What Could Have Been: Marvel Animation Edition

Spectacular Spider-Man:

>Hobgoblin, Scorpion, Mr. Negative, Carnage, and Hydro-Man as villains in season 3
>Kingpin as a major villain; as he was owned by Marvel, Tombstone was used
>The Clone Saga as a season 3 arc
>Emily Osborn being given a bigger role, voiced by Marina Sirtis
>MJ as Peter's season 3 love interest (Gwen would still be alive)

Other urls found in this thread:

rollingstone.com/music/news/foo-fighters-sue-marvel-comics-over-x-men-cartoon-20080221
youtu.be/9OgKIefdicQ
s8.org/gargoyles/askgreg/search.php?qid=20725
s8.org/gargoyles/askgreg/search.php?rid=842
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Reminder that Spectacular was cancelled amidst the Disney purchase so that Sony could retain the exclusive movie rights.

>plans for STV movies after a five season run
>would have dealt with the more adult storylines like the deaths of Jean DeWolfe and Gwen Stacy

>>The Clone Saga as a season 3 arc
I prefer the three episode arcs the show had

And since then, Marvel's Spider-Man cartoons and Sony's Spider-Man movies have been nothing but trash. Truly the worst timeline.

How would that fit with the Clone Saga as an overall season arc? Scorpion, Carnage and Hobgoblin all being Jackal's genetic experiments in order to perfect a Spider-Man clone?

Come to think of it, what the hell is Warren's motivation in a world where Gwen is still alive and fucking Harry Osborn?

Earth's Mightiest Heroes:

>Season 3 bringing in more elements from the magic/supernatural side of Marvel
>Originally, the show was intended to be a Hulk solo series
>Dr. Doom and Magneto were originally intended as villains; however, it was decided that they would be more suited as F4 and X-Men villains
>Mockingbird as an Avenger in season 3
>Taskmaster as an S3 villain
>A Civil War arc in S3
>Emperor Stark was originally intended to be an Emperor Doom adaptation
>Intended to be in the same continuity as Wolverine And The X-Men
>S3 episodes plots could have been Impossible Man giving Ant-Man, Wasp, Captain America, and Hulk the powers of the F4; Deathlok, Daimon Hellstrom, and Rom appearing; an X-Men/Avengers team-up; Hulk allying with Crystar (an obscure 80's character from a toyline; he was in a Robot Chicken sketch); Giant-Man allying with Monica Rambeau and Machine Man; Wasp becoming Captain Universe; and Thor and Adam Warlock vs Shuma Gorath
>Assemble was intended to be a sequel, but executives wanted it to be inspired by the MCU

Oh, and season 4.

>Giant-Man allying with Monica Rambeau and Machine Man
>tfw no Nextwave episode

Wolverine And The X-Men:

>Originally intended as a Wolverine solo show
>Nolan North as Deadpool in season 2
>An Age Of Apocalypse season 2 arc
>Emma Frost would've been revealed to have survived, possessing Jean
>A crossover episode with EMH, involving Wolverine, Hawkeye, and Black Widow on a black ops mission
>Colossus officially joining the team in S2
>Tara Strong as Magik
>Cyclops and Jean in their 90's costumes
>A character development arc for Cyclops, giving him a more mature, heroic personality

Dr. Doom did get to be a villain for an episode during the Skrull arc. Obviously it later turned out that he was right all along

And the Hulk VS Wolverine short is set in the EMH/Wolverine And The X-Men universe.

Fuck off, Spectacular was amazing

My guess is that there would have been an arc about the symbiotes and Mr. Negative, one for Hobgoblin (probably involving Norman Osborn and Ned Lee), one about Jackal and Ben Riley, and some other arc that could have been fucking anything. Hydro-man and Scorpion would probably have just been one-off villains who don't heavily tie into whatever arc they appear in.

That second to last point was false. It was just one of the show's artists drawing those scenarios for fun. None of them were actually meant to be season 3 plots.

This was another consequence of the Disney purchase. While it's true that they bought Marvel before it aired, EMH was already being worked and was separate from Disney except from what channel it was on. Then season 2 happened and Man of Action was hired to finish it off before it was cancelled in favor of another cartoon that incorporates Marvel synergy and dumbed down writing to sell toys to kids.

At least Will makes a great Bumblebee but I agree he's a bad fit for Quill.

Its funny, I started out hating Spectacular but slowly grew to love it. Whereas I loved the 90's Spider-man cartoon but once I re-watched them realize how mediocre it really was.

OP's Clone Saga mention is pulled straight from his ass. We would've had Warren doing his shit, but nothing confirmed a Clone Saga adaptation.

Still kind of pissed about that. The finale teasing AoA had me so excited.

>Kingpin as a major villain; as he was owned by Marvel, Tombstone was used

This is only half true. Weisman still had plans for Kingpin and originally wanted to use him. If they still couldn't, he had interest in using Mr. Negative as his replacement.

Also, a few more from Spectacular

>Walter Hardy would've had his trial in season three, though it's unknown if that would've been a plot point.
>Weisman planned to do a Spider-Mobile arc either in season three or four.
>A Spring Break arc in season three would've featured the high school kids, Aunt May, and Emily Osborn going to Florida, where they meet the Connors family. Kraven would've wanted to hunt the Lizard as a worthy prey, and used Calypso's magic to turn him back into that.
>Aunt May would've had a bigger focus, to the point of getting her own title card in the intro, and showing more regarding her cookbook deal
>A potential spin-off would have been initiated in seasons three or four regarding Flint Marko, Felicia Hardy, and Hobie Brown.
>Weisman couldn't use the other Marvel characters, but originally wanted to do team-ups, particularly the Human Torch, the X-Men, Captain America, and the Hulk.
>During SSM, the only other established heroes are the Fantastic Four. Cap is still on ice, the Hulk is just a myth, Stark hasn't taken his fateful trip yet, etc.
>Peter's Spider-Man costume was inspired by Uncle Ben's Captain America tales and merchandise he gave on to Peter when he was a kid. Ben was a massive Cap fan in his youth.
>other future planned story arcs involved Peter and Eddie's parents and Peter finding out his web shooter tech being used by Oscorp.

Now in color

>A potential spin-off would have been initiated in seasons three or four regarding Flint Marko, Felicia Hardy, and Hobie Brown.
Someone needs to kick Weisman's ass and explain to him that cartoons aren't comic books and don't get off-shoot series about minor characters. I swear to god, that guy had like 10 different Gargoyles spin-offs he wanted to do, all revolving around characters nobody gives enough of a damn about to actively care about.

Right? I feel like no one watched this show as it sort of just fell through the cracks compared to Spectacular Spider-man.

The Gargoyles spin-offs weren't really his idea. The Disney heads at the time wanted to create an animated superhero universe to compete with Marvel's, so they wanted Gargoyles to set that up.

Also, I don't think Weisman wanted to make a literal spin-off. He probably thought it had potential, but had no serious plans about it. Nothing wrong with theoretical thinking.

I suppose this is why showrunners don't like to discuss potential ideas for their shows: to spare autistic tantrums such as this one.

>The Disney heads at the time wanted to create an animated superhero universe to compete with Marvel's, so they wanted Gargoyles to set that up.
And then they realized all they had to do was devour their competition. They're going to have a monopoly on entertainment eventually.

Couldn't they continue this series if they wanted to by just changing the name?

Everytime I see this thread I get sad, why they have to kill the good shows?

No, Sony owns the designs, premise, etc. There would be a lot of red tape to get through.

Besides, Marvel and Disney don't give a fuck. They've never been respectful to their past cartoons like DC and WB have been to theirs. Why would they start caring now?

ROM the space knight.

I said 'if they really wanted to'.
They could change the designs, like BTAS did down the line, and there's no way Sony owns the premise of high school Spiderman or any of the ideas for the future episodes.

If you're gonna start posting those, at least reiterate the point that they're something the show's artist did for fun and have nothing to do with season 3.

There's still a lot of specific storyline ideas they wouldn't be able to use, not just broad concepts like high school Spidey.

It's impossible to bring back. It sucks, but that's life.

I enjoyed Season 1 a lot and a lot of that was based on how good the show could potentially be in Season 2.
It was a hit on NickToons Network. With Wolverine and Iron Man, they were seeing numbers they never did before and even went and scooped up the Fantastic Four show Cartoon Network treated like shit to round out their Friday night Marvel block.
They really wanted to keep the show too, showing up at the SDCC Panel to show how down they were for Season 2, which was part of why the cancellation felt so out of the blue.
The only reason they would ever give was that their partner went under or something and the series lost its funding.
Before EMH, all the Marvel shows were being done with financial partners though and I think the one for WATX was either Toonz Entertainment or Liberation or something.
If anybody remembers, one of the things that got people excited to watch Wolverine in the first place was that unofficial trailer with all the rock songs Marvel's partner leaked on their website.
It got them sued by at least the Foo Fighters and I think having to pay out for that was a big reason why Season 2 didn't happen.
It really sucks how all the good shit they did pre-Disney was cursed for one reason or another and all the bad shit that comes after was secure.
Ultimate Spider-Man had four times as many episodes as Spectacular or Wolverine.
It's legit the longest running Marvel cartoon and Avengers Assemble is about to tie it.

rollingstone.com/music/news/foo-fighters-sue-marvel-comics-over-x-men-cartoon-20080221
youtu.be/9OgKIefdicQ

It was at least Netflix like all the Marvel shows were before they didn't renew their deals.
I think a big reason Spectacular lives on is the love places like Sup Forums have for it.
Well they did have that run on Vortexx too.

I love it
Having it be Nerdy Gwen makes it that much worse

I'm still pissed Marvel didn't seem to pursue owning ROM

>They've never been respectful to their past cartoons like DC and WB have been to theirs.

I really hate Marvel as as a company.

Yeah I mean Hasbro really wants to push their own cinematic universe thing but it doesn't seem like they have much to add for ROM. ROM benefited from being integrated into the Marvel Universe.

Spectacular was having no luck from all angles. From what I remember, layoffs were already happening for most of the crew at least a year before we heard about the Disney deal. Then the KidsWB block dies and they lose their channel. Disney XD picked it up and probably had no thoughts about trying to renew it. The season 2 finale aired without voice audio. Marvel getting the TV rights back was like the final nail.

It was too good for this Earth. Somewhere in the multiverse, they probably got their 5 seasons and a continuing PG-13 movie series.

Fuck, I didn't know about the whole trailer thing. Thanks for that bit of info.

>The season 2 finale aired without voice audio
Christ

It was surreal. I had already seen the Canadian caps of it but I was just being a naive fan and watching it live, hoping that every little bit counted towards them getting a season 3 renewal. The episode starts and you just hear music as Spider-Man is fighting Goblin's gang. I'm trying to remember if it was always like that or if it was an accident. Once they got to scenes at the school and everything was when I could definitely see somebody fucked up. The whole episode played with just music. It was insane.

>A crossover episode with EMH, involving Wolverine, Hawkeye, and Black Widow on a black ops mission

Source on this? Because Yost mentioned that EMH, while initially intended to cross-over, abandoned those plans, as seen with Nick Fury and Wendigo being different.

I wish this had happened to something like Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad.

That would be like Sopranos finale madness times 10

I tutored two Japanese boys in English and used to show one SSM episode at the end to round out the class. They loved it.
The part where the principal says Flash shouldn't help Liz to study because they wanted her grades to go up, not down, was the first completely verbal joke the older brother fully understood on his own. Moment of pride.

I have some of the images saved and i don't know why

Spreading the TSSM love. Good stuff

The mash-up poster was always nice

>>Originally, the show was intended to be a Hulk solo series

I used to think it seemed like such a bad idea. Then Agents of SMASH kind of resurrected the concept and did it way worse.

I think the proposed Thor series got worked into it as well

Didn't Greg mention something about wanting Johnny Storm for an episode?

Both Spider-man and Wolverine got terrible ratings when the shows aired despite being critically acclaimed

s8.org/gargoyles/askgreg/search.php?qid=20725
s8.org/gargoyles/askgreg/search.php?rid=842

It's kind of sad looking back at this stuff. Everything still seemed so hopeful.

Because corporations don't care about feeling. All they need is money.

I'm still mad that the last hurrah for Josh Keaton in EMH was ruined by fucking Loeb and Debt Bell

They were already planning to kill the show for their own little shit fest and they still couldn't just let it be great.

Fucking Loeb ruined everything

Why does Loeb have a job?

I didn't know some of this, and now I'm extremely angry.

I don't even know
He becomes friends with the right people

It kills me how Marvel works. They don't go after people who've made god-like cartoons in the the past like Weisman, Genndy or even JMS (who Quesada chased away his bullshit) but instead they get Man of Action. They hire somebody like Paul Dini as just a consultant and don't even get him behind a cartoon. They just have him sitting around in a room to bounce ideas around with MOA, Bendis, and Loeb. Even if you hate MOA, I don't think any of their other other cartoons ever came out as bad as the Marvel ones. People were tied down by the bullshit and doing the worst work of their career under Loeb's Marvel Animation. That whole studio needs to be rebooted from the top down. Wacker is just a toadie carrying on the same ideals.