S2 > S1 > S3

S2 > S1 > S3.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/user/MatthiasOfRedwall/videos
store.steampowered.com/app/417290/Ghost_of_a_Tale/
redwall.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Snakes
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Were any of the other books good to adapt or should they have ended the show there?

WHY DID NO ONE TELL ME THERE WAS A REDWALL CARTOON

I'd have assumed had it got another season they'd have done the second book, which would continue Martin's story from season 3/book 6. (The books went all over the place chronologically).

youtube.com/user/MatthiasOfRedwall/videos

This channel has all the episodes, if you're interested.

Did you live under a rock when you were younger? It was on Teletoon every day.

This show was so comfy. I loved listening to Jaques talk about his inspirations for RW after every episode.

>That time when one of the inheritors of martin's sword went on a grand crusade to retake the holy lands from the occupying weasels in the name of mouse God
Man this show was pretty brutal

>hating on Martin the Warrior
>hating on the love story between Martin and Rose
Motherfucker you have no goddamn taste

I didn't get it on tv until mid-2001 (no cable, not a canada-fag)...and wusf channel 16 only showed season 1 and 2, back to back, like...twice, before no longer airing Redwall. I didn't know of a third season until they started releasing dvds. Did season 3 still have Brian talking about lore, craft, and herbs after every episode?

Did you not watch your local PBS channel Saturday or Sunday mornings? You missed a LOT.

for me its s3 > s1 > s2

I prefer season 2 first...but season 1 has more of Constance with those rocking boobs of hers.

Constance is the best character on the show since she's the only one who actually tries to DO anything regarding the threat of Cluny.

badgers in general are just the best redwall characters

a show about a bunch of faggot mice running around stabbing each other to death

actually faggot mice don't really stab each other that frequently, they're generally stabbing faggot rats/weasels/vermin etc.

and the show is mostly about puzzles and food

BECAUSE THE BOOKS WERE BETTER

Ooey, someone had cable

Who represent Lord Brocktree here?

Thats not Rose eyes

>Killed by a mangy arrow
>Best badger
pick one

>Mathias finally gets the legendary sword of Martin the warrior
>Proceeds to only use the pommel to knock out rats in the show
God I wish they didn't censor so much cool shit

Best thing about Redwall?
The author hated gray-and-gray morality. He loved to make one race entirely evil and another race entirely good.

We need more people like him today.

I shipped her and Basil

Everything I've seen of this cartoon makes it seem... inadequate, somehow. When I was a kid Redwall fired my imagination from the vastness and grandeur of its characters and settings. The warrior-mice, the badger lords, the hares of the Long Patrol, splayed across the infinite terrain of the abbey itself, the great marches, Mossflower wood, and the huge old mountain of Salamandastron... the cartoon just doesn't seem like it was grand enough.

I know what you mean.
Like how the hell would the cartoon ever do Loamhedge and its backstory justice?

>no redwall breath of the wild

guess ill die

there is that new mouse game that was shown at E3, but it's a playstationVR game

Its like Dark Souls with rats

wait

>Season 1
>Dumbass mice monks let Cluny and his goons into the Abbey when they first arrive because "muh hospitality"
>They almost fuck shit up before they get BTFO by Constance
>Season 2
>Mattias lets an entire horde of vermin into the Abbey because they are dressed up like clowns.

These guys were dumb ass fuck.

The Boondocks

There was that good rat in the bellmaker book though. There was also that one race that was kinda all over the place on the moral scale buti can't remember what they were called.

store.steampowered.com/app/417290/Ghost_of_a_Tale/

guys

Log a log and his shrews?

Nope I looked it up. It was the Voles.

Shit man this brings me back, but I barely remember anything at this point. I gotta re-read the series. How many books are there and are any of them shit?

>tfw no redwall star wars

I fucking loved this, but why do these fucks keep yelling before they're about to ambush someone

They never get shit, just repetitive. I think they lose their flair around the last 6 books or so, before he died.

That's not Sunflash the Mace

Shit I saw this trailer way back but I never got the name. Thanks user

Where is human?

You thinking of the Weasel or stoat in Outcast of Redwall? If I remember right he struggled with his natural vermin evilness, but in the end decided to be good by heroic self sacrifice.

>Everyone lives in the same country as me

There were three (possibly four) examples of vermin being good in the books.

Outcast of Redwall had Veil, the stoat who was raised at the Abbey. He tried to poison one of the Abbey mice and was exiled, and after a long journey of doing I don't even remember fucking what, he ended up sacrificing his life to save his adoptive mother (who had come out looking for him). Of course, after said sacrifice the mother admitted he was always evil and she shouldn't have bothered, so the moral of the story was kind of fucked up

Then there was the rat Blaggut from The Bellmaker, who was taken in to the Abbey along with his actually evil captain Slipp after their ship was stolen by the heroes. They plotted to steal some shit in the Abbey, but Blaggut befriended a couple Dibbuns and found out he really liked making boats so he started to turn to the good side. After Slipp killed the badger caretaker of the Abbey and forced Blaggut to escape with him, Blaggut ended up killing Slipp for fucking up the best thing that ever happened to him (and for years of abuse). It was fucking awesome.

In Pearls of Lutra, the Abbot is kidnapped by some corsairs for reasons I don't remember (I think they thought he could be used as a bargaining chip for the titular Pearls of Lutra, but I'm not sure), and he meets Romsca, the ferret captain of the ship taking the Abbot to their home island. After talking to the Abbot a bunch and being treated with absolute kindness, Romsca decides "fuck this" to the kidnapping plot and tries to turn around, but ends up getting killed by the other ships who are more loyal to their lord who lived on the island.

And there's also the entire vermin army in Marlfox, who hated their leaders so fucking much that when they all died the army threw down their weapons and immediately retreated to a remote area to be farmers.

I wish this series would get a reboot.

>Thread about a relatively obscure cartoon
>No mega link
>MFW

I would have gotten into the books but I knew I'd root for the predators and they are portrayed as unredeemable scum. I think there wee one or two when retired but I can't get into a series where squirrels can solo wolverines.

>where squirrels can solo wolverines.
To be fair, Rakkety Tam was less the one who killed Gulo the Savage and more the catalyst for his death, because no way in fuck could Rakkety Tam actually hope to kill a giant fucking wolverine in direct combat, and the book has several characters outright say that it's next to impossible. Rakkety Tam had to sharpen the edge of his shield, stick it in the ground, and use Gulo's own weight against him to win.

This is my jam. Development is slow since it's only one guy working on it but it makes up for it with a lot of fucking polish.

If a Redwall movie is ever made, the studio that made Ernest and Celestine should produce it.

>That part where Constance drapes a net over one of the rats, picks it up, and just starts fucking bashing the rat against a wall until he's nothing but a pile of goo
Constance was metal as fuck

And yet a squirrel soloed a wolverine. There you go.

Not to mention the stoat that is raised by a good family and still gets treated like shit and written off by his adopted mother who he sacrificed himself to save as "evil all along." No thanks. There's a reason SA did that" Redwall Final Solution" parody column. You can keep your black and white morality nature over nurture books.

What he did to that mountain lion was pretty fucked up. I had problems with scoliosis as a kid and the treatment gave me some big hangups when it comes to anything related to spines. I did not enjoy the end of that book.

Yeah, this was one of the reasons I eventually dropped the series other than the sequel books being less good as time went on. The unintentional racism probably just stemmed form "Okay, I have these evil characters, so I'll portray them as literal rats and weasels" but then once you get into more complex world building and or revisiting the same setting again and again it becomes fantasy racism.

The mice are the only race consistently shown to break mousey/coward/timid/polite associations because 80% of the Sword bearers and heroes are mice. You never see a cowardly badger or an honorable fox and all the "good vermin" except for Blaggut get super dead by the end of their stories but he exiled himself anyway.

Hell, there was even that intelligent, well spoken mole from The Bellmaker who other characters gave so much shit toward because he didn't speak terribly like a 'proper' mole until under duress he briefly switched to molespeak.

I make no apologies for Jacques, but since he was ultimately an old man trying to write stories for deaf kids at the start, I kinda *hope* that this was never any deliberate intent on his part.

I can accept the black and white morality in general but that was a real kick in the dick I did not care for.

There was also that warrior mole who even had bloodwrath.

>The unintentional racism probably just stemmed form "Okay, I have these evil characters, so I'll portray them as literal rats and weasels" but then once you get into more complex world building and or revisiting the same setting again and again it becomes fantasy racism.
This really became prevalent in Taggerung, where they kind of did the inverse of Outcast's plot in that a baby otter is raised by a vermin chieftain, and despite being raised around "evil" creatures the otter was apparently born good and refused to partake in any verminous activity. And it's not like he had any environmental reasons to be good, like any abuse or anything. His adoptive dad was leader of the tribe and treated his adoptive son incredibly well. He was still an asshole, but to his son he was a gruff but ultimately decent dad (think Yondu from GOTG), and because he was chief everyone else in the tribe treated the otter pretty damn well (with the exception of one jealous faggot and his mom, both of whom everyone in the tribe hated anyway).

It's depressing because earlier books were willing to cast good creatures in bad lights. In Legend of Luke, there's an otter who's a straight up fucking cannibal and eats vermin alive, and was exiled from his holt because of it. Said otter is still a good guy, but the fact is that he had elements to his personality that were definitively bad, and if he hadn't been put in the company of better influences he would have stayed just as monstrous as fucking Gulo the Savage.

The ending of Outcast of Redwall is the only thing about the series I will never understand and never, ever defend. In a book about hope, redemption and proving that you are more than your heritage, going back on an entire books worth of development just to say "yeah, no, he was an evil asshole and deserved to die" was fucking cruel.

>Sup Forums talking about Redwall, a book series
Sure is /lit/ in here
Do they ever talk about Redwall?

Yeeeesh. I never red Outcast but I vaguely knew about some of this, but that is all kinds of fucked up and kinda paints Jacques in a poorer light.

I mean, Salamandastron was one of my favorite of the earliest books after the first two but it also kinda sucked ass that Mara and Pikkle are explicitly told by her father figure that all vermin are bad, and she was wrong to try befriending any of them, and then this turns out to be 100% correct when her two ferret buddies betray them. And then her dad gets killed, her home is nearly sacked and she goes off and becomes Mother Muscle Superior in an abbey. Kids book or not, it would have been scads more interesting if the conflict was actually about four kids from both sides of a conflict (the defenders of a fortress and an invading horde) finding common ground in rebellion against their elders without taking the easy way out.

>watching season 3
>they depict a Fox being "tortured" by tickling
>he is then immediately killed by being dropped from the ramparts of a fort

Well that was fucking jarring

4/lit/ is full of hipster teenagers and liberal arts and philosophy majors with their heads up their asses to actually discuss novels
It also has a board culture closer to Sup Forums with 'pass the book bro threads with hands covered in cheeto dust'
any book they talk about there is just hipster philobullshit
there was like a good few weeks at the start where they circlejerked over dresden files, then it all went downhill
you could probably try 7/lit/ or /book/ (if it still existed) though
or 99/lit/ if it hadn't lost all its userbase when it got deleted along with its ebook piracy goldmine

>It also has a board culture closer to Sup Forums with 'pass the book bro threads with hands covered in cheeto dust'
What, really? The few times I've been there all I saw was the bizarre unearned sense of superiority Sup Forums has.

>Badrang is having a shit of a time trying to deal with a ragtag group of rebels
>Clogg just stands around and trolls the shit out of Badrang
I wish we had more stories where the main villain gets perpetually shit on and laughed at by another, less-intimidating but still enjoyable villain.

Shit like Outcast hurts all the more when those few vermin that do get some amount of sympathy are some of the best characters in the series.

Outcast and Taggerung were my least favorite books because it feel like Jacues didn't know what to do with them. It's like he started out wanting to write two stories that had grey morality but bailed out at the last second.

I mean it's also a very medieval thing, which may have been the idea, playing at how anthropomorphism was always about how your animal traits in myth reflected your personality. We even see that in more modern stories like Dragonball where Oolong the pig (and I dunno if his Journey to the West reflection has this flaw) is, well, a horny pig.

the only weird thing is that the first book, Redwall, literally had the vermin and woodcreatures living in peace with the rats up and saying "oh blaming us all for asshole pirates again." until Cluny force-pressed them into service.

As stupid as I thought the conclusion to Outcast was did any other high Fantasy series treat traditionally villainous races that much differently? LotR never had sympathetic orcs or trolls. Narnia never had sympathetic characters from evil races.

The thing I was most salty about as a kid was that the Reptile races were always
1. Stupid
And
2. Subservient to vermin

Other than that I loved them all. Would have been interesting for Jacques to go into more exotic stuff after the Wolverine. Like invaders from the Redwall version of Asia or Africa or Australia. Australia especially since it was originally a penal colony. You could have a story about a long forgotten group of exiles who were sent away on a ship and then their marsupial descendants come back to make claim on their ancestral home. Or a Holy Grail-esque story with a group of Redwall warriors traveling to distant lands to find some important relic.

*Blocks your path*

I wanted to say that Jacques was trying to fix the vermin issue in later books, but then I remember that in The Sable Quean the horrid treatment of vermin gets extended to actual children.

In the book, there is a stoat named Globby who is ordered to spy on the Abbey from the outside. Globby, having never eaten a decent meal once in his entire life, decides to break into the Abbey, wherein he finds the kitchens and stuffs his face until he passes out. The Abbeydwellers find him and punish him by tying his leg to a table and force him to clean up the kitchens, but he manages to escape by finding a knife and cutting the rope tied to the table. Meanwhile, two Dibbuns are lost due to an unrelated sideplot, so the Abbeydwellers hunt Globby down because they assume he did something to the Dibbuns. They eventually find him and essentially pull a "Get him!" at the poor kid, who freaks out and runs to the attic to hide in a corner, sobbing his goddamn eyes out. After a few attempts by the Abbess to get him to come out, one of the Brothers of the Abbey swings in through the window, and the momentum of his swinging body crushes the kid's throat and he asphyxiates and dies. Of course, nobody cares about the dead kid because the Brother who crashed into the kid accidentally got stabbed and also died instantly, and they spend the next chapter set in the Abbey mourning poor Brother What's-His-Name.

Damn what a shitty way to die.

One dude? I thought it was an entire team. That would explain the delays i guess. Though at this point it's more likely to come out any time soon than fucking Overgrowth.
How is the gameplay going to be? From what i've seen it currently feels like a mix between Forsaken Fortress from Wind Waker, with some Elder Scrolls.

His snakes were pretty terrifying. I can probably blame Asmodeus for my lifelong fear of them.
>redwall.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Snakes

>The one vermin that's raised from a baby in the Abbey who despite being brought up in a peaceful and caring environment still ends up being a dick because he's a vermin.

That shit never sat right with me. I'm fine with most of the vermins being villains, they were a bunch of asshole who went around conquering and/or pillaging plenty of peaceful settlements simply because they could. But I didn't like the idea that they were as inherently evil as the mice, squirrels, hares, badgers, etc were inherently good.

Asmodeus was the closest thing the series ever had to a classic fantasy dragon.
>tfw no Oddysey/Tales of Sinbad style adventure with a group of mice traveling the world's oceans fighting exotic shit like crocodiles, sharks, apes, golden eagles, etc. trying to make their way back home.

>But I didn't like the idea that they were as inherently evil as the mice, squirrels, hares, badgers, etc were inherently good.
Occasionally I enjoy looking at the "good" characters from an in-universe perspective, because the only reason they're objectively good is because the book tells us they are.

I mean, think about it:

>Badgers are at the best of times hard-asses, at the worst of times fucking bloodthirsty psychopaths who would put DoomGuy's "RIP AND TEAR" to shame
>Mice are holier-than-thou assholes who only treat you well if you are one of the "right" races, and if you're not they'll treat you with scorn and shit
>Shrews are little shits who claim to be neutral and self-serving but are little better than sellswords who exclusively help mice
>Hares are fucking lunatics who make a game out of killing, acting like life-and-death situations are a 'walk in the park, wot wot!'
And so on.

Have any of you read Mouse Guard or Mice Templar? Do they fill the Redwall shaped void in your heart?

That time when she caught a fence spike and turned it on the rat that threw it at the walls.

Mouse Guard is pretty tight but i haven't read Mice Templar so i can't say.

shrews were the chaotic neutral element in the book.

There were some a read as a kid that were Redwall-esque, starring Red squirrels. Only story I remember is there a great flood and their tree gets turned into a ship and they sail to find a new home. Pretty sure there was a bit about a race war with some Grey squirrels as well. I've been trying to remember what they were called for years.

Oh and the Welkin Weasels but they were more Victorian period.

Mice Templar... I wanna be nice here since I've never been sure if MT is an intentional rip-off of Mouse Guard or vice versa or if all of them are just inspired by the same Redwall/fantasy animal ideal, but anyway...

Templar's art style is much different and not as posh as MG. I don't want to say it's worse but it's not the GOAT art of MG. Still, overall it has more political intrigue stuff going for it with multiple mouse/rodent kingdoms and empires, one of which ISTR was trying to grab up as much territory as it could. Where Redwall has its fantasy Racism, MT and MG both handle evil being more subjective with both good and bad and just politically/personally motivated characters mucking shit up. The strongest idea/plot thread I remember from Mice Templar was that it has an Obi-Wan kinda character who feeds some templar-wannabe kid a huge legend of prophecy and it turns out he (the Obi-Wan) is actually a lunatic trying to manipulate the poor kid (who just wants to help people) into being a templar under his control and the real Templars aren't having any of his phoney fortune telling bullshit and they kill his ass. Luckily his little protege still gets to go to legitimately train as a knight.

Jesus christ, I'm all for bad guys getting what's coming to them but that's just fucking mean

Well, the smashing into goo was described in the book. In the series, we only get to see a shot of Constance looking angry and lunging for the rat before it cut away.

Still, it's the last episode of the first season ("The Final Conflict"), you'll probably find it in either Part 2 or Part 3 of his uploads.

That's honestly kind of hilarious. Did they even bother to bury the poor fuck, or did they just hang the corpse from a tree as a warning to others?

They didn't say, but I assume they got the Skipper or someone to toss him into a ditch somewhere while the rest of the Abbey mourned the accidental death of the Amazing Flying Friar.

WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU JUST SAY NIGGA?

S3 > S1 > S2

Season 2 is the worst, always, the shittiest. You hear me? Do you fucking hear me or do I have to send my henchmen "Crazy Gertrude" after you, RAT? You're not a mouse, you're a damn rat, a nigger of the mice world.

Season 2 was a long filler journey about them chasing after their stupid kids who got kidnapped by a one-shot villain character from season 1 who got retconned into being alive. Originally said villain from S2 was eaten by a giant snake, who was again a main threat in season 1.

Season 3 was about the ancient hero everyone sucked his dick and looked after him, he was the legendary Merlin of S1.
And they managed. Season 3 had a much more adult theme as mature and intelligent as Willy Fog and Sandocan meant for older viewers who appreciate adult heroes.

Season 1 was for kids because it was about one obnoxious kid looking up to said hero and trying to defeat his own villains.
Season 2 was the kid, but grown up and it wasn't all that mature. The kid was just as boring as an adult as he was as a kid, then the actual interesting 3 dimensional character pop up in season 3 which actually feels like an interesting adult worthy of writing legends about.

Sometimes I wonder why do I browse Sup Forums since it's filled with tumblr tier crap and weird fetishes everywhere. In times like these I know I browse because, sometimes, there are nice links and nice recommendations, like this one.

Thanks a lot, OP.

was season 3 the one with martin? cause that was the best one.
>the ending song by the one mouse girl
damn that shit was sad.

Wildcats were exceptions. Verdauga was basically Lawful Neutral, with his kids being Neutral Good and Neutral Evil.

The actual hunt for the kids was a bit drawn out, but everything after the Lord of Mossflower was good, and those scenes in Malkariss make up for everything..

Yep, season 3 was all about Martin before he became the hero of Redwall, before Redwall itself even existed, and his legendary adventures with Rose, the purest of pure mouse waifus.

I'm actually really impressed with how true to the book the season was in regards to Martin's relationship with Rose. The only major deviation is that Martin never told Rose he loved her before she died in the book.

>Check the wiki
>All those "killed by Constance" characters

>Redwall
>obscure

KYS, underage.

I agree with you, but you have to admit Tim Curry did a phenomenal job as Slagar the Cruel.

I was always curious, what was the timespan of the series? It seemed to cover centuries of in-universe time.

Well, if I recall correctly, she did get at least 10 guys at the same time with that pot.