So are these characters good, or were they just diversity hires?

So are these characters good, or were they just diversity hires?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ol-SAWurTxY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

How about you actually read the comics?

Simon is best boy

Jessica is also good but I don't waifu her

I like them. If you changed their nationalities, nothing would change. They both have relatable personalities and good character interaction

youtube.com/watch?v=ol-SAWurTxY

Baz was forgettable for like 4 years.

I don't think this is true for Simon, or at least it matters a lot for his origin.

both. Sort of.

Baz started as a diversity hire, but he was always interesting enough on his own, at least concept-wise. He has a unique look, and was "that one green lantern who's paranoid and so carries a gun"

While Jessica If i remember right, sprouted from that Crime Syndicate stuff. She had that Crime Syndicate Green lantern ring, and after that was all said and done, she got a Green Lantern ring instead.

they've been fairly good recently though. Jessica in particular has been interesting, seeing her overcome her issues thatw ere holding back her Green lantern powers

yes

Simon was more of a self-insert than a diversity thing.

The writer was a muzzo?

Johns is Lebanese

Johns is half Lebanese, but I dont think he's a Mudslime

Geoff Johns is half Lebanese.

His mom is a practicing Muslim, but he's Catholic like his dad.

johns is lebanese and from deerborn

>half Lebanese
We just call that being bi

No his father's side are lebanese maronite christians. His mom is American.

That's not what he said on his own forum years ago. Comic Bloc, remember that place? Years back CapedAndCowl was arguing with Paul King about some religious thing and Johns stepped in and offered his views.

Fuck I miss when that place before it became the graveyard it is.

>we never saw Paranoid Wanted simon and crazy survivalist Jessica together
>Simon and Jess never went shooting together
>Jess never chided for his poor survivalist skills
>they never went off the grid together to discuss government conspiracies

yes user every human character in fiction not white or hetero is now a diversity hire because SJWs.

Those are not mutually exclusive.

They were good diversity hires.

Being "the Muslim GL with the gun and ski mask" was not a wise way to start Simon off as the audience jumping in character for DC Cosmic after FP.

Jessica should have stayed as Power Ring with all the drawbacks that entailed.

I thoroughly enjoy both. One may have started as a diversity push, but both have moved beyond that and shown you can make a new character who's diversity isn't there only trait, something Marvel should try and learn from.

Also, Jessica is best girl.

Damn
Never realized how much I wanted it till now

readcomiconline dot to
Thank me later.

which ones should i read of these two?

The only time he's mentioned his heritage/nationality since Rebirth i think was the adorable issue where he and Jess cooked together.

Simon is not bad and Jess is best girl.

Diversity hires

they are degrading DC comics

To this day, I have no idea what they were thinking.

To the Guardians, all Green Lanterns are diversity hires.

Better than any GL since Ron Marz in the 90's.

This
so redundant as well

Well at least the gun killed Sinestro... who was already dead... but the point still stands. It really does raise a good point about GLs. Yes, when they lose their power they can rely on their own strength and wits, but imagine relying on strength, wits, and a GUN.

It's mostly ok when DC does it

Because they've been doing it for a long time without making a big fuss about it and it usually turns out good? Hell, even black Power Girl is good. She'll be better when she gets SLADED.

>without making a big fuss of it
so the content doesn't matter, just the publicity around it. got it

DC should not get a pass

this diversity degeneracy needs to stop

>Jessica should have stayed as Power Ring with all the drawbacks that entailed.
This. So much this.

>Jessica should have stayed as Power Ring with all the drawbacks that entailed.
She would slowly die if she stayed like that, they made her ring sassy which has its moments, as for her ring they are covering its origin

Has Baz existed for 4 years?

>stop something that has been happening for decades
This isn't news, black people, women, american politics, all relevant and will always be because writers will want to say what they want to say and show what they want to show, as long as it doesn't hurt the story with shallow characters and poorly handled messages with lack of subtlety things will be fine

Considering that DC has been getting it right, even when they get it wrong at first and someone makes it better.

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

I wish Marvel treated their diverse characters better and not some promotional fluff for people that don't buy comics. At least they don't announce stuff on the View like they did with female Thor and THE FIRST NATIVE AMERICAN HERO EVER!

Green Lanterns is one of the best book of the DC Rebirth

The zero issue event which saw his introduction happened in September 2012.

Jesus. Time flies. That, or maybe he just hasn't had substance pre rebirth.

gun friend, best friend.

>THE FIRST NATIVE AMERICAN HERO EVER!
How about that dude from Super Friends though

Like most of the rest of the thread is saying, they're basically diversity hires done right. This is what Marvel thinks it's doing and is trying to do but is failing so badly to attain. The fact that they're racially diverse and have these other issues don't define them and isn't the thing which DC is marketing about them. They don't replace existing characters but supplement them. Every decision which could have been handled terribly under Marvel's editorial staff has been handled well with these two under DC's. They're great characters and great additions to the mythos.

They're finally starting to be decent.
For one, the black guy ditched the entirely retarded gun.

every single Green Lantern issue would improve if it starred Kyle instead

Thunderbird made his first (albeit brief) appearance in X-Men three years before Apache Chief. So while he's a minor character he certainly beats him to the punch.

He really hasn't. He was important for something like 3 issues after his introduction, was mostly background in Justice League of America and was background in the corps till rebirth.

The book is ok, it focuses decent amount of time on both of them so they get their development and the excess internal narration boxes is justified by the fact that greatest source of conflict for these two rookies is their own fears and self doubt instead of something external.

>they turn the gun into a symbol of his self doubt and needing to believe in something external to himself to accomplish something
Neat. I should read this series.

check it, terrorist lantern and green spic