Bleeding Cool is receiving reliably sourced information about a new Fantastic Four movie being developed at Fox Studios...

>Bleeding Cool is receiving reliably sourced information about a new Fantastic Four movie being developed at Fox Studios. And while the most recent movie reinvented the Fantastic Four as youngsters, along the lines of the Ultimate Fantastic Four comic book, the movie swings to the other end of the spectrum. Instead, it will concentrate on Franklin and Valeria, the children of Reed Richards and Susan Storm. While still having the Thing and the Human Torch along for the ride.

>Indeed, the whole movie will be kid-centric with a vibe far more reminiscent of The Incredibles. In an instant, this will totally separate the movie from the previous failed attempt. But also mean there’s no actual need for a reboot. And, yes, we know this is full of generics. So how about something specific? Go on then.

>The current draft of the proposed new Fantastic Four movie is written by Seth Grahame-Smith.

>He is best known as the author (okay, co-author) of the novel Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, as well as Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter, both of which have been adapted as movies. Grahame-Smith is also the co-creator, head writer and executive producer of The Hard Times of RJ Berger, a TV comedy series on MTV.

>But he also did some script polishing on the Josh Trank movie.

>He has some Marvel comic book chops too — he wrote The Spider-Man Handbook: The Ultimate Training Manual, an examination of Marvel Comics’ Spider-Man, with an introduction by Stan Lee. And the Hulk issue of Marvel Zombies Return with artist Richard Elson.

bleedingcool.com/2017/06/20/new-fantastic-four-movie-fox-kids-rumours/

youtube.com/watch?v=OC7lz286GqA

Other urls found in this thread:

law.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/FSupp2/155/1/2365871/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>As part of the deal done during Marvel’s bankruptcy in the nineties, Fox Studios have the license to make Fantastic Four movies as long as they keep doing so. This is something that has caused the current Marvel executives considerable displeasure, to the extent that they cancelled the Fantastic Four comic books, and licensing for T-shirts, posters, calendars, toys, games, cards and statues as a result.

>I get the feeling that this isn’t going to make them any happier.

It sounds perfectly fun and fine.

The concept's not bad but it's Fox that I'm more worried about based on their track record.

How is this news? Of course Fox wants to try again with Fantastic Four or they'll have to give it to Disney after 2022. They dont care if these movies keep flopping as long as they can spite the Mouse.

>They dont care if these movies keep flopping as long as they can spite the Mouse.

I highly doubt spite has anything to do with it, but I'm not sure why they would hold on to FF after they've lost so much money on it.

THEY CAN'T KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH IT !
Just give the rights back to Marvel Studios for fuck sake, i want a good F4 movie for once.

>Marvel made movie character rights deals with FOX for GotG2 and DP
>Marvel is bringing back the FF comic soon after cancelling it to hurt Fant4stic

I'm not saying it's happening but with the MCU going cosmic soon it's a possibility and I hope it does happen

>not young, not origin
Nice.
>focused on Franklin and Val
Ahhh, fuck! I hate these little shits!

>>OP uses the video I posted in the last thread.

I feel so proud.

Because preventing competition from making money is almost as valuable as making money. Business 102.

>>It's like the Incredibles
>>"I CAN'T WAIT FOR DR. DOOM TO STEAL ALL THE TURBO MAN FIGURES!"
...has he even seen the Incredibles?

Marvel F4 movie would be Stark trash

Reminder that he's only in homecoming because Sony explicitly negotiated for him to be in it.

>>Bleeding Cool is receiving reliably sourced information about

I don't even care at this point. It'll feel soulless, and even if Marvel would get the rights back they'd only want it for things like Galactus anyway. The comics wouldn't be good, the movies aren't going to be good. Why does anyone care anymore?

>FU*K YOU!
Why do Youtube folks do this?

Not losing money is also more valuable than preventing competition from making money.

I don't really get what the issue w/ MGTOW is or why you'd characterize them as losers

I'm a successful attorney making $400 per day, am top 5% physical fitness (placed top 3 in marathons, bench 70 lbs over bodyweight, ripped abs and lean muscle), charming & charismatic, have slept w/ dozens of women, in a loving long-term relationship right now... and I respect the hell out of MGTOW, they're realistic about their circumstances and have taken a rational approach to coping with them

You guys seem envious that they have the fortitude to just walk away from it all ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Why waste money on a brand that isn't that strong? Just let it go. You've tried twice. Develop your X-men universe which has been successful.

56 million dollars for the last reboot. By 2019 or whenever they release it, there's going to be even less interest as DC and Marvel are pumping out two to three movies a year. Just sell it to Marvel and get some money back. I do not understand their mentality.

I'm fairly certain that Sony is a Japanese plot to degrade Western civilization. That is the only reason I can think of for The Emoji Movie.

>they'll have to give it to Disney after 2022
Is that the deadline? I heard it was if they let the franchise sit for 10 years it instantly goes to Disney.

>Why do Youtube folks do this?
Because if they have "FUCK" in the title uncensored, YouTube removes the video from getting advertisement bucks, hence less money for the Youtuber.

>, Fox Studios have the license to make Fantastic Four movies
Okay, so, here's the thing I don't get about all of this.

Marvel licensed the movie rights out to FOX for Fantastic Four and X-Men, but they still own the legal rights to the characters, meaning that only FOX can make movies and TV shows containing these characters. Okay. But since Marvel still owns the legal rights to these characters, they still get some chunk of money from whatever happens with them. So, why is Marvel not promoting these characters more and shooting themselves in the foot by not having them out there? They're still getting money. Is it because Marvel is a bunch of selfish assholes who want all the movie money for themselves? This embargo just doesn't make any sense to me at all.

Wow, a movie about the least devolp characters in Marvel's entire catalog, and without my favorite characters in comic books.
T-Thanks fox

Then why not just use a word other than "fuck"?

4th fantastic 4 attempt. Trashtastic 4

It'll be full of weak quips and still none of them will manage to be as lazy as that.

fuck off Armin

It's because they don't want to be associated with shit movies and complete creative control on those liscensed characters.

Have you seen the last Fantastic 4 movie? It was god awful. If I was Marvel I'd do my best to not associate with movies that are being made with the soul purpose of wasting money to keep film rights

goddamnit fox

Make the Movie about Dr. Doom and Valeria

Like send her through a universal portal or something to a time when Dr. Doom rules.

Start the movie with the Fantastic 4 and Dr. Doom getting attacked by the Dark Rider.

This is your reminder that Fox offered Marvel to buy back the rights to the FF after the Rise of the Silver Surfer flopped, but Ike "the Kike" Perlmutter refused the offer, citing the idea that if they waited a while, Fox would make them a much lower offer and they could buy the rights back cheaper.

Eh, every year they keep on holding it means that they can raise the sum Disney will have to hand over to get the license.

Such as it is, they only lose if they let go of the rights for free.

>soul purpose

>It's because they don't want to be associated with shit movies

But shit comics are fine, because nobody reads comics.

>Fox literally has no fucking idea what to do with the FF IP

That's probably what's going to happen anyway. The question is only when.

>I'm not sure why they would hold on to FF after they've lost so much money on it.
... spite.

For F4, they have to start principle filming within 7 years. That's why Trank's was so rushed because they were coming up on the deadline in mere months and had to get it going ASAP. Once principle filming starts then they have more leeway since Disney can't shut the production down midway through if they can give viable proof that they're using the IP.

>Bleeding Cool is receiving reliably sourced information about a new Fantastic Four movie being developed at Fox Studios

No, Bleeding Cool is not.

Here's how we know:

Bleeding Cool is run by Rich Johnston. It's owned by Avatar Press, who are based out of Illinois, about midway from Chicago, Indianapolis and St. Louis. Not a place known for its Hollywood connections; in other words, Avatar is a decentralized hub business organized out of some guy's garage. Nobody works there; it's not a going concern.

BC itself isn't run out of anywhere; it's mostly just Rich and whoever else he can rope in to his never-ending trainwreck of self-promotion. At one point he may have lived in the US, but green cards being what they are and taxes (which Bleeding Cool has failed to pay in the past) being what they are, Rich actually lives in "London", which is probably code for "Slough" or "Swindon". One of the really grubby but larger and therefore better-served dormitory towns surrounding London.

Because if Avatar were even in New York, there'd be some chance of this being true; Marvel Comics is, after all, still based in NY. He could be talking to people there on the regular. Getting to know them, building personal relationships. But not from "London".

Of course if he were in North London, or specifically in those parts of Hertfordshire that comprise the remainder of the UK's film production (outside of Salford and Bristol, which are definitely not in London), it would also be credible. Those are incredibly simple operations to infiltrate and learn about; you just have to hang around in the local entertainment venues and you'll get to know people who know things. Get them to trust you and you're in, rumor city, clickbait ahoy.

But he's not. He'd say if he were.

He'd have us believe that he's super pals with someone in LA, where FOX are based, and that they care enough to hand over this kind of info. Except... nobody would. Someone's taking him for a ride.

>It's a Fox makes an awful FF movie episode

You'd think that, but no it isn't. You have no idea how nonsensical brokers (and therefor shareholders and executives) are.

Because it makes teenagers click on it.

sure they do. keep making movies about them so Marvel can't.

Sounds like a plan.

I do, and at the same time, I also know they don't want to lose a vast amount of money.

Like do you really think Fant4stic was done because they thought "Let's throw away $125+ million dollars to spite Marvel"? They picked Trank because Chronicle was done at a low budget and he was a rising star. At the time they hired him I don't think anyone expected the clusterfuck that happened. If they didn't care about burning money they wouldn't have done all the damage control they did that year.

They don't want those shitty movies hurting their brand and they don't want to give Fox any material to make movies hence why the comics are gone.

They already make bank with the MCU.

Damn near everything in MCU is the product of Stark or involves him in some way.

I don't really think that's going to happen. Back then, big F4 villains like Doom and Galactus weren't the big bargaining chips they were back then.

>Marvel licensed the movie rights out to FOX for Fantastic Four and X-Men, but they still own the legal rights to the characters,

Marvel owns the IP itself, not the right to make movies or tv shows about them, which is what FOX has temporarily acquired.

>meaning that only FOX can make movies and TV shows containing these characters.

Correct, except that it appears when FOX originally bought the "X-Men" rights, they were actually buying a specific team under the X-Men brand and didn't understand that, and so unwittingly/witlessly infringed on Marvel's rights by using other characters.

law.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/FSupp2/155/1/2365871/

>Okay. But since Marvel still owns the legal rights to these characters, they still get some chunk of money from whatever happens with them.

They get a chunk of the production budget, probably defined in percentage/absolute figure terms, whichever is the higher. This is put down as "story rights" in most budgets, and is paid regardless of whether the movie makes money.

>So, why is Marvel not promoting these characters more and shooting themselves in the foot by not having them out there?

Because they get a relatively small lump sum, not a percentage of the gross; and because merchandise rights pertaining to the movies/tv shows created will rest with FOX, not Marvel. Marvel can continued to merchandise other versions, but gets nothing from action figures of Trankt4stic.

>selfish assholes who want all the movie money

Marvel doesn't get any of the movie money. If anything, they were the only ones who profited from the Trank movie, because their money was paid up front from the production budget, per the usual contractual arrangement.

When you see a headline figure and it says "movie rights sold for $XX million", it doesn't mean that money has been paid out; it means that if the movie is made, that full amount will be paid out.

>This embargo just doesn't make any sense to me at all

There's no embargo except in Rich's mind.

Further, movies and tv shows definitively haven't affected comic book sales; since Marvel isn't able to make any money from the movie merch of other companies, it makes no sense for them to promote those movies, especially if that means a lost sale of their own merch based on the same IP.

If you look at the way Fantastic Four (2015) performed in theaters, it looks bad, right? And it is, but bear with me.

It sold something like 750,000 blurays and dvds (split evenly between formats) in the domestic market. Never mind the box office (which was markedly higher and implies it was seen by as many as 6.6 million souls in the US alone), that's 750,000 potential fans of the comics.

If there were any chance that they were buying comics, buying non-FOX merch, Marvel would be pushing FF so hard despite the shitty movie you'd never hear the end of it. They certainly wouldn't have had their book cancelled in 201.

In fact if you look at Marvel's offerings - right through 2015 and 2016 they were pumping out collected editions of older FF titles. They sold a thousand or less each; but collected editions are the most likely point of entry to the comic book market for casual readers, as they allow you to read 6 months or more of story in a single volume, without the waiting around to decide if you like it.

1,000 or less, from an audience that at the low end, by FOX's sales, should have been 750,000. 1/750, if we even believe that's where they came from (protip: they didn't, they're pre-existing readers).

FOX has killed the franchise and it's not like the floppies have sold that well over the years. It's a little rest and they'll be back (and Rich will hype it up as some climbdown from an imaginary position he thinks Marvel took).

tl;dr complex things have complex explanations

I think they double-dared Marvel to buy the rights back with a shitty sounding idea, then took their brinkmanship too far and whoever was rubber-stamping finance just said "sure OK whatever that just sounds like Chronicle 2 with bigger name superheroes" and it got financed.

At that stage you can't back down; it's almost as expensive to pay off the cast and crew once finance is locked in as it is to make the movie; so you make it and hope for the best.

I'm actually fine with this, I've been waiting for real life MILF Sue my whole life.

>Like do you really think Fant4stic was done because they thought "Let's throw away $125+ million dollars to spite Marvel"?
Sort of, more like "if we throw away 125 millions it's probably 800 millions Disney doesn't make". Of course they hope it makes money, but the benefit of fucking over the competition is already pretty good. Reminder that they literally made an F4 movie in the past without releasing it solely for that reason.
>If they didn't care about burning money they wouldn't have done all the damage control they did that year.
You don't TELL people you're basically poisoning the well.

>the amount of susan/doom fanfiction that will be spawned from this

So just like Marvel then?

are they mutants in this

if they are mutants i'll watch

>the whole movie will be kid-centric with a vibe far more reminiscent of The Incredibles.

Don't wanna be that guy but Incredibles was more mature and "adult" than like 99% of cape movies and the entire MCU.

>Don't wanna be that guy
You know very well that you do want to be that guy.

YOU'RE FUCKING RIGHT I DID AND I DO.

THE GUY IS HERE.

implying Marvel could hurt Fant4stic anymore than it already hurt itself

Syndrome and Sinbad are easy to confuse.

Man and here I though the Dark Phoenix X-Men would be the worst upcoming cape movie I would hear about this week.