saved it for Winter but then it'd be up against Star Wars. Just not a good place for this movie I guess.

Also the idea that 'depowered protaganist = turning into psychopath antagonist that wants to kill you so now you have double the trouble if fighting other antagonist' is a nice twist.

I would've scheduled it for fall. Only Ninjago comes out in September and it would've had a good three week streak if it released on Labor Day.

I get that same feeling. Sometimes I just enjoy a film as it is and don't try to pick the shit out of it analyzing it.

Fall isn't a good time to release kids movies though because everyone is back in school/work. The only other option I can think of is on Thanksgiving but Star Wars would quickly overthrow it once that's out.

Hasn't aired in most countries

I think what Dreamworks needs to do is just let the movie sift for a while and then plop it on Netflix later in the year. You'll likely have a lot more kids watching it when it's on Netflix. Release a sequel in a few years and more people will be excited for it.

Is there a rip yet? I'm gonna pay to go see it but it's not out until July here.

Pokemon the first movie?

That was just what they called the movie when they released it English. By that time, the second movie had already been released in Japan and the third was in production. So they knew there would be more movies.

>No movies at all for 2018
Is it over? Is Dreamworks finished?

>TFW the shitty Mummy reboot is doing better than this movie

Why are movie goers complete morons?

This movie either came too late or too soon. The earliest possible generation of Captain Underpants readers- those who were at the proper age when the very first book was released, would be around 30 today- just barely old enough to have kids who might be interested, only if they popped one out as soon as they hit 20. This is a tiny slice of the population, 'Captain Underpants fans who were in the age group to only read the first book, then got married immediately and had a child as soon as possible to take to the movie'. So they can't pander to the 'nostalgic parent' audience, and the movies came out too late to be visible in the eyes of kids who would read the books. Either they should have come out with it ten years earlier or delayed it for another 5-10 years, they managed to release it in a really awkward sweet spot.

>box office greater than budget
>flop

Either I don't know how films work or this is really stupid.

You times the budget by at least 2

most sources estimate around double the production budget to break even, there is a lot of jewcounting going on in the background to really truly know if a movie has really been considered a financial success by the studio itself.

Which is why discussions about financial success end up in nothing but baiting and shitposting as Sup Forums proves once again that they know shit about the topic of their own board.

Not even released worldwide yet. Just because it underperforms in America doesn't mean it's a flop.

It came out like 10 years too late to be relevant.

You're supposed to assume the budget is at least twice what it's stated, but there's also a lot of bullshit in "hollywood accounting", where they come up with creative ways to rack up debts without actually racking up debts to skip out on paying actors/skip paying taxes/etc. A clunky way of doing this is to have the studio simply pay itself a huge amount of money to make the film a flop on paper, while they still have the money, but there are more subtle ways of accomplishing the same goal.

Either way, even if you take the budget at face value, hollywood studios don't want to get 10 million back for paying 30 million, they want a half billion or a billion out of every production. They won't finance future movies which "succeeded" but only gave back 30% profit, when they could use the same money and the same resources to make the sequel to the mega hit that gave them back 3,000% profit.

I think once presales are accounted for, I think the movie would be profitable, if so slightly. I don't know if it's sabotage from Fox or a really tight marketing budget with DWA, but I don't think they put a huge effort in marketing since the movie's performing exactly as they're expecting. DWA is pretty public about their reactions when it comes to a film being a dissapointment.
Now if the movie cost as much as they normally do (close to $100 mill or more), then it'd be a disaster.

It's all part of their transition to Universal Pictures. They have 2 movies coming out in 2019.

How is "Hollywood Accounting" not outright fraud?

I sell you a crappy old Vigilante comic for a dollar. You give me a dollar, and I put it in my pocket. I take the comic out of my backpack and give it to you. I just made a dollar, right?

Nope. My pocket was one corporation (which I own). My backpack was another corporation (which I also own).

My backpack corporation had expenses of $0.15 for the comic itself, which it passes on to the pocket corporation with a perfectly reasonable profit markup, as a charge of $0.20. In addition, my backpack corporation now charges a fee of $0.65 for its services of marketing and distribution. In total, it charges $0.85 to my pocket.

My pocket corporation has to stay in business, too. So it passes its costs on to me (with a perfectly reasonable profit markup) as $0.95. Plus it has expenses involved in accepting and managing that dollar, and it bills me a paltry $0.06 for the service.

Bam! I'm in the red! You only paid me $1.00, but I had to spend $1.01!

Poor old Joe over here helped me track down that comic, and I promised him 50% of the profits once I sold it. But there aren't any profits, just losses. Sorry, Joe!

Meanwhile, what really happened? $1.00 came into my self-contained system, and $0.15 went out, for a true profit of $0.85. Everything else I charged myself within the system is irrelevant, if not imaginary. Claiming anything else is an outright falsehood, with the explicit purpose of deception to deprive others of property. The classic definition of criminal fraud.

And yet we act like it's perfectly legit. How come the movies can get away with it, but if you or I tried it we'd be in jail?

So we can expect "Captain Underpants: The Second Epic Movie" around the same time as "Doug's 2nd Movie"?

It's usually around 2.5x their budget, sometimes more.

lmao

user from poland here, captain underpants is opening next month.

Nah. The Euro market still exists and they don't have to compete with anything big. Also, they spent next to nothing for advertising, I wouldn't be surprised if they are already making profits. Even then, thay made a few millions losses at most and this movie is well-made, so they might as well make a second movie to fish for an Oscar or just for the sake of the art. And considering how long they waited to get the rights for this movie, they would propably see it as a waste if they didn't made a second one.

Marketing was terrible though

Is it out? I didn't know. I used to read the Captain Underpants books and no one seems to know. I knew it was due, but things need a push before you get that market of parents just taking their kids to watch whatever's on

>to fish for an Oscar
Do you really think that a bunch of 63 years old on average, drama wanking, snobby old assholes would vote for a movie called Captain Underpants? They don't even watch the freakin' Chinese fuckin' things that nobody ever freakin' saw, they just vote for movies based on the title and whether Disney made it. Dreamworks realizes this as much as anyone, they wouldn't push fucking Captain Underpants as oscar bait.

>For your consideration DVD arrives
>It's just a copy of Captain Underpants with the Disney label scotch-taped on

And Boss Baby gets a sequel

Can you explain further or provide link for information like that. I'm genuinely intrigued

>Trump baby movies triumphs over diversity and fag pandering

The Sup Forums salt will season my food for months.

>Implying Boss baby is good

I hate that people act a movie has to make 200% in profits within opening weekend to be considered a success.
Home video and ondemand sales still count. Hell this thing'll prolly make 70mil by the time it's in dollar theaters. 100mil+ by Black Friday.

>And yet we act like it's perfectly legit. How come the movies can get away with it, but if you or I tried it we'd be in jail?
honestly the only reason I can think of why it's still legal is that quite simply Hollywood would collapse completely without it

Yeah, but they do that all the time.
There's still room for them to go nah, forget it and pull the plug after years of work had already gone into it like with Croods 2.

You are absolutely right, but it's not like there's much competition for animated movies this year in general. Disney has fuck all besides Cars, and critics have always been vocal about their hatred for that series. Outside the Lego Movies it's just Despicable Me and the Emoji Movie, and there's a snowballs chance in hell either is going to get any awards (DM might be decent though). Good word of mouth might get it nominated at the very least.

You are not going to like this, but is the "underpants" part of it. Even between stupid children movies, there is such a thing as low brow.

Do you remember how there were the type of kids who red Harry Potter, and the type of kids who red Wimpy Kid? Same thing here.

Who even gives a shit about the Oscars?

Personally I think the Oscars are complete shit, but it can serve as way to make more obscure movies known to a wide group of people.

The trick is appealing to kids vs appealing to their parents. The novel series can be popular because mom can buy a book with 'underpants' in the title if her kid asks for it since she never has to actually read the thing, but she'll need more convincing if she personally has to sit through 90 minutes of an animated film about a man in his underwear. Underpants appeals to kids but it doesn't appeal to parents, who are the people who you actually have to market toward, since they control what they take their kids to see.

A lot of people even within the oscar community were disappointed that the lego movie got snubbed. The "freakin' chinese fuckin' things that nobody ever freakin' saw" guy was bitching about that (and how two non-chinese indie films beat it out) for instance. Without a disney film to vote for, I think they'll go ahead and hand the oscar to one of the lego movies as a belated political move, as a way to sort of honorarily nominate the original lego movie.

dude, we already know this year's Oscar winner.

Yeah, chances are this is probably what's going to happen. But again, I'm not expected CU to actually win anything, just get nominated through word of mouth.

I'm surprised Kristen Schaal can actually sound somewhat like an adult.

>no actual third act

Of course this movie bombed. Felt gypped.

Boss Baby was unironically better

The budget is inflated to get tax write offs, the blame goes more to the government for its absurd tax rates than Hollywood using tricks to avoid them

Dredd made more than that and it made a substantial profit once it was released to home media. There are movies that don't do well in theatres but do very well once released on DVD/blue ray

Well enough to make producers think about a sequel but not guarantee it though

Because it was long overdue. If this movie had been released at the peak the fame of the Captain Underpants books circa 2003/4/5, then it would have been a huge box office draw among kids bringing their parents along. But those kids are now in their late 10s/20s and just don't give a fuck anymore.

The Oscars are a fucking joke

Wasn't there one recently where someone was talking about how they loved watching "My life as a Zucchini" and then followed it up with "I loved the concept of a movie about a talking Zucchini"

>no actual third act

The fuck did you think the Toilenator fight onwards was, user?

A very rushed gag

I religiously read these as a kid and I'm 30. My age group has kids of their own for sure.

Its rather obscure. I didnt know about it until the movie came out, and in the surface it just looks as Minions.

>it just looks as Minions.
Do you see little small monster imps memeing around?

Only two, chasing after a half-naked Humpty Dumpty. ¿Is he PG streaking?

so it seems like a movie about defeating humorless adults actually got defeated by humorless adults, huh? if parents gave the film a chance i think they'd like it - it was very visually pleasing, genuinely funny, and had a nice central theme. I hate that I grew up thinking that becoming adults would somehow make the idiots I went to school with would become slightly rational somehow. Disney movies are visually stunning, but beyond that they're about as stale as they come - but no potty humor, at least!

>rushed gag
>when it was the focal point of the entire second half of the movie

What do you mean?

They were probably banking on Wonder Woman to continue the bad streak of DCEU movies and get the "this is the better capeshit movie to see right now" buzz.

bump