I was thinking about checking out Ultimate Spider-man...

I was thinking about checking out Ultimate Spider-man. Now I know Sup Forums doesn't like this Bendis guy but I was wondering what you guys thought about it.

You're wondering what I think about Bendis?

nothing but build-up followed by anti-climax again and again. nothing ever gets a good pay-off

Made me fall in love with Spidey all over again, right up until about the Venom arc.

Shortly after that, the whole Ultimate universe started to disappear up its own ass, and this leaked into Ultimate Spidey and slowly started to ruin it.

No, Ultimate Spider-man.

Perhaps the only half decent thing Bendis has produced.

It hasn't aged well. It was amazing for its time, but time has taken its toll. It's hard to see why its so special through the Bendisisms, and 'retelling the early Spidey years' has been done better in other mediums (Spectacular Spider-Man in particular).

Read the first few volumes. It was when Bendis ctually had a witty style that relied on more than false banter. It's still there, but it's more genuine. There's a sense of young-spirit that died as his works went on.

Check it out and see for yourself. That's honestly the best advice I can give you, because it's either hit or miss for most people.

Ultimate Spider-Man? As in Miles Morales created by Bendis?

it's probably the best Bendis stuff, i like daredevil more but having not read either recently i think spidey probably holds up better

No, the Peter Parker Spider-man pictured in the OP from the series that started in 2001 or something.

2001? Like the same year 9/11 happened?

Probably one of the best of Bendis' works.

Next to his Daredevil.

1610 Jessica Drew was a fun idea. I wish she replaced Peter instead of Miles.

I stopped reading marvel when she went away...

The guy (Peter 1610) was unnecesary killed, then he was unnecesary ressurected and then unnecesary killed again

Unnecessarily killed is a running theme of the entire Ultimates line. The resurrection part is especially bad since it implied that Miles is immortal too.

Yeah, 2001.

At some point I was hoping that Aunt May, Kitty Pryde, and Gwen Stacy were going to get affected by OZ and become immortal too. Like it would be funny if all the stupid over-the-top destruction that Millar, Loeb, Hickman, and others kept doing affected the rest of the Ultimate universe and the USM cast just kept plugging along like nothing else was happening.

It's a very hit and miss run, with issues past 60-ish being more miss than anything.

You'd be better off reading the "Marvel Adventures" stuff. It offers everything in a much cleaner, fun format, and has the best Spidey waifu to exist in comics.

Stop

Stop?

Bendis isn't as bad as Sup Forums makes him out to be. Ultimate Spider-Man, his Daredevil run, and I'd say New Avengers (despite the hate it gets) are all really good stuff he did for Marvel. That's about it though.

Stop, huh?

Bendis has a serious problem with conclusions, but once you get past that, it's fucking fantastic. Every single arc (besides Death of a Goblin). Even Miles' stuff is really good too (up until after Cataclysm).
Bendisspeak is also prominent, but it's not nearly as bad as his more recent work, and the rest of the dialogue is so good that it's easily ignorable.

This was basically the only time Bendis was good.
Ultimate Spider-Man is essentially the reason he's on everything now.
While that is a bad thing, Ultimate Spidey was great.

I've read his Daredevil and Ultimate Spidey. I adore them both and they've made me a big fan of his style. However, with the complete shit disappointment that was Uncanny X-Men (and the rest of his bullshit, if I'm being honest), I'm ready to put him behind me. I'd like to read his Alias and New Avengers and then I'm fucking out forever.

I highly doubt that Bendis can keep the Avengers franchise interesting for 10 years, so can you guys help me out with when to stop? I've heard at least the first 6 arcs are pretty solid.

Was great up until Bagley left. Something about the writing took a clear drop in quality after that.

Stop after you get done reading Siege.

It's the only good thing Bendis ever did. Still has ups and downs, but enjoy it, especially the early years.

I disagree, but I do think it became a little more formulaic.

Although, now that I say that, there was plenty of fresh ideas after Bagley left. The Ultimatum tie-in was amazing and very emotional, the David Lafuente stuff was actually very different and focused on more of a team/family dynamic with all the kids living in May's house. Plus, the Death of Spider-Man, regardless of the motivation behind it, was actually ballsy as fuck on Bendis' part, and Pete went out like a boss.

Huh? Yes. Stop.

his daredevil?

yeah the early street level stuff was fine

The best part of his Avengers run was Wonder Man and Ares

this guy gets it: usm, daredevil and new avengers by bendis are all great. usm is fucking amazing. they're the only good thing he's ever done tho. i guess jessica jones vol 1 is pretty based too.

jesus fucking christ you just broke my dick

His Daredevil is a masterpiece.

What is Bendisspeak?

Also, when do I stop reading and considering how long this run is should I go for the standard volumes or the ultimate collections?

Bendisspeak?

Challenge: Make a sizeable recommended reading for 1610 Jess. Don't just make it her earliest appearances.

I actually got the first Ultimate Spider-Man Omni for Christmas last year. It's pretty good at giving you another look at Peter's beginnings, though I think it really falls apart after the Goblin arc. Bendisspeak, while around, isn't as bad as it is as bad as it is now.

Reminder that the game was originally gonna be canon to the comics.

So is do Zendaya's friend's call her MJ in the film or what? I have to know whether to go or not.

I think the first 110 issues are perfect. Some other people like to cut it shorter than that. Just start at the beginning and keep going until you feel like stopping. It stays good longer than most ongoings do.

Bendisspeak?
As in speak written by Bendis?

A couple of reddit leakers said so, but i don't buy it just yet, feels too stupid - not because of the raceswap, but because who the hell thought it would be a good idea to make her a new character that is a classic character at the same time? The others were altered this way or the other but still kept their names, why wouldn't MJ? Who thinks a secondary character having matching initials is a twist worth building up during the entire movie, worth lying about while promoting the movie? It just feels too contrived to be true

Heck, Michelle has been described as an unpopular, snarky loner, who are these nicknaming friends? In another thread an user replied "well, that's the joke and Peter says so"... fucking convenient

Someone should story time it. Or at least the parts with Peter.