What made him better than most other "retard who spouts random non-sequiturs" characters?

What made him better than most other "retard who spouts random non-sequiturs" characters?

Nothing, this show is overrated.

your nostalgia goggles

@93340564

True. I'm legitimately asking this question by the way, not trying to circlejerk

He was part of a 3-man mariachi band that would gallivant and bring life to an otherwise dull suburb

Ed was honestly that one kid who loved comics and horror movies so much that he wouldn't stop talking about it.

The fact that they weren't random and he had his own internal logic that you could understand if you payed attention.

>bottom left corner
Is this a breast expansion doujin?

>random non-sequiturs
You just need to be Edpilled to understand his wisdom.

I think we've all known kids like Ed who were seemingly lost to the world of fiction at all times. In his case, he has 'actually being a cartoon character' as a tool with which to cause havoc. Or pet chickens.

He was a vessel for God, everything he says is in fact the Lord spouting vague tidbits of arcane-knowledge unto the kids of the cul-de-sac.

At least that's how I interpret Ed.

He was a Chad.

Unlike a lot of "lol so random" characters, it actually felt like the writers thought about everything Ed did and said. Every single one of his gags and dialogue was planned and thought out.

Things like pic related dont come from a lazy writer going "lets make him do something random and funny!"

He's kind of like Karl Pilkington.
You may not always understand him, but most of what he says makes perfect sense if you think about it.
For example, in the first episode of An Idiot Abroad, Karl claims he doesn't want to go to China because he might eat a frog. Now, that wasn't the main issue. The issue was that he might eat the frog, like it, and not be able to get one back home.

Ed is basically that kid that would run around pretending to be a DBZ character

>overrated means it's bad

Fucking this. Everything Ed said was relevant to the situation at hand, even if it seemed weird taken out of context.

When Double D asks for a pen, Ed gives him a mustard bottle. When Eddy gets annoyed and tells Ed that Edd asked for a pen, Ed responds "He asked for mustard, Eddy. Do you have corn in your ears?". It sounds like it's completely irrelevant, but the scene shows that Ed was paying attention and that he complied with Double D's request for something to write with, even if it was in a way that nobody but Ed could get to.

This is very true. Ed is actually relevant to the plot unlike alot of random characters in fiction.

Didn't the mustard bottle have a pen in it? Its another layer on the joke.

A pencil, but yes. That's my point, Ed paid attention to what Double D wanted, but if you took it completely out of context it'd look like Ed was just being random for no reason.

Yup. Ed worked because despite his stupid lines, they at least kept it in line with what's happening. The joke is that his logic goes in the wrong direction.

>he complied with Double D's request for something to write with

Wow I didn't actually think about that
Danny is a genius

-His character and "appeal" wasn't solely focused on "Hurr, he's so dumb!"

-He seems more detached from reality than completely stupid.

-The stuff he said wasn't completely random since most of it was related to him or some outlandish interpretation of the situation/subject/object.

To me he seems just generally slow.

Your dick is overrated.

The fact that he is not randum
He just did things in his own way that others wouldn't understand but made sense non the less and that's what made him funny.

>the LE OVERRATED reason again

this meme will never end.

>Gets praise that is well deserved.
>Overrated.

THE SCHOOL WILL TELL SARAH

How can that be!? It's never BEEN rated.

AND SARAH WILL TELL MOM

AND MOM WILL TELL DAD

Maybe because it's a great and useful meme?

AND DAD WILL JUST SIT THERE AND WATCH TV

He had character besides being a retard who says dumb stuff.
And his comedy worked because it wasn't random for randomness sake, he had his own logic and thought process behind his decisions. Even if that logic is absurd and flawed, the fact that it's there makes it funnier.
He's like the Soldier from TF2 in that regard

Real talk

When the fuck is Pebble in Shoe Ed going to get a godamn nerf? EEnE Online has been pretty alright with it's balancing this season but they absolutely refuse to do anything how this fucks Health regen, or the pure unadulterated damage output.

France is literally right there Karl.

alternately
>SARAH WILL TELL MOM AND MOM WILL TELL DAD AND DAD WILL SAY "NOT NOW I JUST GOT HOME FROM WORK!"

Because he's a nice guy. Most of the time he genuinely means well, and he likes his friends. A lot of other dumb characters also have a secondary trait of being a selfish prick (Billy, Cheese, GIR, etc.). Being dumb only serves to make them more obnoxious, but in Ed's case it makes him more endearing.

>everyone rates Ed
He was good but best character from the show that no one talks about for whatever fucking reason

>based plank always had the banter

That's how it was meant to be user. Git gud
>he doesn't use plank to correctly counter pebble in shoe ed

exactly, look at how ed gets past a gate. even though he just saw eddy jump over it and edd open it. he takes what's actually the most direct route and goes through the hole, which is something that the other two most likely didn't even consider but is technically the fastest way to do it.

>he didn't just walk through it, taking the entire fence with him like he would normally do
You're a nice guy ed

>Jonny
>best character from the show
Pick fucking one

But I don't wanna use a Plank user. Either I'd have to completely respec my Rolf to be tooled towards item use with as an Urban Ranger, or I'd have to start over as a fucking Johnny.

We're talking about the guy who's idea of a vacation is to take Susan to a B&B, walk around the parking lot, and play a traditional but rousing game of "Let's Go See How Old The Dead People Are"
I doubt he'd go to France for some frog legs.
Come to think of it, why did he never go to France on the shows?

It's been said before but I really like how in this scene all 3 of them get through a door differently and the way they do it perfectly sums up their personalities.

Eddy immediately hops over the door to get to the other side, without even bothering to check to see if it was locked (and it wasn't). And he's a character who's all about taking shortcuts and cheating to get things done, even if it takes more work to do so.

Edd takes the clean route of opening the door like a normal person, but when he leaves, he closes behind him. He's neat and logical but also incredibly meticulous with organization. Again, this also prevents him from doing things the easier way. He could just left the door open, but he had to leave it exactly as he found it.

And Ed is taking literally the most direct route possible, the one that no one would consider because it's completely nonsensical. He's the most straight forward of the bunch and that's how it works for him.

This is the kind of thing that made the show special, imo

Probably not weird enough for Karl. Hell, he's probably been there before and Ricky was all about pushing his comfort zone.

This. He can both provide comic relief and move the plot along

Fuck you

He's not retarded. His brain is just occupying two universes at once.

He was only likeable in the first few seasons.

because he didnt spout random non-sequiturs, he had his own internal logic.

Unlike ice bear, he wasn't a forced meme

Underage please leave

Eh, the newer version was funnier.

Have any other moments like these you know off the top of your head? I never noticed how well thought out that tiny scene was.

That episode where he got two jawbreakers sure it took him sometime to figure out the issue with the numbers but once he realized it he was willing to give his jawbreakers to Eddy and Edd without even a second thought that's a true friend.

What episode was this?

I wanna say the free jawbreaker episode

I think partially it's because how down-to-earth the show was. When you have the characters saving the world or whatnot every second episode the retard character feels much more out of place and annoying than when you just have a bunch of kids messing around.

Danny Antonucci was called a perfectionist by the cast, he literally had Eddy's VA on set for many hours just to record ONE line because he wanted it right, it was only a few words too.

Such a banal reply causing all this butthurt, I love it.

Ed is probably one of the nicest character in this show.
also he was less depicted as dumb on the first seasons, sometimes he even said clever sarcastic comments.
he's just too much focused on fictional worlds.

>He's like the Soldier from TF2 in that regard

you do have a point here, when you actually elaborate on the absurdity of a character it becomes so much better

I actually read that despite the constant non-sequiturs, Antonucci was really adamant about never letting ANY of the voice actors put in ad-libs, for some reason.

The stuff he said actually landed well and was funny. It wasn't trying to force memes like the new PowerpPuff girls, for example.