He was the last good writer Marvel had

He was the last good writer Marvel had.

user for the last goddamned time

use a recent picture of him

Avengers/New Avengers/Secret Wars weren't good though.

Secret Wars destroyed Marvel and they still haven't recovered.

I think Hickman is a good writer who does not give a fuck about the Avengers and communicated that very clearly in his choice to do an Avengers run with almost zero references to Avengers history (except the Illuminati, which he got from Bendis).

In some ways it was a perfect time to do a run like that because the movie had reinvented the Avengers from the ground up, so the only thing a new reader needed to know about the Avengers was that those six characters were on the team. But it just left me cold because it did without all the things I considered part of the Avengers as a franchise.

Hickman said his Fantastic Four run was nostalgic and he wanted his Avengers run to be forward-looking, and that's probably why I enjoyed his FF run more, because it had all the things you expect to see in an FF run, which provided a structure for his big ideas.

I think he's probably worked on that thing for a good few years and when he realized he wasn't going to get to pitch his obviously DC story to DC and didn't have an equally big Marvel story, he flaked and bent his DC story into a Marvel one, with fairly disastrous results

also I don't think you can call someone a good writer if they make as many elementary mistakes - poor characterization of established characters without explanation, introduction of new characters with weak backstory, superfluous characters, in media res, stakes so high they're not stakes at all because you know there's no way what's being threatened is going to actually happen - as he did

also, his obsession with Franklin Richards should set alarm bells ringing, that is some Byrne level shit

Hickman's Avengers was mediocre at best (still better than anything we have today), but his FF and Secret Warriors were top tier. The very best.

I hate his Avengers on every level possible. Art was all over the place, story had too many plots and sublots that either never got resolved, got resolved in some other books or got an anticlimactic end. Then as the book kept moving forward it just created a lot of inconsistencies in logic or was just ass pulling and full of Deus ex machina. All that aside the characters were terrible, all of them were constantly expositing, being an arm chair philosopher and doing dumb things even in the face of pure clarity. Not a single character was human or likable. These were my first Marvel books and I was thinking the whole time how I just didn't give a fuck. All the Avengers get pretty much shafted in their own title book, to drive home the point of how much this book is a fuck you to Avengers, the world is ending and all Cap and Iron Man want to do is kill each other. Avengers don't even matter that much in fucking Secret Wars. I just do not get the praise for this book. It's seriously not just for people who have never read Avengers but for people who have never read a single comic but want to see cool comic booky shit. If you put it through a credit lens the book falls apart on every level. FF is every bit the better version of this shit show.

I'm ok with the headcanon that ANAD Marvel is another New 52 gone wrong.

>autism

>Deus ex machina

hey shut up, Deus ex machina was the most original character Marvel ever put out, and certainly not just a lazy recolor

>let's pretend this grey, balding, fat middle aged man hasn't aged a day in over a decade

it's just basic courtesy, user

you wouldn't go around posting pictures of Bendis with hair or Miller with hair and expect anybody to recognize them as the same guys

No, no, that's what Legacy is.

ANAD is Rebirth gone wrong. Marvel was so ahead of the curve that they boomeranged backwards.

There are no more good writers at Marvel

>New 52 gone wrong
This is such a terrible fucking Reddit meme and I just don't understand why people keep saying it here over and over. New 52, even with all its problems, started out with a bang. You have strong core titles in Batman, Action Comics, Green Lantern, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, then a lot of serviceable stuff like Flash, Justice League and a fuck ton of experimental title like Dial H, Swamp Thing, Animal Man or Shade that ended up being better than anyone could have imagined. Sure it had tons of problems on publishing side like house style art everywhere, continuity problems, completely fucking up a lot of IPs and characters for no reason but it has tons of redeeming qualities too and if in the end you only care for good stories, it was a win. ANAD Marvel, Now 2.0 and Legacy by the looks of it doesn't have anything compared to the highs of new 52.

But other than being a bit greyer and fatter he looks the same, you fucking autist.

New Avengers (until Time Runs Out) and Secret Wars were good.

Sure thing, Hackman.

Where's his Image title where he was doing the art and writing and pitched it as political and edgy Star Trek? Is it delayed or what?

>Secret Wars
>good
Nigga first 4 or 5 issues are literally characters giving exposition in the most boring and Hackmanest way possible and then whole of that setup goes to shit by the climax in most Hickman way. It's a good event if you consider how garbage every Marvel event ends up being but it's not really a good book by its own merits.

Frontier? I think it's still coming out, he's just been busy with the ten billion other Image books he's writing.

Marvel's not the same without Remender and Hickman.

They were hacks. But they were hacks in a fun. engaging way. Now all that's left is rage. Eventually, all that will be left will be apathy.

>ANAD Marvel, Now 2.0 and Legacy by the looks of it doesn't have anything compared to the highs of new 52.

You know what? I have to agree with this. Even though DC turned to shit by maybe two or three years after the New 52 started, at the start I was very willing to pick up a lot of their titles. I definitely didn't feel like I was in a rush to buy anything from ANAD Marvel or Now 2.0. And the Legacy reveals so far don't instill me with confidence.

Yeah I hadn't gotten back into buying floppies till the end of n52 but while devisive it was at least creative and writers and artists were trying to tell good stories.
Some stuff didn't jive with people, esp older fans but at least they tried something and went balls out into it.

I'd always rather see something creative and well made that I don't end up liking that much, than cookie-cutter shit-written endless-reboot shlock.

What reddit meme, I said it's gone wrong meaning there's nothing redeeming about it unlike New 52 which had it's gems.

The sheer amount of interesting creative teams that New 52 and Marvel Now had is what sets them apart from every relaunch that followed. Not saying that all those creative teams ended up delivering but there was an urgency there to just want to check the books out. I really think Marvel needs a pallet cleanser in terms of writer. Throw away guys like Bendis, Waid, Slott, Aaron, Spencer who just can't seem to deliver anymore and find new talent. Even though Rebirth line is bland with lot of uninspired creators, DC just has so much interesting voices in the catalogue with all these other imprints. If somehow there's an announcement that Castulluci or Russell are going to write a mainline DC book in future, people would just be hyped. Marvel needs to find or push new creative voices.

>Even though Rebirth line is bland with lot of uninspired creators

Not in the main books, obv not every rebirth book will appeal to you personally but theres only a small handful that have actual serious problems

Black Science is Remender what are you talking about?

>and Black Science.

Ahh.... so you really don't have any fucking idea what you're talking about

Good to know.

>Hickman
>Good
Pick one.

I liked his Avengers quite a bit more than most of the runs I've read.

>Hickman
>Remender
>Fraction
>Brubaker
>KSD
>now Lemire
Image can't keep getting away with this

It's a "I built up a fanbase working for the big two, now I'm going to make better money with creative freedom writing properties I own." Image is just the most convenient publisher to work with once you're an established name.

And, ironically enough, it's the competition Marvel very much created for themselves like 100 business blunders ago. They really cannot fuck up enough. It's mind-blowing.

>Eventually, all that will be left will be apathy.
>Eventually
Try right fucking now

Well Marvel did publish Brubaker's Criminal just to keep him around, and there was that weird situation where Fraction moved Casanova from Image to Marvel then back to Image, so they tried.

no

he looks ten years older, you fucking autist

learn to recognize the difference and stop using your neurological problems as a fucking crutch

Also I'm curious what dc writer is gonna end up doing it

DC writers went to marvel instead when marvel writers were too busy going to image
Johns and Snyder are the only really big names they know can sell but Snyder can't do more than two books at a time I think and DC will give him anything

Snyder is kind of at Image, he just isn't leaving capeshit and I think that's good. Azzarello was a DC writer and he pretty much fucked off to Image.

No one cares expect for (You), aspie.

*except, fucking autocorrect.

Loveness, Lemire

Lemire is gone and most of his Marlel work sucked anyways.

Thats because its an oppressive atmosphere,

Marvel writers have zero freedom now unless their last name is Bendis or Slott, thats why they get frustrated with all the editorial mandates and notes and changes (like in big budget movies), and jump ship to Image, or Dark Horse or DC or whatever...

He really was, which is why I quit after secret wars

Azzarello has been writing some high profile stuff for DC, like DK3 and the killing joke adaptation.

His DC stuff wasn't better either. He just doesn't care about his work for hire stuff. Pretty sure he doesn't even write them. He just gives it to his artists to script out his plots. Snyder and Aaron seem to have the same attitude with their big two projects.

He's a huge DC fag weirdly enough.

His Animal Man run was quite decent, but, yeah as everyone knows by now he's not good on team books and JLD was shit.

He's a better writer than Marvel would probably ever allow him to be.

Hickman's problem is that he thinks he's really smart and loves his grandiose sounding ideas but can't write characters for shit so it's a bunch of blank cutouts talking about grand concepts interchangeably.

I don't think Hickman takes himself that seriously desu, have you seen his twitter?

Yeah he thinks and plots way too much shit in one storyline... build off a simple idea to create a larger story don't just start with the biggest most overthought ideas you can think of and then fit characters into it....

That always surprised me. He's a huge DC fag and got his start at Vertigo. DC must've done something huge to piss him off that he directly went from a DC exclusive to Marvel exclusive. Maybe dropping him for arrow writers passed him off.

His big two work always seems too decompressed and full of filler stuff. His creator owned work like sweet tooth, underwater welder and black hammer is a LOT better.

He half assed his events because he couldn't deal with editorial orders regarding the F4

Halfways through infinity it was obvious hickman wanted out of Marvel.

Not only that, but I was thinking just how easily could marvel do exactly the same as image, and ever more, if ithey had two fingers up front

>just how easily could marvel do exactly the same as image

Well Icon all but dead and I don't see them bringing back Epic.