What are some good-great Marvel events and runs...

What are some good-great Marvel events and runs? I know my way through DC like the back of my hand but Marvel seems like more of a maze.

I've heard pic related is good, anything else I should add to a backlog?
In addition, does Sup Forums have reading recommendation graphs like /lit/ and /his/ does?

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/8fkkaahcpm3g4//Cosmic
comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=302840
comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=338482
comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=397680
comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=384858
comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=396740
twitter.com/AnonBabble

read from this to Thanos Imperative and then weep for what Cosmic Marvel once was

there's a good torrent out there somewhere

I've made a startling discovery recently.
When people talk about how good Annihilation is, they mostly think about about the main miniseries. The four prologue miniseries are kinda meh, for the most part.

Damn, Marvel fucked up that bad huh? I was also thinking of picking up the Guardians of the Galaxy classic omnibus for like 30 bucks along with Annihilation but Anni's omnibus is nearly $500

>$500
Makes me regret not picking it up. I had it pre-ordered too and I cancelled it.

And yeah, Marvel fucked it. I should storytime that issue of Guardians of the Galaxy where Bendis fucked the entire run up.

mediafire.com/folder/8fkkaahcpm3g4//Cosmic

I think Conquest is better desu. Except for Wraith, he sucks.

Seriously, fuck Wraith.

I dislike that character so much that I fucking dropped the GotG cartoon when he showed up.

good man user
conquest hits higher heights but something about original Annihilation is perfect, the initial interludes and space opera aspects are so well done.

>upgrade to mediafire pro to bulk download
This makes me madder than it should, thanks though user

Nova's parts are the best and I can see why he has such a rabid fanbase. The others are pretty meh, as you said. I don't remember why Super Skrull was even there.

It's not just how good he was back then that gets people riled up.
When he went out with Peter and Thanos, the three of them were supposed to stay dead. Then, the other 2 came with no explanation for years, and then he gets replaced.
The only reason he stayed dead was for his replacement. That's gonna piss a lot of people off.

>and then weep for what Cosmic Marvel once was

I do every day
>discovered Annihilation only a year or so before the GotG movie came out
>read through Thanos Imperative, Annihilation, Planet Hulk, Realm of Kings, anything I can get my hands
>think it's the best shit ever
>OH BOY THEY'RE COMING OUT WITH A GOTG MOVIE
>"dance off you and me"
>the guardians reboot comic
>tony stark in space
>rocket becoming a meme despite being in UMVC3 like 2 years ago
>mfw

I like conquest good enough. I just like the guardians backstory a lot. Same reason I read the original Star Lord comic

I honestly feel out of all the Cosmic stuff from that era, Nova was the strongest stuff, even moreso than the Guardians comic.

It's like DnA really knew where they wanted to take him (well except for the Sphinx arc, I would have rather had an arc about Rich dealing with Saal, I fucking hate that they never bothered with that cliffhanger especially since Saal had died and he wasn't Supernova anymore).

Bendis happened, every time he touches a new comic he hadn't touched before he changes it dramatically and for some dumb reason Marvel makes his shit the new canon.

Only Ewing has shown that he can work with the shit Bendis puts out and make something semi decent but there's only so much Ewing can do.

When Bendis happened, he gave Rich's death 0 meaning, which was bad enough.
Then Loeb came and made things worse.

Immortal Iron Fist is great. While I personally think theres a drop in quality when the Tournament Arc ends, everything before that is fantastic and really nails the pulpy vibe.

Didn't Loeb come before than Bendis?

I think Bendis came first, but I could be wrong.
They both happened very quickly from each other

I've been wanting to get into Iron Fist so this is good news to me
Anyone recommend the Matt Fraction Hawkeye?

I weep for the Cosmic fans that can't recognize good comics came before and after Annihilstion.

But at the same time you won't list any recommendations.

List recs instead of whinning, faggot.

>I should storytime that issue of Guardians of the Galaxy where Bendis fucked the entire run up.
The storytime threads when that issue first dropped were glorious.

Watchu want senpai, Pre-Annihilation or post-Thanos Imperative?

Annihilation is pretty much the pinnacle, but everything Cosmic-Marvel coming afterwards (Annihilation: Conquest, the stuff between, then War of Kings and Realm of Kings) are fine too. Just make sure to stop when Abnett and Lanning leave.
Just go by what's in these:
comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=302840
comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=338482
comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=397680
comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=384858
comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=396740

that's literally all you need, most other Marvel events are maximum-sales-pitch-garbage.

Or well, yeah, just go by these:
But I think it's missing a few of the build-up issues from the Prelude to War of Kings Omni.

I was reading through it right now in preparation of reading all the other omnis, why the fuck is the Annihilation Omni OOP?? Super-Skrull and Nova are pretty great. Ronan is mediocre, Silver Surfer is meh, but I found this gem: Also Planet Hulk is all right, but ignore World War Hulk, it's fucking horrible again.

>post
definitely
>after
not any Marvel stuff, no.

Guardians 3000 is woefully underrated and fairly recent.

wasn't aware Abnett was writing Guardians again, may have to take a look

Goddamn, thank you for such a long post dude, always nice to get fleshed out opinions like this

It was a very short lived series.
He's DC exclusive now too

It only ran for eight issues because hardly anyone read it and even fewer people bought it. I don't remember Marvel marketing it at all, even though it was coming out right around the same time as the GotG movie.

See attached.

One of the first things decimated by the Annihilation Wave is Skrull space. So Kl'rt gets focus as an old warhorse that has never succeeded for the empire, but now has a shot at real glory. He has a sad life and the series really endeared him to me. He's like the Daffy Duck of cosmic Marvel.

>before
Different user, here. I love giffen/DNA but there is some Good stuff from the 60's on.
The two original series that had cosmic stuff in them to a real degree would the FF and Thor. The FF first visit the Blue Area of the moon and interact with the Watcher in issue 13. The series has cosmic shit on and off forever after.
Read FF 1-102 if you haven't already. It's got lots of cosmic, and is the foundation of the whole Marvel Universe.
First appearances in this run are too many to mention but Blastarr, Galactus, Silver Surfer, Annihilus, skrulls, inhumans, kree sentinels and so on...
Thor 131-132 introduces Ego, he shows again in 160-161 for a badass story involving Galactus, but thor is also full of cosmic shit during the Kirby era.

Claremont/Cockrum/Byrne Uncanny X-Men has plenty of cool space action.
The imperial guard make their first apperence in Uncanny X-Men 107.
The Brood saga is also in uncanny, and is great
Starlin's Warlock is good as is his Captain Matvel and later Silver Surfer/Thanos Quest/Infinity Gauntlet.
That's off the top of my head, I'm sure I'm forgetting a ton of shit.

Wait, is Wraith a generally hated character? It's been like 6 years or so since I read the Annihilation stuff now, but I remember really loving him and his mini. Should I read it again? Did I just like him because I was a filthy casual and he seemed badass?

i liked most of the minis except super skrulls.

>Did I just like him because I was a filthy casual and he seemed badass?
Probably.

He's terrible.

to me, he just doesn't fit into the setting.

The old What if comics from Marvel were great in general. What if Punisher had the Venom suit. What if there was no F4 to stop Galactus. What if Spidergirl.

Later ones weren't bad either. The CW/Annihilation What if is still a cool little nugget that lamp shaded how stupid CW was.

>FF 1-102
don't forget the annuals 01-10.

Great Marvel Runs:

Fantastic Four by Lee Kirby
Fantastic Four by Byrne
Anything Marvel by Hickman
Hulk by David
Silver Surfer by Lee and Buscema
Silver Surfer by Engalhart
X-Men by Chris Claremont (especially with Byrne)
Nick Fury Agent of SHIELD by Steranko
Daredevil by Miller
Daredevil by Bendis
Daredevil by Brubaker
Captain America by Brubaker
Spider-Man by Lee
Ultimate Spider-Man by Bendis
Ultimates 1 & 2 by Millar and Hitch
Conan by Thomas
Howard the Duck by Gerber
New X-Men by Morrison
Uncanny X-Force by Remender

There are plenty other great runs, but those are the first that comes to mind with Marvel.

Yeah and it was actually pretty good and there's a Nova and a Star-Lord in it who are connected to Rich and Peter.

He also did Guardians of Infinity afterwards but it didn't sell either and it got bogged down but shitty side stories (like Groot going to Puerto Rico) by shitty writers .

Alex Ross did covers for it and that's about it but that was mostly because Ross asked to do them since he loves the original Guardians.

Most likely you were younger and liked it

But he's a pretty one note edgy character.

>why the fuck is the Annihilation Omni OOP??

Marvel is very shit with trades and repriting comics, which is why if they get out an omni that you like you should just fricking by it the moment is out because it won't be back for a long ass time.

The Annihilation omnibus sold out because now that GotG is popular everyone got more interested in cosmic and Annihilation is the event that gets thrown as being one of the best Marvel events so everyone and their mother went and got it when the omnibus was out including the scalpers.

Annihilation Conquest is still on sale and not as popular, ditto with the GotG omnibus (which actually dropped on its price).

I would fucking love a DnA Nova omnibus but unless there's a movie I don't see Marvel doing it.

Good but it dragged on due to delays.
I only recommend the original run.

For background I will go out of a limb and recommend Marvels project and Marvels.

>I would fucking love a DnA Nova omnibus but unless there's a movie I don't see Marvel doing it.
Well, everyone else in MvCI is clearly there because they'll be in a movie within the next year. So, he might have something on the horizon.

I hope that is the case, being in a movie would do a lot of good (and most likely bad but no worse than where he was a few years ago) for Rich.

>Nova
The entire run is spread across the conquest the kings omnis. Same with dna GOtG

Goddamn thanks for the recs, this'll keep me busy for a long time
Ah, okay
My sister bought the first volume for me and I thought it was decent but wondered how it got over time, I still might buy it either way

Marvel's way of pushing a character is more often a hindrance to them, but, like you said, I don't think they can top how they treated him for so long.

>Anything Marvel by Hickman
Jesus. This thread just lost all credibility. His Avengers run was worse than Bendis.

I like Lemire's Thanos.

Secret Wars sucked, but I liked most of what came before. Parts like Black Panther's betrayal and the way Thor and Hyperion went out were so fucking good.

I always recommend Pak's Planet Hulk, Marvel had no idea what an amazing idea they had sitting on their laps and should've kept Hulk a Gladiator King in space.

Sam Alexander came well before Original Sin.
He got better once Loeb left after the first bit

Bendis brought Thanos and Star-Lord back in 2012.

But we didn't know what happened to Rich until Original Sin.
I still subscribe to the theory that Modern Star-lord is an alien worm piloting the corpse of Quill.
That is, until Duggan continues fixing him.
Zdarsky's mini did well in advancing that.

Rich's death was already pointless for years before Original Sin happened, though.
Back in 2012, there was no reason for him to stay dead

>good-great Marvel runs

Frank Miller's Daredevil
Frank Miller's Elektra (consisting of a miniseries and a graphic novel)
Garth Ennis' Punisher
Chuck Dixon's Punisher
Mike Baron's Punisher
Steven Grant's Punisher
Peter David's Hulk
Greg Pak's Hulk
Lee/Ditko's Spider-Man
Roger Stern's Spider-Man
actually pretty much all of Spider-Man from the 60s through the 80s
Lee/Kirby's Fantastic Four
John Byrne's Fantastic Four
Walt Simonson's Fantastic Four
Mark Waid's Fantastic Four
Jonathan Hickman's Fantastic Four
Walt Simonson's Thor
Jim Steranko's Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Steve Gerber's Man-Thing
Steve Gerber's Howard the Duck
Steve Gerber's Foolkiller
Doug Moench's Moon Knight (ESPECIALLY the issues drawn by Bill Sienkiewicz)
Doug Moench's The Hands of Shang-Chi, Master of Kung Fu
Warren Ellis' Nextwave
Chris Claremont's X-Men
Chris Claremont's Wolverine
Barry Windsor-Smith's Weapon X (just one story arc, but a must read)
Silver Surfer Requiem (just one story arc, but a must read)
Marvels (just one story arc, but a must read)