Why do people hate capeshit? Why is it taken less seriously than say, Shounen? Is it the costumes?

Why do people hate capeshit? Why is it taken less seriously than say, Shounen? Is it the costumes?

Where do you live that doesn't see all shounen as weird weeaboo trash?

it's overdone and stale
there's way too much of it and it's all the same

some of the highest grossing movies. people love capeshit or they wouldnt waste money on it

Just enjoy what you enjoy if it's not hurting anyone user, if your enjoyment is swayed by the opinions of others then you never loved it that much in the first place.

>Why do people hate capeshit
Well, you are on a website that is heavily influenced by Japanese media. Do you really expect that the children on the boards to not act like a bunch of company-war spouting faggots?

Most of it is pretty shallow

Its a combination of multiple things, overall bad quality in the older movies, complete disregard for the comics lore, trying too hard to appeal to normalfags, you name it. And in most cases, accompanied by the hate of something popular

It's the fanbase.
They never learned to hide their power levels.

Also this

It's the bottom of filmmaking, just easy money grabbing. You can rate them in their own class but compared to actual films it's just mindless crap. There are a handful maybe 2 hands of good cape movies and that's it.

Marvel and DC capeshit has been the same thing over and over again since the 90s, they'd rather take no risks than make interesting stories

>hate
no, they are popular
you can say a lot of crap, but it doesnt change your minority opinion
>shonen
some of it is taken seriously, but some of it is not
dont make sweeping generalisations
>is it the costumes
people love the costumes

HEY LOOK GUYS!!!!
A DICK!!

>it's overdone and stale
The same can be said of soap operas, romance novels, action movies, speculative fiction, memoirs, and auto-biographies. But people are allowed to enjoy those for some reason whereas capeshit and rassling are bad and sick and wrong and need to die.

>Why is it taken less seriously than say, Shounen?
It is? Since when? I'd say they're both about equal in terms of inherent stupidity, but there've been a lot better cape comics than shounen ones.

As says they are popular in the US: largest share of comics market are superhero DC and Marvel. Maybe you meant to ask why people grow out of comics as they get older generally, and the few remaining look for more relevant fare?
As a Euroanon it's interesting question: Disney are biggest comic pubs in Italy (kids), and the few adults that read comics prefer Tex, Dylan Dog, and translated franco-belgian works. Marvel only 6% share (for kids again).
pic related, first print run 4 million copies, previous volume sold 5 million

As says ...

Look at this nerd with his fancy Euro-comics.

Do they? Superheroes are insanely popular.

It's because the BIG 2 capeshit took over the medium, while other countries can have more genres and storytelling.

The fact that having creator owned shit is always better than the model that they use on Big 2 speak volumes too.

I'm Italian, and these are standard mainstream fare, not fancy. US comics are "fancy" to us!

Hey look guys, a child!

they're all generally regarded as guilty pleasures or at the very least shlock without artistic integrity, same as comics

capeshit takes it self too seriously and tries to act like it's something more than it is
shounen a lot of the time will embrace the nature of what it is and there's just a wider variety in shounen since it's a bigger demographic

I dunno.
Why do you still use a shitty buzzword used by indiefags and Sup Forumsshitters?

he's obviously a Sup Forumsshitter

Sup Forums trash really needs to be banned from this board.

amen
they can go have their console wars somewhere else, I'm trying to talk about webcomics and cartoons and be a wednesday warrior and all that junk and it's difficult over all the spam

Oldfag here. I grew up in the dark age of comics, where every capeshit was "HURRR SO DARK AND GRITTY AND EDGY". Even as a kid I thought it was fucking stupid, and even now I associate capes with edgy bullshit. I've never been able to shake it.

It's fine if you say that as long as you don't think other Hollywood action movies are "real films". Also OP was obviously talking about comics, go back to Sup Forums any time.

Well Capeshit is basically a Sup Forums word, so one can assume he's talking about the capeshit movies. And he posted a picture of the movie Watchmen and not the comic Watchmen.

To be fair Asterix is one album every other year, not monthly publication.
It's also a sales juggernaut, no other Franco-belgian comics sell as well, it was credited as singlehandedly changing the 2013 exercise from "omg BD is dead" to "BD is healthier than ever".

>auto-biographies
>speculative fiction
>regarded as mindless trash
Nigga to most people even reading books makes you an intellectual.

>Why is capeshit taken less seriously
>Post shitty Snyder Watchmen

Because shonen is such a popular film genre.

>asterix
>fancy

mainstream as fuck in all europe, mate

Because it gets autistic and outlandish and the heroes and villains wear retarded outfits

They don't.
You just hang out on sites that talk about them too much.

is it actually taken less seriously than shounen? 'cause no one takes shounen seriously

But other countries and plenty of creator owned stuff IS CAPE.
Modern capeshit doesn't begin and end with the Big2, and it is stupid to think so.

Why do you hate Alters, Captain Kid, Faith, Invincible, The Spirit, Zodiac Starforce, Red Fury, etc. etc. user?

??

Why would OP compare the popularity of a film genre to a manga "genre"?

I can literary buy it at my grocery store next to the newspapers And at the tabak shop infront of the Supermarket. And at the writing stuff shop. And at the Gas Station and at our local bookshop. And I live in a 3000 people shithole with no train connection. And this isn't the only comic I can get at these locations.

People need to learn that shonen is a demographic, not a genre. Its like when people assume seinen means it'll have tits or violence when things like K-ON are seinen, that's not how it works

there's even plenty of CAPE in Sup Forums too, or are people just going to ignore Boku no Hero Academia and One Punch Man

The genre everyone confuses for shonen (basically the DB/Naruto/One Piece stuff) has a proper name, but I don't remember it. Neketsu?

punchmans

How about Captain Midnight, X, Black Beetle, the Mighty Crusaders, Skyman, The Samaritan and even The Victories?

This whole thread is half-half and fully retarded, but maybe he meant shounen as in fighting movies? There are plenty

BnHA is more of a tribute to cape

One Punch Man is parody that's taken seriously. A reflection of the stupidity of its fans

Black Beetle is an oldschool crime book, not capes, silly

it's possible to be both a parody and serious
it takes itself seriously but that's part of the humor

We talking about the same Black Beetle?

Yeah

That's just the movies, capeshit has been the same thing since the early 60's for the most part.

You sure this doesn't count as cape? I mean yeah its more on the mystery side but he's got an outfit and uses several gadgets. But I guess that depends if you view Shadow as cape too.

I want to use this thread to talk about obscure cape characters

look man it's mystery/crime not cape
just like Nightwing is romance right now, not cape

People are autistic and get triggered by anyone better than them. Plus they think it's juvenile and would rather watch things targeted at sophisticated adults, like Family Guy and Sausage Party.

I'll take that answer

You can be both.

There's really no specifics for the cape genre, merely a design.
You can be a cape comedy like One punch man or the specials. A cape noir like The Spirit or Spiderman Noir. Scifi, fantasy, horror, supernatural, etc. There is nothing about having a superhero in the story that follows ANY requirements beyond a costume, possibly some vigilantism, possibly a second identity.

I just got sick of it after a while. Every big event is pretty much the same thing. Big bad establishes themself by fucking up some higher power character then they are beaten only to come back when the next annual comes out.

Main characters are always the same forced angst driven people that dress up in colorful bodypaint and call themself something wacky each night. Fight but never permanently stop the bad guy so he can return later. Nothing evolves, nothing changes, the story never goes anywhere, everything is status quo.

I just got very burnt out on it. Eventually the whole fighting crime thing was worn out for me.

I got into other comics because I just wanted to see something other than the standard, caped crusader stops costumed villain in downtown over and over again. I actually read Scott Pilgrim because the concept of superpowered people living normal slacker lives seems incredibly interesting to me. And typically non cape comics that deal with more regular lives edge way too far into the "everything is gritty, awful and everyone is on heroin or dying" trope. I don't want to read nonstop human misery either.

Might be in the same boat. I was reading stuff in the late 90's when it was all grim gritty bullshit. And I just got too damn sick of everything was bleeding edge, ammo pouches and leather jackets. I fucking hate Jim Lee style in every way.

I got into manga in the early 00's just for that taste of other genres. The concept of whole series being about someone who plays tennis in highschool, or people learning how to cook was a new alien thing to me.

Manga got stale after a while but I still did not really get back into the western stuff. Mostly the occasional Lantern or Nova stuff on occasion. And neither of those have been doing well at all.

Might be on point taking what was the cheesiest looking traditional cape guy from a movie that gets lots of shit from the anti-cape squad.

Is Shounen less hated though ? I think an advantage they have is that they do not have to deal with the events of other comic series in the same universe, which almost always hurts a series. Relative or complete stand alones like the recent Vision, Marvel 1602, Moore or Miller classics are generally more acclaimed.

Fpbp

What are you talking about? Capeshit is THE most popular movie genre right now.

(OP)
He was talking about comic books, but chose to speak unclearly for some reason.

Cape comics have lost their appeal to me after only one year of reding them. I liked these characters as a kid and I wanted some guilty pleasure to read aside from classic literature and such, and I heard there was some good stuff in the genre. It's just so tired at this point. How many times can we see Batman fight the Joker, or a big meaga turb event, or no character development issue after issue after issue. Honestly DC and Marvel comics (I'm talking about Big 2 to be clear) feel perfect for 12 year olds, where they can just consume the somewhat mindless content then forget about it completely.
I am enjoying comics that aren't set in the Marvel and DC superhero scene, like Flintstones and Camelot 3000, because those don't lose their luster as quickly. Idk, that's just my take as a new comic book enthusiast

Shonen was an amazing new thing that fucking wowed everyone about 10-15 years ago.

Then after people watched a few major series it started to become more and more obvious that it was just as cliche' and formulaic as capeshit, only in a different way.

Almost all shonen holds to the main tropes really tightly. you got
>Wacky dumb hero that loves overeating, is especially powerful for no actual reason most of the time
>begrudging former evil brooding guy sidekick
>useless chick with attitude that only exists to beat up main character and yell at them
>perverted old master
>all of the sidekicks never ever catch up to the main character ever despite powerrups and training sequences
>yelling and emotional outburst for power in the middle of a losing fight

it's the same shit and if you see a few you have seen them all.

the only shonen that matters desu

that and dbz

capeshit is neverending, Shonen series tend to actually have resolution, even if it take years.

You need to find the good artist and writers and follow them
have you tried reading Shade the Changing Girl?

the costumes, the exaggerate muscles and neverending status quo besides: the plot and the crossover makes people think they're ridiculous

and frequently they're pretentious

they seem constantly out of context

Actually yeah, I forgot to mention that I'm really digging the Young Animal stuff

Yeah, if you try to follow the main "storyline" going on at any given time you're going to get fed a ton of shit. Don't listen to marketing departments, chase down the good shit from your own views on the creative teams.
Nightwing has been an okay romance thing
Deathstroke has been seinen-tier seven layer plot-twist cake with non-chronological filling sprinkled with Slade not knowing how to hug his children
Gwenpool has been cute fun by celebrated comedy writer Chris Hastings and award winning artists Gurihiru
New Super-Man has been excellent as well, very Chinese mythology heavy with a healthy dose of Eastern Mysticism