Is there an episode of a children's cartoon more grotesque than 'Dark Harvest'?

Is there an episode of a children's cartoon more grotesque than 'Dark Harvest'?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PuAMqHTLlQU
turtlepedia.wikia.com/wiki/Insane_in_the_Membrane
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

My squigglyspootch!

Bad Rubber Piggy is less disgusting, but it's a lot more disturbing and upsetting.

Insane in the Membrain

So fucked up that it got banned in America.

As a kid both episodes left me laying awake at night but Bad Bad Rubber Piggy left me awake at night far more often.

The time travel episode was way worse.

Not to be a SU fag, but I think the episode 'Keeping It Together' is more grotesque as an idea, but isn't as grotesque in visuals as "Dark Harvest' is.

Remember just how horrific gem shards are to begin with- they're literal fragments of the original gem's mind and psyche, desperately trying to reach out and find the rest of themselves. Imagine your computer is a sentient device, then rip it into pieces. Each piece is partially aware that they're not whole, but no part by itself is sentient enough to do anything besides reach out for other computer signals, trying to put itself back together again. At that point, gems are effectively dead and gone.

Now add fusion into the mix. While fusion represents relationships of any kind more so than specifically romantic or sexual ones, they are more often romantic than they are familial.

Thus, forced-fusion of gem shards is a mix of necromancy, rape, and necrophilia, all to a 'being' that is in constant pain and trying to make itself whole.

TL;DR: Cluster gems are a mix between Frankenstein, Necromorphs, and rape, except each part is tortured, unwilling, and screaming for help it can't receive. Charming!

There was a time on Nick when this whole show was rated TV-Y.

I'm with OP. Dark Harvest was bad for a kid. Even as an adult, it gives me the creeps.

I'm pretty sure Invader Zim is the reason I'm so jaded as an Adult.

I'm still not sure what fucking amazing pitch or how best of pals Jhonen had to be to not only get the episode idea past the pitching phase to Nick execs, but to get it fucking made.

Hirsch got notes from Disney telling him he couldn't even have a short where Mabel experienced death for the first time when she saw a cute butterfly die.

It sure gave me a few nightmares as a kid. I can remember one to this day because of how bad it scared me.

A challenger approaches!

>my tumblr cartoon is so DEEP and COMPLEX just look at my headcanon!

Tooncucks are a true cancer.

>being so retarded you can't understand when things are literally stated in a show
shiggy diggy

Dark Harvest made me laugh as a kid but if I first saw it as an adult, I'd probably be more disturbed.

Bad Bad Rubber Piggy is psychologically disturbing on all levels.

I remember being squeamish during Hobo 13 when Zim used that one guy as a battering ram and when the door opened, you could see all this ooze coming out of his deflated skull. Gross.

That episode where Captain K'nuckles explodes from eating to many hotdogs.

That show was rife with disturbing imagery. But I think the barber set me off more than anything due to his speech pattern

Also, credit to Speed Demon for being unabashed nightmare fuel.

they seem pretty gay about being tortured

It's Steven Universe. What else do you expect?

Keeping it Together got SU banned in my household, can't watch it with my daughter in the room anymore. we still do secretly

which is interesting because SU is usually pretty girly all things considered.

>that scene where Peridot explains gems shards ad just how eldritch horror the entire concept is
>people will still justify shattering Gems

I fucking hate Tumblr.

youtube.com/watch?v=PuAMqHTLlQU

Dark Harvest is so disgusting it sort of circles back around to a crude sense of comedy.

Rubber Piggy actually fucked me up, hard. There's something inherently disturbing behind it.

Let's not forget about this angel

For me it was seeing the steady decline in Dib's physical and mental health as he became more crippled and pathetic. Although the reasoning for it happening was crazy sci-fi tech, the effects were all things that could easily happen in reality by other means.

Seeing Dib go from planning an elaborate stealth mission to just struggling to breathe and walk while dealing with crippling PTSD flashbacks is still chilling to me at my current age. Seeing it as a kid was legitimately scarring. Not to mention Dib actually fucking DIES. He's resurrected by his dad of course but it's still shocking.

Yeah, out of everything in the show, this episode was easily the most horrific.
I like to think it was an inspiration for the time amputation scene in Looper.

Suuuuuuuuuuurgery.

I wouldn't call it grotesque. Disturbing yes. Terrifying, yes, but not grotesque since it doesn't really illicit a feeling of revulsion.

If most of what happened was implied off screen I wouldn't question it but how in the flying fuck did they manage to get away with literal child guys sticking out from Zim's mouth because he's overstuffed with them on screen?

Modern Spongebob can get pretty fucking disgusting at times.

You banned steven universe in your household?

None of the episodes were banned in America wtf are you talking about?

Honestly for me the episode with the chicken man (or whatever he is) that Dib hunts down fucked me up but when it aired I was little and my older brother had literally just started scaring me with some fucked up story of an escaped chicken man mutant. We lived in the middle of nowhere so i was kinda fucked up from it. I laugh now though.
This show scares me more in adult hood than it did as a kid watching it desu

TORQUE SMACKEEEEEY

Your wife cheats on you

t was an alien parody
jhonen is an alien fangirl

somehow the episode where he confuses a duck with a baby is the most disturbing fo me
mostly because its entirely in the show style and it doesnt rely on some scare moment or anything

it's not even that bad m8

Using a passive voice makes it unsettling.

It makes you sound like an observer in your home, not a participant

The ending to this is unnerving

>that scene where Peridot explains gems shards ad just how eldritch horror the entire concept is.

And it's one that's been done before in other works, Peridot's description of Cluster Gems can also fit the Heartless from Kingdom Hearts.

Your autism is compelling

cartoons get away with some dark stuff
but I still can't believe they actually let them make Dark Harvest into an episode
I mean it's not subtle, it's not a one-off joke, it's barely even a joke, it's not even like they're hiding what he's doing
Zim literally steals organs for an episode

Invader Zim and Courage the Cowardly Dog never scared me. This episode of the Powerpuff Girls gave me screaming nightmares.

>I like to think it was an inspiration for the time amputation scene in Looper.
Oh fuck why'd you have to remind me of that.

Not to mention the whole Scott Dyleski murder thing too. I know him mentioning it was a joke, but it's still unnerving.

He's talking about 4kids TMNT
turtlepedia.wikia.com/wiki/Insane_in_the_Membrane

its probably not that bad compared to anything else mentioned here, but i always thought that the brain episode of billy & mandy was pretty grotesque. just something about everyones brains being sucked out of their bodies and them becoming brainless zombies seemed pretty gross to me. still an awesome episode imo

That, bad rubber piggy and the one where zim makes dib believe his whole life was succesful should have received some real accolades

Yeah it's pretty disgusting. I'd really have liked to be a fly on the wall when that episode was pitched to Nick.

Who even looked at Vasquez's work and figured 'this guy needs to make a children's cartoon!'

Bad ends for ongoing shows always unnerves me.

The Dib fantasy universe is genuinely compelling on its own.

well everyone panicking rushing for their lives and turning into fetuses as the slowly disappear from existence all while reversed music plays is a bit more darker than usual for B&M. Hell it's almost creepypasta tier.
Plus, Grims birth form is...

Yeah this scared me a lot as a kid. I was too old to be spooked by Invader Zim when it came out.

> …waving goodbye…I just stood there waving goodbye…

Do you think that jhonen watched Rashomon before making "misterious mysteries"?

I think just about anything from Ren and Stimpy could count.

DELETE THIS

of all the religious stuff i'm sure they cut from this show i'm surprised they let that slip through

This episode was the start of darkness for a lot of people fetishwise

The organ episode, bad rubber piggy, the lice episode and the one where they turned into bologna episodes were pretty disturbing to me as a human child.

Oh fuck no that whole episode makes me want to throw up

What the absolute fuck.

Why does he have a cross on his forehead as a fetus anyway

That's because Alex is a pussy my friend. It seems like with cartoons you only get super sanitized stuff or incredibly gross and disturbing. GF wasn't nearly as scary as Zim.

it appears to be a common design trait amongst those who depict the grim reaper but I cant seem to find out the origin either

>episodes were pretty disturbing to me as a human child.
>human child

The Invader Zim episode with the lice was pretty bad, too. Also, as other posters have said, Bad Bad Rubber Piggy. Just seeing Dib retroactively fall apart.

I think the scariest thing about this show was those questions about the Irken race itself that got brought up in some of the unaired scripts but never answered, namely that the real Irken mind is the computer inside the backpack that's plugged into a disposable cloned meat body. They could never have come about through natural evolution, so they must have been engineered to be that way. Did they do that to themselves, in some desperate means to survive by installing cold, durable machinery? Was it a bid for power? Or did some lunatic cook them up in a laboratory and lose control (or worse, deliberately released them) releasing a tyrannical scourge across the galaxy, gradually sterilizing all other life until they're all that's left?

That isn't a Christian cross on grim's head, that's what a baby's skull looks like before the fontanels close.

Hahaha! Holy shit, I will pretend this is the next step of "my wife son" shitposting because if it's real you are pathetic.

even more fucked up
but detailed at least

Oh those things. In my country touching then is said to bring bad luck.

Hey everybody, check out this weirdo freaking out over a normal post!

They're there so the infant's skull can deform to fit through the mother's pelvis more easily. Gotta give it to Maxwell Adams on detail.

A normal HUMAN post, at that.

Yeah I know I grew up with lots of babies since my relatives won't stop making them

Was about to post this. Always assumed it was this anyways.

I think what got me was that Gaz actually started to act NICER to her brother during that alternate timeline. Not a doting sister mind you, but she treated him with patience and a bit of concern. Considering how Gaz usually treats him, it was like her serving him breakfast in bed.

is it Jamaica/Caribbean?
I ask cause Grim is Jamaican.

I won't say it, but it's a small country full of super religious brown people that won't stop complaining about politicians despite keeping the same people in power for 30 years. Also half the houses in my neighborhood are unfinished

Is Zim's age ever stated? I doubt Irkin lifespans are anything like a humans but I'm still curious. Zim himself seems very childish but he's definitely an adult I'm sure. It's just really bizarre when you see his rivalry with Dib and realize he has a fucking rivalry with a human child when they seem to be at the same level. I don't know if Dibs just that intelligent or Zim is just that much of a failure.

Ah, Mexico.

didn't the creator say Dib was supposed to die and be replaced, or was he just joking?
I can never tell with Zim.

Yeah that episode is messed up regardless
Its weird the humor in the episode feels out of place since the story is so macabre.

We're actually really far away from Mexico but I can see why'd you think that

For a given value of animated, there was the episode of Mr. Meaty where Parker, I think, fried his hand so he could feed it to a goth chick with a cannibalism fetish.

Zim is a technological/weaponry genius, but a retard in all other aspects. Irkens have super long lifespans, Vasquez has said Zim is about 200 years old, but he's still young by irken standards.

Anything from Extreme Ghostbusters could fit in this thread.

I always figured Zim wasn't necessarily stupid, just insane and really short sighted.

SHUT UP

ME AND MY WIFE ARE HAPPY

Italy.

Greece? Turkey?

What's it supposed to be?

>as a human child
Anything you wanna share user?

Cat of catdog crawling out of dogs mouth

And also on a probably unrelated note

A dead baby

The fact that they only showed it as a silhouette almost makes it worse for me.