Watchmen TV Series Reportedly in the Works From Lindelof, HBO

>A television adaptation of Watchmen, the seminal 1986 DC Comics miniseries by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons, is reportedly in early development at HBO. Damon Lindelof (Lost, The Leftovers) is in talks to steer the project.

cbr.com/watchmen-tv-lindelof-hbo/?utm_source=CBR-TW&utm_medium=Social-Distribution&utm_campaign=CBR-TW&view=list

Other urls found in this thread:

cbr.com/watchmen-r-rated-animated-movie/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Damon Lindelof

yawn

Lindlof's biggest problem is writing a satisfying plot... but making compelling characters / themes. Since the plot of Watchmen is mapped out for him ahead of time, there's hope the show can be good.

You joke, but I honestly think his involvement could be a positive. I bet this series could wind up being better than the movie, insofar as it may actually engage the themes of the story rather than simply copying the imagery soullessly like Snyder did.

If he bothers following anything from the book.

>they kicked Zack Snyder off
Kek

>Damon Lindelof
FUCKING FUCK

In all seriousness, how can they improve on Snyder? Yeah he may have fumbled the ending and some music choices, and the movie might have been stiff, but it was really accurate to the comic for the most part. If they change the costumes to distance themselves, people will get mad. If they add a twist or change some plot detail, people will get mad. Where are they gonna get extra content for a whole series, Before Watchmen?!?

I don't really buy this rumor. Especially since it keeps popping up every few years.

>based lindelof coming off of the leftovers
>no snyder
>HBO
welp, take my fuckin money.

At this point I wish watchmen had never been written.

It's so overdone.

...Ever get the feeling we're milking comics dry?

I still don't understand the purpose of President Kevin.

lets worry about it later.

Just leave it alone for fucks sake, who even wants that? It's not even popular enough among the general public to justify milking it.

You must have not finished Leftovers.

The leftovers is the best show this season though

Eww, watchmen

I remember watching the first season of Lost and enjoying it. I watched the first episode of the second season and it suddenly struck me: this guy doesn't know what he's doing, so I stopped watching. He proceeded to help ruin the Alien franchise, something I cared about. I'm glad I've lost interest in Watchmen.

Fucking HOW?

Is it gonna be animated

cbr.com/watchmen-r-rated-animated-movie/

MOORE'S
GONNA
FREAK

Even better

fuck him, he still bitching about Margaret Thatcher.

That's a different project I guess

The sooner that teat is empty the better, as far as Sup Forums adaptations go. Can't wait for them to start flopping so Sup Forums can actually get back to being about comics and cartoons.

You've now got me wondering how Moore voted in the EU Referendum.

This. There's no need for this.

More spotlight to hooded justice please

I'd be surprised if he even voted.

If you're not doing Before Watchmen, why?

And if you're doing Before Watchmen, why?

Nothing about this makes sense.

Yeah that's a different proyect that is targeted towards the Direct to DVD crowd that buys DC comics animated adaptations, as a cashgrab that one is a no brainer since it has only it's own niche to please, maybe we'll have an straight forward adaptation like The Dark Knight Returns movie

could have left the project on his own term because of his daughter's death

Lost is awesome you retard. No show has its entire 6 season story mapped out from the beginning, every writer makes it up as he goes along.

>Watchmen TV series reportedly in the works
>In other, unrelated news, Alan Moore was seen at a local Army Surpluss store and was seen carrying vast amounts of ammunition.

So, is "Pissing Off Alan Moore" WB's new favourite pass-time?

Babylon 5 called. You're a fool.

When your show is predicated on the concept of a bunch of mysteries it's best that those mysteries have concrete fucking answers.

Alan Moore has been given ample amount of chances to get his work back. He refuses every time just to continue to worship his snake statue and bitch about politicians who aren't even alive anymore.

>Snyder is no longer involved
Nice.

If they're wise, they'll abandon any attemp to please the fans of the comic - because, as you pointed out, it's an impossible task - and just try to make the best story they can with the comic as the basis.

Your daily reminder that Sup Forums has absolutely zero taste.

At least he just tells the publishers to give his money to the artists. Or in the case of Miracleman to the family of the original creator because the character was stolen.

WEll, he is white, old, racist and a misogynistic shitlord, so whta do you think???

To be honest, after every non comic book reader watched the movie, the plot twist is not a surprise anymore, so chances are that, as you said, they are going to adapt Before Watchmen or "expanded universe" stories in the same vein.

... in exchange for sequels he doesn't want to write. You said that like DC was trying to be nice to him. They weren't, they need him to have sequels at all for legal reasons. That's why on their own they could only make Before Watchmen

Against leaving the EU, i think. There's a video around of him rapping about the idiocy of the opposite side if I'm not mistaken. Something about a nation of baboons

Look, I need to stress again: Snyder's Watchmen is TRASH. Sure it copies certain shots panel for panel, but it's all surface imagery. Snyder doesn't fucking understand the core elements of Watchmen, so they're not in his movie. That's why he didn't have any problem changing the plot twist, because he doesn't ultimately get it. Snyder's Watchmen is the movie equivalent of a monk in the Middle Ages dutifully copying some work of Ancient Greek philosophy word for word without actually understanding any of it.

Lindelof isn't exactly the greatest in Hollywood but at least I think he might be smart enough to understand the thrust of the comic, and so translate that more faithfully onto the screen.

I understand that his daughter An Heroed, but i am so happy he is no longer a part of this. He is a man that quite clearly isn't good at capeshit, trying to make capeshit, whilst being embarrased that these films are in the capeshit genre.

Why is Alan Moore more anal about people adapting his comics than other writers?

Alan's situation was "I'll give you a million bucks to fuck a fat chick." They were going to do it regardless if they had his "blessings" or not. Not like it would tarnish his life's work. People still like the Original trilogy despite the prequels being shit.

Some people tried to accuse him of using black face, even though it was a mandrill so really it was red and blue face.

...sophistry.
The word you're looking for is 'Sophistry'.

Because the company that promised they wouldn't fuck him over like his old partners fucked him over

The mysteries aren't m the most important part of the show.

Great, the Leftovers and LOST are my two favourite TV shows of all time, Mad Men being the third.

I'm hype.

So can someone who doesn't like the movie explain how the plot twist is bad? As someone who's read both there's no real difference between pretending aliens destroyed a city and pretending Manhattan did it. It all comes to the same conclusions from the same motives and the same reactions from characters, so how is it "ruined"?

>there's no real difference between pretending aliens destroyed a city and pretending Manhattan did it

Except Manhattan was an American superhero so if the Soviets really believed they were under attack by him wouldn't their knee jerk response be retaliation? Not to pick up the phone after millions of deaths call Dick and ask if he was responsible?

The fact that Ozymandias would even take the risk of that highly likely scenario makes his whole plan even more stupid. Also in the movie he comes off more like a villain and less like a hero who truly believes he's making the right choice

HBO miniseries could work if it just fucking sticks to the script.

Yeah I guess I didn't consider that. Didn't he blow up a shitload of other places like London and stuff though? I'm sure even in wartime there wouldn't be a country dumb enough to instantly slap the big red button the second they get attacked. Even if they did fire at America, it's probably still considered part of the "sacrifice for the greater good". I'm still not a huge fan of giant psychic alien but I guess it does avoid that admittedly huge plot hole.

Yes they were. It's what kept people interested.

I'd say 12 episodes is all it would take.

One of the ironies of the comic is that as they get closer to Veidt things start getting crazier and crazier. The whole story is so grounded we forgot villains could be more than just an idiot with pointy ears and a tumor. So here comes Veidt, sporting a genetically engineered mutant tiger like it's anything normal, talking about how he created a telepathic alien to make the planet believe an invasion was coming. It's absurd, right? It should be

The bullet scene is very emblematic in such case. Veidt was called a man so smart and strong, he could catch a flying bullet with his bare hands! But that's impossible, he's not superhuman. Yet he manages, no explanation given

Enter the movie: Veidt now has a bulletproof glove because otherwise it doesn't make sense. But it didn't need to make sense, that whole situation was representing in a literal manner what the entire story was saying, that these characters just don't fit the reality presented. Or maybe it's better to say they can't save it despite all of these marvelous happenings

That's what the Comedian realized, partially, the absurdity of the alien plan is what drove him off the edge. But in the movie's reality all he found was the weird correspondent of a nuke, so his breakdown makes a little less sense.

And speaking of making sense, some fans praise the changes because "they make more sense", because a Manhattan attack is more realistic than an alien invasion, thus the peace coming from that is also more realistic and thus durable. But the peace was never meant to be durable. Manhattan himself says the peace wasn't going to stick, "nothing ever ends", so i don't see the reason why anybody would feel the need to make more sense of the already pointless peace. And that's ignoring the points of this user , the alien invasion arguably does make more sense because it's the one thing that would force humanity as a whole to adapt the "us vs. them" logic, aliens have no political affiliation

It didn't fit in this post, but i wanted to point out that i wouldn't be as harsh and "autistic" about this adaptation if it wasn't for the fanboys claiming it to be literally perfect, forcing me and others to articulate so much why that's wrong

Shouldn't Veidt just become god emperor of the world with his super genius?

faggot

You are a fucking idiot. Lost season two was before it began to get messy and the first episode of that season is excellent.

the movie engaged with the themes pretty well my dude, if anything making Manhattan the bomb instead of the squid further plays into the nuclear Armageddon/cold war themes because it makes it a direct result of the nuclear arms race.

>inb4 b-but it would be an attack from America!!!

No it wouldnt. America was attacked too.

to show that Kevin was the one creating the other place/keeping the other place alive. He had the power to be with his family the entire time.

>HBO
At least it'll look pretty.

>In all seriousness, how can they improve on Snyder?
Give the slightest fuck about performances. There were good performances from people who didn't need strong direction, and shit. Besides that, a series format would allow a lot of the story to breath more, and a lower budget might stop them from going full kung fu action scene for moments where it's tonally wrong.

>No it wouldnt. America was attacked too.

No one would give a shit until all the nukes are gone

source where the bullet glove comes from, because I dont remember it in the movie.

Also I dont see anyone saying the Manhattan thing creates a more lasting peace. If anything its a more unstable peace because Manhattan is American.

You really stretched there to make a point/

what are you even trying to say

>lindelof

HAHAHAH

If the weapon that America used to instill fear to other nations went rogue and is fucking everything up you damn well know everyone would blame America.

I like this analysis.

>Not like it would tarnish his life's work. People still like the Original trilogy despite the prequels being shit.
Yeah, but their opinion of GEORGE LUCAS is much lower. His work survives, but his legacy is tarnished by the prequels being trash.

Damn, you noticed by s02e01? You way ahead of the pack, bro. It took me until S03 or so. I remember the episode. It was when they Sawyer and Kate fucked in that cage. That's when I knew I was watching bullshit.

when will these fucks just let watchmen rest ?

it was a good comic but now they're just beating a dead horse

the second russia is attacked by an american with military associations, especially an attack of that magnitude, the nukes would be flying at the US the second someone could turn the key.

nah, the whole world is attacked at once and Manhattan was basically shamed by the American public on national television and ran away to Mars.

Nice headcanon though.

see

if that were the case they would have already dropped nukes on America when they used Manhattan in Vietnam or any of the other proxy wars.

Its the same reason/conceit that the world doesnt attack America every time the JSA do anything international, despite the JSA being on the frontlines in WW2.

That's part of the point of the comic. With all the intellect that he's supposed to have, he's no better than the typical comic book villain with a silly plan.
The whole comic is about the contrast between reality and fantasy, and how reality always ends up creeping in. It's a bittersweet comic, just like growing up is bittersweet. At some point you have to let go of your childhood fantasies or you'll end up like the main characters of Watchmen, who were either delusional, psychopaths, immature or everything at once.

>At some point you have to let go of your childhood fantasies or you'll end up like the main characters of Watchmen, who were either delusional, psychopaths, immature or everything at once.

And now we get to why people have started to turn on it.

do you not understand what proxy war means?

yeah, pretty good cover if you're gonna attack your biggest rivals wouldn't you say

im saying they would have nuked Manhattan IN one of the proxy wars if that was going to be the case.

Manhattan and Americans*

Would it be weird if they got Jackie back for Rorschach? I'm not actually sure if he'd want to do it to be honest, some shots would probably feel exactly the same.

Even if Manhattan was already in Mars, you can bet that if America's #1 weapon for years starts fucking shit up, it won't create world peace but an overwhelming sense of animosity towards those who created the fucking thing in the first place.
They didn't drop bombs before because they were afraid of Manhattan. Ozy's plan is basically doing the same shit America had been doing for years, and that didn't cause world peace, why would he think it was gonna work different then?
The giant squid, besides all the implications that were already pointed out in this very thread, makes more sense plot wise because humanity would join against an alien threat that they can't blame on each other. That is not the case of Manhattan at all. Not to mention all the other inconsistencies it causes, like the pointless presence of Bubastis and the inexplicable breakdown of The Comedian.

>But the peace was never meant to be durable.
This is my favorite panel in the book, his arms in the shape of the doomsday clock. He didn't stop the clock, he set it back a minute or two.

>Watchmen was a masterpiece and for a while it was left alone
>a bunch of idiot comic writers thought the reason people liked Watchmen was because it was dark and gritty
>comics become dark and gritty and everything has to be watchmen esque
>everything is shit, but at least Watchmen is left alone
>DC launches Before Watchmen series
>oh no
>Snyder Watchmen
>why
>Dr. Manhattan is now in the DC universe
>dear god how can this get worse
>HBO announces Watchmen series

So how many episodes in till we see Veidt fucking a dude in the butt?

>his arms in the shape of the doomsday clock
Fuck. Is that something you noticed or is it one of those details Gibbons points out in Watching the Watchmen?

Once in every episode and each time there's a different guy.

I think it's something someone on Sup Forums pointed out to me. My first time reading I wasn't even looking for imagery, which was bad on my part.

Jesus CHRIST I literally just finished the Leftovers today, fucking fantastic show that is so different from everything else. Lindelof seriously learned all the right things and dropped all the wrong things from LOST. He truly grew as a creator.

Am PUMPED for this, let's hope it actually happens.

watchmen is such a fucking good comic though

It's the perfect graphic novel that serves as a solid commentary of its time and art form. As cinematic as the book feels I think to much is going to be lost adding motion to it. So much of the story is hinged upon the ambiguity of the action in between the panels. I hope it'll be good and it probably will be, but the best we can hope for is a watered down version of a 30 year old story.