TFW my grandpa hates Cartoon Network

>TFW my grandpa hates Cartoon Network
>Teen Titans GO marathon is on TV so I understand why he hates it
>Over The Garden Wall is on
>I imagine that he will enjoy it since it's inspired by classic Disney and Fleischer studios cartoons
>OTGW is over
>"Walt Disney is rolling over in his grave right now."

Anyone else have family related Sup Forums stories?

My dad loves watching su with me

Compared to OTGW, Disney shit is fucking garbage, your grandpa has shit taste.

haha a family of fags

>fag
>has a kid

That's what they call a 'Closet Carl'

Stop making fun of my dyad!

I get the feeling your grandpa is the equivalent of a graphicsfag for cartoons. Doesn't matter what the content of it is, the animation had to be that hand drawn semi-realistic silky smoothness or it's dead to him.

Okay pop pop, time to go to the home. Don't let them starve you too often.

i watch it with my older sister

my mom found the singing annoying and said it was off-key

I've been trying to get my dad to watch some of the great new cartoons since like 2010, but I just can't get ahold of him. If he doesn't have time to talk to me, he probably doesn't have time for entertainment

I kinda have to agree though. I love OTGW but classic Disney was something else.

Your mom is right.
A couple of the songs were cute, but they felt like they were sung by the real characters, in world, as opposed to professional singers.
Thats part of the charm of course, but its not what most people would expect.

Finding animation my parents like is very tough. It has to be content made with adults in mind, but not at all raunchy. Pretty much all they like cartoon-wise are Pixar movies, old theatrical shorts, and old prime time cartoons like Flintstones and Too Cat.

He was right, though. My five-year-old brother literally could have made Over the Garden Wall.

>Brother and I used to watch TV together.
>Time after, I moved to my own room, right after my oldest brother left the house.
>Trying to watch TV with him again.

>Steven Universe (before Season 2)
>>Gem Glow.
>>Watch how my brother cringes with the Cookie Cat scene (I don't blame him)
>Over the Garden Wall
>>School episode
>>He hates when people sing about anything on cartoons (for some reason he only likes it on Phineas & Ferb)
>Wander Over Yonder
>>The Baby episode

Now he only watches movies whenever he watches TV. I feel like if I killed cartoons for him.

I bet he is so disappointed in you a full grown man watching childrens cartoons. He probably see's you as we see Chirs Chan

Classic Disney was garbage.

why did you pick so many bad episodes.

me and my wife's son love to watch TTG

>my mom's husband loves watching su with me

I didn't knew those episode were going to play.

The Steven Universe one came off from a special block where a random cartoon is shown.

The rest came from the usual schedule ("WOY 8:30p.m. // OGW 7:00p.m.)

Hello, cuck

My parents introduced the classic disney movies to me. One of my dad's favorite movies is the fox and the hound.
He also likes tom and jerry and the justice league cartoons.
He also binged the whole star wars the clone wars cg show. Even I couldn't do that

Oh hey John K III.

My Grandad loved the Bin Laden episode of South Park. Like, roaring gut-busting laughter. Honestly surprised me.

My mother really only likes Disney, Pixar, old school Looney Toons, and Tom and Jerry. Getting her to watch anything else is a chore because she calls anything passed her era that isn't Disney/Pixar stupid.

I'm gonna try to get her to watch the Avatar series though, since she seen that awful movie and "loved" it.

Dad was a bit more chill though. Loved watching Spongebob, most of the stuff on Toonami and Adult Swim. But the show he liked best was Samurai Jack. One day he seen me watching an episode (the Lava monster one) and sat down to watch with me and he really enjoyed it. That episode is still one of my favorites to this day.

I remember my granddad really irrationally hated The Simpsons and didn't want it on in the house but didn't realize Futurama was by the same creator so gave it a pass.

Forgot he also enjoyed Justice League Unlimited when he could catch it.

My dad really liked Cowboy Bebop.

My dad fucking loved Squidbillies, I remember rewinding scenes over and over again, and me and him would have a good laugh.

My older brother and I watch One-Punch Man and Steven Universe (though we mostly just critizise SU and wait until the show's over) together, it's one of the few things we connect over nowadays and I'm very grateful for it. Our dad sometimes joins us when we watch anime but he doesn't want to admit he likes it.
My younger sister and I talk about Clarence sometimes.
My mom likes watching some Dreamworks movies sometimes, mostly Megamind and The Prince of Egypt

Also, my dad sometimes puts Shawn the Sheep or Wallace & Gromit episodes on his tv to watch together, he's a huge fan of claymation

Me and my dad started to bond by watching regular show, he actually laughs at a lot of the jokes, and likes the music they pic

My mom was a big sailor moon fan, so she loved Steven universe right away

Sometimes, I catch both of them watching Clarence or adventure time together

>Brother gets into Gravity Falls
>Binge watch it with him to the end despite already seeing the whole thing first.
>Try to hold back laughter when he cries bitch tears near the end when it looks like Stan has total amnesia

Here's the thing thought--classic Disney had character.
Old Disney wasn't afraid to get racist or homely, or push the envelope when it came to villains.

But take Disney's recent 3D movies for example
>Big Hero 6
>Villain's daughter is inexplicably alive
>Frozen
>Disney Princess fan-service
>Zootopia
>Sloppy racism/feminism message in a shallow world

Each one of those has a villain plot twist

>Big Hero 6
>Hero's brother ultimately ends up dying for FUCKING NOTHING, not unlike how people often do in real life
>Frozen
>Disney ends up fucking horrified when people want lesbian incest, I doubt that was planned
>Zootopia
>Complete failure at actually addressing racism well, and gender never really came up

As far as villain plot twists go - sometimes, shockingly, people enjoy being mildly surprised? Big Hero 6 was just a fun switch on things, and in another series of events in the same universe, the corporate guy very easily could have ended up the villain - luck just happened to fall the way that it did. Hans was Disney admitting that 'love at first sight' is generally fucking bullshit, and hey, maybe getting engaged to a stranger is a poor plan? Plus, I'm sorry, but I thought he made for a pretty awesome villain (and let's be real here, the true fuckers in this were probably the trolls /conspiracy), and as far as Zootopia goes, it was more of an argument that multiple people are shitty for their own petty reasons - both the lion mayor and sheep mayor are basically self-interested pieces of shit. Also, even JUDY ends up being a kind of accidental villain for a while there, not to mention she is an absurdly crooked cop.

Ah, sorry - just realized I somehow misread your post. Somehow I managed to forget what I read five seconds prior and take it as a general criticism of those movies.

There are some good things about today's villains, I would argue, but at the same time, I have to also agree with you. They may be interesting plot devices, but they don't have CHARACTER like the old show-stealers used to. Out of those three movies, Hans was the best, but at the same time, he's no Judge Frollo, Hades, or Ursula, put it that way.

Though... given the right resources, he could probably be one scary fucker, given how good he was at manipulation and deception.

Sorry if this offend you, but I think that your grandpa is a disney fag.

Not /co but I was watching Adult Swim once while my mother was resting in the recliner kind of half watching and she started getting into Ghost In The Shell: SAC of all the things.

Another time we had either just watched Spirit: Stallion Of The Cimmeron or seen a commercial for it and she made some weird joke about wanting to see a mashup between that and Blackhawk Down.

Nah man, old school Disney was amazing and blows anything around today out of the water.

You're going to have to back that up with an argument because it looks like you're just trolling.

> she started getting into Ghost In The Shell: SAC of all the things.

It's not that surprising. This may be straying into Sup Forums territory, but GitS:SAC is just a good show, animated or not. It's just a sci-fi police procedural, and one of the best sci-fi shows of the last two decades. If a network could afford the special effects it could easily work as a live-action show.

>tfw your grandpa is literally cartoonbrew
existence is suffering

>The Funk
>The Hole Lotta Nuthin
>The Breakfast
>The Wanders
>Any fucking episode with Lord Hater as the MC
>You watch The Toddler

Great going, you fucking retard. Were you dropped on the head as a child?

>I get the feeling your grandpa is the equivalent of a graphicsfag for cartoons. Doesn't matter what the content of it is, the animation had to be that hand drawn semi-realistic silky smoothness or it's dead to him

Animation IS a visual medium. If the animation is too shit it's hard to appreciate what it's trying to convey.

That was the gist of it I gathered. It was most likely one of the less sci-fi episodes too.

Fox keeps trying to make a live-action show like this but they keep going under after a season, probably because they're too conventional outside of the gimmick.

Animation-wise it's still riddled with a lot of errors even though it's smooth. That and if we take every other component of it into account like music, characters, plot, etc., disney is kinda of lacking. Even the classics are only really good because we watched them as kids and it was colorful.

Your dad has top-tier taste.

>stepdad introduced me to comics
>he would read anything marvel
>he really liked the infinity gauntlet and the original guardians of the galaxy
>he started watching DBZ after me and my brother did
>he really liked it
>me and him would watch this weird girl cartoon called "troll girlz" before I would leave for the bus for school
>he's dead now
>I keep thinking how he would love these new MCU movies seeing Thanos, Drax, Yondu, and his favorite actors Stallone and Russel in them

I still miss him sometimes

My dad lately has been OBSESSED with Shaun the Sheep. It's a good show, and I like it, but damn he has been watching YouTube episode compilations non-stop for the past months and I'm not sure how it hasn't tired him out. Other than that my father's taste is pretty shit desu. He made me watch "Mars Needs Moms" with him because he found the movie incredible. He generally likes a lot of garbage animated movies like that weird ass "Strange Magic". He was so invested in it but I was just put off and I left him to watch it by himself midway into the movie because of how bored I was.

My mother blamed Dragon Ball and other cartoons/anime they showed in TV when my brother and I were kids for all of fighting and shit. Is not like kids fight anyway, or the fact my brother's been an abusive little shit most of his life.

I think I'm the only member in my family that likes cartoons; my parents kinda like Miyazaki's movies, but that's it. My father watched Disney with my siblings and me when we were younger, but I doubt he really enjoyed them.

See the pic

Greg is one of the best cartoon dads

I wish my dad cared about me . He never paid child support and was $50k behind when I turned 18 and the fuckers never threw him in jail.

Normies and my parents love King of the Hill so much that they don't even consciously recognize it as animation.

My gramps used to watch simpsons back when it was good in his workshop and bought himself tom and jerry dvds

Oh also my dad got super into stormhawks for some reason. Bought him all of the action figures for his birthday once

>tfw your dad's favorite cartoon is Reddit and Memey

Is there a cartoon/animation news website that isn't Cartoonbrew yet?

My mother has excellent taste. She enjoyed watching Courage during the comfy late period of afternoons, and a few other shows I can't quite recall due to her vague description of them.

The only cartoon my parents watch is The Simpsons and no matter how much I try to explain to them how terrible nu-simpsons is (which is what is mostly aired in my country nowadays) they still keep on watching it.
I honestly get a moderately pissed off at them

This hit me harder then it should have

My dad told me that when I was just an infant, him and I would watch Ren & Stimpy on Sunday mornings. Because I was still a baby I had no idea what was going on, but he enjoyed it and he said I was entertained by the pretty colours

I'm honestly impressed that he was so up to date with cartoons at the time, but unfortunately I don't like Ren & Stimpy myself so I can't exactly bond with him over it

RIP bro-dad

This an OTGW thread? I finally got around to watching it and here were my ratings by episode.
1 - (7/10)
2 - (8/10)
3 - (4/10)
4 - (8/10)
5 - (9/10)
6 - (5/10)
7 - (8/10)
8 - (6/10)
9 - (10/10)
10 - (9/10)

How shit is my taste?

Your grandpa probably went in expecting to hate it, so of course he hated it.
I've shown OtGW to at least a dozen people now, young and old, and they've all enjoyed it. It's undeniably charming and well crafted. Even if it isn't to someone's tastes, to say 'Disney is rolling over in his grave' makes me think he never gave it a chance.

3 isn't as bad as people seem to think but I can understa-
>6 that low
Shit. Your taste is shit.

Nothing happens in six, they play a song to some frogs then get captured only to immediately get away. Wasn't any tension in it at all.

My dad thinks Aqua Teen Hunger Force is one of the greatest animated shows of all time.

I showed it to him when I was 11.

I watch SU with my little cousin. She's 11, enjoys it a lot, sings the songs and cosplayed as Lapis once..

I remember when SpongeBob first started airing, I was on vacation in Massachusetts with my family. I had missed the first few episodes, but I knew it would be good and I was really excited to see it. We were in this shitty hotel and it was check out time, but I knew the newest spongebob was airing soon and I insisted that we stay and watch it. (I know that makes me sound like such a little shit, but that was extremely out of character for young me.)
Everybody loved it, and we've all been watching and quoting sponge bob ever since. Well, just the first three seasons.

First off, the entire episode is charming as fuck and that song they play is the epitome of loveliness.
Second, you're forgetting the reveal that Beatrice has betrayed Wirt and Greg and the subsequent confrontation with Adelaide. Also, Greg's short decision to leave George Washington behind, though short lived, is poignant.
Honestly, even without the dramatic ending, 6 would be one of my favorites just for how comfy it is.

Eh, different strokes. I just wasn't entertained by it, I guess the song was cute. Maybe it was a 6

How would you rank the series overall?

I think your father might be autistic.

Probably an 8. Wasn't a huge fan of Greg but he almost redeemed himself at the end. Kinda liked all the twists along the way, but I feel like Greg could've been replaced with a different kind of character and the weaker episodes wouldn't have been so tedious for me.

I only started watching Gravity Falls because I was looking for something my little cousin would enjoy. We both ended up loving it.
We also watch Bob's Burgers and SpongeBob together a lot, and I'm trying to get her into Avatar.

Most of my family is pretty top-tier as far as anime/cartoons are concerned (two weeb sisters who like quality animation, little brother would hate Sup Forums but likes most Sup Forums things), my parents appreciate independent works and have recently started buying some Don Bluth films; oh and they hated Courage the Cowardly dog at first because they don't like seeing animals suffer, but got really into it later. Also they always picked up Studio Ghibli movies on VHS, and the cultural differences discussion was pretty hilarious when we picked up Pom Poko.

I buy episodes of Steven Universe to watch with an aunt and sister on weekends, we always sing the theme.

Weirdest Sup Forums thing for me was meeting an old flaming gay dude (helping people through my church, dude has substantial health and subsists on social security, not very mobile, I cut his hair and help him shop, help with his yard and chat basically) who is a huge fucking weeb and cartoon nerd. He had a bunch of Fleischer films on DVD, and knows more about X-men than I do by a long shot. The dude cannot understand the internet (which makes getting services he needs really challenging sometimes) but he'd be awful on here because he fucking loves arguing about tedious bullshit in fantasy worlds. He likes Ghibli films, but he hasn't seen the latest so I'm going to buy him some of the recent releases and some other stuff like Song of the Sea, Triplets of Belleville and so on. If you want to learn about how horrible the AIDs crisis was, talk to him, poor son-of-a-bitch lost his whole extended family.

I also have an old Sup Forums aunt who has been a writer for a long time, but has also been into degenerate-tier gay fanfiction writing since the late 60's. I only know this because I helped her get rid of a lot of old sci-fi magazines and other books she had filling up an entire room, there were a billion old Star Trek 'zines with Kirk and Spock fuckin', all of which she kept =P.

Fuck I have a weird family.

Just as an aside, we got Pom Poko on DVD not VHS, I hit the word limit.

1-8: shit/10
9-10: decent/10
How right is my taste?

You're not the first person I've spoken to who didn't care for Greg.
He works for me, though. He's the 'annoying little brother' archetype, but done well. He's so sweet and relentlessly optimistic that you can't hate him, especially when he sacrifices himself for Wirt.
Plus, he just has a lot of good lines.
"We're here to burgle your turts" gets me every time.

>93447612
>This level of bait holy shit.
Not even worth a (you)

>Mom loves old animation from the golden age like Fleischer stuff, as well as some oldschool anime, and appreciates it as a medium even if she doesn't like most modern stuff.
>Dad hates all animation period on principle and would change the channel if he saw me watching it as a kid, only humors really classic stuff like Disney but always shows disinterest when he actually watches it.
It was kinda weird with her excitedly showing me stuff and my dad endlessly talking down on it.

Really? I don't remember that episode as being all that funny.

Your first mistake was expecting old people to like anything.

>why dosent my grandpa like cartoons?!?!?!?
because hes an old man and wants to watch westerns or war movies