/hyw/ - How's Your Webcomic? #380

Decide where your little footy hills live Edition

Here we talk about what makes us happy and agonize with terrible pain as well, which is making webcomics.

Share your progress, help others with some good criticism, analyze webcomics you may like or dislike.

But most importantly, from all of us here I'd like to wish you happy painting. That'll be our little secret.

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed
senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
shutterstock.com/
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/
tumblr.com/theme/39018
pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#
discord.gg/rXMbdqP
youtube.com/watch?v=Pb5oIIPO62g
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/
blambot.com/
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics
youtube.com/results?search_query=how to draw comics
youtube.com/watch?v=3uEtdDvK6Xo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Scrub Authors GOODIE Bag
Here’s a short list of sites that any new webcomic artist or writer will find handy:
>*-Struggling to find that perfect FONT? Create your own using this link;
calligraphr.com

>*-Don’t forget to brush up on that ANATOMY:
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed

>*-What’s a list without some reference STOCK IMAGES?
People: senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
Scenery: shutterstock.com/

>*-Here's a big fat compilation of CHARACTER DESIGN REFERENCE:
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/ (surprisingly not a typo)

>Links to get a rough WEBSITE started up:
Easy to use tumblr webcomic theme: tumblr.com/theme/39018
Do’s and Don’ts for starting a site: pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
>Contact sheet if anyone wants to put information down, like their site and webcomic:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#

>DISCORD CHAT going on:
discord.gg/rXMbdqP

>Wise words from John Cleese:
youtube.com/watch?v=Pb5oIIPO62g

>Invisible Ink:
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf

>Paper Wings
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/

>Fonts for your webcomic on Blambot:
blambot.com/

>Writing Resources:
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf

>Guide to promoting your comic:
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/

>Comics for makin' comics!
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics

youtube.com/results?search_query=how to draw comics

snert. that's pretty good.
just decided they'd do random unimportant shit, like in the funny pages, so it was no pressure.

Thank you very much for the advice. I'll throw some ideas onto a canvas and see if I can come up with something my writer likes. I'll post them here as well if anyone would like to critique me.

I spent far longer on this opening shot than I anticipated.

sets a good standard!

I love it op

>tfw actually started writing again
>tfw 20 pages done for my novel and actually found an artist for my comic idea

My god, I might actually make something.

Just drawing and stuff.

good stuff

Are those the titles of different storylines?

Yes, they're the different big arcs.

Pretty good stuff bruh, would like to see more.

That's pretty fucking good. Got any ones colored?

Only colored ones I got are at least a year old, unfortunately.

Still looks damn good.

Soon™

Hey nice to see you still at it user!

I'll always be at it because I'll never finish (start) it.

i don't visit here as much as i used to but i was wondering if some of you still have the prototype designs of your characters

for better or worse i lost most of the original drawings in an old computer, those were so bad im kinda glad it happened i must have some mid stage drawings in the archive from when i used to be more active, and the very first drawing of a charecter must be somewhere burried in a 3ds memory stick, i just kinda wanna know the story behind your designs

My initial designs were more realistic than my current designs. All of my prototypes are stored online somewhere.

Fuck I feel so old.

I still remember drawing these in school one morning. There are some even more prototypical ones, but they were basically just my trying to draw final fantasy sprites from memory on some post-its, so those don't really count. This is where I was trying to think of some designs I could draw over and over, with the sensibilities of sprites, filling out a decent team of basic archetypes..
I don't remember if Soroban was meant to have a PET hedgehog or turn INTO one, but either way that was dropped pretty quickly. Other than that and some minor proportion changes and Loki's hair, it didn't change much going into the real comic.. which I think I started in earnest later that day or week.

I also have some pencil drawings of the new/older cast for N, but I have never scanned those (since I don't .. scan anymore, I'd have to photograph them). They're kind of interesting, Sasha went through the most changes I think.
I DO however have a few digital drawings (These would have been done with a mouse) of the first versions of older Mizu. She still had the same hair from her younger self and I hadn't streamlined the belt.. these were one and two years ahead of the new comic starting up, so one of them was only a year after the previous ended.
I also keep a drawing of some of my characters in my wallet, set a few years after the end of the first comic, except I drew it before the very end so someone's missing

Good luck user!

Bump

stop bumping a dead thread, if your thread can't stay alive organically then it doesn't deserve to stay up

you can say that during the PM hours. some of us have to sleep

I'm actually super fucking excited to the point where I can't even eat.

don't get your hopes up, 99% chance it'll be shit and/or the artist drops off

I think this was the original idea for a spider dude like 2 years ago

Oh, I'm sure it will be shit. Also I've already had 6 artists drop. Mostly due to arguments about money and 1 family emergency. Any progress is progress.

...which morphed into something like this

>arguments about money
you're paying them and they're still complaining?

Well, without getting into too much detail.

>I'll pay you X per page
>Ok, sounds good
>A few weeks later
>Hey, I found out my friend is making Y per page. I want Y
>Y is too much and we already agreed on X.
>Fuck you, I want Y.

Is there a way to make people feel somewhat sorry for a villain while still keeping him completely irredeemable?

I guess it's possible. Just make sure that the villain knows he's an irredeemable fuck face.

>literally no improvement at all after all these years

>20 minutes

I mean, he was never irredeemable.

well I stopped drawing the legs so damn short, there's that.

>Nox
>Irredeemable

Bullshit. Even Groug said he wasn't as evil as he seemed and that it wasn't too late to stop.

A villain that's dug himself too deep in to back out, and he knows it, but still has to go through with it no matter how bad his actions get. Try not to make him feel too bad about it.

basically yeah. People can pity without forgiving. You give him a good reason to be mad, then a terrible decision made based on that anger.

his only crime really was neglecting to test the machine. that's just bad science.
that's why samurai jack was always so careful not to just leave the future totally fucked in order to grab himself an opportunity to go back: he had no idea if it would work or not.

Not to offend you pal, the only thing admirable about you is your persistence. If you really want to improve in art you have to study it, like anything else.

If you really want to become a pro you can contact both me and PipSQK sensei, we can you a guide to actually improve

You'll get no argument from me. I've definitely been letting quantity outweigh quality for some time, something i used to think was pretty much okay for comics, but increasingly feel otherwise, looking back. I only just started doing construction at all, thanks to these threads, only just bumped the size up enough that the lines don't look like shit, only just started using line guides so my lettering would be straight.. that's the downside to 'just doing it for yourself' which I still wholeheartedly endorse. Sometimes yourself's standards aren't very high.
Still gonna finish this sucker up as-is, then study harder before starting the next one. Prolly couple years.
In the meantime though, normally I'd say I'd rather study on my own, but.. you and pips specifically, I like how you do shit.. and I like how pips redlines shit. So like, holy shit, I'm taking you up on that offer. Don't let me forget.

Don't trip on me bro. I am conscious that you're hard headed, but either way I'm gonna take the task to help you.

Start here:

youtube.com/watch?v=3uEtdDvK6Xo

Once you upload here a sheet with cubes and shapes in different positions I will give you your next assignment

Important Rule: FORGET everything you think you know about drawing and start from 0
No shortcuts.

y'alright, i'm bookmarking that for later. i have a lot of stuff bookmarked for later, actually, but later is coming up. soon as this comic's finished up.
joke's on you, i don't have to forget shit. i know i don't know anything!

The comic can wait, better improve now
I assure you, the homework won't last more than 15 minutes

well see this is where people start accusing me of making excuses. i've gotta wait til my head's in the right place, if I try forcing it, my art always comes out shitty. right now i'm feeling drowsy from cruddy sleep and dental pain, this is no time for study. but I promise I'm not blowing you off, man. Lucyman. You know what you're talking about.

post work

>i've gotta wait til my head's in the right place
lmao i'm not even going to dignify this with a reply to you, I'm pointing this out for everyone to see. this idiot's head hasn't been in the right place for the past decade, look where he is now.

>proko
not even once

I wouldn't accuse you of making excuses if you didn't make excuses.

People have been giving you advice for years and you've rarely tried to even apply any of it.

meh, I'll give it a shot anyway. stopped clock and all that

OK
I have no idea why you guys get so salty with him, he's good for basics but not for anything stylish. I reccomend Sinix Design for anything style related.
But for anything, you need to start with elementals which proko happens to explain well without trip-fagging through a 45 minute video.
Don't wait, try. Don't intend to make things perfect, but try.
I'm pretty aware he isn't fully sane, I'm not gonna avoid to lend him a hand. Even the most offset people have some heart to themselves you just have to find how to get there.

Halfway there. Found a few tools to make my life easier. I should get around to learning all Krita has to offer.

gettin Surf Ninjas flashbacks

>Krita
I highly suggest any software besides Krita

>talks shit when his own work is shit

I'm thinking of writing a story where a guy suddenly finds out his roommate is a werewolf or other kind of animal or monster. Kind of want to make it looney tunes esque but not entirely sure on that yet. What would be a good reason for a werewolf or whatever else to want to live with a human?

>What would be a good reason for a werewolf or whatever else to want to live with a human?

"Pets" live rent-free!

>Wanted to live with a human in case he needed a food source.
>ended up becoming friends
>Can't bring himself to eat him

It's the only place they could find where the rent was that low.
Human's previous roommate moved out and they need to find a replacement asap.

Lol I like all these ideas, I think I can work with all of these and make it funny.

reworking a bit of dialogue before going to bed. I was hoping this is a novel idea, although since I am not very well read, so I was wondering if someone else done something similar in books or movies.

looks a prettyprettygood to me. Either way I know firsthand a good teacher isn't necessarily good at what they teach.
also hardly talking shit.

Sounds like a great idea
>Looney Tunes-esque
nevermind

In any case, maybe to help with the werewolf thing. Needs someone to strap him down on full moon nights or whatever.

Don't worry I'm not entirely settled on things yet, so it might be a serious story instead of a slapstick comedy story.

Suggested text changes:

"Warning: energy input exceeds total safety bandwidth..."

"Ley lines" are the mystic energy lines.

tonal passwords are a pretty novel concept i reckon, i also like your pastel colors

though the grammatically correct version of your first phrase is "WARNING: INPUTTED ENERGY EXCEEDS TOTAL SAFETY BANDWIDTH OF LEY LINE NETWORK ZONE B7R"

What do you expect me to be? A god?

Well, looks like my stalker got a clue about their behavior, but asked if we could still be friends.

I said no. Why would I positively reinforce stalker behavior?

Tracking my I.P.
Emotionally invasive(things that belong to my therapist, GF, and myself).Some things they made up, but if I did have an issue they constructed, I personally wouldn't announce it so pubically. Unless I was ready. All I saw was someone forcing an issue to build a deeper relationship they didn't have a right to.
Outright interrupting a conversation with various other artists to make it about me or them.

Why would I reinforce that behavior by giving them exactly what they want? Ends justify the means?

With all that being said I've made a personal decision from now on to avoid public forums like the plague.

I'm just going to pay artist on patron for tutorials. Maybe find ones that will critique artwork for a price. Then I can listen to someone I actually give a shit about, and get a critique without it leading them to think they can get into every other facet of my life.

So, I'm out of here. /blogpost.

you fool, you'd be positively reinforcing getting-a-clue. people like this are desperately lonely, throw them a fucking bone and turn the other cheek. literally nobody thinks the ends justify the means because they did something and got forgiven for it.

don't lie faggot you probably initiated it and enjoyed the attention at first. otherwise you wouldn't come here blogging paragraphs. you're the shittier person for using the other when it suits you and throwing them away after you're done. kill yourself

that work is actually worst than cold fusions. You really shouldn't throw stones in a glass house of bullshit that is webcomics.

Also pipsqk is just barely better than coldfusion, just baaaaaaarely.

and all 3 of you combined arent even half as good as bones. Whatever happened to that guy anyway? He was the coolest most interesting thing about these threads. Just saying.

Shut the fuck up bones

Your first paragraph was on point but your 2nd shows you don't know shit you Mexican nigger

Originally didn't have the flinging bit, but realized A) he'd be facing the wrong way because he wouldn't be on the OTHER side of the portal from them, and B) it would look cool to get shot point blank midair AND backwards

Tzara Autostrada's dialogue is fun to write.

I hate this place so much.
here's some more garbage to shove in your mouth.

holy shit you've improved
what kinda jesus-ass water does this place have?

This thread is cursed to being a place where people come to self-suck no wonder we have all these faggots banned from the discord group

chemicals in the water makes it so it acts like a solid, they have a large cleaner that gets rid of the chemicals in their water, the chemical tastes real bad.

It's a tricky and weird position, even ignoring the fact that there will always be fangirls and fanboys that will try to excuse a villain no matter what.

The usual trick is to give them a backstory or motivation that makes you feel sorry for them, all while making their present selves evil shit.

It may be weeb stuff but Doflamingo in One Piece plays this kind of stuff well. He had a sad backstory and childhood but on one part he kind of got that shit on himself and on second part he was an evil guy since the beginning and his present actions can barely be excused by his tragic backstory.

awesome. fuckin' ice-nine. wasn't expecting that.

10/10 bait
but seriously I don't get why people like to make coldfusion feel bad, his style isn't realistic but at least is clean and focused, can he improve? yes absolutely but if he doesn't want to study who gives a fuck

he's a 30+ year old man who hasn't improved in a decade, what isn't there to mock?

Nice/accurate of you to say, but I'm not gonna pass up potential pipsqk redlining. and i DO wanna study, just not right this minute.
It might seem frustrating that some people are content being slow improvers, but when you're a fast learner, needing-to-study is what's frustrating and annoying. It's like learning to drive if you could already run at like 30 mph. Yeah you probably still should, because you can't carry a family on your back and most of the time it's unpleasant to be outside so an enclsoed temperature-controlled space is ideal, plus you can't run fast enough for the highway, but if people like that existed would you blame them for not bothering to get a license?

For those of us who have been here for years we've seen Coldfusion make excrutiatingly little progress after many people have offered to help him. He just doesn't improve and he probably should have if he actually tried and applied himself instead of giving up immediately.

I didn't understand your metaphor but if you really wanna improve without being frustrated by anatomy-shading-perspective at least try practicing more your gesture, it will improve GREATLY your cartoony style
most artists here care a lot for details and ignore one of the more important parts of cartoon drawing: gesture and fluidity
good luck boi

definitely, I've had a stiffness problem for ages. We've talked about it a lot in threads over the years, going back to drawthreads I used to frequent. Part of it is that I conciously fight being TOO loose (in art and in real life), part is that I get most of my anatomy knowledge from solid plastic toys. but I'm woikin' on it. really am. There's a long list of those impruuvements to make.
In the meantime though I'm better'n most people at robots, so there's that.

I fixed it up a bit

It should fare a little better under scrutiny

I expect you to know how to draw hands

I was just practicing today

Also trying to choose wether to pencil or ink from the start
And don't worry I'm pretty self aware I'm shit no need for constant reminding.

ooh that's really close. hands are hard. have this free guide thingy I found somewhere

oh wait, that isn't the... the one i meant to post. but that's good too

Saved, will use later today or on some future drawing

what the fuck is this analogy? are you saying you're a fast or a slow learner? no wonder no one reads your comic, your writing is awful