Did he ruin the character?

Other urls found in this thread:

batman-online.com/content/benjaminrobinsonthesis.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

what do you think?

Fuck off Dobson.

No, he's one of the best versions of the bat

He made him even more popular.

Anybody else know him primarily for playing a goofy version of himself in cartoons before finding out he was 60s Batman?

Dont be a fucking moron, he did more for the character than any fuckwit since

He helped increase the universal appeal of Batman

He made a definitive version of the character beloved by many, and whos popularity brought interest back into the character which eventually made the edgy batman we know today

Have you ever actually watched the show? If you did you'd realize that was a stupid thing to say. On par with the "original Star Trek was racist for being so white" stupid.

He increased the appeal of the character allowing for mostly everything that came after.

Kill yourself you stupid blue bear

>allred
Very nice

>inspired pop art
>which went on to drive comics' popularity
>which went on to make Batman popular

If anything, he saved the character.

This is what wonderwoman thinks to your statement

It's always the neck with her.

Mods, please shut this faggot down.

>On par with the "original Star Trek was racist for being so white" stupid.

That is a lot of stupid fucking people.

Who fucking hates pure West beyond Nolanfags and comic autists?

He was literally the only reason the character survived through the 60s and the CCA

is there any proof to this claim?

batman-online.com/content/benjaminrobinsonthesis.pdf
> The comic industry suffered a substantial setback with the 1953 publication of Wertham’s The Seduction of the Innocent. It is in this book that Wertham lays out all his arguments against the comic book industry. Nearly every superhero is subjected to Wertham’s criticisms, but none as
much as Batman, who is directly attacked due to his perceived homosexual relationship
with his junior partner.

>Wertham’s book had a devastating effect on the comic industry and Batman was nearly destroyed and forever altered due to its publication; The CCA saw comic companies driven out of business, careers wreaked and strict standards introduced. As a result, the fifties became a rather bland era for comic books which caused many readers to lose interest by the mid-sixties.

>The gangsters and madmen of Batman’s past gave way to an assortment of outlandish-looking space aliens and mad scientists who continually passed through Gotham City in their quest for world
domination. The increased sci-fi/fantasy content found in Batman comic stories during this period had the effect of basically stripping the character of his identity – he was not so much Batman, but ‘Superman in a Batman costume’.

>Batman lost so much of his credibility due to these bouts of silliness that by 1964 Kane recalls that the character was in danger of being recalled. Batman became less and less popular with readers due to the fact that, as Daniels puts it, “there was nearly no core character left, just a hollow man being battered from place to place by whatever gimmick could be concocted.

How fucking underage is the OP. West paved the way for the Batman we know today.

If you were actually there at the time, you would know that Adam West was the only quality Batman product at the time. Silver Age Batman comics are abysmal, and not even in a funny way like some SA Superman. Adam West ensured the survival of the brand and created lasting and influential interpretation of the character that has allowed Batman to become so tonally diverse.

Without Adam West, you don't get the reactionary Dark Knight Returns or Year One. You don't get Elseworlds. You don't get Burton or Nolan. You sure as hell don't get TAS.

You don't even get Denny O'Neil's run in all likelihood.

Adam West saved Batman from obscurity.

Nah, batman vs Godzilla could had have the same effect

Did Dobson insult Adam Driver after he died or something?

Wouldn't surprise me.

Please tell me you meant Adam West. And yes, he did.

Sorry, I meant West, wasn't really focused while I was typing. Today's a slow day for me.

What did he say? "HE DIDN'T TREAT IT SERIUYSHLLHLYHYYYYY (donations pls)"?

I remember when he complained about Halloween because his favorite shows get Halloween episodes (and he drew a shitty pony on a tv).

The version of the character that he was playing was IDENTICAL to the comics at the time.

>And yes, he did.
Yes, I would like to know more.

But it didn't.

Fuck it, since they're being quiet I dug it up myself.

He basically retweeted a bunch of "RIP Adam West" stuff then went on a shitposting spree about how comic fans never appreciated him and that they shouldn't pretend like they do now.

If the comics were so bad that everyone was sick of them and they were about to send Batman to the trash, and West just accurately portrayed the comics, how the fuck did that save the brand?

Using Kane as a reference when he was living high off the popularity and stroking his own ego by trying to play celebrity due to the success of the show.

This thread topic is ridiculous. That show, and actors, placed the character in the public eye and was very popular. To the point it aired twice a week. When it was cancelled by ABC it was going to come back on NBC but all the sets were destroyed so NBC could not afford to rebuild it all. Hugely successful comedy show.

You fucking kids and thinking you know something because you read a subjective opinionated story or online article from some idiot really need to open your fucking eyes and stop using Sup Forums logic for everything (I read one source, it must be true!!).

This is bullshit and conjecture. If not for the show and West Batman would not be as popular today. No West and show = no Burton. No Burton= no cartoon, etc. etc.

Dobbie is a human shitstain but he IS kind of right, for a long time West and the show were mocked, ridiculed and shit on especially during the Nolan years. I'm sure plenty of kids/teenagers or comic-only autists hate that version.

He's a fucking useless moron seeking attention, nothing more. Burton was due to the popularity of Miller, not trying to change because of 1960s Batman.

No, he's the main reason Batman is a household name today.

Thanks, I couldn't find it. I might have forgotten to save it.

>especially during the Nolan years.
Are you from an alternate dimension?

Comic- only fans love that version. They shit on Nolan's Batman before it came out and don't forget how fucking brutal they were about Ledger as the Joker before the second movie came out. How easy people forget things when it fits a narrative.

I'm sure they loved Affleck as Batman too?

He's right. Well, at least 10 years ago that would be correct.

Because the show, and the Bat craze that followed, made Batman a popular household name not just to the children that read comics (which were less and less due to the television), but to a general audience. It pushed Batman into the public eye, and the public eye did not read comics. It made Batman profitable.

But that was the exact point of my post you illiterate imbecile. That text I posted was to explain why Batman was going downhill until the show happened. Kane's statement is just to hammer things in.

At least post the man who did ruin Batman OP.

After the show went off the air there was a period where fans, writers and editors reacted against it by trying to make Batman DARK and SERIOUS and MATURE. This was the Denny O'Neil approach (as writer and editor of Frank Miller's stuff) and it was probably the right approach at the time.

But eventually the DARK and GRITTY and MATURE approach got overplayed too and it became acceptable to admit to liking West's version. The "Gray Ghost" episode of Batman: TAS was probably a turning point, where a dark, noir Batman turned out to be a huge Adam West fan.

West played Batman as a square old-fashioned guy who didn't realize how silly his corny heroic decency seemed (he always believes that villains can go straight, even though he's always wrong). But that itself brings out Batman's heroic side and how he stands up for what he believes in even when it seems silly.

Batman is a great character because he can stand up to many approaches. If he just stayed as the O'Neil version forever that would be as boring as if he stayed the West version forever.

>Comic- only fans love that version

ahahaha no
they consider West the epitome of everything they need to overcompensate against in comics

how the fuck

TV is a different medium
by the mid 60s there were already people who had been reading comics for a long time and thus wanted mature characters
daytime TV on the other hand had no such pretensions outside of soap operas (and even those were also more corny and campy and bland at the time compared to today)
also it provided a much much higher visibility to the character because comics have always been a niche item outside of a few specific points in time, whereas TV was in the majority of households in the mid 60s, but had only recently gotten that status

Get out. Pack your shit and get out.

>Comparing a show that featured the first interracial kiss on television to the holocaust and slavery

Bad in the 50s, the 60s were better and the show captured that and made Batman a household name instead of a character only comic nerds knew about

>Star Trek is and always has been incredibly racist and sexist

I honestly never thought I'd ever see anyone say that.

Even Google knows what's up.

Go back to making shit up on Twitter Dobson.

>Without Adam West, you don't get the reactionary Dark Knight Returns or Year One.
Hell, even in those works of all things, Miller pays tribute to the West TV show.

The bat that inspires Bruce Wayne in the iconic "Yes, Father" moment lands on a bust of William Shakespeare.

In TDKR, Commissioner Gordon calls Batman on the red phone at one point.

Yes, Batman ruined the character Adam West.

yes.

That's a fucking stupid question

No, he perfected it. Now, Christian Bale could have ruined the character, if comics wouldn't have beaten him to it.

No, he saved it.

Firstly, that was the tone of the show. He didn't set it; they wanted someone (anyone) to play it that way. So he did, because he was a trouper.

Secondly, when that show came along WB/DC cared so little about Batman they'd sold the rights to make movies and tv shows about him to someone else. Same with Superman; they just didn't care. These were low priorities for Jack Warner's empire, just like animation. It wasn't until much later, and with great difficulty, that Warner Bros and later Time Warner could be convinced to go back into superheroes and animation as a main.

If he hadn't been in reruns for twenty years already, they may never have made a Batman movie; they may never even have made a Superman movie. Without those: no Incredible Hulk show, no Spider-Man movies, no X-Men movies. Without those, no MCU; without that - and remember there was never a Batman to reboot in this world - no DCEU.

All because he took something that had become a forgotten, childish relic of the 40s and brought it to a wider audience. Without him they'd still have hired the rest: Gorshin, Newmar, Romero, all of them: but they'd maybe not have had the same great show, same great time, same great channel. Imagine if they'd got Shatner to play Batman and West had got Star Trek. Might be a very different landscape today.

Return of the Caped Crusaders is the best piece of Batman-related media in years.

>ruin
Wat? He made a good batman

hell no fag

Yeah, much as Dobson is an idiot, he's partially right in this instance. There were people shunning Batman 66 because they felt like the show harmed the public's perception of comics. Part of the complaints about Batman Forever and Batman and Robin brought up comparisons to the TV show in a negative way. Regardless of that, the show was still popular in the 80's and early 90's when it was still being rerun.

He's dickbutt in real life. The 60's Batman show was light hearted, innocent, and crazy with the campy feeling due to the Silver Age source material. It was literally a TV ad to sell more DC comics. Considering the target audience - kids - the series did stupidly well when it went into syndication for the appropriate time slot well into the mid 70's. I'm an oldfag that used to WATCH it when I got home from school.
The revival of the show during the 1989 release of Keaton's Batman movie lasted for a good year and a half or more on cable TV as well as Southern California local channels. Been there, saw that.

For a live action show targeted at KIDS, I double dog dare you to name another similar show with as much staying power, outside of Sesame Street or Mister Rogers. Dobson's brain is stuck in adult audience mode and he's a fucking retard with what he said. He needs a time machine to go back and tell the original 60's and 70's audience - the kids - why this show was such shit and how we're horrible for having liked it.

/ourguy/

>made Batman fun
>responsible for some of the best Batmemes
>all those Riddlerfag threads that show up on Sup Forums

Fuck outta here.

Why was it cancelled though?

He represented how the comics were at the time, gave Batman an enormous mainstream popularity boost, and the show honestly still holds up as pretty charming and entertaining.

Was in talks for cancellation, but they decided to renew at the last minute. Turns out that while cancellation talks were ongoing, someone went ahead and destroyed all the sets. Would've been too expensive to rebuild, so they decided not to renew.

???
I hate to defend Dobson here, but he's not saying the show is shit and people are horrible for having liked it. He's saying the exact opposite.

Holy shit, learn how to green text you fucktard

Wait, what the fuck does that even mean, other than a vague kind of approval?

>first show to have a black women not play a servant
>first show to have interracial kiss
>MLK Jr. approved
Wow.

Correct

>mentioning 4 white guys and 1 black chick
>doesn't mention Jap
the irony of the artist

This. Regardless of how cheesy and campy the show was, without Adam West's Batman, the character would not have been where he is today. The show skyrocketed the character into the mainstream.