youtube.com/watch?v=vO7RcCtsuyg
youtube.com/watch?v=7krC6SY5b1A
youtube.com/watch?v=edPckSU41g4
youtube.com/watch?v=TeCdoNQE9qc
youtube.com/watch?v=nzioWPfw280
youtube.com/watch?v=-840keiiFDE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Not enough lolicon to be our Berserk.

>This is what Berserk has been for years now.

So what you're saying is, it's better than Berserk then?
I always knew we had the best taste...or does this belong in /tg/?

I thought our Berserk was Conan

Conan isn't the berserk of anything.
Elric may be on par in terms of quality, but Conan is motherfucking CONAN.

Slight correction. Elric IS on par with Conan but Conan is fucking Conan.

Elric is /lit/

So is Song of Ice and Fire but GoT made it a Sup Forums thing as well.

I actually appreciate just how it keeps getting brighter and softer.

/lit/ is too autistic for ASOIAF

What happened to this series?

Was it really Idolmaster?

That's not Ardent du Walburge.

You don't wanna get Ardent du Walburge mad, he'll destroy your kingdom within days.

>he'll destroy your kingdom within days.
Too fucking late for that. Elric destroyed his own empire in a single raid.

what's with all the Elric threads lately?

Elric is griffith with a guilt complex
Guts is more like Corum

So who's Hawkmoon?

conan isnt grimdark enough. Guts is a lot like Conan but the world is more michael moorecock than robert e howard

Are there any collected volumes or publishers to read Elric stuff from?

Books or comics?

Comics

Titan Comics are collecting them all again but they got still a few more volumes to go till it's done. Three more i believe(Vanishing Tower- Bane and Stormbringer) and there's a bunch of uncollected stuff that i'm not sure they have the rights to.

Thanks user

No prob. Check out the new series as well.

Have some music

youtube.com/watch?v=vO7RcCtsuyg

What ever you do, avoid boom studios elric. Titans collection of the marvel run and the bd's are great

is it dadsek or everyone pretends the kids are not there

Balance Lost is a big fat okay.

I like that it introduces concepts from Blood, Fabulous Harbors and War Amongst the Angels but it also shits the bed on so many other areas.

Mind you. I will say that i did appreciate the look of Spammer Gain and big tittied Billy Bob.

I like the songs michael moorecock wrote for BOC

I've been wanting to get into Elric. Is it better to read his stories in order of publication date or chronologically?

Core saga goes chronologically. Rest can be done out of order.

That comic somebody posted made him look like a half-baked Jojo character.

cheese / 10

youtube.com/watch?v=edPckSU41g4

Here's a pretty obscure one.
youtube.com/watch?v=TeCdoNQE9qc

Kinda spoiler alert but it's a pretty good piece regardless.

The horn blows thrice..

MAKE WAY
I HAVE TO TAKE A GIANT SHIT

Samurai Jack is Sup Forums's Berserk

Berserk is the Berserk of Sup Forums just like Conan is the Conan of Sup Forums
it one of the few cases that is so good it gets to move from board to board.
But hey, Elric, Guts and Conan together would be epic

are there ever conan threads on Sup Forums?

I don't think they'd like each other honestly

But samurai jack is Sup Forums's gurren lagann

Elric and Conan canonically do not get along.

>Elric, Guts and Conan together would be epic

So who buys the first round?

>I don't think they'd like each other honestly
>implying my deepest wish isn't to see a battle royale with the three
I.. i am sure they would get along just fine...

conan and guts would probably be best buds but they both have their own paths. Conan just wants to fight and steal shit and guts has his responsibilities and his revenge so I dont think they'd see each other much. I dont think they'd like elric. elric is a pompous civilized sorcerer so conan would hate him, and elric is practically griffith so guts would probably hate him.

Who gets drunk first and who wins?

no, they are too much of... a delicate taste people to have Conan threads, but if they wanted they could and stuff, cause Conan

>and elric is practically griffith so guts would probably hate him.
Slight correction on that.

Elric is a self loathing Griffith and not a complete prick.

He said Guts deserves a good ending because of all the suffering he's endured.

He's mellowed out since when he firsted started the manga.

Or rather it's the other way around since Elric is probably an inspiration for Griffith's design. I swear to Christ, Japan will not stop dickriding that albino brooding asshole.

you correction is wise and precise
fuck Griffith and his gay magical kingdom

You mean delicate bitches.

Micheal Moorecock is the most over-rated author I've ever read.

OK I'm a fan of Alan Moore, Dave Sim, Grant Morrison, Neil Gaiman, Bryan Talbot, ect. Most of these guys point to the Elric and Jerry Cornilius as inspirations and say that he's this amazing author who inspired them, and is therefore the genesis of modern mature comics in the same way The Rolling Stones where the precursors to Punk Music.

I've read his stuff and all I get out of it is, "It's a bit more ironic than the genre it's attempting to "parody" (not quite the right word, but you get my drift).

>Conan is the Conan of Sup Forums
No, Conan is the Sherlock Holmes of Sup Forums.

is elric big in japan? Also it's probably a happy coincidence berserks universe is just like moorecocks universe

to be honest, Berserker went thru some deep, dark shit, it would have to get a lil light sometime, or the author would end killing himself or something.

Depends which version of Guts. Just post eclipse Guts is a colossal ass and incapable of joy. He'd be a prick to Conan and probably end up in a brawl.

yes.
I like this thread and the people here

I see what you did there
now you must face the consequences
youtube.com/watch?v=nzioWPfw280

Let's put it like this.
Beyond the fact that Yoshitaka Amano drew the covers to many of Moorcock's books for the Japanese releases but Daicon IV, the famous short animation film made by the same people that made Gainax afterwards?
The most featured element in that film besides the heroine is Stormbringer itself.

Think of that for a beat.
It wasn't Gundam, other anime or even more famous characters from comics and Star Wars they decided to spend all that time animating.

They chose Stormbringer out of all things they could have picked. And even reference the novel of the same name by having it split into clones of itself.

Think about it. Moorcock is definitely known in Japan.
youtube.com/watch?v=-840keiiFDE

golden age guts and conan would be inseparable, black swordsman guts and conan would probably fight all the time but I feel like conan would see through his assholish behavior and still respect him, conviction an beyond would respect each other but rarely cross paths unless conans pirate ship caught them or something

So where does Elric fit in?

Sword and Sorcery doesn't take itself seriously, Moorcock's work tread mainly on that genre

80s Fantasy is extremely big in Japan, and so is Wizardry, D&D and that includes moorcock

Why do you think there's so many western fantasy races on anime and manga?

>Sword and Sorcery doesn't take itself seriously, Moorcock's work tread mainly on that genre
I liked him when he went full on bizarre sci fi with Dancers at the End of Time.

Is that even Sci Fi? Or just fantasy?

>Jerry Cornilius
Jerry Fucking Cornelius.

Now there's a series i will never "get".

How much acid was dropped to even write that shit?

There was a time when there was no difference between sci fi a fantasy. I imagine it harkens back to that age

man I'll never tire of watching this

They did have top taste when it came to music.

past a certain point the only difference between them is the terms the narrative uses. By example there's no real difference between "magitech" settings and archetypical space operas.

My rule of thumb:

if it talks about aliens, technology, the sciences, space and time exploration, and subtle and not-so-subtle politics and cultural criticisms etc, it's sci fi.

if it talks about mythical races, magic powers, and concepts such as destiny, fate and things that follow the general concept of chosen ones, it's fantasy.

By the time Moorcock came around there was a clear distinction between fantasy and space operas. Asimov came around and Star Trek had already codified Sci Fi as we know it today

Elric>Buy guys. Why do i have to carry the supplies again? I'm an albino!
Conan>Be silent, chalkskin. It was because of your damned sorcery that we got kicked out of that tavern!
Guts>So tell me, how did you manage to flood the whole place again? My arm's about to rust because of that stunt.
Elric>I just wanted to summon a water sprite to impress the tavern girl. I apologize for the lumbering brute sitting next to us attack it and sending it into a frenzy. Next time i'll make sure the local drunks are only half as dumb
Guts>Whatever. Just be sure to keep that sword of yours sheathed. I heard it whispering last night and i don't take bullshit like that kindly
Conan>That blade of night brings nothing but dread
Elric>I got it under control
Stormbringer>No you don't, my love

So what the fuck happens when your two rules are both present? See also, Blood.

You enter the glorious realm of sci-fantasy

Enough with the fucking Elric spam. Faust is the most berserk like comic

Well post it then.

This is a blue board the mods would delete it

Lone Wolf And Cub=Conan?

I guess it becomes it's own thing?

After all, the only difference between both is how you present them to the reader. Fantasy and Sci Fi are as much what the writer does and what the fandom thinks they are, If you are trying to fit both, you create something new entirely - a new way to present them

Only issue I see here is that Elric would insist on riding, dude is almost never without a horse, landship or magical conveyance of some sort between adventures (in keeping with his 'dissolute noble' theme.)

Guts almost never can keep a horse alive, meanwhile it really depends with Conan, but his tendency to wander trackless wastes and his abilities as a tracker/thief means he operates best on foot.

>in keeping with his 'dissolute noble' theme.

I read a pretty interesting bit the other day regarding Zenith and Elric.

Why do you make an elric thread every day?

Here we go
What is most interesting to me, is that Zenith was of Eastern European nobility. The loss, sadness—and it may seem a contradiction when considering the threat he presented, but the helplessness—so predominantly a part of him, stemmed from the Great War, when his native part of the world was reshaped, royal houses fell, and nobles were reduced to the status of common men.

Skene, however, was an English writer, so what we’re really referencing here is the fall of English nobility, the members of which, through enforced wartime exposure to “common people,” lost their mystique. The gentry had been haplessly thrust into a world they didn’t fully comprehend, and Zenith occupied that same liminal territory between the old and the new, neither of the past nor of the present, and for sure not of the future.

Michael Moorcock tapped the same vein superbly with his Elric stories. Inspired by Zenith, he gave his own albino exactly the same disconnectedness. Elric doesn’t just witness the fall of the past to which he belonged, he is instrumental in its destruction, and the loss would be intolerable were it not for his own version of opium: Stormbringer, the soul-sucking sword that could kill him at any moment.

The feeling of alienation is near heartbreaking in both cases. In the Elric tales, the fantasy setting maybe soothes the existential angst a little (unless you're a teenager, in which case, OUCH!), but with Zenith, the author was writing in exactly the period of history that saw this estrangement visibly represented throughout the land. Every city, every town, every village had its men who'd once "been something" now reduced to cripples or shellshocked wrecks. Wherever the "upper class" had been present, there were now nobles exposed as vulnerable, as delicate, and as breakable as the "ordinary" man.

Because i'm tired when i get home from work and i want to unwind and spend some time sharing and talking about things i enjoy. I've always liked Elric so why not do that.
But i gotta storytime Corum and Hawkmoon though. Or do Weird of the White Wolf or Vanishing Tower.

It's a shame, because I love the stuff that it inspired.

>Bryan Talbot's The Adventures of Luther Arkwright.
>Matt Fraction's Casanova
>Grant Morrison's Sebastian O and Gideon Stargrave(King Mob) of The Invisibles
>Cornilius himself appearing in The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Vol. 3: Century

But when I went back to the source, it just feels like sixties emo version of The Prisoner.

>robert e howard killed himself before he could write more bran mak morn
>there's never going to be any adaptions of bran mak morn because there's next to nothing to adapt
fug

Elric is poor mans Witcher

Elric always struck me as just a bit too emo. Not really the thing I read for high adventure.

Conan is like the anti-Guts in a lot of way. Conan went through terrible shit, but he keeps a sense of humor and a subtle nobility. As much as people like bringing up how "NEUTRAL" Conan is, he'll always do the right thing when it comes down to it.

Oh, and he's smart as fuck. His first story had him writing and singing a poem about how much he hates politics.

Jesus christ, he's a Stand.

>Not really the thing I read for high adventure.
Ya should. Fortress of the Pearl and The Sleeping Sorceress are great adventures.

Not to mention the crushing finality that is Stormbringer.

The problem I have with Elric is that it takes what I like about Sword and Sorcery and makes it miserable.

You don't have fun reading Elric.

it's a cheap rip off of the classic Witcher books.
I'm glad they made it to the west so we know these comics are basically plagiarism now

Eh, I'm not really into the whole "EVERYONE IS BAD EVIL WINS" shit, which is Elric to the hilt.

All of them are a poor mans Conan.

Your bait is weak and so are (You) but at least it gave me a chuckle.
Geralt is nowhere near Elric's levels of self-inflicted suffering.
Also Yen a shit, Stormbringer a best.

conan is pretty fucking well educated. I like in conan the cimmerian when he's in akivasha's tomb and shocks the shit out of her when he immediately reads her ancient language and knows she's a vampire

berserk is the strugglers conan

>"EVERYONE IS BAD EVIL WINS" shit, which is Elric to the hilt.
Well it isn't really. Elric is more
"Life is shit, make the best of it". Even in the end, he still wins. Just not in the way he wants.

But if it ain't your cup of tea, i totally get why that would be the case. Hawkmoon might be more your thing. He even gets a living wife and kids by the end of his story.

I hate the movies for giving the public perception that Conan is just a big stronk dood.
Think the Marvel adaptations got him more right.

The Metabarons is the Berserk of Sup Forums.

>Also Yen a shit, Stormbringer a best.
Patrician taste here

Does he? I recall spoiling myself and hearing that he ultimately destroys his own empire and causes the end of his world. Stormbringer then goes on to corrupt the next world.

Never heard of Hawkmoon. Sounds interesting.

They also forgot that Conan is legit a funny ass guy. And that he wore armour usually. And that he's apparently really fucking hairy.

to be fair he starts off half his stories losing his armor and I dont think he had armor at in in a couple. I love how funny conan is. Reading conan always puts a giant smile on my face