She's coming back

They tried to ignore her. They tried to erase her. And they even tried to replace her. But now, seven years later, after a long and winding road of cartoons, mobile games and scattered cameos in one-shots and digital minis, the breakthrough winner of the 2009 Fuckup of the Year award is finally back in a Marvel comics cover.
Yes, it's the year of our lord 2017 and mother fucking Phyla-Vell is coming fucking BACK, Sup Forums! And apparently, in pretty safe hands, too. Though I'd really like to know exactly how she ended up inside the Soul Gem... anyway, let's have a thread in honor of everyone's 11th favorite Guardian of the Galaxy.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AhvUpykF7OM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Look at her, all tiny and split into two right there. You go almost a decade without a Phyla and suddenly you get two. Cup runneth over.

>the breakthrough winner of the 2009 Fuckup of the Year award
Carol missed a year??
Oh right, that was the year she was dead.

Also, fucking Frazier Irving drawing her first full appearance was just icing on the cake. And look, there's even a lettering fuckup over there. It's like she never left.

We'll never forget that golden year, where it seemed like it was going to be another race between perennial fuckup Hank Pym and slowing-down newcomer Tony Stark, when out of nowhere this plucky young girl with silver hair came screaming from the stars with a Fuckup for the Ages. It was the best of times.

Now I kinda want a follow up to this pic with Heather grabbing her ass and saying she missed that too. I mean...

Damn.

Duggan, Ewing, Bunn, Spenser

Saviors of forgotten characters.

Also, anyone seen that one issue of USAvengers (I think it was) where they straight-up painted Avril Kincaid's hair white?
Even New Quasar wants to be Old-New Quasar.

Carol's crush on Spider-Woman has intensified recently too. Phyla's a trendsetter.

Was it really such a fuckup? I mean...
>>Thanos' dad killed her
>>She lost quantum bands and was thrown to the dragon
>>Tries to kill Magus
>>They stopped her from killing Magus, which gets more killed
>>Frees Thanos, who eventually stops the Cancerverse

Like, was she really such a fuckup?

Now, I don't wanna imply anything, but y'know... the last lesbian Quasar who got eaten by a giant space monster sure as fuck didn't go into no pussy-ass coma. Though I'm sure her team wished she had.

Speaking of Secret Empire: Chances Genis comes out from the Darkforce too?
Ahead of their appearance in Captain Marvel movies?

I'm happy for you, Judge, but when does my favorite Vell get to come back?

I like to joke a lot about Phyla's fuckupness, but the truth is that without her:
A) Rich would've most likely gotten himself killed by Annihilus, since it was her who got the Quantum Bands off him and allowed Rich to pierce his shield.
B) Ultron would've fucked everyone over at the end of Conquest, since it was her who channelled the angry souls of billions of Kree to cut him in half (though it is a bit debatable that they could've found some other way to fuck him up).
C) The entire Guardians team would've burnt to a crisp in the Dyson Sphere at their third mission, because she was the one who shielded them while Gamora closed the dome.
D) It's implied that the Dragon of the Moon would've eventually woken up from its slumber and gone out to royally fuck the universe.
And yeah, then there's the whole Magus thing which would've actually saved the universe if Magus hadn't seen it coming, plus the Thanos thing which is more of a "turned out nice again in the end" situation.
Anyway, point is, fun as it may be to hail her as Our Martyred Lady of All Fuckups, Phyla's awesome. And I really liked what little we got to see of her in

>Ahead of their appearance in Captain Marvel movies?

Judge my-dude, that's not her split in two. That's the new girl Quasar that Spencer made and then did jack shit with.

Still. Phyla and Moondragon. Alive. AT THE SAME TIME.

wait that might be two of her fuck if I can tell.

Through it all, her spirit's alive.

I think Genis' problem is that you'd need to find a writer who really, really loves him, enough to actually want him back. And it's a shame because he's a fantastic character, but he's kinda fucked unless there's a sizeable Vell revival coming some day. Or PAD decides to go cosmic again.

No, Avril's got brown hair and no eye-thing. That's Phyla as Quasar & Martyr.

Check out Duggan's Guardians of the Galaxy issue 3. Or look at Both Quasar AND Martyr are stuck inside the Soul Gem somehow. So there's a chance we might get two Phylas.
How the universe plans to survive that, well...

Yeah I know. I thought I was looking at lighting effects, but that preview shows otherwise.

When is her brother coming back?

S/D please.

Selfcest

Fuck why is Gamora now some weird fetish ninja thing instead of Space Red Sonja.

I'm so happy for you, Judge.

Dammit, why'd you have to get me into The Question now I'm disappointed by every Shiva appearance.

Ooh man, you should really read that issue if you want some Maroto Gamora goodness. If only for one page.

Hateselfcest.

Man, that's part of why I'm so hype for this. One of my favorite characters is coming back after seven years, written by someone who is pretty good and genuinely cares about her. This is some planetary alignment shit.

>Hateselfcest.
Now Carol's the trendsetter.

Why does this look like a Yu-Gi-Oh card?

I've been meaning to catch up with Duggan's stuff. I have it all, I've just been retarded.

I jumped ship with Bendis and as near as I can tell, that was in no way a mistake.

I may try Ewing later, but for now just Duggan's few works.

Can't wait for her to get the comic cancelled the way she got avengers alliance game cancelled

Because it's gloriously over the top and nonsense without a shit ton of context.

Abnett and Lanning knew what they were doing for Conquest. The Heavy Metal levels absurdity were on purpose. As shown by that pointless Wraith guy who's never shown up again.

That entire mini was just glorious. I know Conquest gets a bad rep, but I really dug the whole mix of genres it had going for it. So Nova felt more like straight-ish superheroics, Star-Lord went for war, Wraith tried to be horror, and Quasar went full Heavy Metal sci-fi sword and sorcery.
>Dem first few pages of issue 4 with the cool-ass parchment corners

I recall Duggan said he has over 30 issues written thusfar.

Started working in November, I believe. He's the king of seeding plot threads. I ought to reread his Infinity Gauntlet mini from SW. The part with the Time Gem is nuts.

Got the Conquest omni last month as a blind buy. Uncertain whether to search for Anhilation material prior to reading.

Speaking of cards, here's a few.

If you haven't read it yet, do try to read Annihilation first. It'll give you a good idea of how we all got here, but it's also a fucking awesome event on its own.

So gents, I've been out of cosmic since the end of Annihilators. Dabbled a bit with Sams comics. I've meant to read Hickmans mess, if only to give later Starlin OGN's context. Was anything else worth it? I hear Ewing often.

Conquest is worth it for
1. Phylla riding her dragon girlfriend
2. GotG
3. That one fantastic cover on Ultron

Sweet, I actually hadn't seen this before!

I haven't read any of that except Ewing's work on Ultimates and it is fucking phenomenal. Just full-on cosmic abstracts and tenth-dimensional madness, rewriting reality in every issue. The Ultimates themselves kinda get lost really hard, but once you twig to that it becomes a much smoother read. Grand stuff all around. Even if it *is* keeping Ewing from writing more Zombo.

Top quality slav redesign.

Some early redesigns.

... I got no idea, but that'd be a sweet alt costume in a fightan game.

>And then there was that time Phyla summoned an army of golden Ray Harryhausen and sci-fi monsters to beat the shit out of the Super Adaptoid before shanking him right through the chest

Just a week old!

I hope that Darkhawk joins the team too, with all of the Raptor stuff coming up.

Is Duggan going to make cosmic Marvel great again?

youtube.com/watch?v=AhvUpykF7OM

Visited the comic shop I used to frequent in college a week or so back, and he heard through the grapevine that there's a good chance it's gonna be reprinted in the future. Based on the recent Cosmic Omnis I wouldn't be surprised if it returns in some way, shape of form.

But enough not contributing. Time for a late-night storytime!

I can hold off if you have more Phyla to post, you have dibs.

Here's hoping!

Go for it, man!

Okay so for awhile things were doing pretty good but then most everybody with talent (Remender, Gillen, Hickman, etc...) jumped ship after Secret Wars and so we're kind of down to the dregs writer wise, which I can only imagine why they keep giving books to Bendis.
The last beacon of hope in this dark future is Al Ewing, whose claim to fame is being able to build upon decades old continuity to create the some of the greatest "hell yeah" moments in comic history and is slowly but surely working his way up Morrison levels of meta-narrative on the nature of the superhero comic book. (Somebody really needs to get the two of them in a room together to work on a new Avengers/Justice League crossover). Here's a short rundown of his work for Marvel that all sort of flows together (ie after Might Avengers ends, most of the characters he was writing about jump ship to either New Avengers or Ultimates and continue from there).
Mighty Avengers (2013)
Loki: Agent of Asgard
Captain America and the Mighty Avengers
Ultron Forever (3 issue miniseries)
Captain Britain and the Mighty Defenders (Secret Wars Tie-In)
New Avengers (2015)
Ultimates (2015)
Contest of Champions (2015)
U.S.Avengers
Ultimates^2
Royals (I never thought I'd ever give a shit about Inhumans, but here we are)
Rocket (Yes, Ewing is now writing a trash panda book, haven't read it yet, but I've heard good things)

Duggan was NOT a mistake.

I missed my fuck up-fu.

We're getting Chris Samnee on a Star-Lord issue next. Zdarsky's run was pretty good.

>Phyla
>possibly Rich if the rumors are true
I seriously want to get hyped about Captain Marvel now.

Duggan is one of the reasons I started buying comics.

Everybody working on it is great so I'm already hyped.
If Brie gets to flirt with a Phyla that's gravy.

I'm so glad Duggan is using Kuder to the fullest extent. He was being wasted on Death of X. The use of Scale in the book is tremendous.

This bit was fucking great. Just the unceremonious plunk of Galactus' face.

>le who? meme
>le rocket jailbreak meme
>le nobody respects star-lord meme
Why do we like this again?

Okay, is there a reading list for Phyla-vell and Moondragon out therE? Because I am 100% down with tough as nails take no prisoners space lesbians killing aliens

Bunn's Drax is seriously underrated

>spoiler
No it wasn't.

You can start at Peter David's Captain Marvel, volume 5, but it is more than a bit confusing to just jump in there, since it was the tail end of years and years of character work. Your safest bet is to start at Annihilation, then Conquest, then Guardians, and straight in till dawn.

>this whole page
What the fuck?

This makes Gunn's Peter look like cyborg-lord.