The Valiant Universe

Seriously why should I bother with this setting? Just look at it, it's so... boring looking.

They're just trying to stick around long enough to get a cinematic universe off the ground.

Not that a movie's getting made anytime soon.

Wait is this the one with that Igor faces fatass chick whose powers are she's so fat she has her own gravitation pull?("companion field")

Fuck off.

is this another weeaboo shit?

>why should I bother
genre diversity
tight continuity
no big events
decent to good writing

Better than Marvel, imo.

>why should I bother
Almost every problem with a modern publisher/superhero universe that you can think of is virtually non-existent for Valiant.
>no forced diversity
>no intrusive events
>no overcrowding the shelves
>ratio of good-to-bad books is significantly better than Marvel or DC.
>no tangled and complicated continuity
>their events are actually good and have lasting effects
>no constant relaunches

American.

Valiant was selling more than both DC and Marvel at one point... hard to believe

>Almost every problem with a modern publisher/superhero universe that you can think of is virtually non-existent for Valiant.

Isn't that the publisher with the fat pig heroine that teamed up with Hillary to fight Bernie Sanders for being a white male?

>Isn't that the publisher with the fat pig heroine that teamed up with Hillary to fight Bernie Sanders for being a white male?
Ok first of all, they didn't fight Bernie Sanders because he was a white male. Not sure where you got that.
Secondly, that was a short story included with a full-size continuation of the series.
Thirdly, that was literally the only instance of Valiant going political.
Stop exaggerating.

I read some of the vintage Valiant stuff and amazed at how bland they were able to make a guy who punches robots with his bear hands and Japan being a dragon transformer disguised as a moon.

Agreed. The only good 90's Valiant books are Solar 1-10, Archer & Armstrong, parts of Shadowman, and the Unity crossover.

It's not my fucking job to convince you to read good things. If you don't read it and deprive yourself of something good, it's no skin off my ass.

bump

>Literally judging a book by its cover
Just stick with marvel, i heard they are going to release a bunch of flashy covers soon.

Ninjak is pretty awesome. It's James Bond crossed with... ninjas and some Batman. Bloodshot was so-so. The current X-O Manowar is terrific though. Absolute Space-KINO.

>tight continuity
too tight, I couldn't read one book without having to read five others and it pissed me off. I like books to be able to stand alone and have an occasional tie in to thread everything together.

Back when Spawn ruled the world.

Who made the decision to bring Valiant back? Where's Turok, Solar and Magnus? Are the old Gold Key heroes not a part of the reboot?

What did you try to read?, most books are pretty standalone aside from the occasional crossover, and there only has been like three.

Sucks that the only books I cared about ended up getting cancelled or don't have a regular release.

I like Eternal Warrior as a character, love his concept actually, too bad he's basically the flagship character and most of the universe revolves around him and his actions...

Bloodshot is cool, wish I cared enough about his character to keep reading but he's basically just a Cyborg Punisher and that just takes out almost all the tension you usually get from a character like Punisher

Rai I really liked up until the 4001 A.D. event then everything just fell apart and I didn't give a shit anymore

Basically Valiant is fun for a bit until you delve in deeper and just get bored or annoyed by the Hellboy level of continuity or the poor execution of great ideas. Valiant will never get what makes people read DC and Marvel tho, and that's nostalgia. I want Valiant to be amazing but they're pretty shitty at promoting their franchises, or atleast the ones fans actually care about. They also need to find a way to have all their books stand alone by themselves without using guest stars of other characters as a constant crutch. They're trying to build something with zero foundation.

I've tried Bloodshot Reborn, Ninjak, Eternal Warrior, Archer & Armstrong, and Rai. I really want to be invested in this universe but everything is so tightly nit that I feel like I can't read one book without having to read 4 others. Plus Valiant is trying to push something that is not needed in the comic industry and that's a whole new superhero universe, we already have Marvel and DC. The majority of comic book fans don't want to invest in a whole new universe which is why I feel in order for Valiant to sell they need to separate characters even more from eachother to the point where it feels like they're each their own world, like X-Men has a drastically different feel from the Avengers to the point where it feels like they don't even share the same universe, atleast that's the way it was for Marvel before recent years happened.

One more thing to add, it doesn't help that the whole feel and design of the universe still reeks of the 90s, the character designs are downright awful/bland and don't feel iconic at all. If anything most of the characters feel like blatant rip offs/shitty redesigns of already established comic book icons. Bloodshot being a "Cyborg" Punisher as an example.

Who's the ninja dude in OP's picture?

Ninjak

>Bloodshot Reborn, Ninjak, Eternal Warrior, Archer & Armstrong, and Rai
With the exception of Bloodshot Reborn, most of those series are pretty standalone, Archer & Armstrong, and Rai Archer barely have any connection with the rest of the universe.

In terms of quality, it blows Marvel and DC out of the water.

Bloodshot was a solid alternative to The Punisher, and had excellent plotting for single issue action packed tales.

You shouldn't, unless you're going to let yourself get tricked by memes and viral marketers.

Marvel and DC are pure shit right now. Valiant is still worse though.

>I couldn't read one book without having to read five others and it pissed me off.
>I feel like I can't read one book without having to read 4 others
Literally how could you possibly feel this way? Everything is very disconnected to the point where fanboys are annoyed that every feels too disparate. Are you just making shit up in order to find something to hate?

notsureifshillorcontratianfor(you)s.gif

I like A&A and Q&W but they do reference other books A LOT, even if they specifically promised they wouldn't do that when they relaunched, and it's an annoyingly cheap tactic to try and force people to pick up books they're not actually interested in.

I'm not even either of those anons.

>too bad Eternal Warrior's basically the flagship character and most of the universe revolves around him and his actions...
How is this a bad thing? You should be grateful because his solo books don't sell well at all.

>Rai I really liked up until the 4001 A.D. event then everything just fell apart
This doesn't make much sense. Everything was supposed to fall apart. It was the end finale to the mega-arc of Rai 1-16. Nothing has come after it yet, so how can you say you don't give a shit anymore when you haven't even had anything to judge?

>They're trying to build something with zero foundation.
Well this is just blatant bullshit. They've built some solid as fuck foundations for their major character: Dysart's Harbinger, Van Lente's Archer & Armstrong, Venditti and now Kindt's X-O, Swiercynzki and Lemire's Bloodshot, Asmus' Quantum & Woody, and all of the big events: Harbinger Wars, Armor Hunters, The Valiant, Book of Death, and Stalinverse.

I mean really, what more can you ask for in a superhero shared universe foundation?

You're so fucking dumb dude. Have you even read either of those series?
>A&A
Ties in to a lot of the universe as a whole, because it is actively building the universe. It's kind of the cornerstone of the Valiant U. That was it's exact goal. And other than Armstrong's brothers, Ivar and Gilad, there really isn't many guest stars or major events that you need to know about to understand what's going on.

>Q&W
Literally has nothing to do with the rest of the universe until The Delinquents, which is a standalone crossover with ONLY A&A.

Dude, I'm a self-admitted Valiant shill, but you guys are talking out of your asses. I've read this shit like 3 times through and I can say without a doubt that you are bullshitting.

>they don't share my opinion so they must be trolling
user pls, don't be dumb

>self-admitted shill
You could've stated that in the first post so your irrelevant posts could be duly ignored. Arguing with obsessive fanboys is just as pointless as arguing against religion with a snackbar tier fundie.

Facts are facts. I love Valiant, but that doesn't mean I think everything that do is gold. They've made plenty of mistakes, but their wins far outweigh their losses.

The should have a crossover........maybe with Image...a Deathmate, if you will.

You joke but i would really like to see what modern topcow would do.

So who dying in Harbinger Renegades #5 and why is it Kris?

>modern
>Top Cow
topkek

is Quantum and Woody good? i have seen a couple of funny panels and i'm interested.

It's pretty good. I don't think it really deserves the awards and critical praise it's gotten, but it is legitimately funny. Like laugh out loud funny at times.

I liked pretty much all of the 90's Valiant books except for Ninjak, Archer & Armstrong, and Doctor Mirage

Bloodshot, Shadowman, and X-O were probably my top favorites, as the majority of my meager Valiant collection is just them