WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN: The TRANSFORMERS Film Series

Transformers (2007)

>Producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura was originally developing a "G.I. Joe" movie, which was scrapped after the American invasion on Iraq. Hasbro then recommended "Transformers" instead.

>Michael Bay initially declined to direct the movie, but was ultimately persuaded by producer Steven Spielberg.

>Early drafts featured only Sam Witwicky and Mikaela Banes. Bay added Captain William Lennox and his team to broaden the movie's audience and secure funding from the U.S. military.

>Early drafts featured Autobots Hot Rod, Wheeljack and Prowl. Bay liked the concept of a Decepticon police cruiser so much that he made Prowl into Barricade.

>Early drafts featured Decepticons Shockwave, Laserbeak, Skywarp, Blitzwing, Onslaught, Octane and Rumble.

>Later drafts featured Autobot Arcee, who was scrapped due to her diminutive size.

>Later drafts featured Decepticon Soundwave, who would transform into a helicopter, and his minion Ravage. Hasbro demanded that Soundwave's alt-form be music-related, so the helicopter became Blackout and Ravage was replaced by Scorponok. A boombox Decepticon was included, but deemed inappropriate for Soundwave and reworked into Frenzy, while Soundwave was scrapped.

>In early drafts, the Transformers didn't speak per studio demands, but writers Robert Orci and Alex Kurtzman persuaded them otherwise.

>Optimus would originally kill Megatron by punching the Allspark through his chest, but Spielberg felt that Sam needed to be the one to deliver the killing blow to complete his character arc.

>Liam Neeson was approached to voice Optimus Prime before the studio decided to bring back the character's original voice actor, Peter Cullen.

>Ewan McGregor was approached to voice Bumblebee before Mark Ryan was cast.

>Amanda Seyfried and Emma Stone auditioned for Mikaela before Megan Fox was cast.

>John Turturro claims to have modeled agent Seymour Simmons' mannerisms on Bay. Bay disputes that, others do not.

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (2009)

>The movie was rushed into production due to the writers' strike despite having no script, resulting in a disjointed movie which Bay has openly renounced.

>During pre-production, Lee Tamahori volunteered to direct the movie at a lower price than Bay and aggressively lobbied for the job, even leaking his pitch on the internet to generate positive buzz for himself. It didn't.

>Bay attempted to create an elaborate misinformation campaign to prevent spoiler leaks, which failed and actually led to more leaks.

>Due to the troubled production, numerous characters and storylines were scrapped, including Autobot Springer, who transforms into a helicopter; Decepticon Tidal Wave, who transforms into an aircraft carrier; elderly Decepticon Ransack, who transforms into a WWI-era biplane; Massive Dynamics, a robotics corporation created by government to cover up the Transformers' existence; and the Fallen being trapped in a parallel dimension and only escaping in the third act.

>A longer scene featuring Devastator which was scrapped due to the complexity of Devastator's CGI rendering process, which even caused one of ILM's computers to melt down.

>Autobot Jolt was a last-minute addition to showcase the Chevrolet Volt, to the point where he is unexplainably absent for long stretches of the movie. Anthony Anderson was approached to voice him, but there was no time to even animate him speaking.

>Barricade would originally return as an Audi, but the brand refused to be associated to one of the villains. They ultimately reconsidered, and the Audi R8 was reinserted into the movie as minor villain Sideways.

>John Turturro would originally voice Jetfire, but was replaced by Mark Ryan.

>Leonard Nimoy was approached to voice the Fallen before Tony Todd was cast.

>Jonah Hill was approached for Leo Spitz before Ramon Rodriguez was cast.

>Teresa Palmer auditioned for Decepticon Alice before Isabel Lucas was cast.

Transformers: Dark of the Moon (2011)

>Michael Bay intended to leave the franchise after the third movie.

>Robert Orci and Alex Kurtzman pitched the concept of Autobots and Decepticons joining forces to fight Unicron, which was rejected by the studio. They departed from the project shortly afterwards and were replaced by Ehren Kruger.

>Shockwave was announced as the main villain to cover up Sentinel Prime's alliance with the Decepticons.

>In early drafts, Optimus Prime would accept Megatron's truce and the Decepticons would return to Cybertron, but this was changed as Bay didn't want to leave loose ends.

>In early drafts, Sentinel Prime would kill the Twins alongside Ironhide, but Bay disliked the characters so much he preferred to ignore them altogether.

>In early drafts, Dino would be executed by Soundwave, while Que would be killed by Protoforms during the final battle. This was changed after Ferrari objected to "their" character being killed onscreen.

>Ramon Rodriguez was approached to return as Leo Spitz, but the character was removed in further rewrites.

>Megan Fox was slated to return as Mikaela Banes, but was fired due to disagreements with Bay, leading to the character being scrapped and replaced by Carly Spencer.

>Blake Lively, Anna Kendrick, Gemma Arterton, Amber Heard, Ashley Greene, Brooklyn Decker, Miranda Kerr, Bar Refaeli, Heidi Montag, Camilla Belle, Katie Cassidy, Lucy Hale and Julianne Hogue auditioned for Carly before Rosie Huntington-Whitley was cast.

Transformers: Age of Extinction (2014).

>Michael Bay initially declined to return. Stephen Sommers, Roland Emmerich, Jon Turteltaub, Louis Leterrier, David Yates and Joe Johnston were approached to replace him before Bonaventura convinced Bay to return.

>Bonaventura merged two separate pitches, one centered on Galvatron leading an uprising of man-made Transformers and one centered on Lockdown hunting down Optimus Prime on behalf of the Creators, to produce the final script.

>In early drafts, Lockdown was assisted by "Widowmaker", a psychotic female Cybertronian bounty hunter, but the character was scrapped in further revisions.

>In early drafts, archaeologist Darcy Tyrell had a larger role, including a romantic subplot with Cade Yeager, which was scrapped in further revisions.

>Jason Statham and Dwayne Johnson was approached for Cade Yeager before Mark Wahlberg was cast. The character would originally only be featured in one movie and sacrifice himself in the end, but further rewrites expanded his role and changed his fate.

>Margaret Qualley, Gabriella Wilde and Isabelle Cornish auditioned for Tessa Yeager before Nicola Peltz was cast. The character would originally be the franchise's new co-lead, but further rewrites reduced her role.

>Brenton Thwaites, Hunter Parrish, Landon Liboiron and Luke Grimes auditioned for Shane Dyson before Jack Reynor was cast. The character would originally be the franchise's new co-lead, but further rewrites reduced his role.

>During filming in Hong Kong, Bay was approached by local crooks who demanded protection money from the production. When he refused, one of them threw an air-conditioner at him, which he dodged, inspiring the scene where Cade throws an air-conditioner at Titus Welliver's James Savoy.

Transformers: The Last Knight (2017)

>Michael Bay initially declined to return, but was ultimately persuaded to do so one last time.

>A Writer's Room overseen by Bay and the producers was created to create an elaborate "Transformers" cinematic universe and map out future sequels and spin-offs of the franchise. >Paramount is concurrently developing a Hasbro Cinematic Universe spanning such properties as "G.I. Joe", "Micronauts" and "M.A.S.K.".

>Prior to the creation of the Writer's Room, a crossover with the "G.I. Joe" franchise headlined by Dwayne Johnson was in development, and there were even plans to reveal that Lennox is longtime "G.I. Joe" character Wild Bill.

>Bonaventura once again merged two separate pitches, one about a corrupted Optimus Prime returning to Earth amistd all-out war between humans and Transformers, and one about the secret connection between the Transformers and Arthurian lore, to produce the final script.

>Jean Dujardin was approached to voice Hot Rod before Omar Sy was cast.

>Stephen Merchant was approached to voice Cogman before Jim Carter was cast.

>Stanley Tucci was approached to return as Joshua Joyce, but the character was removed in further rewrites. Bay then offered him the role of the wizard Merlin.

>Tyrese Gibson was approached to return as Sergeant Robert Epps, but was forced to decline due to scheduling conflicts. He's reportedly already in talks for TRANSFORMERS 6 and TRANSFORMERS 7.

transformers 7 what the flying

>>Stanley Tucci was approached to return as Joshua Joyce, but the character was removed in further rewrites. Bay then offered him the role of the wizard Merlin.

I hope he can comeback as Joyce again.

I remember being confused where Tucci was not realizing he was Merlin.

The ride NEVER ends.

>>Prior to the creation of the Writer's Room, a crossover with the "G.I. Joe" franchise headlined by Dwayne Johnson was in development, and there were even plans to reveal that Lennox is longtime "G.I. Joe" character Wild Bill.

There is something mildly amusing about the idea that while all the Bayformers bullshit happened no one mentioned that time COBRA took over the White House, blew up Paris and trolled every major world power into depleting their nuclear arsenals.

Like, that just all happened. And nobody talks about it.

And in reverse nobody in GI Joe mentions that time giant robots fought over the pyramids or when they trashed and occupied Chicago and half teleported an entire planet. It would be a fascinating combination of of events.

Simmons and Joyce spin-off when?

Boaventura, stop.

> and there were even plans to reveal that Lennox is longtime "G.I. Joe" character Wild Bill.

Thats pretty cool actually

Just saw this one. Pretty good.

It was surley better than 4 and 2 and shows how much Prime fucked up in 3 with Cybertron.
I was gladly surprised to see that they gave the decepticons some characterization even if it was minor, especially for Megatron which now puts him into a more 'tragic hero' spot rather than full on villain.
The whole movie really reminded me of a live action version of Prime which isn't really that bad for a bayformers movie.
I'm glad this is Bay's last movie in the series though, his humor's really obvious when it happens and really annoying but thankfully it doesn't happen that often.
So in my opinion the rank would go
1>5>3>2>4

>In early drafts, after the Dynasty of the Primes sacrifices themselves to hide the Matrix of Leadership, the Fallen returns to Cybertron and slaughters their descendants, with Optimus Prime as the sole survivor. He grows up without knowing that he's a Prime and becomes brothers-in-arms with Megatron. When Optimus learns the truth, Megatron resents him and is seduced by the Fallen, weakened after centuries without Energon, into forming the Decepticons to steal the Allspark, and the war begins.

>In early drafts, Megatron only served the Fallen because the Fallen had promised to make him a Prime. In the final battle, when Optimus reveals that it's impossible, Megatron would betray the Fallen and leave him to die.

>In early drafts, Arcee would be a single consciousness divided in three bodies that could combine, and would join Sam and Bumblebee on their quest, but the idea was eventually scrapped in favor of three separated female Autobot motorcycles: Arcee, Chromia and Flareup.

>In early drafts, the Twins were Sideswipe and Sunstreaker. Further rewrites added the child-friendly Skids and Mudflap, removed Sunstreaker and made Sideswipe into the Autobots' cocky hothead, a role previously slated for Hot Rod.

>In early drafts, Soundwave was meant to join the battle in Egypt, adopting the form of a military communications truck, but they couldn't fit him into the narrative.

>The Matrix of Leadership would originally be featured in TRANSFORMERS, but producers felt that'd confuse audiences due to the MATRIX series and the Allspark was used instead.

>>The Matrix of Leadership would originally be featured in TRANSFORMERS, but producers felt that'd confuse audiences due to the MATRIX series

Oh, Hollywood.

>>The Matrix of Leadership would originally be featured in TRANSFORMERS, but producers were confused due to the MATRIX series
FTFY

>Flareup
She was Elita-one

She was mislabed "Elita-1" but was apparently supposed to be Flareup.

She was Elita-one in the comics

... There's no ROM in that lineup of Hasbro-owned properties. That movie's going to be more egh than okay. I may still see it, but if I do, there's a good chance it will bore the hell outta me.

If there IS a TF/G.I. Joe crossover, Lennox having a big role might be fun. MIGHT.

I just hope it doesn't go the way of Revolution.

Is there a comic explanation as to why Megatron is no longer Galvatron between 4 and 5?

Junkyard loli was the best part of the movie.

How many times are you planning on making this thread though?

Quintessa rebuilt him somehow.

He actually went back to Cybertron in between films?

well Bee apparently fought the Nazis in WWII, left Earth and came back, somehow, so.... I guess anything is possible.

That's dumb. But honestly not the dumbest thing in the movie.
time stop hot rod is good stuff

That was such a blatant gimmick/push for toy sales it was hilarious

Nothing indicates that he ever left.

I don't know if that would have worked.

Lennox wasn't WILD enough.

oh yeah you're right, for some reason I forgot he was already on Earth before the other Autobots came down in the first movie.

That skydiving suicide mission in "Dark of the Moon" was pretty wild.

For some reason that scene always annoyed me. I feel like there should have been at least one guy in that who was just having the time of his life, skydiving, sliding through a falling building, fighting giant robots, and saving the planet. It just looked like fun. Fucking terrifying and deadly, but strangely fun.

It's Ironhide that was here left and came back