How is DC Rebirth so fucking good?

How is DC Rebirth so fucking good?

What went right?

It doesn't though, it fucking sucks and we should have stayed with the New 52. It wasn't perfect, but it worked.

They looked at what Marvel was doing, and did the opposite.

I like how the formula for comics success is literally "Do the opposite of whatever Marvel is doing."

shut the fuck up

They adapted the model 80s/90s era DC had, using actual people who had experience writing comics oversee them except here it's largely Johns and Way and back then you had Wolfman/Roy Thomas/Wein/O'Neil/Levitz/Goodwin

They realized all the unnecessary reworking the New 52 did for the sake of shaking things up was pointless and that people genuinely preferred how things were pre-Flashpoint and also why people like DC in the first place.

If the formula is "piss off the customers because we have them in our pockets and what else are they gonna do", then doing the opposite is common sense

The purpose of the comics, were the comics and nothing else.
Not advertising how progressive they are, not pushing pet characters, not showcasing their politics, not bashing characters whose movie rights they don't have, not synergy for the cinematic universe.

The made comics for the sole purpose of making good comics. And money, yeah, okay, that's a given.

back to statu quo

well most of it

Its not that great. Marvel is just doing so much worse its making DC look great. Rebirth is just inoffensive material for the most part. Nothing more.

You have a really loose definition of 'worked'.

>Rebirth
>Good
Mediocre if someone's being really generous.

Meh, it's alright. I still miss the early n52 stuff before they all got cancelled

DC gives the fans what they want while still periodically experimenting and trying new ideas

Marvel seems to still have this idea that the fans have no idea what they want and will just buy anything that has a Marvel label on it out of brand loyalty

Maybe you should have actually bought more of those comic. DCYou-era n52 was regarded as a sales failure and why Rebirth even happened. If they hadn't pissed the bed with it (and Convergence), n52 would still be around.

>will just buy anything that has a Marvel label on it out of brand loyalty

Too bad for Marvel, Quesada largely decimated the Marvel zombie fangroup and propped up his sales by events, renumberings&relaunches and big name writers. A formula that is largely bled their fandom dry.

DC rebirth has been fantastic, I really like the way Dan and Lee are giving artists a shot at the big time, and really developing them.

I feel the fact that they treat their writers and artists right does wonders for the stories. Also, it makes them look better in public perception.

DcYou was garbage though. I mean the very start of n52, back when frankenstein and demon knights and amethyst were running

How does someone define an era of these release/relaunch/shake up as good or great? Because by my definition, I would not call it that.

sales

>What went right?

>sales = quality
I guess Avatar and Star Wars are pinnacle of cinema and Harry Potter is pinnacle of literature.

2ndPBP

What kind of material would you prefer?

It's superheroes doing superhero shit. It doesn't dabble into modern politics or chastise the customer for their skin color.

Forgot to add: When I'm reading Batman I'm reading fucking Batman (with it's subjective quality) not Tom King's thoughts on Trump's presidency or illegal immigration.

Is it?
Which ones are the best. Titans, Teen Titans and Deathstroke all started out good but they are going to meh tiers.