SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING Spoilers

From the novelization.

Adrian Toomes (Michael Keaton) and his salvage crew are preparing to clean up after the Battle of New York when the newly-created Department of Damage Control intervenes and takes over, leaving Toomes bankrupt. Upon learning the DDC was created by Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.), Toomes blames him for his misfortune and convinces his men not to surrender the Chitauri technology that they have already scavenged, claiming to have other plans for it.

Eight years later, Peter Parker (Tom Holland) travels to Germany to help Stark fight Captain America and is given a high-tech new suit. Upon returning to New York, Peter is eager to join the Avengers and make a difference, but Stark claims he's not ready yet. He allows Peter to keep the suit and agrees to keep in touch in case he needs Peter's help again. Peter then begins reporting on his activities to Happy Hogan (Jon Favreau) hoping to impress Stark.

Four months later, Peter hasn't heard from Stark since. He attends Midtown Science and Technology School alongside his friends Ned (Jacob Batalon) and Michelle (Zendaya), his rival Flash Thompson (Tony Revolori) and his longtime crush Liz Allan (Laura Harrier). They're all members of the school's academic declathon team, but Peter has recently quit to focus on his "internship" at Stark Industries, a cover for his crimefighting activities. After months dealing only with petty crimes, Peter stumbles upon a group of criminals armed with Chitauri technology robbing an ATM and confronts them. The criminals lose control of the weapon and cause widespread destruction before escaping. Peter sneaks back home unaware that Ned is in his room. Ned learns Peter's secret identity and agrees to protect his secret.

The following day, at gym class, Peter and Ned overhear Liz talking about Spider-Man. Ned claims that Peter knows Spider-Man from Stark Industries. Flash challenges Peter to prove it by bringing Spider-Man to a party at Liz's house later that night. At the party, while changing into Spider-Man, Peter sees an explosion in the distance and is forced to investigate. He finds two of Toomes' men, Shultz (Bookem Woodbine) and Brice (Logan Marshall-Green), selling Chitauri weapons to local criminal Alex (Donald Glover) and intervenes.

Brice subdues Peter with his gauntlets and flees in a van with Shultz, leaving the weapon behind. Spider-Man pursues them, but is intercepted by the Vulture. The suit deploys a parachute to help Peter escape, but Peter falls into a lake and nearly drowns before being rescued by a remote-controlled Iron Man suit, due to a tracker that Stark put on the suit.

Peter wants to stop the Vulture, but Stark wants him to focus on his studies and claims Peter will be eligible to join the Avengers when he finishes college. Peter refuses to not do anything and retrieves the weapon that Brice left behind. Peter and Ned then crack it open during shop class the next day and retrieve a Chitauri power core modified with Earth technology, including a tracker.

Shultz and Brice show up in Midtown searching for the weapon, but Peter and Ned evade them and Peter fires a spider-tracker at Shultz. Peter finds out Shultz is in Washington, D.C., and rejoins the declathon team so he can join their trip to Washington.

In Washington, Peter and Ned disable the suit's tracker and the "Training Wheels" Protocol, unlocking a series of new features and weapons including an A.I. that communicates with Peter through his mask, whom Peter awkwardly names "Karen". Liz invites Peter for a late night swim, but Peter is forced to refuse to follow his lead to Shultz's whereabouts.

Peter locates Shultz and another one Toomes' men, Mason (Michael Chernus), at an abandoned gas station, laying a trap for an approaching DDC truck transporting Chitauri weapons. The Vulture intercepts the truck and uses a phasing device to infiltrate it and steal the cargo. Spider-Man intervenes but the suit's gadgets get in the way and he ends up being overpowered and trapped in the truck, while the Vulture is forced to escape without the weapons.

Peter learns from Karen that Chitauri power cores are unstable and realizes that the one he found is still in Ned's packback. Peter calls Liz, but she's disappointed that he missed the competition and afraid he's on drugs. Liz reveals that the team sans Michelle is visiting the Washington Monument.

Peter manages to use another Chitauri power core to blow a hole through the truck and escape from the DCC headquarters. He races to save his friends, but is too late and the power core explodes, leaving Liz, Ned, Flash and several others trapped in a damaged elevator high atop the Washington Monument. Peter conquers his fear of great heights and manages to climb to the top while evading the police, and holds on to the elevator in time for the occupants to get out. The web snaps just as Liz is leaving but Spider-Man manages to rescue her and they share a moment before Spider-Man swings away triumphantly.

The novelization only covers the first act of ther movie, so that's where it ends.

>Eight years later
>Eight years after the events of the Avengers movie

Wait, what the hell?

>Iron Man 1 came out almost a decade ago

First Avengers movie.

Spider-Man's afraid of heights?

Yeah, I call BS on that. He's either never been scared of heights or part of his power includes liking high places.

Yeah but wasn't that taking place in 2012?

>The novelization only covers the first act of ther movie

they're forcing tie-in novelizations to be separated too?

>the suit's gadgets get in the way
I feel an Iron Spider/Spock joke.

wait... is this legit?

That would be 2020

Definitely gonna need a source on this. Also that all sounds fucking awful and everything I hoped wouldn't happen. Sony went full retard and forgot that Spider-Man has decades worth of stories not involved with the Avengers or Iron Man.

I also hate the alteration of Toomes and Shocker to be using Chitauri tech. Why not just make them fucking geniuses that never got their dues? Hell, a massive aspect of Toomes' character, especially in the Stern run, was that he loved being a supervillain because of the thrill, the fact that he could prove to everyone he's not just some old man wasting away. Making guys like Spidey bleed gives him that sense of self importance he doesn't want to lose. Why the fuck does everyone need to either be completely sympathetic with a sad backstory or tied into something needless?

So... Iron Man "created" his villain and also save his life, I hope Tony isn't part of the final battle, that would be lame!

With this Iron Man is now related with the origins and/or beginnings of Obadiah Stane, Whiplash, Ultron, Wanda, Pietro, Vision, Peter and Vulture.

>Peter conquers his fear of great heights

He's Spider-Man. How does he have a fear of heights when his whole thing is web-slinging?

In the 20 minute preview Disney XD, they confirmed he's scared of heights. It's stupid but true

So far so good. I like it. Better than the trailers made it seem, at least. Only thing that bugs me is spidey being afraid of heights, but seeing as we actually haven't seen him swing from any decent height yet in the MCU, I'm down for a character arc revolving around getting more and more daring as time goes on.

What I don't understand is shit like this . Not necessarily that poster, but the idea that this Peter Parker has to be a character proxy of every other mainstream Peter Parker. I'd honestly be a disappointed if this Spider-man was just an amalgam of every Spider-man we've seen up to this point.

I've watched a spider fall off a shelf and limp to a safe place.

>He's either never been scared of heights or part of his power includes liking high places.

There was a Guide to Spider-Man book by Tom DeFalco which confirmed that Peter initially was terrified of heights, but got over it as Spider-Man.

This is fucking gay but it's what I expected from a kids movie. Fuck their obsession with high school spider-man

>Childish Gambino as a gangbanger

Lol

>Eight years later,
That can't be right. The Avengers didn't come out 8 years ago

Some user in another thread who claims to have seen the movie, says Spidey defeats Vulture using the same phasing device described in OP's summary.

>including an A.I. that communicates with Peter through his mask, whom Peter awkwardly names "Karen".

Why does this feel like a reference that I'm not getting.

I feel like it's a reference to Plankton's computer wife. It would make sense because Parker is in high school and EVERYONE under like 35 loves spongebob and references it constantly

We've never seen him around tall buildings this time...

Most movies that still release novelizations don't often include the ending to prevent big spoilers.

OP here. The novel doesn't specify eight years. I just assumed because that's what's said on the trailer. I'm not particularly attentive to the timeline of the MCU, to be honest.

>Definitely gonna need a source on this

The novelization. I read it.

I like the afraid of heights bit. It's a pretty funny character flaw and makes sense seeing as it's a fear a majority of people have. Plus he's gonna get over it anyway so there's pretty much no reason to complain about it.

This actually sounds pretty fun. It also means that the trailers haven't given away as much as people are assuming. A lot of the footage they've shown is from those real early party and DC segments.

>Use Betty Brant
>Make her look EXACTLY like Gwen

But why

>that diverse cast
Wow

It's a public high school in NYC. If there were ever a plage for this sort of diversity to make sense, this would be it.

Because Gwen Stacy only does one thing.

From what I understand he's mostly been operating in Queens, and while I've never been to that part of New York I imagine the buildings in Queens are smaller then manhattan.

Any chances you have those leaks or a link to the thread?

>In Washington, Peter and Ned disable the suit's tracker and the "Training Wheels" Protocol, unlocking a series of new features and weapons including an A.I. that communicates with Peter through his mask, whom Peter awkwardly names "Karen".

I think I've never "nope'd" harder at a spider-man concept and I've tried reading Dan Slott's Spider-man in 2017

>>Use Betty Brant
>>Make her look EXACTLY like Gwen

Yeah that just makes no fucking sense. Did they plan to make her Gwen at first and then inexplicably change their minds?

good god, no thank you

I just hope someone releases a version with ever Ned scene cut out so I can watch an automatically better Spider-Man movie.

Why is Marvel so obsessed with relating every goddamn thing to either the Avengers or Stark or both. Next movie it will be revealed that the Venom symbiote was living in some Chitauri shit, just you watch. Fuck this movie. Holland is so wasted on this.

It's Spidey's first MCU movie. Of course it'll be Avengers-heavy.

The features on the suit.

>Karen, who pretty much does everything that J.A.R.V.I.S. can.

>The goggles can automatically adjust to enhance Peter's perception the environment.

>Webshooters that can alternate between conventional webbing and elaborate special webbing.

>Spider-trackers.

>Holographic mapping of the city to figure out the best routes.

>Emergency parachute when Spider-Man gets too high to swing.

>Spider-drone that can scan structures for the best access points and optimal climbing patterns.

>Combat Mode in which the right webshooter defaults to high-impact webbing and the left webshooter defaults to taser webbing.

>Built-in tracking device and stats monitor.

>Built-in heater and coolant.

>Spider-trackers.

It's a pretty neat suit.

Here

Well, I at least like the idea of Peter finding most of the new suits gadgets counterproductive. I could see an Iron Spider easter egg with Peter declining, and asking for all the bells and whistles to be removed from his suit

>including an A.I. that communicates with Peter through his mask
Lame

That's what I'm getting from that little tidbit of the gadgets affecting him during the vulture heist.

>That thread

Yeah no.

Most of it is bull, but that one user that said that

that all the villains but Brice survive seems legit. Especially the fact that Vulture gets taken down by that phasing device.

>it's a pretty neat suit
Maybe for Iron-Spider. But that's not who this is supposed to be. Maybe if Stark had given him the red and gold Iron Spider suit from the Civil War comics to test run and then give it back to go wear the classic red and blue I could understand that twist. This just reads badly and on every level of pathetic and sad. Sony and Marvel turned Spider-Man into a worse joke than he's been in the last few years. Only now he's a co-dependent joke with an actor who looks like a young Jeff Sessions. I'm so glad I grew up and out of liking Spidey and moved on to Daredevil long ago.

>Peter stumbles upon a group of criminals armed with Chitauri technology robbing an ATM and confronts them.

You don't need a gun to rob a fucking ATM, you need a crowbar.

Sounds like garbaggio, of course MCU fans will eat it up, they're sycophants without shame or care for any original Marvel stuff

Queens here, can confirm, we have 20 story buildings, not 80 stories.

>they're sycophants without shame or care for any original Marvel stuff

It's an Elseworlds, every adaptation has, is, and always will be an Elseworlds.

>but the comics should reflect the source material

Bullshit, you can't condense 60 years of a character into one movie. That's how you get the ASM movies, which tried to be all things for all people and ended up being nothing to nobody except those retards who go "AT LEAST IT'S LIKE A COMIC BOOK" as though that's some actual reflection of quality.

At lest this movie is picking a concept(the tech angle) and sticking to it.

Then they should all be ebonics speaking niggers if they were going for realism.

>Bullshit, you can't condense 60 years of a character into one movie.
Raimi managed to.

I'll admit that I'm an MCUck who likes all the film (except Thor 2), but I'm honestly struggling to find reasons to see this

>Raimi managed to.

I love the Raimi movies, but at best they're an adaptation of a very specific run of the character(the early Lee/Ditko stuff) heavily filtered through his own bizarre aesthetic choices and stylistic ideas.

It's like trying to argue that the Burton films are an accurate approximation of batman.

That's pretty obviously fake. The but about Marvel interns gives it away.

Isn't he playing Prowler?

They're just kinda doing whatever with this, huh?

There's like a dozen writers on the movie, so yeah.

Some user or two is clearly faking having seen it. However there is one user that seems genuine. Saying it's Tinkerer Vulture threatened in the car instead of Peter, among other things.

At the end of the movie, it cuts to a guy at Stark Tech looking up lasers, explosives, and flight technology

Somebody comes into the room, and he quickly changes tabs and brings up an online game, it's WoW and he's playing a goblin

At the end of the scene his eyes flash with a yellow surge

the timeline of the MCU is very hard to follow because it's simultaneously happening in (more or less) real time but also not showing you the stuff that happens in real time. The first iron man movie was seven years ago in the timeline give or take but none of the movies act like this is the case so the viewer doesn't get a proper sense of it.

Nobody ever acts like Tony Stark has literally been building Iron Man suits for closing on a decade, nobody acts like the avengers were a team for ~4 years, etc. You can't solve a personal conflict off screen so anything related to that has to just get frozen in time while everything else moves on.

It doesn't help that the ageing of the actors is very downplayed.

Though that could also just be me being really bad at following time changes in general I suppose.

Spider-Man fucking sucks and he's sucked for a while. I'm not sure what you all were expecting just leave the franchise behind. There's only trash for this franchise.

Have you watched the trailers? This is real.

So Spider-Man takes place in the very near future. Okay?

He was the origin and focal point of the MCU when it began so that is not really a surprise.

>part of his power includes liking high places
Wut.

Having a fear of heights at least gives him character progression. It would be pretty boring if Spider-man was a sky-diving enthusiast BEFORE he was Spider-Man.

Holy shit, she looks exactly right for a teenage Gwen role.

Are they high?

Damn, I really feel bad if he is fighting crime in that over 70 degrees.

It not being a surprise doesn't make it any better. If you get used to a restaurant fucking up your order, it sure as fuck isn't going to be surprising but it's still not acceptable

I don't have a problem with that detail, I doubt the entire movie is going to focus on some chronic fear of heights, it's probably just some bullshit where he says "I HATE HEIGHTS" before overcoming it and yelling "WOOOHOOOOOOO" or some crap to show that he's coming into his powers

This. If I got spider powers one day, it's not going to magically take away my fear response to being on the side of a 500ft sheer cliff face, hanging by my fingers. That's gonna take time.

Also the movies are released out of chronological order and this isn't actually ever explained anywhere to top if all off.

Do we know what her character's name is? I heard Spidey dated someone in the comics before Gwen and that it's the girl he's after in Homecoming. That girl could totally be Gwen before her and Peter hit it off.

It's not just you. The MCU is actually pretty convoluted. They could have made it easier to follow from movie to movie.

It's sorta boring having Tony be the focus of everything just because he's the "tech" guy. Have Bruce do something techy on his own for once, the guy's supposed to be brilliant but he's always practically Tony's fucking assistant.

Shit, at the very least let Peter make his own gear. All the rest of the heroes are already way too interconnected with Stark shit, there's no reason Peter should be as well.

Betty Brant is the character name.

You know he will probably reject all the high tech gadgets and stuff as part of coming into his own as a hero

>Department of Damage Control
DON'T YOU DARE FUCK THIS UP

You should try reading some Spider-Man comics, buddy.

You don't need one, sure. However, it would sure be a lot easier and neater with one.

>>Why does this feel like a reference that I'm not getting.
It feels like a reference to Lyla, Spider-Man 2099's A.I.

They're merging Miles (Ganke/Ned) and Miguel (Lyla/Karen) into Peter.

you mean the comics where he makes all those things himself?

He owns a multi billion dollar business that is almost dedicated to research and technology. So yes

>>Emergency parachute when Spider-Man gets too high to swing.
Better be a web parachute, that's all I'm saiyan.

I don't really know what they're going for with some of this stuff. Especially the AI in the suit thing. What do they think that adds to the concept of Spider-Man?

>I don't really know what they're going for with some of this stuff. Especially the AI in the suit thing. What do they think that adds to the concept of Spider-Man?
They don't care, they know Spider-Man fans will see it because we are tools as capeshit fans who NEED to see/consume all media regardless, who they're banking on is the MCU fans who would probably be too stupid to realize it's a MCU movie if they didn't shoehorn Tony Stark into it and make him as central a figure as possible

All Marvel character movies have the Marvel logo, making this another Avengers/Iron Man centric movie is their way of ensuring the casual non nerds who have built a brand loyalty go to see it