Why does Marvel intentionally sabotage themselves?

Why does Marvel intentionally sabotage themselves?
They have the ability to make good movies, but they CHOOSE to ruin them with
>WE'RE FRIENDS FROM WORK !!!1111!1!!!!11

Why?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/CYUfPTeE0DM?t=59
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

$$$

>American Gladiators 2017

"Comedy" is easy to write.

Still a better line than "Martha!"

Is it though?
The argument that Martha is bad is that it's tension deflating, right?
Well, that's my problem with the excessive unfunny jokes in the MCU. They deflate tension.

it's better than "Do you bleed?"

You'd have to have tension to be able to deflate it.

It's gonna be fine. They're letting Chris Hemsworth flex his comedy muscles, and they're going to still do lots of action.

It's almost like... it's a comic book!

I don't see the issue with this line at all.
Batman is asking an alien if he can be wounded like a human.

Nice tears, bro.

Filtered.

What else were you expecting him to say?

I dunno, I thought that bit in the trailer was great, the crowd goes wild as hulk makes the scene, Grandmaster and Loki both have this shut eating grin like they're about to watch Thor shit himself as the sight of a jade giant. Instead he happily yells with a big smile on his face, whole crowd goes deathly silent, even Grandmaster looks taken aback. Thor then explains they know each other.

I liked it.

"SAVE...MARTHA"

I am starting to believe that the taste of the avarage Sup Forums user is worse than the avarage normalfag.

Still a better scene that Lex urinating in someone's cup and passing it off as tea and having them drink it.

>The argument that Martha is bad is that it's tension deflating, right?
It's tension deflating because it's an incredibly stupid idea exectuted terribly, and unintentionally hilarious. At least the jokes in MCU movies are intentional.

Also I've only seen one movie of Waititi's but he seems to be pretty good at having dramatic moments hit despite his movies having comedic moments.

It's a movie based on a comic book. Have you read comic books? There are quips and moments of levity all the time. And fuck even with all the jokes critics and audiences still prefer the MCU. Must really piss you off, user.

I think something less obnoxious like him staying nervous but trying to make Hulk remember him.
Making him say that stupid line just ruins any dynamic like that, since he forgot to be afraid just to make a quip.

>tears

Of laughter user.

>"MARTHAAAA"

Lmao

>it's a comic book
I don't think it is though.
Most cape comics (especially THOR) are closer in tone to Wonder Woman than they are Gunn's Guardians.

>Making him say that stupid line just ruins any dynamic like

The hell are you talking about? Any reactions and friends, and general mood online seem to have loved that. Are you that lone bitter fag in the classroom who cries when everybody is having a good time?

see

i dont remember this season of american gladiators

?
I'm not voicing a consensus opinion, i'm voicing my opinion.

>it's an incredibly stupid idea
Batman seeing Superman as human for the first time?

But he's not fucking nervous. He sees someone he was on a superhero team with for over a year. It'd be like if you were captured and pitted in gladiatorial death matches then your final opponent turned out to be one of your friends from college.

Don't even try. I don't understand why the Martha scene was ridiculed. Still.
Most explanations seem to be along the lines of it somehow being funny?

The dude is stranded and trapped on an unknown planet. He finally sees his friend who is literally acting no different from before(Hulk is angry and smashing).

Why the fuck would he be nervous at all?

No, user. Even then WW and Marvel comics in general have moments of comedy and levity. Thor definitely does.

>But he's not fucking nervous.
But Hulk clearly doesn't recognize Thor.

Partially maybe. To me it was dumb because Martha was supposed to be the common ground that brings Batman and Superman together as a team. Snyder apparently didn't think they would naturally get along when they both try to save the city from Doomsday. So instead we get these shoehorned flashbacks clusterfucking the film to justify the Martha line. And it just doesn't come off as clever as Snyder imagined

>Batman seeing Superman as human for the first time?
Even if you reason it like that, yes.

Yes, moments of levity *when appropriate*. They would not choose to deflate a potential dramatic moment. They would save jokes for places like Diana's fish out of water scenes.

It's like if Diana called Ludendorff a silly name just for big laffs.

>bitching about nothing
That scene was fine.

It was ridiculed because like the rest of the movie of it was dumb superficial shit that Snyder and Snyderfags tried to play off as 2deep4u.

>Why the fuck would he be nervous at all?
see

No, that is not the argument against it. the argument against it is that it makes no sense on multiple levels, and is impossible to take seriously in the moment, it is immersion-breakingly clumsy and stupid.

I don't know guys. I just thought it was an effective scene.
I think i'm the real winner here, since I have a piece of media to enjoy that you choose not to.

see

I disagree.

that line from the trailer doesn't bother me but his crappy mace and helmet does. Is the helmet made of syrofrom? and I swear that mace is just a metal pipe and metal bits tied on with metal wire,JUST

1. It's true
2. It's funny

Thor clearly doesn't realize that at first.
They're different situations. The tonal shift is unexpected and therefore comedic but also sells the fact that Thor has been trapped in a strange planet and now finally sees a friend. It's desperation.

I enjoyed BvS tremendously. It was hilarious.

>sabotage
How many hugely successful blockbusters has Marvel had now? In a row? I have honestly lost count.

>Thor clearly doesn't realize that at first.
Only because they decided to throw in a quip.
The scene has more potential as a dramatic one.

No, it's supposed to be the moment Batman realizes Superman values a single human life more than his own, that he's not an unfeeling alien.

That seems like a soul poisoning mindset honestly.

>choose
Having good taste and recognizing bad filmmaking isn't a choice.

But, it is. It's only subjectively bad.
See how this works?

Clearly? Watch the trailer again. Hulk busts out doing his usual thing and Thor is happy. Then when Thor realizes Hulk wants to fight he changes his tune.

user it's the most viewed trailer in YouTube history and the joke was the big moment of the trailer everyone talked about. You are wrong. It's effective.

>Hulk busts out doing his usual thing
...at Thor.
Hulk has eyes you retard.

>You are wrong.
I don't think being in the minority=objectively wrong.
At most, i'm out of touch with the current zeitgeist.

You're literally retarded if you think this. Scene wouldn't have been in the movie if Batman and Superman didn't both have moms named Martha.

>Comic book movie has comedy just like the comic book
>THIS COMPLETELY RUINS THE COMIC BOOK MOVIE

Oh good, it's this thread again.

I genuinely think people underestimate the prevalence of a new phenomenon, called 'banter', and how it affects society. People aren't always going to act rationally, except not Thor. Besides, if he starts panicking now, it'd completely remove tension from an actual situation where he has to panic.

Let's be honest, if you were trapped as a slave in a gladitorial arena, you'd be pretty fucking pleased if a) your friend is your opponent, b) you have no reason to believe your friend would actually beat you up and c) your friend can probably bust you out there, and roflstomp all opposition on the way.

What? Laughter is pretty good. I'm not going to be miserable watching an unintentionally silly movie, I enjoy silly things.

>>Comic book movie has comedy just like the comic book
see

>an unintentionally silly movie
This is the part that makes me think you are ill.
I enjoy the movie on the level that it was created to be enjoyed at.
The fact that you can only enjoy it by imagining yourself better than it is disturbing.

Not exactly, they're just terrible in different ways.

Yeah they really blew their "For your consideration"...moment for the Oscars there by not making it dramatic.

The scene was cut for a trailer. The actual context and comedic timing aren't going to be the same in the film.

Shit, Guardians had entire scenes in the trailers that weren't in the film at all.

Because it's directed by someone who makes comedy moves.

?
I think drama stays with a person longer than a situational joke.

No, it's pretty objective. It was panned by critics and fans alike. Only people who like the idea of Superman and Batman liked it, and even then it didn't get it right, people have to say "Superman is hopeful in the comics" to justify his brooding in the movie.

>He doesn't understand the Hulk

Good lord you're a fucking casual.

>laughing at dumb movies is ill and disturbing

I really liked that joke. I like innocent optimism.

>No, it's pretty objective.
this isn't supported by this-
>It was panned by critics and fans alike
1/4 of critics didn't pan it, and the audience score is at 63%.

Care to try again?

>at dumb movies
This is your issue.

You say innocent optimism, I say company trying to make a profit.

People expect at least one humorous quip every 10 minutes.

Trying to go with personal attacks and accusations of fucking mental illness doesn't make your "wow you haave to think you're better than others huh?" point strong.

>see post which points out the comic book movie, based on a comic book is in fact NOT, because some arcs of Thor are slightly darker

And some arcs are stupidly cheesy. Have you not seen that one spiderman comic, where communist hydra gets formed, with their own versions of the Avengers? Thor and fake Thor's actions can safely be described as non-serious.

Besides, the series has gone cosmic, putting it closer in tone to Guardians, and if you don't have equal amounts of humor (dark or otherwise) for your cynicism in a movie, it's not cynicism at all, it's just depression.

>This is your issue.
It's the movie's issue user.

Doesn't it?
At least you're admitting that both my and his lines of logic are pretentious (since they are both about supremacy to something someone else takes at face value. In his case BvS, in mine, his attitude.)

And yet again, suddenly a single site matters more than the collective. Even if it did, 64% isn't good and like you said, the majority of critics on the site say its not good. It's less opinion and more Snyder being a bad film maker.
I really don't need to defend myself, you did a good job doing it for me.

>Thor actually talked like you would kind of expect a God to speak
>now he's basically a Guardians of the Galaxy extra

Why. Not every character has to be a light heartened joke machine.

I disagree.

He smashed through a fucking door. Hulk didn't realize who he was about to fight any more than Thor did.

>it's less opinion and more Snyder being a bad film maker.
>I really don't need to defend myself, you did a good job doing it for me.

But I just proved that that opinion isn't shared by everyone, even all reviewers.

This is not a hard concept to grasp, user.

>They have the ability to make good movies
do they? i've yet to see any evidence of that

Guess you didn't see the shorts.

this
Iron Man 1 is the only good MCU movie so far, but that proves that they can.

But when the majority of critics agree it's a bad movie it's not a matter of opinion whether or not the movie was good or not. It's an objective fact that more people think it's a bad movie.

Not really hence why some of the most memorable lines in pop culture are from comedies than drama

not in the context of a teaser for a superhero movie, i think

>But when the majority of critics agree it's a bad movie it's not a matter of opinion whether or not the movie was good or not.
This doesn't make sense.
It clearly is a matter of opinion, or 27% percent of critics wouldn't have different one.

>Most cape comics (especially THOR) are closer in tone to Wonder Woman than they are Gunn's Guardians.

>I am your father

>Well, nobody's perfect

Are you done?

I thought it was funny.

>>Well, nobody's perfect
I honestly don't know where that's from, so no.
i'll raise you

>KHHHAAAAANNNNNN

>Look's like we're not in Kansas anymore
>D'oh
>Don't cross the streams!
>What's Up Doc?

I can do this all day

>I honestly don't know where that's from
Then thatr's your problem also
>quoting Star Trek of all things

Yeah because that's something that's well-known among people on the streets let alone a movie that's not nearly as celebrated or popular outside the fanbase.

Seriously guys? Are you really this easy to bait?

>I honestly don't know where that's from,
>Doesn't know where the most famous and quotable final line in a movie comes from
youtu.be/CYUfPTeE0DM?t=59
millennial detected

Martha is bad because it confused normies. "Wait they're brothers?!" Then they backtracked into "n-no I got it, it was just bad! That's why I didn't like it!"

Nah, you're just an asshole.