The Crow was such a good movie, why can't we have comic movies like that anymore...

The Crow was such a good movie, why can't we have comic movies like that anymore? When will the stigma against anything that's dark, or stylized in any way as opposed to being totally cookie cutter be gone?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Mk2GIwtzSsc
youtube.com/watch?v=8XoRGgpF2qc
youtube.com/watch?v=F2ucqK4993c
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

people dont like dark things because people have over saturated the market with horrible grimdakrm oveis that expressed darkness for the sake of darkness

if you want dark movies, go back to the 90s, where we had spawn and the blade trilogy (blade one was good, but the others not so much)

Almost two decades have past since the 90s. Trends are circular, eventually the "muh lightheartedness" bubble will end

>The Crow was such a good movie
It was incredibly in tune with the '90s dark and edgy "grunge" period, but I don't know if it's anything but "okay" outside of that. As a period piece it is very good, like, say, The Maxx or Daria.

That movie really killed it.

Must have been a murder to make.

I feel like it took far more influence from a 1980s goth aesthetic than anything. And as far as action films go, all the best ones came from the 80s and 90s anyway.

still the best comicbook movie ever made, by a long shot too.

The Crow was not a mainstream comic. It did not have the same "gotta stay marketable and protect the brand" influence that mainstream capeshit does.

Mainstream capeshit is a business first and foremost.

I'd say The Punisher is very mainstream, yet each of his films have had very different approaches

...Nice one. Poor Brandon.

I miss movies with kickass soundtracks.

youtube.com/watch?v=Mk2GIwtzSsc

Punisher is one of a handful of exceptions. There is zero ability for daddy Disney to shill him to children, as gun violence is inherent to his character.
But keep in mind that as far as I'm aware, Netflix has been the only outlet for characters like him since the Disney buy-out.
Though, I swear he might have been on that Super Hero Squad show, so even he can be sanitized in small doses, but the thread seemed more concerned with movies.

Well sure that's all true, but I was more responding to the idea that the only reason The Crow was allowed to not be generic/safe and tow company line was because it wasn't mainstream, but Punisher had actions figures for kids and all that pre MCU/Disney so he was quite mainstream, and also managed to have movies that weren't exactly family friendly

You could say it's inherent to the character to not be that, but it would be pretty easy to make a Punisher movie and turn it into a generic family action flick, it happened to Mortal Kombat

Are they still trying to remake this? It seems like it has been in development hell for years.

>Though, I swear he might have been on that Super Hero Squad show, so even he can be sanitized in small doses, but the thread seemed more concerned with movies.

youtube.com/watch?v=8XoRGgpF2qc

They really shouldn't either way

>Punisher
>mainstream
Did I wake up in an alternate universe?

He's an internationally popular A-list superhero, he's pretty mainstream.

Dark and stylized has been cookie cutter since the 90s.

He was in Spider-Man TAS, which was super squeaky clean violence-wise (Peter pretty much wasn't allowed to punch people), and they still did a spectacular job with the character.

So was Logan an animated children's comedy starring Kevin James, or did people just hate it.

They made three sequels and a TV show that all sucked.

If you look at something that was good and think "if we just copy what this did right surely we'll have another hit" then you're part of the problem.

Hellboy 1 and 2 was pretty dark imo.

It was great.
youtube.com/watch?v=F2ucqK4993c

He was. Punisher was marketed to kids alongside all the other Marvel cast in the 90s, maybe that was before your time.

It's not about copying The Crow or making sequels to it, it's about making comic movies that aren't afraid of not being family films or feeling "samey" to everything else around them

I remember watching that movie as a kid. I didn't understand what it was about, except that WCW's Sting was killing people and he had a pet bird.

This movie gave me clownphobia.

The Crow was Suicide Squad done right as in they put in 20 songs from current artists in it and the songs didn't feel out of place.

The kids of today should defend themselves against the nineties.

No it won't.
Even in the 90s, there was a stigma against grimdark.

What is this edgy shit. MCU and WW are superheroes done right. Thanks Johns, Whedon and Gal Gadot for saving capeshit.

>mistaking movies with MTV ads

>What is this edgy shit
Proto-emo stuff.
>MCU
>superheroes done right
You were doing so fine, Ladderbro.

Too obvious.Better luck next time.

You might as well claim Judge Dredd is mainstream in that case. But it's wrong. One film (or even two) and some cameos in some cartoons doesn't make a character mainstream.

>You might as well claim Judge Dredd is mainstream in that case
How so? Aside from the movies and cameos in more popular heroes media, Punisher had video games, action figures, etc, he was a household name among anybody with any inkling towards the nerdy

He wasn't an A-lister like Spider-Man or Wolverine, but he was certainly mainstream as one of the most well known Marvel heroes for a long time. How old are you, if I may ask
>Even in the 90s, there was a stigma against grimdark.
Among people much older than you who's opinions you parrot, to the target demo it was the only thing worth selling. One day the little brothers of kids like you who swear crap like GOTG and Avengers is the be all end all of capeshit media will grow up and remember how corny they thought their older brothers shit was, and yes, the age of "fun and camp" will end, just like the age of cynicism and darkness ended and gave birth to shit like Adventure Time and Bronies, nothing against either show btw but all things end, rainbows and neon colors only sell for so long before black comes back in fashion

>How so? Aside from the movies and cameos in more popular heroes media, Punisher had video games, action figures, etc
So did Dredd...

I think you're vastly overestimating the popularity or household-nameness of The Punisher.

Could be a case of differing from household to household, but I knew nobody growing up who ever talked about Judge Dredd, seemed more a 80s novelty that didn't carry over to the 90s in my experience...only non Marvel or DC character that was popular was Spawn that I recall

All I want is a good mix of superhero shit and horror.

The problem with the punisher is how do you differentiate it from the slew of revenge movies already pervasive in hollywood. Back then it would've been wrote off as bronson in a skull tee, now it'll be john wick in a skull tee. The only thing that would make him interesting is the interactions and contrasts with the rest of the shared universe. Otherwise it might as well be another liam neeson movie.

I mean the original film did have more of a generic action film vibe, thought not bad. The second one had a much more comic bookish vibe as it had over the top characters like The Russian and whoever the fuck Travoltas character was supposed to be, and same with Warzone, which on top of being cartoonishly violent and bloody had Jigsaw and Looney Bin Jim serving as truly comic book style, over the top mob characters

Have you rewatched Blade 2 recently? It's pretty great emphasis on "pretty". GTD's direction really elevates it.

It may be dark, but I don't really think it's "edgy". It's a stock revenge story with a supernatural twist, no edgier than a billion westerns.

The real heart of the story is Eric's relations with Shelly, the kid and the cop (sorry I forgot names, it's been years), and the theme about the importance of memories. It's actually beautiful, life-affirming stuff that happens to be wrapped in a dark aesthetic, which seems truer to the spirit of classic goth artists than the nihilistic emo shit that passes for goth.

Of course, I suffered the hamplanet at my high school who showed up on Halloween wearing full Crow makeup, too-tight black jeans and top, and a crappy fake raven taped to her shoulder, but even seeing that haunting image couldn't ruin that movie for me. It legitimately holds up on its own artistic merits.

And Top Dollar is a top tier villain.

The Blade song from the RZA

Pretty sure this movie killed one of the actors' careers forever, so it can't be that good.

>Are they still trying to remake this? It seems like it has been in development hell for years.
I hope not. Nothing beyond the first movie and first comic have been even remotely good at all.

I'm always surprised Michael Wincott never really broke out in the 90's.

Eh. City of Angels and Salvation are watchable. Stairway to Heaven is pretty typical of a late 90's syndicated action show. Wicked Prayer, however, is totally irredeemable.

>He thinks we don't already have an influx of grimdark comic movies

Do you live under a rock, or...?

>missing the point entirely
>using the term grimdark
Fuck off newfag, people who were born post 90s need not apply

>When will the stigma against anything that's dark-
>The Dark Knight
>Watchmen
>Logan
>Captain America: The Winter Soldier
>Daredevil
>Jessica Jones
>Preacher
>Dredd

So you're just stupid

Holy shit are you Snyder fags pathetic. There's no "stigma against anything that's dark, or stylized in any way". Nolan's Batman trilogy, for example, was a mega critical and commercial success. The Dark Knight is widely hailed as one of the best, if not the best, cape film.

People reject shit movies. It just so happens that recently a lot of those shit movies tried and badly failed at being "dark or stylized".

Exactly. Hell, it's been a little more than 3 months since Logan came out, a dark stylized film that won universal acclaim.

This is just a troll still mad that BvS and Suicide Squad were such shit.

If you're an edgy, goth 15yr old, sure.

Pretty sure of you were 15 you would have never heard of The Crow, a good majority of the so called "adults" on this board know nothing of it and were too young to see it when it came out

>Why can't we have another movie like the Crow?

Because cast members dying on set is highly discouraged in the films industry. Surprising, I know.

I was about 16 when I first read it and watched the movie, actually.

Granted, I have no way of proving this and you have no reason to believe me, but yeah.

Why would I not believe you? The first time I saw The Crow I was about 12, and the first time I read the comic I was like 20 probably

It doesn't matter, the point is the whole "hurrr its for 16 year olds" argument is so dumb because I guarantee the majority of fans are much older, if you wanted to talk about what 16 year olds are into look at whatever movie is currently popular, not one from decades ago that is kept alive largely through nostalgia from older fans and with the occasional kid checking it out here and there

>opposed to being totally cookie cutter be gone?

Because studios are spending 100s of millions of dollars so they're going to test audience everything into the most bland mass appealing product they can to see a good return on their money.

Studios need to be fine with spending less on movies/games/etc and selling to their niches. Not everything needs to be AAA.

Man, what a great movie. Just hearing people talk about it makes me want to rewatch it.

It is great

Not true. It's legal if you crash a helicopter into two children and Vic Morrow but there's a catch to that loophole.