ASTONISHING X-MEN #1 Preview

Writer: Charles Soule
Artist/Cover: Jim Cheung
Only the X-Men can save us!
An ancient evil is attacking the world’s most powerful minds. It will have them by the time you finish this sentence, and a moment later, it will have us all. A band of X-Men discovers the truth behind the threat, but there is no time left. Psylocke, Old Man Logan, Bishop, Archangel, Fantomex, Rogue and Gambit will attempt to save a world that hates and fears them. Why? Because they are the X-Men.

From writer Charles Soule joined by a roster of superstar artists beginning with Jim Cheung. ASTONISHING X-MEN. It’s the X-book you need.

Why is it, despite liking all of these characters except Fantomex, I can't help but think this is a shit line-up?

Because we're all sick of Angel/Betsy drama.
And Wolverine/Mystique drama.
And Rogue/Gambit drama.
And Rogue/Mystique drama.
And Rogue/Gambit/Mystique drama.

Honestly all of the relationships in this roster are played out. It's like Guggenheim's line up, we've seen this all before.

>An ancient evil is attacking the world’s most powerful minds.
Let me guess, Shadow King?

Aint Old Man Logan already on two other teams?

Is it just me or is the inking on this really bad?

> Cheung putting in clearly more consistent work then he did on Axis...
Good
> Gambit
Good
> Mystique
Good
> OML
Meh
> Bisop
Meh
> Archangel
Meh
> Rogue
Meh
> Purple Bitch
Fuck
> Purple Bitch not being allowed to be sex to make up for not being likable...
Insufferable cancer.

When did Angel get his feather wings back?

>Boocoo
Is he supposed to be saying "beaucoup" I know Gambit's french is Louisianan but that's just fucking awful

Can Rogue not touch people again? Are you fucking kidding me?

Just like the good old days when he was young.

Why is Wolferines head so big?

Rogue, Bishop and Archangel are the only cool characters on this team
how does Charles "death cloud is like peanut allergies" Soule get to write X-Men now

>Soule is still at Marvel

ffs Charles just give it up, come back and write Swamp Thing again. Your Marvel work is terrible.

I am in for Cable, Bishop, Psylocke and my ol´ boy Fantomex.

They should change Logan with Deapdool.

Soule peanut butter

allergy death synergy

poo poo Soule butter

Shut the fuck up.

>Rogue, Gambit, Logan, Psylocke, Mystique, Fantomex, Archangel, Bishop
>Cheung
That sounds fucking aweso--
>Soule
FUCKKKKKKKKKKK WHY THE FUCK IS HE NOT FIRED YET

These prose are sound very Claremont-esque

I like the cast but is this the main X book or Gold?

Too bad it's pee nuts

It just seems inconsistent. The lines look heavy but the shadows are really minimal.

So, are they gonna ignore the fact that Bishop is a mass murderer with the biggest body count for any hero that isn't Namor?

I have such a love hate for Cheung...
I love the way he draws things, but the more books with him I read, the more I realized he's absolutely shit at motion and fight scenes. All his characters are always leaping and flailing their hands around, but nothing ever has a sense of impact or contact, it's all so rigid and static, and every battle is nothing but large spread pages that look really pretty, but have characters doing fuck all into them. He's an incredibly talended artist but an incredibly shit storyteller.

>Is he supposed to be saying "beaucoup" I know Gambit's french is Louisianan but that's just fucking awful

I don't know if it's an americanism or a southernism but that is something people say for "a lot."

It never actually occurred to me that it came from beaucoup or how it was spelled, really.

Assuming that we're obviously ignoring all the Messiah Complex character dev, and getting back to basics... I really don't like the whole soldier analogy for Bishop as he's really just a future cop.

I don't think Cheung's art is awful but it's too reminiscent of JRJR's shit

This just makes me think what a shit character young Angel is in comparison to Archangel.

Remender broke Rogue's powers again in Uncanny Avengers

But i thought that Duggan fixed that

Ugh, that narration grates on my nerves. The roster is going to reach Days of Our Lives levels of melodrama.

The one that sells more is the main X-book

This logic.

Why is Bishop back to his early 90s look?

What'd he do this time?

>So, are they gonna ignore the fact that Bishop is a mass murderer with the biggest body count for any hero that isn't Namor?
They already forgot about that in Uncanny Xforce 2

8 pages of preview out of 20, maybe 24, is a lot.

Cheung always does this when unchecked

So, why he get away with everything, while Scott continues to be the most hated mutant in history, even in dead?

>World famous super hero
>Robing the fucking Louvre
>In broad daylight
>In front of countless civies
>blows up a wall
>In Paris 2017
I'm starting to think all the mutant hate blame can be placed squarely on the fucking x-men

Nah, Duggan just performed a WonderManectomy on Rogue.

You would be correct. The X-Men have done more to foster hatred, mistrust, and fear of all mutantkind than any other group or organization.

Death to Mutants, Death to X-Men.

The writer said he is ignoring bad canon parts and its also loose cannon.

>Soule

no

The tragic thing is that it's not even a joke. If one looks at all x-men stories from Onslaught to today, more than half are mess created by themselves. Not that the Avengers are better, but X-men are really disaster bearers and the fact that they admitting in their teams people of dubious moral does not help.

She kissed Deadpool, tried to kiss Gambit and apparently had an off panel fling with Johnny Storm

>joined by a roster of superstar artists beginning with
Oh. Oh, good. They're just gonna go full Savage Wolverine and play musical artists every fucking arc.

Your existence is clearly a very sad one.

also the same faces on everyone.

Remember when Marvel killed Logan? That didn't last long and he's in more books than ever now.

BUT BUT HES STILL DEAD THIS IS A DIFFERENT MARVEL

He is right tho, Betsy a shit.

Why the fuck is gambit robbing the fucking louvre in broad daylight

One for Fantomex

Going by his last solo he does that kind of thing when he gets bored with X-Men stuff.

...nope. That's another X-book I'm not touching.