Adventure Time vs Steven Universe

Which show is ultimately better Sup Forums?

I personally think it's SU

SU for me

AT, and it's not close.

They're both hot garbage. But if I *had* to pick, AT obviously, there's at least something that vaguely resembles entertainment there at times.

adventure time

early AT blows SU out of the water
stacking up almost anything past early AT vs. SU's townie episodes is a hard one

>Islands and Elements vs. Onion Gang and Rocknaldo
I think I know what I'd choose.

Why on earth would anyone pick that hot garbage SU? AT may have gone a little stale but its no where near as bad as SU.

AT laid out the groundwork for SU. Sugar's boarding/songwriting on AT helped make SU what it is.

Cause SU is good, obviously

As someone who has actually watched Adventure Time from premiere, Steven Universe. Every fucking time. It has done too much good shit.

>major events vs. townie episodes
its more like comparing breezy vs. that stevonnie car episode

Classic AT > SU >>> Current AT

Breezy wins easily, but I never hated that episode.

So SU is better? Gotcha.

AT got a "major event" every week but nothing really changes, AT don't even feel linear anymore.

At least Finn actually grows as a character, unlike a certain gem boy

>progress is always good

Early AT was amazing before descending into mediocrity, SU has always been mediocre from the start

So if we are going by their current episodes, then it's a tie, but in the long run AT was much better

Compare Steven in season 1 to Steven during the abduction arc. Don't be retarded.

>It has done too much good shit.
I got nothing

Obviously. Why else would "progressive" have a positive connotation?
/s

Both shows are great, but Adventure Time is definitely superior. Each season has a plenty of great episodes, whereas Steven Universe went from an emotional and dramatic show to cryfest 2017. I'm optimistic for the future of both, though

>implying

Mirror Gem and Ocean Gem fucking got me back into cartoons. You may not like SU personally, but it is objectively kino when it wants to be.

Adventure Time

>I'm optimistic for the future of both, though
Please leave.

>Mirror Gem and Ocean Gem fucking got me back into cartoons.
That's sad as shit also
>using kino unironically
Fuck off

>When the hell was AT ever linear?
when it got shoved to a bomb format

you're the retarded one, they fake a development during plot heavy episodes only to completely contradict and drop it once the fillers start again. Remember Room For Ruby? Steven had been tricked multiple times by that point, yet he was still retarded enough to immediately trust Navy and even showing her where the ship is, showing that he hasn't learned his lession at all

Yeah, it's been pretty linear recently with the miniseries, but as a whole, not really. They'll probably be more linear storytelling heading into the final season though.

*There'll
jfc, I'm tired.

So you've watched every episode but don't think Steven is a developed character? 10 year old Steven singing cookie cat songs and only thinking about food is the same as what Steven has gone through with his mother/homeworld in the recent episodes.

>10 year old Steven singing cookie cat songs
He was 13 back then. He's 14 now.

Actually he was 12 back then, he turned 13 in too many birthdays.

AT was good then became very disappointing. It's kind of redeemed itself a little by now, but whatever. SU has been more consistent but was never as goo as AT's heights. For me, at least.

going through something ≠ character development
the development happens when that something impacts the character, and with Steven it clearly does not, or it does but only when it's convenient for sadness points

Steven learning his mother was a war criminal made him much more mature, he even said so himself. You think that learning she shattered Pink diamond didn't impact him, what about the Bismuth episode?

This

Adventure Time for obvious reasons

I repeat
>it does but only when it's convenient for sadness points
learning it didn't impact how he acts and behaves, it's just used as a way to make him cry more, which he always did
A bit of development that I can admit is when Steven is refused answers and he reacts angrily, see that's development because normally he would never do that, he's generally peaceful. But again, it's just a facade because they always occasionally drop all development to have the plot move forward

No he didnt

I don't see how AT can go wrong at this point. There's only around 20 episodes to go, and the crew seem committed to giving us a solid conclusion. They should easily be able to maintain the current quality through to the end.

>maintain the current quality
>quality
>implying AT ever had that

I watched both and I prefer AT.
imo the answer is nn the title : ADVENTURE TIME focus mainly on adventures.
SU focus on steven, and he's not very interesting as character since he's so young.

The world and setting of Adventure Time is a lot more fun, cartoony, and 'out there', and has a lot more potential with story lines and possibilities. It's basically a series dedicated to the weird and sometimes obtuse and the human boy that is a part of it.

Steven Universe also possesses potential, though is generally hampered by various issues. However, when you get beyond the problems, has an interesting concept and background. Steven Universe's world itself is less fleshed out than Adventure Time, and all we really know is that it's an 'alternate Earth' with some different history. A lot of potential seems to have been squandered, but it has had an impact.

It's impossible to decide which is the better series in the long run, especially when you like both. Adventure Time has managed to play around and do a lot more with its setting and characters, but Steven Universe has managed to at least lay a lot of ground work for POSSIBILITIES.

I suppose if I had to choose, I'd lean more towards Adventure Time

And then he engineered the escape of all his friends to give himself up.
He did not attempt to flee, as he would have earlier, but embraced responsibility and sacrificed himself. Whether this is his responsibility can be debated, but he took it on and basically accepted his mother's legacy. That is a level of maturity we had not really seen from him before. We also see this in how he talked to Lars through the whole ordeal. He talks to Lars like an older brother, egging him on and trying to make him interact with the group. Then on the ship Steven's reaction to Lars is indicative of this relationship, too. Steven wanted to protect him and tries to get him out before he would get hurt. Like a father sending his children inside as strangers near the house. The fact that Steven cries does not preclude mature actions. Especially in a show where everyone is bawling all the time.

It's called an opinion user. Although in this case, to say that AT is devoid of any quality is just silly.

>and he's not very interesting as character since he's so young.
user, Steven is 14-years-old. He started the series as 13-years-old. Finn started out as 12.

AT S1-4 >>>>>SU S1 S2>>>>>>>>>>>Trash>>>>SU S3-S4
Is not even a contest

I think you're confusing Adventure Time for Clarence

>It's called an opinion
Yeah, a shitty one.
>to say that AT is devoid of any quality is just silly.
To say that AT isn't devoid of any quality is just stupid.

>It's impossible to decide which is the better series in the long run
No SU is clearly better, much deeper characters and character development, better setting, better story that has a clear focus on who the threat is but keeps us questioning on how the threat will actually be dealt with.

Some of the townie episodes aren't that great but they're better than retarded fruits. How people think AT is better is behold me.

Aren't you cold Finn?

>How people think AT is better is behold me.
Taste is subjective, user. The thing is that not everybody is interested in the same thing. While some people go for series that involve 'deep' characters and character development, others will go for something that they simply enjoy for the fun of it.

With Adventure Time, it's simply, at its core, a cartoon with plot and story as a side aspect. You come for the cartoon itself, and are given a little extra from time to time.

When you are comparing two completely different series, you need to consider all the angles instead of just one. Simply weighing both series on one aspect, which you are doing, isn't the best way to do it.. Again, it is impossible to decide which is the better series in the long run when you enjoy both series, and are capable of putting together critical thinking skills in regards to what both series bring to the table.

So, you're saying there's literally nothing good about Adventure Time? Nothing at all? Jeez, that's harsh. I'm not much a fan of SU, but I can still acknowledge what it does well. The backgrounds are beautiful, I really like the indie-game style soundtrack, it has a few genuinely touching moments, and at its best exudes a warmth and charm that few other shows can achieve. I haven't gotten that feeling from it in a while though.

Oh no, don't get me wrong.
SU is literal filth that should be banned from TV.
AT is just uninspired mediocrity with no real value.

>Adventure Time
>uninspired
Get that trash out of here. Hate on it all you want, but 'uninspired' is simply not true.

The amount of cancer being posted in this thread is unprecedented.

SU has higher highs and lower lows.

Yeah, you need to be much higher to tolerate it.

I feel sad that this is the best the industry has to offer

Not a bad comment my man, thread should end here

Why have they never had a crossover?
They fucking had Uncle Grandpa crossover with SU which make no sense and SU/AT has never been considered.
Also I hate to say it but SU is better. All of it's flaws and "social political commentary" the show at least tries to have an advancing story. AT has lost it's way and is stagnant.

If you mean modern cartoons, this is by far. (Yeah, it ended, but that's part of what made it good: having a clear plan for when to end it.)

I don't care what Sup Forums thinks, I loved the ending to Gravity Falls!

Yusuke Urameshi was 14 when yuyu hakusho started. And he has more character depth than what steven will ever have.

Before there was nothing, there were monsters.

based urameshi

>Islands and Elements
>Good

>Onion Gang
>Not the only good episode of recent SU

Most of Sugar's episodes are fucking garbage.

You seem too excited for this post to be genuine.

When SU actually concentrates on the story, it wins. Which is almost never.

AT's "townie" episodes are actually more entertaining than the main plot. Townie episodes in SU drag down the quality of the series and occupy way too much of the actual show.

Adventure Time handles filler episodes way better but SU's story is better. The problem with SU is sometimes the 'lessons' are hamfisted, and sometimes the filler is dull as fuck (Even if sometimes that filler ends up being important later, some of it is painful to get through), and the filler usually comes right smack dab in the middle of some big goings on.

Calling it, when it comes back from Hiatus, Lars wil still be on homeworld and Steven will do some random adventure having nothing to do with the current storyline before they jump back into the actual story.

Adventure Time, while the main 'story' isn't always there or even always good (I thought the comet special was good up until Finn goes into space, then it got dull for me personally and kinda dumb). But their filler is always fun and there's small bits of continuity that really helps it live up to the ADVENTURE Time title.

Plus there's less jarring character development and better writing.

I think Rebecca Sugar should've pitched SU AFTER AT had finished it's run so some of those writers and animators could've worked on SU. They're basically the same feeling of show anyway.

Agreed and let's look at why a little bit.

Even when you're just following 'townies' of AT, it's still in the land of Ooo, this massive not entirely explored world with it's own rules and creatures, so even if they drop us on an as of yet unseen character, its still going to be a good time to see this character's life, what kind of creature they are, if they have powers what do they do, etc.

SU townies are just..all in Beach City, which is really dull in comparison. Sure, some are well written characters but if it doesn't involve Lars and Sadie, the townie episodes could exist in literally any other show. The best filler episodes for SU still involve him learning about gems, gem culture, and using his powers.

It's my problem with Star Vs. too. Sometimes the episode is "Star learns about X normal thing and it goes CA-RAZY!" it gets dull after awhile. But any episode involving some actual magic or stuff from Munie or other dimensions are fantastic.

It's a waste to focus too much about the familiar things for the viewer like school, or buying food, or shit like that when your plot is about magical creatures of any kind.

/thread

You are strong, child. But I am beyond strength.

AT at its best is better than SU at its best
AT at its worst is still better than SU at its worst

>not using the better version