The "I Don't Know, I Kinda Liked It" Thread

We all have books, cartoons, movies, and so on in our past that we enjoyed despite popular or widespread opinion.

Take this thread as a chance to talk about it and found out either that you aren't alone... Or how you're an inhuman monster who deserves a painful death enema.

The pendulum swings both ways in these parts.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dXqSXogETjI
youtube.com/watch?v=WBK0i83ip78
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I don't know what Sup Forums's consensus was on Dan Vs. But this is as good at time as any to find out.

I enjoyed it. I was a kid that didn't know anything about cinema, but I enjoyed it.

I've got the feeling I'd still enjoy it because I still don't know much about cinema.

I watched this movie plenty of time when I was a kid, and I still kind of remember those scenes of contemplative Hulk, or Hulk's flashbacks, and the scenes with his dad, and so on. That scene where he runs in the desert and fights tanks was the coolest shit to me when I was a kid. I was too young to even understand what I was seeing but back then I thought they were just mature beyond my understanding (took me a while to realize they weren't, really).

I haven't rewatched it in a while but I can't say I hate it, it's practically a distant memory. The weird Hulk movie where he flied in the desert, fought giant dogs and his electric dad, and with awful CGI that made him look like Shrek crossed with Kenshiro. It seems like it was trying to take the character a little more seriously that it had to, but that's kind of why I liked it back then. It tried to present Hulk differently.

Maybe it's just because I don't really remember how bad it was.

It's not a good movie but it had enough entertaining moments that I enjoyed it. Hell, I'd say the back story given to Zarathos in the movie is better than the ones from the comic not to mention his overall portrayal was awesome. I also admire that it's marching to the beat of it's own drum. It's not trying to be the Christopher Nolan Batman movies or even the MCU movies. It sort of has a style and tone of it's own so I have to respect that.

When you look at it from a story and writing perspective, it's a mess but I would certainly take this over the majority of the MCU movies any day of the week.

youtube.com/watch?v=dXqSXogETjI

And Nic Cage as a guy possessed by a horrifically powerful spirit was a good choice to play a guy possessed by a horrifically powerful spirit.

Despite all the criticisms (and I'll not deny plenty of them are valid) it's still one of my favorite Cape movies that got me interested in Superman as a franchise and got me to appreciate him for what he's meant to be

I was suprised the few who remembered this didn't like it.

Though to be fair I only remember it as fondly as I do because I associate watching it with my sister.

It wasn't what I was expecting, but it grew on me. The potential was there.

It was way less "cool" than it could have been, and way too silly... but it wasnt horrible.
The real stars were Chou and Waltz.. Rogen was just Rogen

If i was a serious fan of the character though I'd probably hate it with the fury of a thousand suns.

I'm a casual fan of the character. I looked at it as a parody, but what else can you do with Seth Rogen as the star? Had a chuckle, but longed for a serious adaption of GH, especially if it were a period piece.

I still liked the original, despite everyone seeming to hate it

It was a fun romp and the Nautilus was cool. Lot of the action was great too

I still enjoy it, it's campy fun.
Nope. Still, just...nope, but it did have superior Betty.
Why couldn't they have just given us Crank 3...
First time I've ever like movie Clark
Aside from Rogan its decent.

The same wayof the creator of dan vs, hated that they're shafted by small miniature equines I acquired

I did not have a fun time reading the comics for this

I really like Batman and Robin

I find it incredibly entertaining.

I watch it at least once a year. I love it

What's the general view on the 90s pulp trilogy (Rocketeer, Shadow, Phantom) these days? I remember reviews being mixed, but I enjoyed the fuck out of them. Maybe with the passage of time - and so many inferior cape films released since then - people can appreciate them better now.

I liked the jacket, too.

100% agree. I get the Ivan Ooze jokes when the first pics were released but he looked great in the movie. Plus he actually felt like a real global threat and his dialogue was epic like it needed to be.

He was better than just about every MCU villain and I really don't think Thanos is gonna be executed as well.

I cried when Beethoven was playing during this movie. No joke, Beethoven's 7th and Moonlight Sonata are secret triggers to induce crying for me because it makes me think about how he grew deaf and unable to appreciate the beauty he made, as well as how he made a composition to describe the moon for a blind lady.

Anyways, regarding that movie, I liked it, felt it had an appreciable composition of story telling. Kind of funny how the main thing Apocalypse did was do fashion makeovers like a Gay stylist.
> I don't believe in the Devil.
John Constantine: You should. He believes in you.

Love that line

It's not Constantine, but it's an enjoyable movie.

Fuckin Peter Stormare was on point as the devil.

I think it's cute.

The Rocketeer is fantastic and I don't care what anyone says, I fucking love it. The Shadow's alright, but I haven't seen it in a while. I should give it another watch.

The Phantom I barely remember because I think I've only seen it the one time.

honestly it's decent enough for what it is, only real problem with it is that it's source material is an extremely good comic while it's only average as a movie

also Mina being a vampire makes so much more sense for her to be part of the League than the comic's version(honestly I don't recall the comics ever giving an actual reason why Mina was recruited to help form the League in the first place)

honestly Bane is my only major issue with B&R, would have been better if they had gone with Blockbuster or Killer Croc instead if they needed a dumb brute character

I thought it was a cool new look. But I liked it better without the jacket

I rewatch it bi-monthly. Made me fall in love with Superman. Suck a dick, Sup Forums, it's great. If you disagree, go watch fucking Ant-Man, plebs.

Sup Forums fucking worships that shit, as do I.

Whats the Sup Forums consensus on this? I remember liking but not loving? First time I saw Waltz on film, blew my mind how well he played such a dumb role, which is what makes a great actor.

Yeah but he makes me laugh, so it works for me.

If I love Rocketeer, should I watch Shadow and Phantom? They're on my list, but should i push them up?

Those neon painted thugs we're awesome, surprised it took 19 years before someone finally ripped off the look.

The Phantom movie was pretty meh. But I'm not really a Phantom fan so I can't really judge it as an adaptation, nor was I too interested in it when I saw it.

Rocketeer is a fantastic movie that still holds up really well. It's easily the best of the bunch. Even if you are not familiar with the source material.

The Shadow is decent. And as a huge The Shadow fan this hurts to say, because I really wished this was so much better than it was, and it could have been so. It could, and it should, have been fantastic if only it had the right tone, a much stronger script and characters and probably a different director. They bit off more than they could chew by trying to cram all 4 Shiwan Khan pulps into one movie.
And honestly the movie was just extremely unlucky. Projects for a The Shadow movie were passed around since 1982, and Walter Gibson really wanted to be involved while he was still alive, but unfortunately, he died, the movie stayed in limbo, Batman 89 revitalized the genre instead, and when it was The Shadow's turn finally, people weren't interested and it had to compete with The Lion King at the box office.

I like it, I'm just frustrated that it wasn't as good as it could have been.

Originally Alan Moore wanted Irene Adler as the token female but then changed his mind because she was an obscure character and the league was already using too much of Sherlock Holmes's lore. The in-universe reason was that Muriarty thought a woman was the best choice for dealing with the huge egos on the team

I liked it for what it was. It's nothing at all like the comic, but it's pretty clearly not trying to be either. I wouldn't have minded if it got a sequel.

I saw the Green Lantern movie after the internet had been shitting on it for a few years, and while I wouldn't say it's a good movie, I think it has fun moments and a pretty sincere performance by Ryan Reynolds.

Personally, I loved The Phantom. It's extremely cheesy but I think it's a lot of fun with great performances from Billy Zane and Treat Williams.

As for The Shadow...I remember watching the movie when I was very young and I remember liking it. Now that I'm older, I don't know how well it will hold up.

Aliens look great, Sinestro is rad, and when Hal invokes the oath during the final battle, it's awesome. Otherwise, not worth the 5$ I paid at Wal-mart.

I think it was mostly due to the fact that I had never heard anyone say anything good about the movie for several years that I was able to enjoy any of it. My standards had been lowered to such a degree only ants could limbo under them.

If you feel like it. Although The Rocketeer is much better than those two

Once you realise that the movie is supposed really silly and that it's not taking itself seriously since it's supposed to take inspiration from the 60's show the movie becaome more intertaining. Still bad but entertining if that makes any since

You're a cool guy user

The extended edition fixed a lot of the flaws with it by adding context and explaining the motivations of Clark and Bruce. Lex is the most glaring flaw for me, but the movie is good considering they were forced to jam as much shit as possible in it

For some reason my friends and I saw this movie like four times in theaters. We all liked it, but seriously. I can't remember if there wasn't anything better out at the time.

I understand everyone else but you.

>one of my favorite Cape movies that got me interested in Superman as a franchise
>>franchise
>Suck a dick, Sup Forums, it's great. If you disagree, go watch fucking Ant-Man, plebs.
Then again... Sup Forums.

This movie started always reminds of the untapped potential of Christian mythology for supernatural settings. It's a shame it never got sequels.

I share their sentiment.

I liked Lex. He was identical to comic Lex in every way but one- he couldn't (or didn't) mask his pettiness and petulance with the guise of a gentleman.

Sup Forums generally agrees that it was a good show that got axed way too soon.

Don't know about Sup Forums, but it seems my opinion and the others that commented is that the movie would have been infinitely better without Rogen as the lead since he basically just plays himself.

Saw this in the theater when I was a kid. I liked it back then and still kind of do to this day. I can understand the hate for it, but I don't think it was meant to be a serious movie.

It's literally an MCU movie.

Aren't Fantastic Four movies not Marvel's property or something?

I can never watch League because James Robinson wrote it, and after Starman I was a huge fan and it kinda ruined him.

Why is he wearing a mask?

I don't like the movie because it feels like nothing happens in it. There's one quick action scene on the bridge, and then Dr. Doom finally meets the Fantastic Four in like the last scene and is defeated really quickly.

I love the first Fantastic Four movie because it's one of the only superhero movies where a character gets superpowers and just wants to fuck around and become famous.

>tfw I always thought of it as mindless fun and nothing more
>after the remake I watched this one again and it felt like a masterpiece even with the awful puns

Truly another experience

They're not Marvel Studios and not part of the MCU as a result, so no.

Really liked the movie when it came out and still like it now. Sure is not the best piece of cinema ever but it gets more hate than what it deserves.

It should've been Armie Hammer

Batman Forever.

Mainly I want a version that's just the Riddler Two-Face parts because I thinks they're funny.

I gotta watch it again now because Jim Carry said Jones absolutely hated working with him.

it's a fucking great movie
nobody would even like a hellraiser film true to the comic books. Not even the people who like the comics

they buchered it completely with the villain(s) and all the green CGI hurt my eyes. It was ok

>and all the green CGI hurt my eyes.
Watch the Reeve Superman movie again.
Technology is so much better now.

Me too user
I would a bad angel

Reed actually feels like hero material in that one and Ben looks fantastic. I wish Johnny wasn't a dick though I understand he works better that way. Sue is believable as a woman, even if not particularly likable.

>someone does basic research about that young reporter Clark Kent, because they read an interesting article
>Wow, he's apparently a really good football player
>What, he solved the energy crisis, by discovering a way to turn saltwater into energy?!
>what, he was an expert chemist, economist, architect/civil engineer and profi baseball player?!
>My, my that guy has quite a lot of hidden talents! Quite the SUPERB GUY!

kek

I loved this movie as a kid, and because of that nostalgia, I still can't hate it today.

It helped that the cartoon was kickass

Did anyone even really dislike it that much?
I mean it wasn't a masterpiece or anything, but it seemed like a perfectly acceptable movie to me.

There was some "not muh Constantine". It's good for what it is, though. Keanu-Constantine isn't comics-Constantine but I'm okay with it anyway. Main problem with the film is that asshat Lebeouf appearing in it.

>Keanu-Constantine isn't comics-Constantine but I'm okay with it anyway

I feel like he's closer then people admit, accent aside.

He really is just a weapons-grade asshole for most of the movie, even moreso then Matt Ryan in the TV show. It's pretty rare for a major Hollywood action movie to revel in the main character being such a cunt.

fight me

This movie gets shit on too much. Yes it's bad, but its also misunderstood. It was never meant to be a serious movie. Why can't people understand that?

I think The Lion King 1 ½ is a legitimately funny movie. Maybe because I was a fan of the Timon & Pumbaa show, but I really liked this one.

Hellblazer.

Hellraiser is the one with the evil puzzle box and BDSM monsters.

>this kills the Connery's career

I wasn't aware people hated it.

it was mediocre in every aspect and etc, but wasn't hating it, i could think of various parts were things were dumb enough to be entertaining as fuck, but then i remember the absolutely most pandery and hackish move of repeating the time in a bottle scene, it wrecks this movie in the past and future of itself.

jesus what a dumpster fire.

Sean Connery's final live action role.

Nah, it's great

I enjoyed this movie, I remember seeing it in theaters and seeing people walk out one by one. But shit it had some good animation, and it made me feel and laugh a little. Too bad the animation studio behind this movie got shut down though, I can understand people hating this movie from that fact alone; and also Adam Sandler.

I love this movie, using the cats to cross between worlds, how hell looks exactly like earth but apocalyptic, the anti-bible/hell bible and Peter fucking Stormare.

This movie is rad as fuck and you're a piece of shit if you don't like it.

It's still mindless fun, just your expectations have been ground to dust.

That would involve potentially touching you, you need a firing squad.

This is something that if it was direct to video and sandler died right after would have a following, the amount of effort in it is completely wasted on essentially an animated Sandler film.

The animation in that film was amazing.
I'll still watch a scene or two when it's on TV because of the quality of the visuals.

Everything else about that film can rot in hell.

What's strange is that it didn't exactly flop though, it made more than 100 million than it took to make and got mild reviews, if anything its just mediocre. We probably only judge it so harshly by todays standards because its so hockey, rather than the pseudo-realism we get in the MCU.

Hell, the MCU Hulk made about the same amount of money and got a similar reception, but at least I remember what happened in the 2003 iteration, really speaks to Ang Lee's abilities as a director.

I like most things, so I thought I'd have a long list, but my shelf is full of things that are regarded as good. My only real questionable thing is MLP which I never stopped enjoying.

Maybe Nimona? I never see it talked about, but I have a feeling Sup Forums has a hateboner for it. Has a real early Adventure Time feel if you ask me, though. I like that Barnyard cartoon too. Does everyone hate that, or is that just Dr. Pig meming?

Wonder Woman was a fun ride, despite all its flaws.

I dunno, Macavoy and Fassbender are always a pleasure to watch, even when the material is shit.

>You should. He believes in you.
It's a really neat line, but it's a bit spoiled for me because I've read about two dozen of the Discworld books and Terry Pratchett uses that line in 1/3 of them. Also the line, "(insert word here) is something that happens to other people."

Johnny Test BUT only season 1

Ah yes the, "I struggle to lift 5+ tons" Hulk of the MCU :)

mien nigger, this is still the version I sing in the shower to this day
youtube.com/watch?v=WBK0i83ip78

It's fine as one of those background noise shows, and those comics Jab drew about it make up for any flaws it might have in my mind. Santo Playa is my favorite one, but the Johnny Test two are right behind it.

I thought Hellraiser was the one with the red skinned, stone armed demon guy.