Modern Cartoons

Do you think they are better?

I didn't really have cable at the time, was 2005 - 009 really that bad?

Why aren't there any Man of Action cartoons on either side?

What do you think?

Early-ish CN was somewhat of a golden age. It was well funded and heavily curated and there was still some forgettable shit that flew under the radar. Comparing that to any other point isn't really fair.

The modern cartoon landscape is a hell of a lot better than it was 5 years ago anyway. Lots of passion projects by driven teams, less manufactured grossout lowest-common-denominator shit for autistic children.

Those are good~great but not best lol

As a kid that can't get past my love for 80's and 90's nostalgia, there are days like today where I must admit that the cartoons that came after the Adventure Time animu-influenced revolution, I believe are some of the sleekest, coolest cartoons to ever exist. They may not have the same level of charm, but I respect them fully and believe they are great cartoons. In fact, I'm starting to think content-wise, genre-wise, modern cartoons are becoming superior. But technique wise, that might never surpass the classics I love because those old talents were just too damn good in comparison to today's digital talents.

What modern shows are superior?

Not him, but I've found only one modern cartoon that can compete with the classics.

Stuff like Over the Garden Wall, Young Justice, and Adventure Time.

OTGW is decent but overrated. YJ and AT are both trash, if for somewhat different reasons.

Your too picky then. What about Gumball? That's such a wonderful cartoon.

Not him but you have some serious shit-taste.

The only pre-2010 cartoon I find myself watching is Samurai Jack, which is mostly thanks to the 2017 revival, so I'm on the side of modern. Then again I do love Simpsons seasons 1-11 and have strong nostalgia for Spongebob seasons 1-3

Holy shit, yes yes and more yes.

STOP POSTING THIS YOU FUCKING FAGGOTS

I grew up with the classic lineup and a lot of 80s reruns since we had cable, so I guess I'm a bit biased, but I really do think most modern cartoons blow shit. I'm not saying my generation's were perfect either, but I feel the bar was a lot higher back then. Not one of the cartoons on the right is even close to as funny as an episode of Dexter's for instance.

Well, it's subjective. I'm sure you like certain things I wouldn't think is that great either. Go back to /mlp/

Only modern AT is trash. The old ones were kinda good

Left side was more kick ass and crazy, a lot of it would get SJWs riled up in a frenzy or left literally shaking.
>Johnny Bravo hitting on girls
>PPG beating bad guys up
>weird/grotesque images from Courage and CownChicken
>E,EnE's fun schemes
>Dexter fighting in giant robots and having rivalries with mandark (Dexter also had that fucking weird hypnosis episode where he was in a diaper w/ lipstick and kissed a duck's ass)

90s CN also had more memorable moments imo,
>Johnny Bravo's HUAH when he strikes a pose + Do the monkey with me!
>Courage's The things I do for love. (the macaroni bit too)
>Random Dexter episodes with phrases repeated: Thats all you can say! Dexter's Secret, Omelette du Fromage
>Bill n Mandy's please pass the egg salad, that cheeseburger green elephant guy, Fredburger.

This was all pure goofy fun, more modern cartoons are a bit safer / lamer. All I can remember really is
>Adventure Time, Finn just screams ADVENTURE TIME
>Regular show OOOOOOOOOOO
>Steven Universe's bad songs but catchy intro

>a lot of it would get SJWs riled up in a frenzy or left literally shaking.
Oldschool PPG had an entire episode about them teaching a feminist supervillian that feminism isn't about hating men at all and doing so makes you a sexist and a hypocrite. They'd fucking crucify that show if it came out today.

>Random Dexter episodes with phrases repeated: Thats all you can say! Dexter's Secret, Omelette du Fromage
I keep forgetting how often they did this. There was that entire EPISODE where it was just repeating the tune of Mandark's laugh in every little thing, from the alarm clock to the revving of his school bus' engine, the Star Trek parody episode where the convention nerds were chanting "NRFB!" like a cult because the kid dressed as Bones opened a box with a doll in it, and probably dozens more.

NRFB

NEVER REMOVED FROM BOX

holy shit i just remembered that too lol

Modern cartoons are definitely very different and a lot less action-oriented but I do like the direction it's going by being more conscientious and weaving deeper themes than just: punch the bad guy. Regrettably alot of it is SJW bullshit but as much as i love Batman TAS, i don't think it ever blew me away with it's themes the way that Dungeon Train episode of Adventure Time did.

This.

Both sides are shit. Cartoons are a mistake.

Why does it have to be "sides"? Why do you have to make everything into a console war? Why can't people just like what they like while you like what you like?

Then what's Sup Forums for?

Because, just like political centrism, the middle ground is for opportunistic losers who want to play both sides. A show is either shit or it isn't.

Sup Forums didn't make the image 9gag did

2010-2015 Easily, alot of the other shows besides samurai jack and PPG weren't really that great. E,E&E being horrible as fuck for example with that shitty artstyle

this picture looks biased

>Cow and Chicken
>Mike Lu and Ogg
>Whatever happened to robot jones
>Sheep in the city
Wow this shit was legitimate garbage.

yes

I would extend the left to 2006 because shows like Justice League and Teen Titans were still around up until 2006

Huh, I actually think every cartoon on both sides is at least okay, most are pretty good. Uncle Grandpa is sort of meh, but not sure who the kid with the afro doing the flying kick next to him is.

Pic related, but not necessarily the only example.

The Batman yes
Samurai jack yes
Teen titans okay
The rest are mediocre

Yes. A thousand times yes.

There were some great shows, Avatar came out in 2005 for one, but they were more spaced out than during 2000-2004

Don't see what all the fags are saying "yes" for. All the good action cartoons came out between 2005 and 2010.

See above.

At least there was more of a variety in old CN.

>Megas XLR and Duck Dodgers
>mediocre
Well, that's one user's opinion not worth considering. One down, many to go.

Avatar is the last great cartoon of the early 2000s, you don't get to include that in your shit era.

>Sheep in the city
>garbage
I guess I shouldn't be surprised at your shit taste, you don't even know the correct title.

That's not how it works. You go by original airdate

I'm going by what the op image says

Laff-a-lympics 2 when?
>Modern era Team (Mascot: Jake)
>90's early 00's era Team (Mascot: Courage)
>Hanna Barbera age Team (Mascot: Scooby)

Bonus if they also have a Really Rottens with real villain characters.

But OP's image doesn't have Avatar?

Avatar is a mid-late 2000's cartoon, it's part of the same wave that brought stuff like Damny Phantom, Megas XLR, Ben 10, and near the end Tron Uprising, Batman BATB, and of course Sym-Bionic Titan.

>Avatar, Danny Phantom, Megas XLR
>Ben 10, Tron Uprising, Batman BATB, Sym-Bionic Titan
These are two completely different eras.

Avatar came out in the same year as ben 10

2005 was the year when Western animation died.
Avatar came out in early 2005, Ben 10 came out in (very) late 2005. The dividing line is in between.

The highlights of that age (good and bad):
>Camp Lazlo
>My Gym Partner's a Monkey
>Teen Titans
>Secret Saturdays
>Foster's
>later seasons of Kids Next Door, Ed Edd 'n' Eddy, and Billy and Mandy
>Flapjack
>Chowder
>Ben 10
>Tower Prep
>Out of Jimmy's Head
>Destroy Build Destroy

Make of this what you will.

I really wished CN did crossovers more often whether it be specials or simple bumpers like the CN City bumpers.

Maybe the upcoming Nicktoons crossover movie will make them realize there is a market for it. I'd love to see something like Super Secret Crisis War but as some kind of made for TV movie.

Teen titans and Fosters came out before 2005

Most of Foster's ran in that era ('04-'09). You're right about the Titans, though ('03-'06).
I forgot Total Drama and Johnny Test in my list.

the right. I am seriously in love with over the garden wall, clarence, and gumball. When I was a kid I didn't have cable, so the only time I would see the shows on the left was if I went to my tia's house and watched TV. I remember some of them fondly, but I don't remember being in love with them as much as I love the cartoons I'm watching currently.

>that episode of Uncle Grandpa where all the other cartoons are in the audience
>Steven Universe episode with Uncle Grandpa
goddamn those were great