Why do American comics insist on bolding and italicizing every other word?

Why do American comics insist on bolding and italicizing every other word?

Not all writers choose to do that. Busiek kinda went a little overboard in Superman: Secret Identity. Some writers choose to forgo it entirerly and leave it to the reader but I feel like those guys are few and far between.

>cherrypicking.jpg

Some writers use it for conversational EMPHASIS.
>"It's all YOUR fault!"

Others use it for PLOT emphasis.
>"The PLANE is headed to NEW YORK!"

And OTHERS just use IT almost at RANDOM.
>"We've GOT to CONTACT the AVENGERS before DOOM blows the BAXTER BUILDING to KINGDOM COME!"

because unlike whatever shithole you come from, WE believe that lettering is an important part of the art of comics

It's not DONE that much THESE DAYS, is it? It's some OLD FASHIONED thing to make COMICS easier for KIDS to read. Remember the TARGET AUDIENCE.

ah i see, thank you
ah, is this neo-Sup Forums?

Probably just an American that has only read from the big two.

Because Valiant is different amirite.

Is lettering not important in eurocomics?
Do you guys just type everything?

As I've noticed, British comics are more aware, in this regard. Moore and Gaiman are great examples of not just changing the font, but the color as well.
If you ever have the fortune of noticing a Franco-Belgian storytime here, give them a read. It's quite interesting how sometimes even the bubbles and letters distort in some situations, and how some font changes based on the era the characters are in.

So you know which words to bother reading.

The idea is that this would represent point where speech would be emphasized, to make the sounds easier to imagine in the head.

>user (burst bubble, meme arrows): BECAUSE unlike whatever SHITHOLE you come from, WE believe that LETTERING is an important part of ART OF COMICS!

If you're talking Sandman regarding Gaiman, uh, those were lettered by Todd Klein, who's American.

Generally, if you see something amazing regarding letting, you have good odds it's either Stan Sakai or Todd Klein, there's a reason that they basically dominate Eisners for lettering.

In the English translations I have of Asterix the lettering choice really sucks shit in terms of readability. I don't think that's necessarily a function of the franco-belgian comic as much as the translation letterer just being a scrub.

>WE believe that lettering is an important part of the art of comics

No Americans don't, it's a joke that most artists don't letter their own comics here. It's a separate process solely because of the assembly line production that has been the mainstay of American comics ever since Eisner

>Why do American
>Do Americans really

Tell us all about your enlightened country, OP

Yeah, I am very bad with remembering names, so i just went with the names I remembered connected to those works. My bad.

Its done to make it easier to read

what the fuck are you talking about? how is giving a letterer their own separate part NOT highlighting how important lettering is?

CONSIDERING that I try to READ such words WITH emphasis, the fact that SOME COMICS SEEM to apply bold and/or italics at random IS annoying.

Not Op, this is just a pet peeve of mine too.

AMERICAN BURGER FREEDOM SHART IN MART TRUMPTARD CLAPISTANI INBRED HICKSHITS

There. Are you done? You want to try this thread again and ask why most comic writers do this?

>why do American...
Why do so many people who don't read foreign comics seem to think they have a say in what only Americans do? Stylized lettering isn't an American invention

Good ones don't do it every other word. That is a bad example in the OP, but you knew that already.

I guess what constitutes an italicized and bolded word in text varied from reader to reader, but as I read text in my head, italicized and bolded stuff came off as words emphasized in conversation, like real people tend to do. But again, that is only effective when used correctly, and not like OPs image.

user here user, user couldn't respond because he was choking on a million mudslime dicks.

i dont know but it fucking bugs the hell out of me. same thing with crazy paneling and speech bubbles.
i think kids are smart enough to pick up on what's important and what's not

I thought the whole point of bolding (beyond just emphasis) was to break up the monotony of the text and make it easier to read.

You haven't seen Malaysian comics, mate. Basic Arial-ish font on all genres, but the English words are italicized while slang / colloquial words (hint: used pretty much a lot) are boldened. Done since the early 2000s IIRC to appease the national language regulator body's concerns over comics supposedly "influencing" the tongues of young children...

I hate when they do it for superhero names the first time someone addressing that character says their codename...in EVERY issue. Dc mainly does this, but Marvel was terrible with this practice in the 90's, with the codenames in word bubbles having frigging colored logos and (tm) behind them.

I can't believe half of you fixated on the "American" part of OP's post. OP didn't even say it was bad or anything. Jesus christ.

Bolding a few words here and there is really associated with American comics for me.
Change of fonts and text deformation, that's everywhere.

Why do Japanese Mangaka insist on using unnecessary ellipses? They put in a redundant text bubble with ellipses rather than letting the art speak for itself.

I am a fan of both Western Comics and Manga, but ellipses text bubbles bug the shit out of me.

I wonder if Malaysian webcomics have to follow this rule?

He's trying to make it seem like we are dumb in my country, but that's not true. He is the dumb one

Nah, they don't have to.