Is Kenan the only diversity character done right? Why are Miles, Kamala, Black Wally, Cho, new Quasar so terrible?

Is Kenan the only diversity character done right? Why are Miles, Kamala, Black Wally, Cho, new Quasar so terrible?

He's a huge jackass though. Just look at how he treated that kid for (not) killing his (fascistic cunt of a) mom, how he tried to murder Batman China, and how he kept cheating during his race with Flash China.

>Cho
>Terrible
Get out. Cho has existed way before any of those fuckers. Though I do agree Totally Awesome Hulk isn't as good as Incredible Hercules

>Is Kenan the only diversity character done right?
Jaime Reyes. Simon Baz. Jessica Cruz. Ryan Choi.

So basically only DC can do this stuff right.

right, he's a character with flaws, not a mouthpiece and/or a cardboard cutout with a new coat of paint

Kamala wasn't bad at start. She was done right but then got ruined.

Not even trying to start a company thing, but all the good diversity characters I know are from DC like Renee Montoya.

Black Panther and Luke Cage dude.

I sort of like Black Trakker

What are some times where it was like "Oh, and under the helmet it's a black dude"?

Off the top of my head I can only think of Black Racer, which might not quite count, and Secret Wars Iron Man being Rhodie, but that's a temporary thing.

He's just Korra except Chinese and with terrible parents.

Black Panther and Luke Cage are original characters, not race-bent/genderbent legacies

I don't care what nationality Trakker is as long as we get more of based Mayhem

Black Manta, surprisingly enough. Spent years without showing off his skin color.

Black Manta
that astronaut from that one EC Comics

not as whiny though

and not pining over a girl

Jessica is pretty great and Baz is finally a good character. GL tends to do well with diversity... yet the assholes obsessed with diversity never seem to care.

Has there been an issue of New Super-Man where Kenan hasn't bitched in some way?

most of them

She's not breaking any glass ceilings like Red Locust because there have been oodles of female Green Lanterns before. Now if she had been the first Trans Lantern, that would have been something for the libtards to drool over.

doesn't count if it's DC because they don't go on The View

I know this is fanart because Jessica is never this thick. She's normally a skinny thing, which fits her character, honestly.

Yeah, but libtards don't read comics. As far as they know, she IS the first female Lantern.

Kenan has had multiple arcs exploring his character before he got thrown into crossover hell. Same with Kamala. They had writers who gave enough of a shit to give them worlds, motivations, supporting casts, and natural conflicts that arise when those things come into contact with one another.

Miles doesn't have that. Black Wally doesn't have that. Even though Cho was a character that existed for years prior to Hulking out, as soon as he became a poster boy didn't get that.

Robbie did. Kamala did. Jaime Reyes did. And Kenan did.

The characters need to stand on their own feet as good characters before they get thrown out as their designated race representative. Writers are pushing the fuck out of clunker characters before anybody has any direction to push them in, and they come off as bland.

I doubt they even know about Green Lantern. Because if they did, they'd assume she was the first female GL and make more noise about her.

New Cho is terrible. He is like 19 but on a team of highschoolers. Its like he is the Cyborg of the Teen Titans.

That pisses me off so fucking much. She's a character who has a mental disability and is trying her hardest to overcome it. She's a fucking Latina, but doesn't have to remind the reader every single page. Seeing her grow is actually satisfying.

That reminds me of that Twitter post where Nick Spencer was called out for saying DC doesn't have diversity.

A "trans person" could never be a green lantern because they have no courage or willpower. They are people constantly at war with own selves and constantly in doubt about who they really are. Psyches like that do no make proper breeding grounds for GLs.

>They are people constantly at war with own selves and constantly in doubt

You mean like Jessica Cruz...

Fucks sake user, read comics.

>Robbie did.

I really loved how anti-stereotype Robbie was and how that even managed to persist in his AoS incarnation. He doesn't listen to the music, he barely speaks any Spanish, he doesn't complain about the cops or the whites, he's not part of a gang, and generally treats everyone around him equally. He's just a guy trying to do right by his little brother and maybe get enough money to move them somewhere nicer while being plagued by a staggering amount of anger because he's surrounded by insufferable cholos every single goddamn day. If his Ghost Rider powers didn't come with Eli, it's likely he'd have been much more vicious as he wouldn't have had a bad role model like his uncle to warn him of what he'd become.

user, I think you mean John is a MARINE!

I do read comics. And I know for a fact that despite Jessica's conflicts, she does actually have the will to bear the green ring. She fought against Volthoom on her own. That alone makes her worthy.

Jessica and Simon honestly doesn't count. They aren't the first diversity character to take over/share the mantle. Guy is a ginger, Kyle is a Mexican and John is a cardboard.

i liked the new ghost rider

John used to be interesting

then Johns happened

>we will probably never get a Ghost Riders ongoing where Johnny takes Robbie under his wing as a mentor and they BTFO demons together
It hurts.

>Used to be a former militant community leader and activist who became a confident and friendly architect who eventually became a guardian. After being crippled and losing his darkstar status he was still the reliable John we knew and loved. He was a good friend

>Johns happens.
>I WAS A MARINE AND I BLEW UP A PLANET!!!!!!! Also I was an architect or something SEMPER FI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

she's always been Reddit

I always wonder if that was just revenge for the Stewart x Hawkgirl romance on JLU. Especially since, for some reason, the JL crew had Johns write the episode where it turns out Hawkman is cucked for eternity.

this doesn't make any sense. she was just a fairly straightforward spidey ripoff until corporate noticed she was popular.

how is "teenager juggling family and school and superheroics" reddit

But OP said diversity character

Reddit character = "character I don't like"

Aren't Johns' two favorite Lanterns Hal and Guy? And they don't exist at all in the DCAU. Johns basically got cucked by Timm from an editorial perspective.

Hal and Alan. I remember him saying that back on his forum Comic Bloc back in the day when he first announced Green Lantern: Rebirth.

He's a jackass that is constantly humbled and grows as a character. Even when he manages to be a respectable hero he'll still have that bit of arrogance and won't be super smart or anything.

I liked the last page of the recent issue when he was called an idiot by his mother.

>he's a character with flaws
So, Superman is bad?

>then got ruined.
No she did. Waid just sucks at writing her in Champions. She's cool in her ongoing

It's almost as if you've only read pages from Champions in which Waid writes everyone like shit.
I'm sick of these fucking piece of shit threads.

Simon Baz since Rebirth
Jessica Cruz
Black Wally since Rebirth
Cyborg
Jaime Reyes
Ryan Choi
Hell even Kate Kane since Rebirth
Basically DC. Especially since Rebirth.

Their characters are people, they're not defined by diversity like they are at Marvel.

Thats not true theres that marvel "not event" event happening were legacy characters are teaming up with their predecessors.

Nah, the DC You Doctor Fate's pretty good. And I say that as someone who has a strong preference for Kent Nelson and the other Fates.

He's not part of that. Each issue of Legacies spotlights a character and mentor. Him and Sam aren't any of those.

Nope, this is other really well done too.

DC tends to do better with 'diversity characters' because their characters are actually diverse, not just middle class American teenagers who are also ethnic minorities.
Kenan isn't Asian American, he is actually Chinese, his attitudes and values are Chinese.

Sam falls into this category right? Because he's mixed.

If the DCEU is wary of the Lanterns because of Ryan Reynolds memories, they should just use Jessica as part of the JL. Gives them another female character on the team, it's a bit of a sausagefest otherwise.

Yup, he's just like Kyle Rayner. Down to also not announcing it constantly.

What's wrong with Bally?

In this day and age of attempting diversity all over the place, it's weird how NSM is the only book that's about actual foreigners in a foreign country.
I know the MU consists entirely of New York, space, and a bunch of fictional countries, but still.

Shifting gears, why the fuck is Kyle in his 90s dogs and not his slick as fuck GLC costume that Gleason and Tomasi had him in?

Because Rebirth is going back to a lot of iconic looks. That design was his longest one and brings back some good memories. Just be glad it wasn't Jim Lee's dog collar ribbed for her pleasure costume.

>Gives them another female character on the team, it's a bit of a sausagefest otherwise.
They could just go with some conflict with the Sapphires since the first DCEU Lantern movie if they want females besides Jess.

Kenan, Jessica and Sam are the only legacy characters that seem genuine because they have flaws

Kamala's only flaw is that she's Muslim

I haven't read anything with Miles in a long while, not since around the time the first Spider-Men came out. I thought he was fine. Did he get worse over time, or are the folks who dislike him folks who disliked him from the getgo?

He didn't get worse, he didn't anything. That's the fucking problem. He's an empty character that doesn't feel like anything. He's not even wooden, he's like pudding. Bendis refuses to actually advance him as a character and others seem to be stuck because of that. Shit just happens around him.

>Simon Baz. Jessica Cruz.

Glad it only took to the third reply to get to these two; I was going to say the same thing. These two characters absolutely shame Marvel in terms of getting 'diversity characters' right; they don't replace the originals but supplement them. Their ethnic origins don't define them but season them. They're flawed in believable, interesting ways that drive stories. The marketing around them doesn't constantly bludgeon you over the head with virtue signalling about how great the company is for including them on the basis of race.

It hurts to be a marvelfag sometimes, especially when I see the distinguished competition doing the main thing Marvel is trying to do and doing it better.

Took a while to get there, though. When Simon first came up all you could hear was BLACK LANTERN WITH A GUN

Give Jessica another few years without any writer really shitting the bed with her. I think that there's strong potential in her to fill that role but she's still a little bit 'green' to get a movie push. Five or ten years from now if she's still a strong character, though, I think it would be a great idea.

Yeah, well, people love to jump to conclusions based upon superficial shit. Remember all the people freaking the fuck out assuming Magneto was going to be written as a nazi just because he happened to appear on the cover for an upcoming issue of Secret Empire, and then it turned out that he was just as opposed to Hydra as one would assume? It's just hysterical random hateful nonsense all the time.

But Simon has turned out to be a pretty decent character since then and people have cooled off on that now. I no longer see people freaking out about that, which is a good sign in my eyes that people recognize quality when they see it.

He's not "I'm the REAL Superman now, Kal-El can fuck off."

Kenan is a nonwhite legacy character who is flawed, has a personality, is not replacing the original, has an interesting premise, and he is not Chinese-American just Chinese.

Also his comic has taught me some interesting stuff about China. From Chinese culture to Chinese politics to Chinese myth to Chinese memes, I love it.

Patriot from Marvel was great. Don't know what happened to him. Besides that, and maybe Wiccan if you count gay as diversity, not much good has come from Marvel.

Does Wiccan really count as good when he gave us America

DC has always been better at writing diverse characters marvel

Let not a man be defined by the worst of his actions, but by how they are balanced against his best.

But there is a difference, tho. When Korra fucks up, people around here are treated as if they are in the wrong and she never learns or matures. When Kenan does stupid shit, the universe beats him down. He doesn't entirely learn from his mistakes and he even keeps doing what hes does for his self interest, but the universe never seems to bend to his stupidity.

Never even heard of the guy so I'm gonna say NO

anyone made a Kenan & Kal joke yet?

Oh shit some drawfag please do this

She has been kind of mouthpiecey in the last issue but that might just be because of how heavy handed the villains are

All of this, and it's annoying that Cho keeps getting lumped into "Marvel's forced diversity" crowd just because of his current lagacy + Waid being a shit.

At least TAH has been picking back up again, somewhat. It was a lot better before those shitty Space Jam issues happened.

It probably has something to do with you being a racist. Just throwing that out there.

Clark has flaws. He's from Kansas after all, which is a huge flaw in and of itself.

I like new Ghost Rider

Go read New Super-Man and be prepared to come back with an apology for being wrong.

brilliant

MORE DIM SUM MORE DIM SUM!

Probably cause the book had literal memes in it.

America is a great character though she's only insufferable in her own book oddly enough.

He stands on his own instead of being worshipped at the expense of a better character.

The only thing that was wrong with him was that they initially created him to replaced white Wally. He is fine as his own character with his own issues.

If he changes his name then everything will be perfect.

>When even his mither calls him an idiot during her shocking reveal
Kek, that was perfect.

Honestly I don't mind. It's funny, like Green Lantern Hal Jordan's cousin Hal Jordan who is Airwave.

He should probably get a different nickname though like Iris II eventually was just called Irey for simplicity.

Wasn't the moment that eternally ruined John cosmic odyssey when his character was defined by blowing up a planet? I remember that it was even supposed to be Guy at first but too many writers that were Guy fans complained.

>"diversity characters"
>marvel traumatized people by going overboard with legacies it poisoned the concept and pretty much turned people off to legacy characters

that's pretty sad

the book took a huge tonal shift after secret wars. it's not as lighthearted as it used to be.

also kamala is getting shoehorned into events left & right

I think CW2 harmed her book more than the relaunch after secret wars.