Can somebody explain hypercrisis?

I have a vague awareness of it, but I can't find anything on the 'net. Just what is the madman Morrison talking about?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sxnKMKp06V0
dropbox.com/s/bwrjjgksvfp11yp/The Beginner's WikiGuide to Hypercrisis.pdf?dl=0
youtube.com/watch?v=HQoRXhS7vlU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Stuff like this gets made:

youtube.com/watch?v=sxnKMKp06V0

Resulting metaphysical psychic energy is enough to make the idea come true.

META MAGIK
(pic unrelated hoping I can side track this into a general grant appreciation thread.)

Just retards wanking over stuff breaking the 4th wall

its better then this fucking dumb DC vs Doctor Manhattan shit, thats only purpose seems to be pissing of Moore. Multiveristy was amazing and It was mental just to drop all the ideas from it as fast as they did.

Because people have been writing DC comics and characters for a very long time, the same few ideas and stories tend to crop up again and again. This is magic and extremely groundbreaking. Please take it seriously and also give Grant Morrison a movie deal.

But the time of Multiversity is already part of Rebirth, I think they are in the "New Superman" title(???)

It's literally nothing, just a pretentious way of glorifying a relatively simple storytelling device (breaking the fourth wall) and mystifying the fact that sometimes stories are similar to one another.

really that's cool if true, I haven't read it so I wouldn't know myself.

It's the same principle as conspiracy theories: If you want to see a pattern, you WILL see it.

In Hypercrisis, this means seeing the number 52 everywhere in key moments and having other kinds of synchronicities. Our pattern-seeking minds then form a coherent image about the seemingly connected elements, forming a kind of metastory. That's the hypercrisis.

The difference to conspiracy theorists is that in Hypercrisis this gets bundled with another form of magical thinking: If I think it hard enough, it will be true. So Hypercrisis nerds are aware that the patterns they see might be just their pattern-seeking brains making patterns of statistically unrelatable things. But then they think that that makes it true.

That's it.

I'd say that's not entirely fair, partly its about story structure as part of cambellian narrative analysis, where the mythic hero belongs in more complex modern stories that kind thing, Partly its about British occultism and the para physical ( thelema, ootgd shit) then yeah the rest is fuckery of a grand and lavish style.

Ok I think that is the Multiplicity crossover between the Super titles from before the reunification of the two Supermen.

>Boils down to Optimistic comics (Golden Age style) vs Cynical grim comics (90s00s style).

Optimist stories and escapism let you leave behind bad thoughts n emotions, but Cynicism & grimdark stories propogate them making those feelings worse

>Ppl say Watchmen & DKR doin well ushered in Grim Dark stories.
Now they LITERALLY will have made the heroes lives darker (tearing away years for New52).The big question is WHY Manhattan did it

"Ultra Comics" & "Pax Americana" have sortof Manhattans who are aware of the reader.
If Manhattan was aware of that too, he also knows about "The Gentry", some...thing that infects readers with harmful thoughts & depression THROUGH comics, which would stop readers buying books, and books being cancelled is a multiverse (publisher) dying.

What IF Manhattan made comics darker and darker to lure "The Gentry" in so it could be defeated by the heroes, >restoring optimism to comics and their readers.
All the while your reading this is making it just as likely to fail and infect you with harmful thoughts/ starting the OBLIVION MACHINE

>thelema

Literally the most hipster bullshit religion ever conceived.

I can't help but notice that Morrison doesn't seem to appreciate any of the actually interesting historical figures who were/may have been occultists, like Inigo Jones.

>Thelema

Yeah, I think it doesn't fly with most of what Crowley has said. Why would you have to organize yourself in that way if your own self-growth is the main goal?

I guess chaos magic is closer to what Crowley wrote (but certainly not to what he did) than Thelema

>Allister Crowley wasn't one of the more interesting people to live into the 20th century, the man was a triple agent for the allies in the war while living in an Italian castle, having sex with seemingly everyone he met and take all the psychedelics he could find .
(yeah thelema is nonsense though)

Morrison wants to get the DC universe pregnant.

How will Grant reconcile his love for anarchy with all the crazy terrorist attacks that are happening on his home turf these days?

I wouldn't bet against him.

Terrorism is almost never meant for the purpose of anarchy, but the transition into a new order through a phase of chaos. You can still love something or someone even if they're attributed to things that are terrible. Like here we are fellating Grant's stories, but at the end of the day he's still a Scottish bastard.

So it is sciencefags trying to analyze Meme Magic?

More like Meme Magicians trying to force science

>Can somebody explain hypercrisis?
No, user. Because it is Hypercrisis that explains you.

Your life is someone else's shitty slice-of-life webcomic.

I like this interpretation the best

I dunno. Good thing the tension between chaos/order and love/hate wasn't one of the core themes of The Invisibles or else people might see your argument as a shitty strawman.

I by no means wrote all this but the link was posted on an old Hypercrisis thread

dropbox.com/s/bwrjjgksvfp11yp/The Beginner's WikiGuide to Hypercrisis.pdf?dl=0

Where were you when the Flash saved the Hypercrisis?

>Reality sucks

B-but I WANT consciousness to affect reality b-because of quantum mechanics! What happened to the Copenhagen Interpretation, dammit?

...God. That is awful.

On the other hand, webcomic writers tend to shake things up with magic or aliens when they run out of ideas.

Bump

>Hey guys, did you noticed how the number 52 appears everywhere? It's because metaphysical strings and quantum memetics beyond our comprehension! not because we intentionally added them, no way!
>Holy crap! Thought Robot Superman is about to grab you through the pages, is totally real!

God. Why do you have to be such a bore.

The hypercrisis is the relationship between the comicbook and the comicbook fan.

One cannot exist without the other. Comics need people to read and write them—to exist—and people need comics for inspiration. Heroes and villains, morals and the fight against evil—ideally, comic books, especially characters like Superman (the platonic ideal of a superhero), are meant to inspire and enrich the fan’s life. For a fictional character, this imprint in a fan’s psyche is the closest they’ll get to actual existence.

And some of those fans will go on to write comics themselves, thus inspiring a new generation of fans, and the cycle continues, constantly built up, and reinforced and re-imagined. And perhaps one day, many years from now, that platonic ideal of Superman will finally be realized in the real world.

On the other side of things, if comicbooks turn you into a NEET who shitposts on Sup Forums all day, well, then The Gentry got you.

I wonder if that description in the second-to-last panel applies to an actual comic by Kirby and Lee.

It's good to know something I made was saved by somebody else.

Yes. Fantastic Four 52.

I just read it, for the very first time, the other day.

Coincidence?

youtube.com/watch?v=HQoRXhS7vlU

>The Gentry got you

They got a lot of people who don't even read comic books, if you ask me.

Any sort of media/entertainment.

Imagine getting really high one day while pondering who really shapes the story arcs in comics. Is it the writers, the editors, the company, the audience? All of those, in varying degrees? Or, like, dude, what if the stories shape THEMSELVES?