Honestly, did ALL of these movies deserve an Oscar nom over Your Name? Discuss

Honestly, did ALL of these movies deserve an Oscar nom over Your Name? Discuss...

None of those films deserve an Oscar regardless, and neither does Your Name. Makoto Shinkai is a fucking overrated hack and none of his films are even remotely good.

>hating things, trying to sound smart.

Your Name had better artistry than Moana, Zootopia or Kubo if nothing else and I don't think it lacks in story and direction and such compared to those, so yeah, it should be in there over them.

Frankly I don't think classical animation and computer animation should be in the same category but then again I can see why they do it, even films full of oldschool, hand-drawn animation often have some CGI or CGI-enhanced elements. I suppose it would be hard to find where to draw the line.

Personally I would've switched Moana with YN. Seriously, two fucking Disney movies the same year?

The first 3 are pretty solid choices.

Your Name's story is worse than any of those nominees

Honestly last year's slate was the best in a while. There was nothing that obviously didn't belong. And the obligatory Disney/Pixar winner wasn't completely undeserving like Brave or Big Hero 6.

Zootopia deserved the Oscar. Few animated movies use the setting in such a clever way and then handle such a touchy subject with such grace.

I hate to break it to you, but French avant-garde animation is objectively superior to anime.

And last year we also got the FIRST truly-adult film in the category's history.

That was actually pretty cool. Good movie too.

Zootopia had the least staying power of any film I've watched in the last 5 years.

Which is quite odd. I don't mean to say I disliked it, only that it hasn't stuck with me at all.

>one day we may have a kids animated movie category and an adult animated category
neat

Kubo deserved to win

On a technical level yes.
On a story level, no.

It's story was too messy. It certainly took some risks but those were held down by poor execution and a very weak ending

I personally thought that A Silent Voice was better than Your Name but nobody watched it

Did anyone, literally anyone on Sup Forums watch Zucchini yet?

The answer was no the last time I asked, making us basically no better than the academy judge.

Red Turtle and Zootopia did. the rest did not.

>weak ending
that's all I would agree on. The story was VERY tight, it had a flow that allowed you breaks between the very serious stuff. I seriously don't see any major flaws other than the ending.

Messy? What do you mean? I'm a nitpicker and I found it pretty solid

What do you mean by staying power?

It doesn't cross my mind and I'm not particularly interested in redownloading it in higher quality or anything. It's sort of like saying it's forgettable, but if you could scrub that of all the negative implications.

Maybe despite not really following it too closely, I still managed to hype myself up too much before release and then wound up only-satisfied, compared to just watching something from 1983 because it has a snappy title or whatever.

I think one of the two Disney movies (Moana imo) could have been dropped to make room for Your Name

I think animation, inherently, should be about approaching storytelling through a medium that can excel in the fantastic.

Your Name doesn't do that. It's one of the problems I had with 5 Cm per Second, it's just a mediocre story with beautiful albeit ultimately mundane still qualities.

That's weird. Did you just see it by yourself? Have you talked about it at all in public? I've seen it with family and friends and we all have interesting conversations about it. The racial level, the world building, the characters. It had more substance than most animated movies.