It's a "characters play D&D" episode

>It's a "characters play D&D" episode
>They spend 90% of the episode bitching about the fundamental mechanics of table-top role-playing
>"UUUGH MAN WHAT DO YOU MEAN I HAVE TO ROLL A DICE, THAT'S TOTALLY UNFAIR, GAMES ARE SUPPOSED TO BE MAGICAL AND *FUN*!"
>whichever character is the DM is portrayed as a sadistic Rules Nazi
>the moral of the episode is ALWAYS "you should just make up whatever silly bullshit you want, because that's the TRUE spirit of a game, not following lame rules!"

Why is this episode seen in so many cartoons across so many generations? Dexter's Lab, Regular Show, Teen Titans Go... I'll admit, I've never played a tabletop RPG in my life, and yes the density of rules and math 'n shit is intimidating, but I mean, that's the whole point, isn't it? If you just want to "use your imagination", you don't NEED a fucking RPG, you can just be a manchild playing pretend I guess, but why do so many animators seem salty against D&D? Bad experiences trying the game in middle school? Any /tg/ bros care to speculate?

D&D and rpgs like it are much less about the rules and much more about the people you play with.

If an animation has shitty tropes about D&D its probably because the people that exposed them to it were shitty people.

Honestly, 90% of it should just be the GM bullshiting because the party mauled the BBEG halfway into the story and has no idea what to do

This episode is what got me into dnd. Dee Dee is the best DM

It's because D&D is shit tabletop and the moral of each episode should instead be that they decide to play something actually fun.

It's all about watering down nerd culture to make it more palpable form stupid normie fags. Pic related.

only faggots play tabletop

real men snort cocaine and fuck hookers

Egomaniacs don't like objective rules. It's why Freeform RP has rules like
>only the owner of a character can decide if an attack hits

>D&D is shit
t. kiddie who never played anything but WOTC D&D

>density of rules and math 'n shit is intimidating,
The hardest part of tabletop games like D&D and Pathfinder is initial character creation (mechanically speaking), and even then most core rulebooks give you simple step-by-step instructions (and even if that's too much for you, online tools exist that do the math for you). Once you have your character set up, any math you have to do is pretty straightforward, and any deviations to your characters stats (from leveling up, taking feats, etc.) is something any competent player should be doing already.

As far as how cartoons portray tabletop games, I'm not overly annoyed by it, because they are exaggerations of real life annoyances. There are asshat DMs who fudge their own rolls because they're faggots like Dexter, there are systems like FATAL that are fucking terrible and don't deserve to be played like the game in Regular Show. Honestly, what gets me most is when they half-ass the fucking basics of playing a tabletop game. Yes, you roll dice to determine whether or not you succeed at something, but there is a lot fucking more to playing a campaign than just "lol roll a d20 for four hours".

AND THIS IS WHY /tg/ will always maintain its quality.

Idiots are too idiotic to learn math and literature in order to create a quality game.
Luckily for us they also never try to pretend they know jackshit about following the rules.
/tg/ almost died before the create-your-own-story/quests got sent to their own board.

God I love /tg/. The last bastion of hope for humanity and the only good place on the internet, especially for an internet sewer known as Sup Forums.

>any deviations to your characters stats (from leveling up, taking feats, etc.) is something any competent player should be doing already.
I mean any competent player should be taking notes and altering their stats. Player sheets have feats/weapon stat sections for a reason.

>the only way to have fun is mindless hacknslash where the GM lets you win

The fun of tabletop comes from developing a story collaboratively. It's about making moments you'll remember forever. You can't get that from scripted games.

Luckily this thing is impossible to happen to /tg/. Not any retard can just pick up and play.

Can we get a /tg/ version of this?

My friends and I used to play D&D back in the day. Nobody ever complained about whatever happened during a session, and we always ended up getting completely plastered after a couple of hours. Then we started playing MMO's.

>It's a "characters play D&D" episode/comic
>The PCs look and behave exactly like the players themselves

Part of the fun is imagining a character who is different to yourself, although I do appreciate that this is neccessary shorthand to identify who is playing which character.

Have there been any examples (in cartoons or comics) where the RPG characters are very different to the Players?

>D&D
Stop implying that WOTC D&D is anything like TSR D&D, casual.

The DM is always a sadistic rules nazi though.

Pretty much every group I've ever had is held together solely on the fact that all of them want to play D&D. Best case scenario, you tolerate your gaming friends. Wost case scenario, you wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire. If you don't have a similar experience, I envy you. Yet, somehow the love of the game keeps you with these assholes you hate.

But i like those episodes

It's all the same trash.

because "the characters play a game and everyone has a good time with it" is a whole lot of nothing
they aren't trying to advertise your bullshit nerd hobbies

>/tg/ almost died before the create-your-own-story/quests got sent to their own board.

That was the best part of /tg/

>Team Leader character rolls a bookish healer.
>The Girl character rolls an inhuman hulking berserker.
>Tech Guy character rolls a charismatic paladin who leads the charge into battle.
>Goody-two-shoes character rolls a typical chaotic neutral thief.
>Big Guy rolls a wizard.

Quick, someone make this episode before I explode with want and desire.

This makes me want to murder something.

Cnt'd

>Squidward type character who thinks he's better than everyone and is routinely the butt of jokes rolls a character almost identical to himself except all min-maxed and munchkiny. He spends the episode telling the other members of the team about how you're REALLY supposed to play the game and how everyone else is doing it wrong. He is the only one who manages to not enjoy himself as the DM gives them a series of puzzle challenges and rewards them for success with happy endings to their arcs instead of a shit load of make-believe gold.

>He says, while ignoring the constantly made "martials vs. Casters" shitposts, the "Playing anything but a good Human fighter is sparkledog" shitposts, the "Playing a Good Human Fighter is sparkledog" shitposts, the "haha, I made a thread about how much i want to hate fuck elves, aren't i original" posts, and "That Guy" threads where at least half the stories are people complaining about inconsequential bullshit, people not realizing that they are being the "That Guy", and people making things up for attention.
/tg/ may be better, but it still has it's shit.

this
I want a d&d episode where the dm's carefully laid plans are ruined literally 2 minutes into the episode and the rest of it plays out like that ed edd n eddy episode where they all tell their own version of a story

Go back to /pfg/

That's why I did free form collaborative RP on GameFAQs in the early 2000s. That and I never knew anyone who was interested in tabletop or stumbled onto any communities online. My only exposure to D&D was an arcade game.

And teej, before you say anything, yes my freeform experience was exactly as shit as you'd assume it was. Maybe worse at times.

Had a guy write that his character used a magical obsidian katana to carve his initials in my chest without a hint of irony. And for my part, I told him he was attacking an illusion because why the fuck not?

Isnt it already?

Do we have WH40K references in cartoons, Sup Forums?
Asking for a friend.

While watching cartoons and reading storytimes here on Sup Forums... r-right?

I can't believe people are still so salty about /qst/'s banishment.
>less than 6% of threads per day! REEE

Are you friends with the Emperor or with Khorne?

>It's a D&D episode
>Characters dont have cheeto fingers that get orange dust on everything

You COULD do an episode about characters overcoming adversity in the game caused by a fun-ruiner while still staying within the rules of the game, through teamwork, friendship and resourcefulness, but that would be HAAAARD.

I don't even play tabletop RPGs, but I don't like kids learning the lesson that if you don't like the rules of a game, just complain until the rulebook gets thrown out.

>No really you guys, THAC0 was the best!

Y'know I've never actually gamed with anyone who likes Cheetos.

The Mountain Dew half of the stereotype is pretty legit though.

For sure. My first group had a guy that would legit drink multiple two-liter bottles of Mountain Dew every session. Like what the actual fuck, man.

I'm rolling a pathfinder chaotic neutral human barbarian that's illiterate, afraid of swimming, and desires in life to eat the flesh of his stronger fallen foes to gain their power.

"So he's a cannibal? Why isn't he evil?"

It's only cannibalism if same race dude.

I used to spend a ton of time in roleplay chatrooms in the late 90's/early 2000's and fought with these kind of rules.

So, if you threw a dagger at someone's chest you can't say it connects. But if you were a faster typer you can type another action in before the other person can type out a dodge response. If you do it quick enough it's assumed the first attack connects, unless the guy said he had a forcefield or something like that. It was dumb but I had a lot of fun.

D&D is for fucking nerds

Just make a note that the girl is the GM's girlfriend/wife. The dudebros are Pathfinder players.

/tg/ has been rotting since the edition wars

Was that after the Nazi Mod?

Does the four-armed Emperor count?

Clarence did it best

It counts as heresy, bugfucker

>implying pathfinder isn't just more dnd for faggots who couldn't handle edition changes

>Why's that? I'm not quite familiar with RP so I'm not quite sure what the problem is

I find myself wondering if you fucking retards have ever been to /tg/. The only reason that /tg/ is seen as "quality" is because every other board is worse, but that doesn't mean it isn't also a hollow shell of what it used to be.

Look kid, Im a seasoned player, some might even say that Im one of the best, if not the best, gamer this board has to offer. Dont believe me? I have over 400 hundred board games at my house, over a 100 at my arms reach right now. Card games? I got a deck for every possible combination of cards of M:tg, I even go to tournments and shit. No biggie. D&D? I'm proud to say that as a player I'm always the party leader, maxed as I can be and I'm not afraid of taking that extra edge that puts me ahead of enemies and allies alike. Hell, I got to get paid for having sex with hot girls and killing dragons with my expert builds. I like to shit on the GM one-directional adventures, by solving it with brains and brawl instead of one or the other, wether the party likes it or not. When Im the GM, Im proud to say that NO PARTY ever finished one of my adventures. Think you're gonna face some lazy sleepy goblins? Think again, they are fully trained comandos, that will attack and take full cover before you can do shit. Dont hate the player, hate the game. WH40K? My Ultramarines will anihilate you (each one of them have at least 5 page background that I wrote to enhace the fluff), so don't even get me started, kiddo, shit would blow your weaklings mind on how real it gets.
So, you listen, kiddo, and you listen good, because this will be a freebie.
For aeons roleplaying has been the key element of proplayers like me to actually do something in these games and tip scales to my side, I will get a lot of crap from retards saying that I dont have to hit everything or make enemies fail every save to have fun, but boy, thats some fucking wishfullthinkiing losers love. So, the baddie hit me with his attack...? I'll hit him harder, I'll backflip and and choke him with his own belt while unloading the whole clip of my katana-colt gunblade (which I made myself with my crafting skill, daring to go beyond what the setting wanted to chain me with) down his fucking throat.

That's not how a game works. That would be like the official rules of baseball saying only the person at bat can decide if they strike out or hit a homerun. Nobody throws a ball and nobody swings a bat, the player just gets to choose for themselves when they step up to the plate.

Better question to ask is "Why is cannibalism considered evil?" We're just meat on legs, like a smarter pig.

Just don't eat the brain. Fuckin' prions, man.

katana-colts are underpowered in d20

Yep, pretty much only morons would chose to miss. Me? If any DM actually had the balls to allow me to do that, I would fuck them in the ass so hard. BBEG? I would instant-teleport behind him and slice him up good, hitting all his vitals, while draining all his knoledge in a safe way. Now, knowing everything he knew, I would feast on my fellow players, that obviously would make poor contructed sentences that I would happily exploit to my delight and their butthurt.

There is 99% you never even played d20, I bet you dont even know how to minmax a druid for christs sake. So shut your mouth with that stale old as balls meme, you casual pleb. People like you are why the hobbie is dying and is hard for real players like me to find a group. Fuck you and your D&D trash.

>that pic
That's why you should get into inaccesible hobbies like printing and distributing harsh noise zines.

>The last bastion of hope for humanity
I've been wondering lately how long it will be before so much "nerd" culture has been devoured and normalised by the machine that they have to come for tabletop. Surely it's far too dense and lacks enough mainstream appeal for them to ever try and rape it for shekels.
Surely.
They'll come for it eventually, user: they can't create, and they have a powerful need to defile everything and anything in pursuit of a dollar

Oh. I thought that was referring to non-game RPs

This. Had the min-maxer, the RPer, the chaotic fucker, the noob.

>roll a dice to put in it. Add accuracy points and it's a miss if below 69

>make Sup Forums great again

Community was a good show.

Yea this stuff is kind of dumb, but as long as you're not playing with complete cave trolls it can be pretty fun. The times I did chat RP, it was never really about who won the fight, it was just about having a cool fight, and the couple of times it ended up not to what I'd planned it just meant a different story to work around.

Have you played Magic? It's exactly like this. The lead developers are even trying to pander to normies.

/tg/ is a shit heap with an influx of politically correct newfriends

There's this.
Yes, it's real.

hold on

>/tg/ is a shit heap with an influx of politically correct newfriends
>coming from the Sup Forumsmblr browsing using the term "newfriend"
Uh huh, sure,

Eh. We got an influx because reddit admins were bitchy about leaks so they came here. It's still your average board with its hatred of niggers and jews.

>It's still your average board with its hatred of elves and drow
fix'd

Please tell me /tg/ is still....you know.

It's a blueboard now so not quite as much, but there's still a nice waifu a exotics lay thread from time to time.

>It's still your average board with its hatred of drows and dwarves

Fix'd your fix.

>ROLL A DICE
DO YOU EVEN ENGLISH FAGGOT

/tg/ has a dwarf fetish user. Those hairy midgets are super manly ingenious awesome do no wrong best race next to HFY bros for life XD

But Dwarves are undoubtedly Jews, that's just a fact.

Dwarves are scottish vikings

Tolkien was pretty racist and made them greedy money hoarders and racial recluses. Like the stereotype for jews at the time.
is right

Tolkien is not what dwarves have evolved into from years of D&D/Warcraft/bad video games
And Tolkien was the exact opposite of pretty racist. He wrote an angry letter to Hitler dismantling their the aryan fantasy and calling the jews a "noble people"

>It's the "but Tolkien did it" fag
Most settings with Elves, Dwarves and Orcs bear only a cursory similarity to Tolkien. He may have started it, but it's moved past him now.

Yeah he wasn't intentionally racist but he did make a series where all the super irredeemably evil people were coded as dark/black and all the pure good guys were white. Dude was from a racist time, what are ya gonna do

hehe, nice

I still can't believe that's real.

They were coded as green, no one in his setting was irredeemable. And let's not get into the long list of elven fuck ups throwing a wrench in their pure good guys motif

It's a good feel.

Light and Dark have always been thematically used for good and evil, and he had to make the Orcs super irredeemable so as not to offend his Catholic sensibilities when the main characters slaughtered them mercilessly.

Stop thinking everything's about you Nignog.

>no one in his setting was irredeemable.
Give me one good instance where an Orc showing a bit of goodness and humanity. Tolkien fucking invented the "Always evil Orcs" stereotype.

Orc slaughter did in fact offend his catholic sensibilities because, by those sensibilities, no creations of god are irredeemable. He could never settle on a canon origin for them because of it and noted them as one of his regrets

There are actually a lot of things in the text and in side-letters that indicate that "brown people being evil" thing is not entirely true. Notably, he describes the Harfoot hobbits (of which Sam is one) as having "nut-brown" skin.

Well, rolls are a part of the game, but it is a role-playing game, so emphasis is on role-playing, not rolling dice.

Like, if you've played games with people who are extremely autistic about rules, it can be unfun. Yes, they are important, they give games structure, but playing with people who do not roleplay and just care about dice rolls is the most cancerous experience ever.

>in the land of mordor, where the shadows lie

yes those famous green shadows.

also shit in goddamn encyclopedias and indexes doesn't count. i'm talking about a story.

I'm white but you realize it is kinda strange to be like "Hey you're always gonna be associated with evil. Deal with it" ? as the other user said Tolkien realized it was a mistake and regretted it.

>also shit in goddamn encyclopedias and indexes doesn't count. i'm talking about a story.
>Implying the Autistic World building doesn't count in a series litterally made to justify his autistic world building

...You're not actually trying to say "where shadows lie" means literal black people are you?

See

Tolkien realized it was a mistake Becuase it implied that a creature COULD be irredeemable, not because it had anything to do with black people or that they were irredeemable.

Black People getting insulted over evil things being dark is stupid. This is the kind of shit you should get used to when your color resembles the time of day when scary creatures with big claws have the best chance of killing you.

>as the other user said Tolkien realized it was a mistake and regretted it.
You completely misinterpreted what I said

For what it's worth, the study group made a decent effort in trying to play the game right.
They obviously didn't meddled in the intricate battle mechanics, but the RPing was pretty well done.
When I played with my friends, we'll always try to find women to screw around and spend a lot of time discussing trivial shit.
The bit about Britta trying to help the goblins was interesting and could made a good story.

Goblin Slayer memes

Goblin slayer was a mistake

>/tg/
>reading any actual literature beyond rulebooks or shitty bargain bin fantasy books

kek

Even /lit/'s fantasy book general is less cancerous and pleb-tier in taste than /tg/