twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

hannah barbera = cartoon characters owned by hannah barbera
wildstorm = a reboot of a superhero universe jim lee made in the 90s
vertigo = creator owned comics

Hanna Barbera = All Ages
Wildstorm = edgy shit
Vertigo = dead
Dark matter = Jim Lee trying to relive his Wildstorm days

Is Hannah Barbera really aimed at all ages though? Why do the art styles look like they are trying to make the cartoony franchises more adult/teen?

Okay, so Wildstorm feels like Edgy stuff.

Did Vertigo really die?

I never even heard of Dark Matter.

I read they were working on a children's/young readers imprint coming in 2018. Excited to see what they do with that since I tend to prefer toon-style art. It's a shame Darwyn Cooke passed away. He use to go on these long rants about how DC and Marvel don't make comics for children anymore.

the rebooted wildstorm is not really edgy at all and vertigo isnt dead but it had its best period over 2 decades ago now when it was basically an adult dc imprint rather than strictly creator owned comics

Vertigo actually isn't creator-owned.
Just more adult comics not set in the DCU made by all-star DC creators.

>Is Hannah Barbera really aimed at all ages though?
No.

>Why do the art styles look like they are trying to make the cartoony franchises more adult/teen?
Because that's exactly what they're doing.

>Okay, so Wildstorm feels like Edgy stuff.
It was created to essentially be a superhero universe with more realistic, morally-complex characters that can progress in ways Marvel/DC characters can't, which often just came down to edgy shit, but lots of incredible stuff was done with it and it was very innovative for its time.

>Did Vertigo really die?
No, but it's not selling well, its creator Karen Berger left a couple years ago, and there's not much motivation for creators to do books for them instead of Image since they don't get to own their own IPs.

>I never even heard of Dark Matter.
It literally started this month.

>Wildstorm edgy shit
They are the only ones that make good gay characters though

it is creator owned these days although i think DC has some limited rights like first refusal or some shit

>“Dark Matter is a return to bringing both the writer and artist to the fore to unlock their full potential,” explains Publisher Jim Lee. “At the talent summit we discussed what was missing in comics and how we could create something that’s new for this generation of fans. The result was Dark Matter. You’ll see bombastic action scenes and a visual narrative driven by the artist. This approach has energized the creators involved, myself included, and we’re going to have a lot of fun with these books.”

Is Dark Matter an elseworld where creators can do whatever they want with characters?

Not exactly, but they're introducing some concept called the "Dark Multiverse" in Metal so I anticipate that's going to open up a new universe for them to play around in.

It must be something big since they are putting a lot of top talents on it.

>top talents

Haha yeah right. There is literally not one interesting looking Dark Matter book. Pure artist wank. Skipping it all.

>top talents
Lol

Artists are the only ones that matter in comics

I agree with this.

What top artists does it even have? Because Lee is shit and Jrjr is past it.

Greg Capullo, Jim Lee, Tony S. Daniel and KENNETH FUCKIN ROCAFORT. You guys blind or just have terrible taste?

It's basically an excuse for Lee and Capullo to circlejerk because they're butthurt artists aren't the main draw for books anymore like they were in the 90's.

Not like writers are a draw either. The comic industry is dead with neckbeards preferring vidya.

currently
DC=Pretty Good sometimes, minus snyder
HB= Pretty Good sometimes, but more times than DC
YA=Irredeemable shit

>Capullo
hes alright I guess

>Jim Lee
can't draw for shit anymore

>Tony S. Daniel
lol

>Kenneth Rocafort
mildly interesting

>Artists are the only ones that matter in comics
Stop reading comics and go to an art museum or whatever

LOL

this. It doesn't look like it's touching any of the books I read so I'm fine with it. I just want it all to go away.

Snyder is DC's Slott. He needs to go.

I mean they definitely matter but a comic-book completely driven by art will end up being shit

Why don't you stop reading comics and just go read the newspaper with imageblock on.

The state of the industry compared to video games isn't the point. They're talking only about people who actually buy comics.

Not many people buy a book because of the artist like they did in the 90's. Of course most buy a book for the character on the cover, but for people who DO follow creators, they usually follow writers. When people cite a book or a run, they refer to the writer, not the artist. This is even true of trades/omnis that come out now; it's "Green Lantern by Geoff Johns", not "Green Lantern by Geoff Johns and Ethan van Sciver" or whoever the fuck drew that run.

Geoff Johns, Brian Michael Bendis, Tom King, Scott Snyder, Warren Ellis, Mark Millar and Grant Morrison can sell a book on their name alone. There's not many artists that can say the same now, except maybe Jim Lee. Lee and Capullo are very publicly butthurt about this and in the reveal of Dark Matter they said they want to reverse this and went on about how "the artist is the director" and that the script is barely important.

>Hanna Barbera = All Ages
Wacky Racers was adult. An apocalypse, gorey deaths, and a guy with a sex change.

I always got the impression that Jim Lee was humble when it came to writers really making a comic work. He always spoke highly of all the writers he worked with and even talked about how it's too difficult for him to write his own comic although it's still a goal of his by the end of his career. Does the hunger of an artist rise out of him when he gathers with bros like Capullo?

I kinda agree. The designs are a clusterfuck. I like these artists but left to their own devices apparently they just go full retard.

Well, he's a pretty nice and diplomatic guy, so he wasn't being as savage as Capullo, but he was still saying they want artists to be on top again.

Yeah, the WHOLE HB line is adult. Flintstones = cultural satire, Wacky Racers = Mad Max: Fury Road, Scooby Apocalypse = adult comedy, etc. They have a Scooby-Doo comic and Scooby-Doo team-up that are for kids but not part of this line

youtu.be/WaJhpqAWjuE

Young Animals is what Vertigo used to be. Though technically, Young Animals is basically mature audience experimental takes on existing DC heroes, without permanently losing them to Vertigo (who had a very nasty rep of not playing ball with mainline DC as far as any character showing up in a Vertigo book being declared Vertigo's property and DC mainline books being denied usage of them).

These days Vertigo is basically a shell of an imprint: creator owned books and non-cape shit that DC partly finances (like Fables)

Wildstorm meanwhile was a vanity imprint for Jim Lee, as they had to keep Wildstorm going when DC bought it to keep Jim happy

>Greg Capullo
Yes

>Jim Lee
Hahahaha

>Tony Daniel
Lol

>Rocafort
See above

>Stan Lee: No need to fight over it, it's obviously my creation
holy kek, the balls on Stan Lee to joke about that

>I like these artists but left to their own devices apparently they just go full retard.

Damn, that's such a great way to put it.

>Acting like all comic artists are unhinged maniacs only tamed by their writer. Please stop.

That's not what I said. I agree with them that the artist is an absolutely essential part of the story. I also don't agree with the idea that a story with a bad script can't be made good by a good artist. The telling of the story is at least as important as the story itself.

However a book with shitty half-assed art can also be saved by having a good story and dialogue. Ironically, JRJR who's a major name for this imprint has been transparent at often doing rushed art for the purpose of making more money.

Ultimately I prefer a good story told poorly to a bad story told well, but I'd prefer BOTH to be good.

They need to bring Benes. That guy needs work and I want to see asses in my funny books

Speaking of Hanna-Barbera, where are the series? Scooby is the only one running, and Dastardly and Muttley is slated for September. I wanted The Jetsons THIS SUMMER