ITT: Tropes You Hate

>character is a completely unlikable dumbass
>never has anything bad of note happen to them

>antagonist ends up being more interesting than the protagonist or his/her friends, but is killed off or written out of continuity

>"he's behind me, isn't he"

>nerd character says some garbled nonsense with science buzzwords thrown in
>"uh, in english please"

>character is a completely unlikable dumbass
>never has anything bad of note happen to them
Wander, Richard Watterson, Clarence

>wander is an unlikable dumbass
>on the same level as clarence and richard

>antagonist ends up being more interesting than the protagonist or his/her friends, but is killed off or written out of continuity

a certain blue wizard horse comes to mind

Fucking Chowder

I'm pretty sure that horse showed up again and again

>"One punch from this thing can kill you."
>takes tons of punches and even manages to win in the end.

>protag refuses to kill the big bad who is a literal hitler

Why the fuck has no one killed the Joker?(only one I can think of is Supes but he turns into Hitler) There's never a good explanation given. I guess it would be pretty boring if he got shot in the face every iteration though.

The official reason is "muh slippery slope" and "muh judge jury & executioner", which is pretty stupid all things considered.

I like the idea of a power vacuum in Gotham LEADING to the slippery slope argument. Like, news of the Joker's death creating a ripple effect where crazies come out of the woodworks and doing "edgy" crimes all over the place so they can be the new Joker. Like, all those over-the-top crimes that people make up for the Joker actually happening in Gotham all at once. Then, when Batman decides the city can't deal with a hundred wannabe Jokers, ends up killing them all, and the cycle continues.

>Smart character is unable to grasp normie concept

>Character is punished for showing altruistic intentions

>The "I get to be normal for a day" episode

>Child character's hard-earned money is "taxed" by the parents for trivial shit.

>Angsty antisocial karma houdini that is also a girl.

How is Wander any different?

>power of friendship(tm) redeeming just about every antagonist in the show

God that trope is shit.

>unrepentant loving stalker character does their thing
>their target tells them off for being creepy
>the target is the bad guy for crushing their dreams

I feel like this is more of a Sup Forums thing than anything else, but still...

>"You care more about saving the world than you care about ME?!"

>character dies
>another character holds them and cries
>a tear falls on the dead character's face and brings them back to life

>no, I'm in front of you

Well, there are the Jokerz in Batman Beyond and all those cunts following Jerome in Gotham, so it's a fair point.

Imagine how worse off Gotham would be if every miserable juvenile edgefag could look up to The Joker of all people as some "martyr" like he was a genuinely badass and stylish version of those Columbine kids.

It doesn't make sense with any real-world context, but I like to think The Joker's just a lightning rod to Gotham's worst potential, and for all the harm he's done his one saving grace is that he's still just a man, who can only do 'so much' at once. If he was somehow killed off, he could inspire hundreds of copy cats- and even if they could never hope to scratch the surface of his extensive legacy of villainy, the sheer volume of them alone would be like the Tsar Bomba dropping on society's infrastructure.

I mean, it's justified in a few occasions. Like in ATLA, where Aang had been brought up a pacifist. He'd never killed anybody IIRC, and would only really fight if it was completely unavoidable.

But yeah, if the character is just gleefully kicking ass, and then cries over having to kill Hitler mc Eatsbabies, then that's bullshit.

>a buck-toothed character (Bugs Bunny, Timmy Turner) lose their buck teeth

>are shown being completly toothless even though we clearly see in occasions that this is not the case

>antagonist ends up being more interesting than the protagonist or his/her friends

>character everyone thinks is cool and goes to for advice turns out to be a very troubled individual

this, holy shit

hater & peepers episodes were so much better than wander & sylvia episodes

>Cartoonist projects his childhood traumas/insecurities into antagonistic characters

>> (sadistic)math teacher creates overcomplicated math problem only understandable by Wilbur Whateley or Ivo Shandor.
>> Expects kids to solve batshit insane formula before class ends to summon Cenobites or Gozerian Terror Gorillas.

>Red herring is more interesting than the actual answer
>Plot twist/twist ending makes the story worse

Wander's annoying on the episodes where he deals with Hater, but the episodes where he doesn't certainly aren't bad. He's a bearable character, if mostly because his positivity never gets gratingly annoying (unless around Hater.)

He's also moderately competent.

>antagonist's episodes are far more entertaining than the protagonist's, leading to the latter's episodes leaving you with mostly a burning desire to get back to the former's

>Main character has powers/gadgets
>Constantly gets bullied by alpha bitch/jerk jock
>Never tires to get back at them
I'm not asking them to beat the shit out of the person but at little prank here or there to take them down a peg would be nice.

>episode revolved around trying to counter criticisms of the show

I generally don't care for "lol turns out they're not dead" stuff, especially if it makes no logical or narrative sense.

>It's a Boys Vs Girls Episode
>The Girls always win

>The Male Characters in a show are incompetent fools who always go through slapstick.
While the Female characters are boring, Perfect, "Straight Men" who usually avoid slapstick (unless they're ugly)

I've noticed that in cartoons, male straight men are often the most slapstick prone characters, while female straight men are often the elast

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks that.

>character is an unrepentant douchebag
>tragic backstory means they get away with all the bullshit they've done

>character acts like an unrepentant unlikeable jackass/bitch for most of the episodes
>every once in a blue moon shows a little bit of self-pity/daddy issues (but not enough to actually make any difference)
>suddenly gets a ridiculous tragic backstory close to the last episode that is supposed to make you feel bad for them
>this is supposed to be character development

You know exactly what I'm talking about.
The worst part is that this seems to work with people.

>Side character is nice, competent, and can solve problems on their own.
>Writers completely ignore them and give them no or worse character development.
>Fandom is either indifferent or hates them.
Seriously, just because they're not crazy or have emotional problems doesn't mean you can't write them in interesting situations. But that would take too much effort, wouldn't it?
>See: Hunk from VLD, Janna from Star Vs., etc.

Cor blimey guvna it's roight fucked

The worst part is when the nerd character is actually explaining fairly simple concepts but they still have a character go "ENGLISH PLEASE" as if the audience consisted of goddamn babies

>Wallflower bring plain character gets corrupted and is much stronger and more interesting overall as their edgy self
>Faggot friends and "Rescuers" set out to rescue and fix them as soon as possible
>Make sure every last trace of the interesting phase is gone they got swept up in
>Drop them off into irrelevancy after and celebrate
It's like trash into treasure and than trash again.

I hate Marco more then I hate Janna.
>Make a male love interest character
>Fans designate them as the Main Character and shit all over intended main char instead
Hate that.

I loved how Star vs did this one.

>Obviously troubled individual is troubled
>Main douchebag chars mainly ignore them
>They get one or two comments showing that they sorta care and we're going to see how they're troubled and helped
>Oops! We don't have time for that.
>But said char is still expected to put up with everything and exist in the background anyway.

This is why I both like and dislike Pacifica from GF. At no point prior to NMM did it seem there was a problem between her and her parents, then the episode happens, all the fans suddenly love her, and then the show it's self does nothing with her afterwards.

>the villain and hero banter
>turns into flirting

>Main character is an annoying, cocky brat

I actually like this trope when the characters have chemistry.

Basically Asuka from Evangelion.

>muh waifu who doesn't have any friends (which was only noted near-finale) is more interesting than that trashy male character who isn't interesting at all despite having the occasional backstory hint
I fucking hate waifufags

>it's a "character getting fucked-up backstory makes audience think they're supposed to feel bad for them" episode

That whole episode existed solely to give the audience reasons as to why Asuka was an asshat and to disturb you. Nothing more.

>Character is clearly evil
>"I'm sure that deep down, they're a nice person"

It doesn't even work as a lesson for kids, the world is infested with people that are just irredeemably awful. No one's doing them a service by propagating lies.

I always liked Rei better. Asuka is literally a walking cliche for those very reasons. Better a character is evolving on screen than just being a complete piece of shit throughout "with good reason"

>muh pic related even tho OP didn't say "pic related"

Great going, retard

>better a character is evolving on screen

Did you even watch the show? Asuka (to us) went from a regular old asshole to a mentally fucked, dependent, severely insecure shell of a human being whose sense of self-worth is tied completely to her job and the praise she gets from said job to feel like she's needed in life.

Even if she just stayed an asshole the whole show and didn't develop to us as a character in any way, it'd still be better than watching Rei, who's a boring lump of flesh that takes three lifetimes to learn the concept of free will.

I know this is kind of unrelated but for the sake of knowing how different the recent movie adaptation was I read a bunch of Captain Underpants books. In the later books it's painfully obvious Pilkey had an axe to grind. The final book has the titular bad guy basically give ADHD medication to George and Harold.

You shut your fucking mouth about Rei

Rei fucking SUCKS

>Female villain has some sort of sob story about why she went bad, and it causes the heroes to go easy on her no matter how evil she is
>Said tragedy was caused by a man
Female villains without tragic pasts who are completely, horribly rotten to the core, spiteful as all hell, gleefully evil and damn proud of it are painfully rare.

OP pic related

Fairly Odd Parents was very flip-floppy on this

Tootie always walked that thin line when it came to her "love" for Timmy.

>Insufferably cute and quirky girl who never has anything significantly bad happen to her.

If greentext is referring to Hater, the creator's said he's meant to be the actual protagonist in the series (perhaps really in the second season)/

>implying nothing ever bad happens to Wander

also
>when female character gets a free pass for being a sexual creep while male gets completely canned for doing the same

In SU that happened after healing tears being an established character trait. And it was a legit resurrection that changed the character.
Does that still warrant your ire?

>Legends of Tomorrow season 2 in a nutshell

Woy never worked for me. They try to copy old WB cartoons but don't know what they are doing.

>villain is a legitimate threat in the first appearance
>in later appearances he's essentially a joke

Wander over yonder blew this trope out of the water

>villain is a joke
>but can be a fearful thread
love that

IN MORSE CODE!

>introduce new villains and threats to keep things fun and interesting
>the solution to every problem is always basically the same

YU MO GUI GWAI FAI DI ZAO YU MO GUI GWAI FAI DI ZAO YU MO GUI GWAI FAI DI ZAO

>Character about to slip on banana peel
>Gets immediately attacked by unseen prop before doing so.

T really like the inverse trope with "Uh, in technical terms please."

Magic baby tears of life is the greatest[cheesiest] unfuck ever, especially when paired with Overdramatic Protagonist Death.

Stop right there Scarlet Lass!
Oh my its you Mighty Man, come to beat me down?
Oh I'll beat you down, beat you with every inch
My my, all 13 inches big boy?
I'll have you bent over the knee of justice.
Well you'll have to take this explosive big load from the Mayor's office.
That's a huge load
I've seen saving it just for you
Luckily I brought protection
Oh my you always wrap things up don't you?
Now it's time for you to go in handcuffs!
Over already? You always finish so fast.
Feel the might of Justice's mighty rod.
Mmm, I guess I'll have to swallow the deed.

yu mo gui gui fi xing tao

>Whole conflict of an episode is based around a misunderstanding that none of the characters involved even try to explain to the other side until the last 2 minutes of the episode

>Extremely popular one off character in long running show is never brought back again

>Boring main heroine character is loved by the fanbase simply because she is the lead female when in actuality she's one of the worst characters in the show

>Alien shows up and does nothing except exposition dump about how their world is different

>Super hero has super strength and never does anything outside of punch things and occasionally throw a car

>Character disguises as another character for a day episode

>Death doesn't matter series

The entirety of Wander Over Yonder

Take it a step further why don't ya?
>when the wizkid character strings a bunch of "smart" multi-syllabic word together
Shit like "there's a double feedback loop in the fissure matrix" irks the fuugg out of me.

In English please Einstein, I can't understand your post.

You stop...You stop right now!

The entire show was just Dipper bathing in love interests while bitching about how he can't get the one he wants. And then having nothing to do or say for those girls that could justify their presence. It's handling of the entire cast was a shitshow. Dipper got shit on for no reason, Mabel could do no wrong, no matter how dumb or reckless she got. All the other female characters were hardly existent past Dipper's hangups...
It was a dramaturgical suicide as everything happened only insofar as it influenced Dipper, only to make him put upon, then punish him for lamenting the cruel fate that befalls him. It's a big egocentric, self-hating wankfest of Hirsch. It's really, really all about him. That's why Pacifica just disappears and Mabel never gets called out. So Dipper can bear that cross some more.

But he was right.

>Clarence
>Unlikeable dumbass

Belson leave.

Yeah, the diamond conspiracy is dumb

That make it worse

Going to go meta:
>male fans are willing to forgive the abrasive, antisocial, nigh-malevolent female character because she is a woman

God know, if it were a man they would loathe them.

On topic:
The character's romantic relationship becomes their sole defini g feature, to the point thst they are no longer the same people anymore.

>The main character is a power fantasy and nothing more

>female straight men
Interesting choice of words.

Not with Dominator.

>muh comeuppance
People like you should be forbidden to comment on fiction

Ah, technobabble. Can be fun if it's used comedically.

>villain is seemingly redeemed
>joins the protagonists
>betrays them
I'm so bored with this one.

>we have to turn on the generator to restore electricity to the building!
>uuuhhh, in english, einstein?

>wander
>unlikeable dumbass who doesn't have anything bad of note happening to him
retard

>problem gets fixed by the power of love

Unironically love this one if done right. Tron uprising is a show that got this pretty great