Doomsday Clock

>Superman says some trite platitudes to Manhattan about hope and love
>Dr. Manhattan stops messing with the DC universe
Oh boy, exciting. Is there any real reason to get excited about this?

>Oh boy, exciting. Is there any real reason to get excited about this?

Yes. It won't get extra issues added to it like Secret Empire.

> I used to read about you when I was a boy.

>trite platitudes to Manhattan about hope and love
Go watch BvS again, OP. Seems more your tempo.

Don't mind if I do.

>Everyone is duped and in the final confrontation Manhattan says he did what he did to test the universe.
>needs help in stopping the leader of the Empty Hand, a being who promises to rob the soul from the universe and even his incredible abilities cannot stop him without soul.
>Real endgame is

That movie literally ends with Bruce talking trite platitudes about hope and love.

It's written by Johns so I'm prepared for the hype to not pay off. But the build-up will most likely be good.

If you're so jaded about comics, leave. Clearly they aren't for you anymore.

You didn't watch the movie.

Didn't he die in that one issue where Batman investigate the murder of Swamp Thing's father?

Reminds me of when Grant Morrison joined the Suicide Squad and was immediately killed.

Yes I did, it's literally at the end, at Clark's funeral. What the fuck, dude?

>Batman
>trite platitudes about love and hope
Excuse me? What next, Spider Robinson is going to conclude society isn't so bad after all?

Am I the only one bothered by the fact that the Watchmen comics exist in the DC universe?

>Reading any of Big 2 shit

>You know that watershed comic book that everybody fondly remembers for it's innovative manipulation of the medium's conventions, such as layouts? And its exploration of themes like the intuitively awful logical extensions of both utilitarianism and absolutism, man's illusion that our choices have any meaning in a universe of deterministic laws, and the cyclical and eternal nature of conflict? You know, the one that's also a deconstruction of the superhero genre, addressing the psychology behind the sort of person who would devote their life to beating up criminals for their own gratification, and the consequences of superpowered beings existing alongside the military-industrial complex?

>Why don't we turn that blue guy from it into our next Crisis crossover big bad because he's trying to eat the universe or something?

>And we can be just as deep as the original comic, too! You see, the comic was sad, and we want superheroes to be happy, even though we ourselves have been writing them as sad, so we're going to say that the blue guy is the bad influence making everybody sad. It's a metaphor!

B R A V O
R
A
V
O

Geoff "Cancer " Johns

Geoff "Our Saviour" Johns
ftfy

Been thinking something along these lines myself.

Johns has said Manhattan is less of a villain and more of a presence so it seems the more likely event.

And yeah he did.

That whole issue was a middle finger to Moore

Or when Morrison and Millar started their run by killing the bearded guy from the end of Moore's Swamp Thing.

You make a good point. If the casual takeaway from Watchmen wasn't that sad deconstruction of bright concepts is DEEEP and therefore good, I'd be more willing to take umbrage with the simplification of it in Doomsday Clock. Unfortunately, Watchmen is more often than not celebrated for it's tone than the way it revolutionized how the comic book medium could used as a storytelling vehicle. So because of that, fuck Watchmen. It like so many great stories of the 80's and 90's have been diluted down to 30 second elevator summaries of themselves for decades, and those simplifications have been deserving of a push back for at least a decade at this point. Want to provide a more nuanced discussion of why they are good? I would legitimately love to hear it, because I would argue that such a discussion would be one just this side of unicorn tier. For the people who love Watchmen because of HURM, blue penis jokes, and 35 minutes ago though? Fuck them. They deserve this.

the best thing about doomsday clock was how they crammed in some DKR

I hated BvS and Man of Steel. I like messages of hope in superhero media but my problem is that Johns has the subtlety of a hydrogen bomb so it'll be heavy handed and likely cringeworthy

I want them to be quality. Is that too much to ask?

No, you're not. The concept is creatively bankrupt, and it's not even a "muh sacred cow" thing.

Spot on

I'm excited for the train wreck and the shitposting

>Is there any real reason to get excited about this?
If you absolutely adore trite platitudes about hope and love like I do, yeah.

I never understood all the love Watchmen gets, I found enjoyable but nothing amazing.
Maybe it's a time thing, I read it the first time around 2010 or so.

Superman is seriously the stupidest character archetype. I have nothing against positive message, but they are just jerking a fucking caricature with this character. While Superman Beyond was OK, the ending of Final Crisis was outright embarrassing.

The recent merge was the final nail the coffin. Both superbro and superdad had their unique traits and depth that made the character interesting, but now he's back to his old self of blind hope and optimism.

>Superman saves the universe by talking instead of punching everything
>for a change since a long fucking time
>this is somehow bad
Kys pleb

>Calls the big 2 shit

>M-marvel

You company war faggots are patethic. This is why you will always be virgin.

>Both superbro and superdad had their unique traits and depth that made the character interesting, but now he's back to his old self of blind hope and optimism.
Like what exactly? Superbro was awful, the vast majority of his existence was spent in shitty stories "finding himself". Superdad is the Superman we've got now, literally nothing has changed, the merge was just an olive branch to Superbro fans that all his stories wouldn't get completely thrown out.

You don't have to a Marvelcuck to recognize Johns' weaknesses. The man can do marvelous build-up but he sucks at climaxes.

>middle finger

if that is your read on it, you are an idiot

>The man can do marvelous build-up but he sucks at climaxes.
Sounds a lot like Hickman.

You are a pleb if you think anything Johns has done is better than Watchmen.

But enjoying things is not the same as thinking they are good.

He is a retarded Johns fanboy that thinks anyone who thinks darkseid war was shit loves squirrel girl, the guy is autistic, just ignore him

I've honestly never read anything by Johns, but he can't be that bad, can he?

>someone is criticizing DC
>immediately pivot to complaining about Marvel
truly amazing

now add in the pictures of him brutally and carelessly killing a bunch of people.

I think people who say this just read the plot. You probably didn't even bother to note the themes, allegories, and symbolism in it

Stop defending Snyder

Or maybe he/she/it has a different opinion than Moore fags?

Fucking Sup Forumsmblr

Did I trigger you?

We can disagree about Snyder getting or not getting Watchmen's "point", but MOST of the actors he cast are now the voices I hear when reading the book.

He got it, thing is some retards don't understand that comics are not storyboards for movies. Movies need a different pace than monthly comics. I still don't understand how such a dumb YouTube video made so many retards cry over the action in the movie.

It's not for everyone I admit. Besides expectations may come into play. I don't know if it's your case but many people keep hearing so much praise for a thing they visualize a standard and when they finally read/watch/play it it may not meet the standard you were expecting and as such your view becomes a bit biased.

I think the changes the movie had were good for a movie adaptation of the story, which is what it was really.

But I must say with this I'm talking about the first cut. The extended cut made the changes look unnecessary and the new additions look out of place.

I only knew about the movie when I read it the first time.

The motion comic guy did the best Dan for me.
A little timid and weaselly, but you can also hear a lot of tension and wiliness under it.
His Rorschach was okay, less forced than in the movie and more natural in its delivery than Moore but the thing is Moore knew how to hang on the right words better, seeing how he wrote the thing in his head, if that makes sense.

Somehow I was disappointed by both Jons/Manhattans. Not sure what I was expecting but something a little more classic and distinct followed by something unearthly.

Same with Veidt but for different reasons, I expected him to "sound like silk" is the best way I can describe it. Also disappointed by both Laurie, same with the side characters.

Both Comedians were fine enough, but I was expecting a little more wiry crack in their tones.

Damn, I loved the movie casting.
Sorry you didn't get anything out of it.
Happy I did though.

honestly i'm ok with that i think watchman is overrated anyway

i like the story and everything but it's not the gold standard in storytelling that most people make it out to be

i also hate how it pretty much inspired every shitty superhero deconstruction ever made

The casting was great aside from veidt

After The Button I have no hype for this at all, button was just so boring, Eobard whoops Batman's ass, dies (but not really), and nothing happens.

I thought the first issue was great, fight was brutal but entertaining and Zoom getting killed was ominous

Yeah, it seems like a lot of people think dark themes = maturity and sophistication. Like, in those interviews about the animated Killing Joke project (which isn't even a super deep story in the first place), the creative team was just like "man this comic was so innovative because it was the first dark Batman comic ever I guess and Joker crippled Batman's friend and did a lot of mean stuff and there was blood and no comic had ever went there before."

That's when I knew that the adaptation wouldn't be very good. I was kind of disappointed by Bruce Timm's simplistic comments, because I really respect him and I thought he was smarter than thinking TKJ was good simply because it was violent.

Johns seems to be better at the small character-driven stuff than the big "important" events he seems to do more often.

Green Lantern: Secret Origin- pretty good and nuanced characterization

Crisis of Light: Infinite Darkseid: The Blackest Hour: Rebirth- "There is the strongest bad guy ever and it's going to take all of DC's characters to fight him!"

Johns Subtlety works best with Superman tho

wrong. batman will talk to him

>Bruce starts ranting about a scorpion and frog crossing a pond and then something about a bat swooping down
>Jon just decides to leave

It's being written by Geoff Johns and he has NEVER written Superman like that.

Could Manhattan stand a chance against Bruce's autism?

Oh Bruce... You actually believe you stand a chance?

>criticize anything DC
>automatically Marvel shills
Stop man, it's embarrassing

>Spider Robinson

If we put all of those in we wouldn't be able to upload it.

OF COURSE I CAN, I'M THE GODDAMN... CEO OF WAYNECORP

You are a dumb casual.

Regular Batman defeated beings much more powerful than Doc.Manhatan.

Manhatan only deal was that he was a medium sized fish in a small pond. Id say that most supernatural beings on DC would have an easy time defeating a guy that can only control the physical world.

Everyone should watch BvS. It's the best movie after all.

Yes. If you want good stories, read Silver Age comics.

Careful, let's not get the Moore fags riled up.

>Sup Forums-tier wojacks in the thread

remember when mods used to actually care about the quality of this board?

Not really, was it before 2012?

sounds like we already did judging by , &

by not being a jaded edgy prick

Do Wojaks bother you, user?

>wants well-written stories rather than contrived moral analogies
>automatically a jaded edgy prick

Nice one

I really don't see any way this won't end up disappointing.

Like what could they actually do to deliver on the hype? No matter how they take down Manhatten it's never going to feel earned or satisfying. It's kind of like Hickman's Ultimate Reed that Humphries swooped in and ruined (though that was especially bad)

I think in retrospect this whole idea will be viewed as an embarrassing mistake.

Felt this way since it was first spoiled.