Metal one-shots coming from September through November!

>Dark Nights: Metal one-shots give us a greater hint as to where Dark Days and Dark Nights are going ahead of Dark Matter and Metal at DC Comics.

>A series of one-shots coming from DC in September through November, show invaders from the Dark Multiverse that look a little familiar and inspire a Gotham Resistance, the name of Batman’s army that he’s been raising.

>Each features a different twisted version of Batman, mashed up with other characters, to threaten the DC Universe, The Red Death, The Murder Machine, The Dawnbreaker, The Drowned, The Merciless, The Devastator and The Batman Who Laughs. There will also be crossover stories as these twisted Batman inspire DC’s supervillains as Gotham Resistance.

>Let’s break down who’s doing what.

Other urls found in this thread:

comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2017.html
comicsbeat.com/titling-at-windmillls-259-what-the-hell-is-wrong-with-marvel-comics-anyway/
bleedingcool.com/2017/06/09/big-bang-comics-lost-quarter-deadpool-customers/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>September 13th: Teen Titans #12: Gotham Resistance #12 by Benjamin Percy and Mirka Andolfo.
>Nightwing #29: Gotham Resistance by Tim Seeley and Paul Pelletier
>Suicide Squad #26 : Gotham Resistance by Rob Williams and Stjepan Sejic

>September 20th: Batman: The Red Death #1, by Joshua Williamson and Carmine Di Giandomenico (twisted with The Flash).

>September 27th: Batman: The Murder Machine #1 by Frank Tieri and Ricardo Federici (twisted with Cyborg).

So is this just Batman mixed with other DC characters? Sounds eh. Also:
>Black Canary/Green Arrow
>Gotham

>October 4th: Batman: The Dawnbreaker #1 by Sam Humphries and Ethan Van Sciver (twisted with Green Lantern).

>October 18: Batman: The Drowned #1 by Dan Abnett and Philip Tan (twisted with Aquaman).

>October 25th: Batman: The Merciless #1 by Peter J. Tomasi and Francis Manapul (twisted with Wonder Woman).

Huh, so I guess we're not getting a Dark Nights September and this is why TT #12 isn't in Vol 2

Good to know not every books getting dragged in

>November 1st: Batman: The Devastator #1 (twisted with Doomsday). Creative team TBA – but could Dan Jurgens be involved?

>November 15th: The Batman Who Laughs #1 (twisted with The Joker, named after Victor Hugo‘s The Man Who Laughs, the inspiration for The Joker). Creative team TBA.

I'll bet this is by Snyder

>Each of the one-shots will have the foil stamped cover and UV coating in the fashion of Dark Days: The Forge #1, all drawn by Jason Fabok.

>source: shillingcool

>Crisis on Infinite Batmen!
The absolute madmen!

>Each of the one-shots will have the foil stamped cover and UV coating
The kids of today should defend themselves against the 90’s

>Peter J. Tomasi and Francis Manapul
This is already the best one-shot.

The more I hear of this event the more what the fuck I get.

That's definitely Ares-Batman
Fabok covers.
Neat.

This is just more Bat-wanking, but I'm going to give a chance to some of these books, maybe they'll have some cool ideas

>The Red Death #1, by Joshua Williamson and Carmine Di Giandomenico
>The Dawnbreaker #1 by Sam Humphries and Ethan Van Sciver
>The Drowned #1 by Dan Abnett and Philip Tan
>The Merciless #1 by Peter J. Tomasi and Francis Manapul

Although I'll be VERY surprised if there won't be any art changes
The Devastator and The Batman Who Laughs will depend on the creative team
And poor Cyborg, fucking Frank Tieri, really? He is a hack of the highest order

OP here, there were pictures going around Batman Inc, showing every DC character Batmanized, does anyone have those?
I couldn't find them
Seems like it's becoming reality

>All these Batman one shots
DC must really wanna be #1 in September

>and in comic news the top ten comics in September are all Batman

well, what's a better way to kill Marvel Legacy than flooding the market with Batman?

>Scott: Its not a batman event.

>haha DC you may be doing well but now it is time to activate my event
>not so fast Marvel. Batman! Multiply!
>what is this! multiple Batmans! Impossible!
>by playing my tie-ins ability in combination my with multiverse hidden trap I can release as many Batman comics as I wish!
>noooooooooo

>could
Look at the rest of the """creative""" teams. It's Jurgens for sure.

>every book a Batman #1

those crafty little shits

I guess any Batman related book that's on the lam on the numbers is getting a crossover while the others just go on as planned with a One Shot instead of a regular issue? Because with Det' only having one issue solicited I can see this.

Short terms success by way of gimmicks and shit won't kill anything but DC. We are back to the days just before the new52. Very few good writers and artists regularly working for the company, a ton of crossovers on top of an event. And gimmick covers.

>the top ten comics in September are all Batman
Basically the story for 2017 thus far anyway:
comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2017.html

>a story where notBatmans are the enemy
>they all have powers
So close

Someone wake me up when the actual Batman is the enemy

Then he fights right in with the rest of the group.

hey, when we got Dog Fucker and Worst Lanterns we somehow got the best lantern book in ages. Maybe it'll work in Cyborg's favor too.

>what's a better way to kill DC than flooding the market with Batman?
Fix'd.

If you look at DC's sales here:
You can see what would happen to them if they over-saturate and people get sick of All Batman All The Bat-Time.

I'm really not seeing your argument. Unless it's a first issue or a heavily shilled overshiped anniversary issue, Batman does good. Unless you mean how fast Batman is bleeding? That's just the effect of Tom King and Double Shipping

Literally all the books above Batman (though bar Secret Empire) is now below Batman. What are you even talking about

seven one-shots spread over three months won't kill DC

It will. The only thing that sells right now is Batman. All their comics are bleeding sales. They're trying cover gimmicks like they did in the 90s for temporary boosts in sales that will hurt in the long term. They're going full out with crossovers, all the titles are crossing over with others and shit.

is Robin holding the Batmanium Bat-Symbol ?

>Batmen in every book

Nope. Dropped.

>Unless you mean how fast Batman is bleeding?
No, no, no: I'm saying that Bat's is far and away their best selling book. Every single book in the that list has Batman in it ( that Flash issue is part of The Button crossover ).

If they keep pushing Batman/Batbooks they're going to start cannibalizing their own readership: we've already got Batman, Justice League ( with Batman! ), Justice League of America ( which for some reason we're not just calling Batman and the Outsiders ), Trinity, Dark Knight III, All-Star Batman, Batman/TNMT, probably others I'm forgetting off of the top of my head.

>What are you even talking about
Reading comprehension: ur doin' it wrong.

is that superman ?

come on now
there might be some bleeding, but Marvel has that, too
and if you wanna talk about gimmicks, Marvel only stays competitive by launching about 10 books every month, then canceling them in a few months. DC has a much healthier business plan these days.
and cover gimmicks are very rare, only the Button and Metal got it recently.
>full out with crossovers
they have like one crossover in every 1,5-2 months, and those are usually very short (Superman Reborn, JLvsSS, The Button, Lazarus Contract etc.)
Metal is the first mega-event of the Rebirth era

>They're going full out with crossovers,
It doesn't help that Night of the Monster Men and Lazarus Contract were both pretty crap.

I wasn't impressed with The Button either, but I'm not a FlashFag so most of that was lost on me.

Jason.

>but Marvel
Every. Single. Time.

Why is it I can go into a Mable thread and see people taking about Marble; but a DC thread inevitably has "but Marble!!"?

He's too busy saving best boy.

>No, no, no: I'm saying that Bat's is far and away their best selling book. Every single book in the that list has Batman in it ( that Flash issue is part of The Button crossover ).

truth be told, this has been a problem of DC for like the past 10-15 years
only the occasional events (Final Crisis, Flashpoint etc.), or a very successful run (Johns' GL) sell out Batman
I'm not saying it's a good thing, but hopefully, the new Dark Matter books, or possible Rebirth books (Shazam, JSA, LoSH etc.) will decrease DC's Bat-dependency

Wtf is the reading order/list for this shit, their seems to be like 20 different books with different names but all the names are very similar and have different spinoffs

I really really don't give a fuck about Marvel. The problem with DC is that it wants to fight fire with fire but it doesn't understand that
1) they will never be as scummy as Marvel
2) their audience will not tolerate as much shit as Marvel fans have tolerated
>they have like one crossover in every 1,5-2 months
And that's too much

will buy it for dami and dick

His point is that the sales bleeding has nothing to do with either as individual companies, the entire industry is crashing again because they've both been retards

this
the big 2 live in a sorta symbiotic relationship
you can't really discuss one without the other

Do any of the various Dark Days/Metal/The Forge/whatever this whole event is called have an issue #2? All I've seen are #1s.

>1) they will never be as scummy as Marvel
Never say never, if what Marvel was doing was working they'd be taking a long hard look at it ( see, for example, the Wonder Woman movie and Joss being brought it for Justice League clean up and future movies ).

However:
>2) their audience will not tolerate as much shit as Marvel fans have tolerated
THIS. And more importantly MARVEL'S FANS AREN'T PUTTING UP WITH IT EITHER!

Seriously:
comicsbeat.com/titling-at-windmillls-259-what-the-hell-is-wrong-with-marvel-comics-anyway/

The bumps from the constant renumberings/relaunches and the crossovers and Big Events have been showing diminishing returns for some time now and it's gotten to the point that Retailers are screaming about it, not just fanboys on the interwebs.

TL;DR anyone says "but Marvel does it too!" you should ask them "yeah, and how's that working out for them right now?"

It's not like the rest of the writers aren't hacks.

What if they have evil universe Damiens to go with the evil Batmans?

>the entire industry is crashing again because they've both been retards
"Marvel's slow start to 2017 worsened in April as Secret Empire #0 released; while the market as a whole was down year-to-date, the market not including Marvel was up."

From the same page as the screencap:

It's like 90s Marvel and Image again.

>everyone who isn't at Morrison or Moore's level is a hack

All one shots are always #1 and then done.

Nightwing and Teen Titans tying into another shitty event to compensate for no direction or decent stories in the ongoing.

>yeah, and how's that working out for them right now?"
Weren't they neck and neck last month and the two before Marvel won? in terms of sales.

Dark Nights: Metal is gonna be a 6-issue mini, I think.

>Defending mediocre writers

>the market not including Marvel was up
Makes me wonder what the sales charts are gonna look like when they get around to posting them :::drums fingers:::

>Nightwing and Teen Titans tying into another shitty event
Also apparently Babsgirl ( which would make sense ), Black Canary ( because TBoP ), Green Arrow ( because ... Black Canary? ), and The Suicide Squad ( I ... got nuffin' ).

SS because of Harley and Croc.

#1 sell better than #0

>Weren't they neck and neck last month and the two before Marvel won? in terms of sales.
I think they pulled ahead in UNITS but still not in DOLLARS ( because most of Marvel's stuff is a dollar or more more per issue ).

The problem is things like this are getting more and more common:
bleedingcool.com/2017/06/09/big-bang-comics-lost-quarter-deadpool-customers/

Basically the shop owner is saying that they kept shitting out oversized $9 issues for Deadpool ( which sold well at first ) but they've killed the goose that laid the golden egg by going back to the well too many times ( if you'll excuse my mangled metaphors ).

If you read the link here:
You'll see quite a long rant about things like this ( from the first paragraph ):
"In February 2017 Marvel’s best-selling ongoing superhero title barely passed 60k on the Diamond chart estimates. They ran three “event” style crossovers – “IvX”, which sold fewer copies than that, and “Clone Conspiracy” and “Monsters Unleashed”, neither of which cracked 50k. In fact, in what probably has to be a first for Marvel comics, other than “Amazing Spider-Man”, they don’t have any ongoing superhero titles selling over 50k in February.

(DC meanwhile places fifteen superhero comics selling over 50k that month, so you have a reasonable comparative)"

Remember that Diamond sales are sales from preorders to the comic shops ( what they think they can sell, not what customers actually ring up and walk out the door with ).

>because most of Marvel's stuff is a dollar or more more per issue
Not most because DC doesn't have that many 2.99 titles left. Also double shipping. But yes, Marvel regularly wins the dollar share.

>but they've killed the goose that laid the golden egg
Sounds like what DC wants to do right now. Hey, remember when Wolverine was a real good seller and was appearing everywhere? Both these companies are obsessed with making a quick buck, it's baffling but with Marvel they're happy to put out 2+ events/year, relaunch relau8nc relaunch with the same creative teams and they also have Star Wars which will for some reason always sell.
DC seems obsessed with pandering to noslagiafags right now by getting the same writers that worked on a character 30 years ago to do a redux and these things won't be massive sellers but they will stagnate their line.

I Will Buy it for Damian Wayne.

Unironically this.

So is everyone now a Batfamily member? I mean all the logos are other characters mixed in with Batman's

An entire Earth where everyone is Batman...

>Hey, remember when Wolverine was a real good seller and was appearing everywhere?
That's actually the perfect example!

More recently they did the same thing with Spider-Man: we had Spider-Man ( Miles), Amazing Spider-Man ( Peter), Renew Your Vows (alt universe Peter married to MJ), Spider-Man/Deadpool, Uncanny Avengers ( he quit in the the first issue of the most recent relauch ), Adjectiveless Avengers, and I'm sure I'm forgetting others.

Also Web Warriors (rip), Silk (rip), Spider-Woman (rip), and Spider-Gwen. Because *clearly* what the MU needed was THREE ONGOING SPIDER-CHICK BOOKS! AND THEN THEY HAD THEM CROSSOVER!!

And Black Panther did really well until they shit out two more books: World of Wakanda and Black Panther and the Crew ( the latter got shitcanned after it's second issue when everyone just noped right past it ).

It's like Being John Malkovich, only with Batman.

>reason always sell.
>DC seems obsessed with pandering to noslagiafags right now by getting the same writers that worked on a character 30 years ago to do a redux and these
Yeah: The Button did nothing for me ( because I only started reading Flash after I started watching the show and only really got into DC with Nu52, although I've gone back and read quite a bit since then ); and The Forge was dropping all sorts of references to shit that I had no fucking clue about until people explained about the Tower and whatall.

Same deal in Titans, Superman, and Wonder Woman really.

>So is everyone now a Batfamily member?
Yes. Yes, they are:

>Peter J. Tomas
>Wonder Woman

Again with this shit. Remember SM/WW?

Black Canary is from Gotham

Too much of Rebirth is:
>See this thing? Remember it from before? Here it is again! You like thing!

That shit doesn't work if you haven't read whatever prior runs they're referencing.

it kinda work because they way DC portray nostalgia makes the casual reader wonder what the deal is, so they search about it online.

This are just one shots tying in to an event though, not a bunch of new on-goings.

>That shit doesn't work if you haven't read whatever prior runs they're referencing.
I feel your pain. Image related was a really shitty two issue homage to Darwin Cooke ... which people fell all over themselves praising because he'd just passed.

>
>makes the casual reader wonder what the deal is, so they search about it online.
That doesn't really work though: if you're not emotionally invested in Wally West then having him show up in Rebirth has zero impact. Looking it up will tell you WHO he is ... but you're still not going to get anything out of it.

If you've read Crisis and you see the Tower at the end of The Forge then that's going to flash you back to when you read it; looking it up just gives you a paragraph about the Anti-Monitor ( literally, who? ) and leaves you scratching your head.

In the case of image related it was actually WORSE because when I found the comic that was being referenced the whole thing had already been spoiled by the superman issues.

Doesn't stop casuals from loathing an adaptation even if they've never read the source material. See Rucka's WW run from Rebirth. You'll see everyone from Mary Sue to other comic journos praising it.

Just look up reddit. You'll see a lot of casuals there praising rebirth, while saying that they don't like to read anything before 2000s.

I think DC recognized this problem, that's why the Dark Matter books are going to be new or refurbished properties

>This are just one shots tying in to an event though, not a bunch of new on-goings.
This is true, but it's STILL an awful lot of Bat Books all at one go.

YOU get a Batman! And YOU get a Batman! And YOU get a Batman! EVERBODY GETS A BATMAN!!

>DC seems obsessed with pandering to noslagiafags right now by getting the same writers that worked on a character 30 years ago to do a redux and these things won't be massive sellers but they will stagnate their line.

Besides Jurgens on Action Comics, what ongoing DC books have writers who worked on the book from 20+ years ago

>Everyone complains about how there's never any evil Batmen stories
>Snyder dedicates a whole event to an army of evil Batmen
M A D M A N

Personally though that's what really made me dig deeper into comics as a kid, so I'm glad they're doing it again. And it expands you're imagination if you don't know what the thing is and kind of need to fill in the blanks.

Every comic is someone's first comic, and they work really well when their's unexplained stuff because you know you can buy more issues and find out more.

Not really. The execution is just bland so it leaves people cold. It works for hype men but hype men are shill-y so it doesn't matter.

Not everyone is 20+ years, but they brought back Rucka, Bates, Dixon, Barr, Giffen on blue beetle again.

They're old gimmicks and characters getting a facelift. Most of them originul donut steel levels of uncreative.

+ Wolfman on Raven, Wein on Swamp Thing, Ostrander on Suicide Squad one-shots
At least most of those are contained in minis

>You'll see a lot of casuals there praising rebirth, while saying that they don't like to read anything before 2000s.
I think that, at least at first, had more to do with the overall tone: nu52 was pretty fucking bleak and edgy overall. I mean: Johns literally said that they'd "lost the joy" somewhere along the line.

What boggles my braincells is how repetitive some of the books are even if you're NOT an oldFag with 30 years of longboxes.

I mean: image related is from the first arc of The Flash. It's literally the fucking plot of EVERY SEASON of the tv show ffs!

Over in Green Arrow they hooked up Ollie and Black Canary ( with zero build up ) then had Ollie lose his company and blew up the city ... where have I seen THIS before? ( I'm just waiting for him to run for mayor again. )

Action Comics started out with DOOMSDAY ATTACKS! ( Didn't I just see this in a movie? )

That's not to poop on the whole line, I'm reading more DC now than I was before Rebirth, but the shine's worn off of quite a bit of it for me.

Neal Adams is also going to be working on Deadman and then there's Tomasi recycling his work on B&R on Superman but giving it a new paint job.
And then there's stuff like Green Arrow and Nightwing that are just "let's go over their history and remake them 2017 style"
Other than that they've been giving a lot of hacks like Tieri and Jai Nitz one shots and minis.

Not like Raven or Swamp Thing have ongoings...

And?
The point is that they are going to be accessible for new readers

Here's the problem, a mediocre comic referencing something much better and making you read it will only make the current ongoing look even more pointless and stupid.

>Johns literally said
Nobody gives a fuck what that hack had to say.

But they're still unimaginative and repetitive and they most likely won't sell. For the most part, they've got the same creative teams the Rebirth line up does so they're not even bringing in fresh voices.