Find a flaw

Find a flaw

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Az7XnIs-_d0
web.archive.org/web/20080724001846/kataangforever.net/forum/index.php?topic=13596.0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Aang and his need to fuck Katara.

The third season.

What was so bad about it?

Basically this, the rest is perfect. Yeah, even the lion-turtle, deal with it.

Giant fish god asspull
Jesus water asspull
Lion Turtle Cop out

Energy Bending giving him a way to bullshit himself out of his moral dilemma and not making the firelord likeable to give the moral dilemma a bigger impact.

The sequel.

The licensed fan fiction Nickelodeon calls a sequel.

For me at least it was a lot of build up to no payoff. Not to mention all of the final battles kinda got resolved by dumb luck. Not only the rock of not breaking your spine but also randomly finding a non-lethal way to deal with the fire lord, Azula being to cray to actually fight, and etc

Energybending, lion turtle, rock slamming. Also this .

Meh, I liked it more often then I hated it, solid 7/10, where Atla is a 10/10

fpbp

This. The entirety of it. Season 2 finale as well.

I don't hate it as much as some people do, but I do consider it a step down in writing quality, from season 2 especially. The biggest flaw for me is how the season is structured. There's too many episodes prior to the invasion mucking around, and then there's virtually no build up to the finale after the invasion. The 'field trips' with Zuko, while not bad episodes, were a pretty uninspired way to spend that time. I was also disappointed with the fact that Aang doesn't really get a decent character arc outside of the first episode, where the guilt he feels for failing as the avatar returns. I would've loved if they had stretched that narrative out for a few more episodes, and then incorporated the moral dilemma he faces in the finale earlier on, because introducing it that late in the game was dumb. I don't mind that Aang doesn't kill Ozai, in fact I prefer that he doesn't, but the resolution was out of nowhere and cheapened the whole thing. Toph should've gotten some more focus. Azula's descent into madness could've been developed better. The relationship between Katara and Aang was poorly written and the fact they ended up together is not supported by the narrative at all. There were also a few bullshit plot contrivances like the Earth King not telling the Gaang that he informed Azula about the invasion, and Zuko not mentioning Ozai's plan to wipe out the Earth Kingdom. I still like it, but it's far from perfect.

That episode where Aang tries to learn how to tap into his avatar state from Pathik, but doesn't. It felt like a huge waste of time to me.

This. Third season was a mess. Especially, the finale. It had a lot of stupid ass moments. Throwing a fucking beach party? Getting your chakra unblocked by a perfectly shaped rock? Come on.

>Getting your chakra unblocked by a perfectly shaped rock
I still don't know how else they could've written themselves out of that hole to be fair.

I just started watching this for the first rime. When I was younger in wanted nothing to do with it
I'm on episode 12 or 13 and it's pretty nice.

What did it even mean for Aang to "let go" of Katara? The Guru shit never went anywhere.

Zahir ended up doing what Aang couldn't in S3 of Korra, which is the only good season in that shit series.

The chakra block was never physical, it was mental. Aang wasn't prepared to give up his earthly connections and he thought that meant giving up on being the Avatar, he'd essentially separated himself from the Avatar state mentally, he only got his Avatar state back after realizing being the Avatar meant he couldn't separate himself from the world he was meant to protect, that he was right not to give up his earthly ties.

YangChen talks about this when he's wondering about killing Ozai and in one of the games.

Read all these criticisms is validating. Never liked ATLA much but it really went down the drain with Book 3.

Should've killed Ozai by mistake

Yeah, I remember the chakra block being a mental thing but they turned it into a physical one with the rock jammin'.

He unlocked the Avatar State mentally in the season 2 finale. The reason he couldn't access it in season 3 was a physical block caused by Azula's lightning.

Forced drama

But Aang still became a fully realized Avatar and whatever. This doesn't make sense.

To let go of what connected him to the physical world, Katara was Aang's only anchor to the world,
near everything he'd known had been destroyed.

It went everywhere.

youtube.com/watch?v=Az7XnIs-_d0
That was shit for several reasons, one namely being that other air nomads had reached enlightenment, they did not fly.

And Aang was never actually supposed to do this.

Again, no it wasn't. Aang got shocked in the Avatar State after managing to enter it again and lost confidence in himself.

Because people are stuck on the "separate yourself" thing, which was explained several times to not be right for an Avatar. Doing so is giving up your connection to the world the Avatar is duty bound to protect.

>and lost confidence in himself.
What are you talking about? I thought the show made it clear it was the damage done by Azula that was blocking the chakra. Why does it then take a rock to unlock the chakra pathways?

Attachement ≠ Love

Making it a physical block was a mistake. Maybe they should've kept him from being able to control the Avatar State at all until the season 3 finale. That would be far more compelling than having a rock fix it.

The rock was terrible. They should have just had Toph punch Aang to fix the problems.

Toph's character development kinda stopped after her arc ended, we just got like 1 or 2 episodes about her in Book 3. She was such a fun and interesting character, and made a great side character, but I wish they had done more with her.

The rock is completely irrelevant, he had his Avatar powers back before that he just didn't get sent into the Avatar state in that time. After reconnecting with the previous Avatars he only needed to heal for a while before he could do it again.

Zahir became lighter than air and could fly after he "let go". Also some other spiritual crap.

LoK isn't canon, I thought we already established this.

The first and third season
Can't even say it was because it was a diamond in the rough since there was a lot of good shit that came out back then and it was also just aping a trend at the time.

As somebody who likes avatar it always baffled me that people consistently call it one of the greatest cartoons ever made, while many of those same people also admit that season 1 and especially season 3 weren't that good. Like if 1/3 - 2/3 of a show isn't that great how can it be one of the greatest cartoons of all time? Yes it's a good show and even those seasons are ahead of the standard cartoon, but that's a fucking tall claim to make while also dismissing large parts of the show.

For the record I think that a lot of people over-exaggerate the flaws of those seasons, and I think it's legitimately a strong contender for the title but it's a contradiction that always confused me.

>even those seasons are ahead of the standard cartoon
Why are you asking if you already know the answer?

>What did it even mean for Aang to "let go" of Katara?
Stop harassing her and let her find her own path to Zuko.
Or, put much more simply: GET OVER HER.

The last 2 minutes of the beach gave as much character development for Zuko as all of his other episodes.

>relearn the same lesson he had been taught throughout nearly the whole show
>character development

True, he should have fucked Toph instead.

Accepting those lessons, vocalizing his issues, learning humility, realizing right from wrong in his life.

No, Toph was supposed to get with Sokka. The original plan didn't have Aang getting with anyone, at least not until he found the secret airbender society.

All things he did OVER and OVER again until it just became painful to watch.

Too much of an age gap for Toph and Sokka. It was never anything more in the show than a cute crush anyway.

Sure it has plenty of flaws still a 10/10 .

You don't know what you're talking about. The original, Ehasz-preferred script had Tokka and Zutara happening, along with a bunch of other awesome stuff we sadly never got to see at all.

Go rewatch it. You're going to pick that shit apart instead of Aang in kindergarten, painted lady, ember island players, and many many more legitimately bad episodes from that season?

It's all bad. The show is overrated trash.
(It's also by far the best Western animation has ever shat out, so that tells you a lot right away.)

Are you fucking implying that the Headband and Ember Island Players are bad episodes?

Sauce? I know the zutara stuff is real, and they probably should've gone that route honestly.

That bullshit final battle and Aantarra

Ehasz was actually more for Tokka than Zutara:
web.archive.org/web/20080724001846/kataangforever.net/forum/index.php?topic=13596.0

Yes very much so. Headband is trash except for starting the idea that the Fire Nation isn't completely evil. Ember Island Players made light out of everything up until that point. It had it's funny moments but for the episode before the finale it was out of place.

Oh and fuck Nightmares and Dreamscapes.

You mean the first season right

no footjob scene

Nah, you have no idea what you're talking about. Either that or you have the shittiest taste on Sup Forums

I recognize its relative brilliance among cartoons. The problem is that cartoons are universally trash, which is why adults watch anime instead.

Writing issues like the ones in this show all come from that one simple fact - nobody is going to hire talented screenwriters, or put much effort into writing something that is garbage anyways.

>web.archive.org/web/20080724001846/kataangforever.net/forum/index.php?topic=13596.0
That's not exactly compelling evidence. Sounds like he said it as a joke, and this is second-hand from a tumblr page.

Please god explain to us how you think hitting his back on a rock gave Aang his confidence back.

Sokka was effectively useless since they could never show him hitting anyone with a weapon

>Find a flaw
it ended

Aang is bald and gay

>and this is second-hand from a tumblr page.
>2008
what am I fucking reading

>could've given him a staff or a mace or nunchaku or anything
>they give him the one weapon they'd never be able to show him using
Why

I realised my error as soon as I posted it, but you know what I mean.

Yeah, that last bit *could* be interpreted as a joke, but it backs up the other info I've seen. He was a pretty vocal supporter of Tokka throughout.

>Didn't kill Ozai
>Kids seemed too happy for being almost constantly pursued by the Fire Nation in a world they were on the verge of conquering

>Kids seemed too happy for being almost constantly pursued by the Fire Nation in a world they were on the verge of conquering
This show had plenty of bad writing, this is one example of actual good writing in it. They're kids

this is my first time here in a long time, do you guys still circejerk over how much you hate HIBY?

That episode with the canyon

books 3-4. Bryan Konietzko's writing of aang, katara, and zuko.
dropping the spiritual progression of aang's journey to shoehorn in the Lion Turtle to defeat Ozai.
Nickelodeon for forcing the writers to let Ozai live and forcing the romance of Aang and Katara (among other bs like less funding, less commercials for the show, and the hiatus)
the primary writers of the show having to compromise to write the new plot because of Bryke and Nick.
overall the show is still a solid 7/10 despite Nick & Bryke erasing the previous plots for the new ones.

it created Korra

As usual, idiots like you who have no idea what they're talking about come in and try to explain shit.
The lion turtle was always planned. So was Ozai not dying. Ehasz also supported both.
You're correct on Zutara but that's all but common knowledge by now.

Oh, and what in the world do you mean by this?
>the primary writers of the show having to compromise to write the new plot because of Bryke and Nick.
If you're referring to LOK, the writers simply weren't as talented as the Ehaszes. Nothing to do with forced compromises.

>The gaang wander around aimlessly in the Fire Nation stalling for time until the invasion
>Zuko spends most of his time in the Fire Nation in a badly done romance that adds nothing to his character, while hardly having scenes with Ozai or Azula
>Azula gets a rushed arc where she goes insane in the final episodes despite doing nothing in the rest of the season except spill spaghetti in the beach and tell Zuko to stop whining
>Ozai is just a mustache-twirling villain that hardly appears until the finale
>the only episode that gives any depth to the Fire nation is thrown aside in order to have Kataang's dance party
>Sokka acts like a retard during his whole swordbending training (paints a rainbow, face signature, getting confortable and asking for drinks) and is still told that he's gonna be the best swordsman ever and then he never even does anything with his sword.
>Toph's entire arc in the whole season is "you're not my mom, Katara" "I miss my mom Katara"
>an entire episode about bloodbending, yet it never pays off until LoK
>Order of White Lotus sends two non benders and a blind girl to take down Ozai's entire fleet while they liberate a city that Zuko could have freed once he became firelord
>Aang's moralfaggotry about no killing isn't brought up until the finale despite that he was supposed to fight Ozai on the invasion
>Zuko vs Azula gets a very anticlimatic resolution just because bryke forgot to give Katara something to do in the finale
>Magical chyropractor rock

It's not bad but it's heavily flawed and a step down compared to Book 2

>Zuko vs Azula gets a very anticlimatic resolution just because bryke forgot to give Katara something to do in the finale
It was actually for the original Zutara plan. (Notice how Zuko immediately chooses Katara to go with him over everyone else present.)

I liked the bloodbending episode. That's the one filler episode I'd keep in there.

>lackcluster first season
>last third of the 3rd season
>horrible sequel

>last third of the 3rd season
>implying the first third wasn't the shitty one
You've got some pretty awful taste.

What was the zutara plan? Any sources?

Fire Nation did absolutely nothing wrong at all.

The only actual source I know of has been removed from the Internet, sadly. But yeah, it was supposed to happen, and the setup with the lightning in the finale was almost certainly a kiss scene in the original script.

Moreso that they baited Zutarans

4 years. That age gap is irrelevant once they're adults.

It's 3 years you math-challenged dumbfuck.

This. All the setup of Lightning backfiring without Emotional Balance, all given up for a fight between two characters who have no emotional stakes with each other.

You seem to be agreeing with me in the first sentence, and disagreeing in the second...?

>Implying most anime isn't also trash
I love anime user, but most of it is badly written shit too. There's good stuff of course, like everything, but 90% of it is just fun trash.

The timeframe of the show is when they are still kids though.

The average anime isn't even comparable to the average cartoon, the difference is so stark.
You're purposely ignoring the obvious here.

why can we never have a avatar thread talking about the good shit its always talking about the bad shit