What do you guys think of Joss Whedon and his contributions to Sup Forums media?

What do you guys think of Joss Whedon and his contributions to Sup Forums media?

Went from an unsung positive influence to a cancer faster than I thought possible.

Also I liked Avengers 1, but it murdered any chance of a good MCU.

The Avengers was tedious, but it was less tedious than BvS so I guess the JL switch ends up as a positive. Haven't seen Avengers 2.

He just wanted to belong

Did absolutely nothing fucking wrong in regards to Black Widow.

best Justice League movie ever

Search Joss Whedon on tumblr and every post is either shitting on him or Buffy/Firefly.

Holy shit, really? Has the collective nerdboner for Firefly finally diminished?

His influence and that of his work is one of the worst things to happen in pop-culture.

The best to every do it.

It's died down a lot and boils down to "Hey, remember Firefly?" nowadays.

nah, it's a meme that SJWs have taken too far. The right wing just retweet it.

His X-men run was alright, better than the shitpile that is Ultimate X-men.

Thank fucking christ, I loathed the Whedon circlejerk that consisted of "BUFFY WAS AMAZING! FIREFLY NEEDS TO COME BACK! JOSS WHEDON IS GOD! BUFFY WAS AMAZING! FIREFLY NEEDS TO COME BACK! JOSS WHEDON IS GOD!"

I hate the man himself as well but that's neither here nor there.

I loved Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Avengers. Didn't like AoU. Liked X-Men and Fray. His twitter persona is fucking terrible though.

That's weird to me. I remember when everyone would talk about Buffy and Firefly like they were the best shows of all time.

Personally, I never cared for Buffy, and when I finally watched Firefly I was underwhelmed (minus Fillion, who was great). I liked Angel better than those two.

Does any have that picture of him wearing a fedora and looking like a numale under a Marvel logo and then him looking very macho under a DC logo?

His X-men run was better than Morrisons (fight me) and an EASY fuck off to any Morrisonfags who say X-books haven't had anything good since Morrison

>Kyle&Yost
>Spurrier
>Whedon
>Ellis

And there were many other minis that were good like District X.

Loved Buffy, Angel, and Firefly back in high school, thought Avengers 1 was all right but thought Age of Ultron was dumb, and I really liked Astonishing X-Men but thought his Runaways was shit. So I used to really like him, but his recent stuff along with his shit on Twitter hasn't endeared me lately.

> His X-men run was better than Morrisons (fight me)

Less flawed (there were no awful moments, like Morrisons last arcs), but it was also less interesting and less impactful.

I didn't read Whedon's X-Men, but Morrison's run was over bloated garbage that had no idea what to do. Basically all of his works sans Doom Patrol and Animal Man.

>but it was also less interesting and less impactful.
I will grant you that. It played to the safe places. But at the time, I think that's what the X-men needed and on going back and reading it, it holds up as a very great X-men story. Especially the space stuff (but IMO all the best X-men stories are space stories).

Morrison had some cool ideas and some of them were great, but it was screwed up by a lot of his own writing problems of wanting to make everything unique (which is great in his creator owned stuff). Also the art sucks. You can't defend that fucking terrible art

I've yet to encounter anything by Whedon that I've liked, in any form of media.

Finally glad that I'm not alone in this.

I think it's hilarious how he keeps trying to suck up to the feminists only to have them shit on him even more. Like holy shit how much of a pathetic beta do you have to be before you wise up?

I lurk Neogaf and there is a thread right now titled something like "You wont believe how incredibly sexist Whedon's Wonder Woman script is"
didnt read it, but makes me wonder why he tried to befriend so hard a group of people that ended up hating him intensely.

>You can't defend that fucking terrible art
I'll defend Quitely to the death, but fuck everyone else except Silvestri in the last arc.

It's a shame because Igor Kordey is a good artist, but he was doing quick fill in work and even he will say it looks like shit. I think he drew one issue in just a weekend

but Morrison's last arc was the best one and this are the best X-Men

>didnt read it
Me neither, but from what I've heard it's kinda over the top

Kordey is great and I'm guessing this is him. Quitely can be good in certain things. Like Millar's Jupitar stuff. But his X-men run was fucking terrible. I'm sure he has a lot more indi books that are great but I am not a fan, his faces really turn me away

>but makes me wonder why he tried to befriend so hard a group of people that ended up hating him intensely.
He thought he had a stable in with the feminists thanks to his Buffy days. He was "the guy who had strong female characters and lesbians in his show", so he thought he was fuckin' untouchable and that he'd have the feminists on his side from the get go. Then, when he gained the praise from nerds as a whole with Firefly, he naturally assumed he could be a paragon for both groups, and so thought he could be the poster boy for the "new" nerd (i.e. the ones who were hip and cool and loved women's rights).

The fact that his reputation is slowly but surely crumbling around him is just beautiful. With any luck, his career will follow suit, and he'll get to die alone with his head hung in shame for years of shitty fuckin' hubris.

No that's Marc Silvestri, Kordey drew the Shi'ar and Fantomex stuff.

He's a decent enough writer. He can be funny at times, but when he tries to be funny and fails it's embarrassing to witness. Even though The Avengers had terrible visuals, the writing was pretty good. For such a big ensemble piece, every character had some good scenes to establish their personality and motivations, and the movie still had room for the big dumb blockbuster battle. It had a lot of characters vying for the spotlight, but it never became muddled, and the story was simple enough and well executed. Pulling all that off is no simple thing.

Yeah, as a person he's probably pretty annoying, but he's pretty good at his job.

>Silvestri
underrated artist on Sup Forums the guy is amazing but got fucked over by the McFarllands and Leifields. He was and still is a great artist

>underrated artist on Sup Forums
Agreed.

His Bill & Us Agent in pic related are fantastic.

Exactly, he did 90s edge WELL and grew out of it. his later stuff in The Darkness is even better. But this shit is great, he drew power

Whatever u think of him, he left a huge mark. This being said, i still think he is a hack and a numale shit.

this was his best page of that run imo

I have always wanted for Ernst to become/evolve into heroic-Cassandra Nova because of this run

Who is that chick with lightning?

> Travis Charest >>> Silvestri > Turner > 2004-06 Finch > Mcfarlane > modern Finch (pic related) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Liefeld

"Went from an unsung positive influence to a cancer faster than I thought possible."
Well put

You shut the fuck up about All-Star Superman.

This a beautiful explanation of his rise and fall, brought down by his own hubris and arrogance like the Greek legends of old

>switches to DC
>immediately narrative shifts from "shallow and boring yes man" to "outrageously sexist control freak"

Fuck y'all, Buffy is great.

In my experience most male feminists are incredibly self loathing nu-males or near /r9k/ level misogynist justifying it with feminism or sometimes both

>With any luck, his career will follow suit, and he'll get to die alone with his head hung in shame for years of shitty fuckin' hubris.

Holy shit man, get a life, its just a movie, or a person with different political views. You wouldnt like if the other side said anything like this.

Remember that time they turned magic into literal fucking drugs, complete with magic crack dens?

I'm more annoyed at the industry to try to copy him after Avengers 1. Which despite being a decent movie, really isn't that memorable. His personal attitude on twitter is insufferable, he is very ignorant and rather a dumb individual.

Personally supporting Hilary Clinton, someone who would just continue the war crimes that the U.S. has committed since the Bush era is something that I will personally hold against him for ever.

His relenting partisanship is also very annoying.
People really hype him up to something he's not. Sure he did something nobody else did, combine a movie universe, but is he better then say, James Gunn? Nope. And I do not consider a James Gunn a amazing director, he's above average.

A lot of the male feminists who were anti-GG recently turned out to be rapists and got arrested.

They were projecting so hard, it's like that whole stereotype of priests being child molesters again but on the other side.

his script was the worst thing about Alien 4 but he blames the actors and the director

He's the reason TV Tropes is the most insufferable website on Earth.

this

He's good. Just he has to deal with SJWs hating him over nothing and the alt-Reich hating him over being liberal. Sucks, but he's a solid writer.

still better than covenant

Covenant was excellent though.

>not posting the image

I think the reason behind this is that these harassers wanted to cover their tracks by virtue signalling (as in "showing support for something you don't actually believe in because it makes you look good", not "having a goody-two shoes opinion"). The easy distractibility of the internet, especially keyboard warriors of political factions, makes it less likely that actual assholes get their just desserts or actual problems get called out.

I never got the love for Buffy. It just wasn't good in my opinion. And I pretty much avoided Firefly on principle. Seeing all the nerds jerk off to it over the years just made me not even want to bother.

Maybe I'm actually missing out on something great. But I just don't care.

>He was "the guy who had strong female characters and lesbians in his show"

The hilarious part is Xena did it before Buffy did, and did it much better.

Standards were much lower for television then, especially in that genre of nerdy supernatural type stuff. That being said, I too never got much into it, characters all sounded the same and trying too hard to be "cool".

They were, I agree. You had stuff that was truly great sometimes, but it was much more rare than now.

I guess I was always much more of a Xena type of gal than a Buffy type anyway.

>but he's a solid writer

he's a hack.

I gave it a fair shake, and I can confidentially say firefly is absolutely nothing special. it's very cheap looking and has a bloated cast of uninteresting quipping retards.
the entire premise is fucked IMO. the degree to which it is placed on a pedestal has eternally baffled me.

it's pretty bad. wonderwoman gets thrown around, takes punches and doesn't fight back, and generally does dumb bullshit for steve.

It obbiosuly wasn't self referential enough

Didn't Firefly have a cast of only 9 people?

His weakest modern work was Avengers 2, and even then I'm sure it was more because of Marvel meddling than Joss fault.

His comics are solid, his TV shows are good.

You may say whatever about his political views or SJW "activism", but when it comes to the man's work it is usually pretty high quality.

that's the ugliest art i've ever seen tbqhwyf

isnt he a popular and critically acclaimed director?

It's a 15 year old show with 14 episodes. Im not a fan of his marvel work but I'd be lying if I said I didn't appreciate him pre dollhouse. I hope he pulls off batgirl.
> the degree to which it is placed on a pedestal has eternally baffled me.

Someone doesn't remember how bad the early 2000's were for broadcast sci-fi

He's a nerd who's embarrassed about nerd stuff. "lol i'm going to reference nerd stuff but sneer at it at the same time" might have been acceptable a decade ago but we're two Rocket Raccoon movies past that.

>eternally baffled me

Yeah I guess it would feel like an eternity if you were 14

No, Whedon's DESPISED on tumblr. There's a lot of shit going around about his awful Wonder Woman script right now on tumblr.

I liked his X-Men run. I liked Avengers and Avengers 2, but I know the Coen Brothers are just BETTER in every possible way as directors. So I appreciate his contribution, but am glad they're moving on from him.

On a personal level, of course I think he's an asshole, but his work mostly holds up well.

I guess he could write a good Spider-Man, under HEAVY editor work to stop him from killing supporting cast or derailing it into some female OC fest. His X-Men run wasn't really good, but at least it addressed some of the problems morrison created and brought Piotr back. The Avengers movies were OK-ish I guess, definitely could be better, easily. The first couple seasons of Buffy and Angel were good fun, and so was the original Buffy movie.

As for DC, the fact he said good things about Identity Crisis should be enough to keep him the fuck away from doing anything for them.

>What do you guys think of Joss Whedon and his contributions to Sup Forums media?
He is literally SJW

It's true dude, I just checked, and in addition to the fact that almost no one talks about him, the posts that do exist are just shitting on his leaked Wonder Woman script in comparison the the movie we ended up getting.

His Astonishing X-Men run was fine.

>Someone doesn't remember how bad the early 2000's were for broadcast sci-fi

Yeah, I remember watching all of Farscape. Not sure I could make it all the way through now.

Firefly was like a bargain-basement Han Solo show. It wasn't great, but it was fun and it wasn't like there much else going at the time. I still have the DVD set, and the Serenity DVD too. Haven't watched them in a decade.

>Someone doesn't remember how bad the early 2000's were for broadcast sci-fi
I'm a Stargate fan. Early 2000s were my personal golden age.

I completely understand the criticisms of his work, and of his behaviour as a person even more so, but I can't hate him because Avengers 2 saved these characters from years of Marvel's sustained efforts to destroy them, and he probably had to fight the "Marvel Brain Trust" to make it happen.

His rejected Wonder Woman script is abhorrently bad. It actually defies belief how bad it is.

How bad is it really?

he seems to have this bendis behavior of thinking he's a godsend to a minority who needs him to represent them in mainstream media.

He was so convinced to be one of the "good ones" that he didn't see it coming when they turned on him.

It's better if you see for yourself. This is from a part where they're at a nightclub an Diana is trying to get a villain's attention.

his work on the MCU was subpar but his work on the X-Men comics was good

Kek, sounds like a fucking Stoner comedy.

>she is barefoot

Kek, I feel you bro.

Fucking foot fetishists should be banned from inserting blatant shots of their actress's feet into their films. It just comes across as damn creepy

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE