Why do so many people on Sup Forums seem to dislike the Ultimates?

Why do so many people on Sup Forums seem to dislike the Ultimates?
>Cap strikes a balance between pragmatic soldier and iconic hero
>Tony manages to balance the quipmeister and legit hero aspects
>mysterious Thor is well-executed

Sup Forums has shit taste

A lot of them probably have a bad taste in their mouths because of what the Ultimates eventually became.
That said, the original was still pretty great, though there were some usual Millar issues with some of the characters Hulk being a cannibal, Hank Pym, "do you think this A stands for France"
and some other general asshole-ishness but for the most part it all holds together well.
My biggest complaint is probably how certain things are built up and then the pay-off is somewhat anti-climactic. The Revengers in Part 2 were cool, but Red Dynamo gets wiped out almost immediately and Perun literally does nothing. And it definitely has some hallmark "Millar really wants to make this a movie" stuff, particularly with the pacing.
That said, the good moments are excellent. The Quicksilver vs. Whirlwind fight is probably my favourite Quicksilver moment ever.

I think the general consensus is that the ultimates 1 and 2 are good and the rest is shit

The Ultimate U had some pretty cool stuff going for it, but the problem is that it kind of became a dumping ground for ideas they could't get away with in 616. Some of those ideas were really cool. Some of them were written by Jeph Loeb.

The relative disdain for the Ultimate U as a whole on Sup Forums is a little strange. I think most people would agree that early X-Men, Spider-Man, and Ultimates are solid as fuck, so why does it seem like no on gives a shit?

I agree that Ultimates is chock full of Millar's usual schtick, but it just fucking works. It's (Ultimates 1 & 2) probably still the best superhero team story ever.

Don't skimp on Hickman's run. In my opinion, it's just as good as Millar's.

>"do you think this A stands for France"
>implying it was a bad thing
You can go fuck yourself buddy.

Honestly, it's not a bad thing. It's just a line a lot of people get hung up on. In the comic itself Cap even mentions he didn't know why he said it.

sauce?

It's after the big fight at the end of the first Ultimates, when they're all talking about what happened. Fury mentions to Cap that the line was pretty funny and Cap says that he didn't really know what he was saying, he was just so pumped up on adrenaline.
Millar later ruined this in Ultimate Avengers by having Cap kick a bunch of Frenchmen in the balls while mocking them, but by the time Ultimate Avengers happened everything was already screwed.

If anything that line makes more sense in context. He's talking to a alien Nazi who probably helped orchestrate the French surrender of 1940.

Ultimates vol 1 #13

>but by the time Ultimate Avengers happened everything was already screwed.
Truth. Almost everything sucked in the post-Ultimatum, pre-Death of Spider-Man era. Spider-Man was the only passable series imo.

I'd like to think that Ultimate Avengers was Millar just giving up after the shit that happened in Ultimatum and just writing wild bullshit for fun.
But even if that is the case, making so that the "real" Hulk is a literal Giga Nigga is kind of indicative of the whole series.

Because it took characters that everyone liked and turned them into unlikeable people with weak powers and that ultimately bled over into 616 (when they said it wouldn't) which just fucked everything up.

I really liked X-Men after the majority of the main roster died off. I thought the stance they took on mutants was awful but believable. It lead to some really interesting stories to me.

Not one of Millar's finer moments when he made the Nazi Aliens speak Japanese for some reason.

>unlikeable people with weak powers
But Cap isn't unlikeable and he got a huge power boost. He's legit superhuman instead of just peak human.

There are a couple of Hebrew letters as well.
DEEPEST

>Quicksilver vs. Whirlwind fight is probably my favourite Quicksilver moment ever.
I completely forget what happened, mind refreshing?

Millar is probably the most exciting comic book writer ever

Oh fuck yes.

It's a half social satire, half glorification of post 9/11 state of American society. There's tons of criticism of neo conservatism, America's over militarization among other things. It's not really a full satire though considering how Millar is so tonally deaf. Like how it goes lengths to make the militarization it is criticizing look really cool and badass. There are lots of things to like, one of my favorite is that super liberal hippie Thor becomes full blown homo buddy with materialistic scum like Iron Man. It's clever but makes one question where Millar's true intentions and political stances are.
The thing though is while it's cool and all in what it's trying to do, it should not have been done in an Avengers comic. The stuff that's going on in there is so unworthy of the characters. It could've been in Authority or maybe Millar makes a parody book, it's infuriating what Millar does to these characters.
The point is that it's retarded, if you think otherwise you probably voted for Trump.

>I'd like to think that Ultimate Avengers was Millar just giving up after the shit that happened in Ultimatum and just writing wild bullshit for fun.

Honestly I think he knew the writing was on the wall when Disney bought out Marvel and probably wanted to get out of there and back to his creator-owned stuff.

He definitely would not get away with most of the stuff he did in the 00's. Things like cannibal Hulk, Hank brutally beating Wasp on a regular basis, Marvel Zombies, those probably wouldn't get approved now. He was really fucking lucky he got to Marvel when he did.

>literally from the 1940's
>obviously has a weird thing against France
>seeing as he was raised around WWII and red-blooded 'Murican
>in the heat of battle makes a silly joke
>nothing wrong with hating on France

Not even sure what your deal is here.

he's the most successful and influential writer since the original Image crew, Moore and Miller

Ultimates 1 and 2 are fairly popular, borderline guilty pleasure because of certain scenes. I will say I kind of enjoyed Loeb's Ultimates 3, that truly is a guilty pleasure.

And Ultimatum ruined everything.

>Geoff Johns
>Bendis
>Morrison
Just to name a few. Millar's definitely in the ballpark though.

Ultimates 1 and 2 were brilliant. Millar can get carried away, but he can write fucking action. Too bad reading anything else means you will eventually get caught up reading something bad. The universe is unfortunately tainted. I would love for them to bring it back, but I don't know if it can be saved. Shame it never got a proper ending.

That's the fucking point you retard, he's a narrow minded nationalistic scum who would justify his hate for other racial people/other countries with muh patriotism. He's out of date, a product of era far past. Of course he would look heroic and patriotic to ultra conservatives. He was also a narcissist, sexist and homophobe in those books. I actually have yet to find an argument which can justify that he is a good, fleshed out character with redeeming qualities.

You mean Ellis right? Because Millar literally copied Ellis' style but lost all the sophistication.

It's bait user.

> narrow minded
>nationalistic
>muh patriotism
>out of date
>product of era far past
>Of course he would look heroic and patriotic to ultra conservatives
I am baffled right now. What exactly is your point? You're describing Ultimate Cap, and then turning around and saying those traits are somehow bad? All of these traits are what made a 21st century-updated Cap interesting and likable. Like Ron Swanson.

>narcissist
>sexist
>homophobe
Sauce? He honestly just seems like MCU Cap, with a little rougher edges. Like he's not afraid to be seen as super conservative.

Yeah, but there are two important things to consider here:

1: Millar doesn't get bored of a project in a heartbeat/have glacier slow turnover

and

2: People are stupid in general and sophistication is generally lost on most.

>around and saying those traits are somehow bad?
They are, the point is that they are bad. You do realize Ultimate Cap is a parody right?
>Sauce?
Literally says this battlefield is no place for ladies plus pic related.
>He honestly just seems like MCU Cap, with a little rougher edges.
Are you stupid or character subtleties completely lost on you? He's nothing like MCU Cap? Also how is MCU Cap conservative?

Millar finishes most of his comics, his Authority was better and his movie pitches give him bigger royalties (RED, RED 2), has good Superman and Spider-Man runs, and writes way more uplifting things in general

I'd also argue that Millar's story pacing is better than Ellis'.

>Millar doesn't get bored of a project in a heartbeat/have glacier slow turnover
Shitting out projects on a consistent basis isn't proportionate to quality.
>People are stupid in general and sophistication is generally lost on most.
You mean audience Millar is pandering to, yes they're quite stupid, probably mentally deformed and stuck with 13 year olds mindset too.

> You do realize Ultimate Cap is a parody right?
You do realize that only faggots start sentences with "you do realize" and end them with "right?", right?

>Literally says this battlefield is no place for ladies plus pic related.
Oh god! Go back to Tumblr please.

>character subtleties completely lost on you?
I'm saying they're similar, not 100% comparable.
>Also how is MCU Cap conservative?
He's no less conservative than Ultimate Cap.

what has Ellis done in the past decade worthwhile

>being this flustered at being proven wrong

>his Authority was better
You mean edgier and wholesomely garbage.
>his movie pitches give him bigger royalties (RED, RED 2)
What does that have to do with anything being discussed here?
>has good Superman and Spider-Man runs
Characters Millar neither wrote, nor ever interested in.
>writes way more uplifting things in general
I mean Authority and Planetary have fantastic and uplifting messages but really need to ask what does that have to do with anything? Moore wrote a lot of bleak stuff, more bleak than optimistic, so Millar is better writer than Moore now?

Nigga Millar himself said Ultimates is supposed to be satirical and social criticism of neo conservatism but you were too stupid to realize the book you read was making fun of you and your ideologies.
>tfw when too much of a brainlet to realize when being made fun of.

Unfucked Moon Knight for one. What has Millar done that wasn't generic sci-fi/ultra edge movie pitch?

I love the irony of you telling me I don't understand and yet you can't seem to wrap your head around the fact that there are multiple characters with varying ideologies. That would be like reading Watchmen and only focusing on Rorschach.

>
>
>>around and saying those traits are somehow bad?
>They are, the point is that they are bad. You do realize Ultimate Cap is a parody right?
>>Sauce?
>Literally says this battlefield is no place for ladies plus pic related.
>>He honestly just seems like MCU Cap, with a little rougher edges.
>Are you stupid or character subtleties completely lost on you? He's nothing like MCU Cap? Also how is MCU Cap conservative?

Mcu Steve would had defended the invasion of Irak m8. Civil War was about interventionism, Steve was shilling for George Bush

Starlight and Ultimate Avengers are great.

>you can't seem to wrap your head around the fact that there are multiple characters with varying ideologies.
There are, they are all caricatures in Ultimates though.
>That would be like reading Watchmen and only focusing on Rorschach.
No, that would be reading Watchmen and denying Rorschach is a parody of Ditko's hard objectivist truth and morality philosophy.

Ellis literately fucked Moon Knight more than Bendis could've

>Steve was shilling for George Bush
In the Ultimates, in Civil War where it wasn't supposed to be a parody, Cap was shilling for individual freedom. The Civil War cap is basis of MCU's Cap, he is really against NSA and governmental power creep and for privacy and freedom of the individuals.

How?

now every portrayal of him until the end up time is going to be muhhh mental issues
like how Fraction turned Hawkeye into a manbaby and now will always be one
Lemire cemented both, its pottery

>muhhh mental issues
That's Lemire idiot, also
>complaining about muh mental issues in a comic about a guy with 4 split personalities

You're thinking of Lemire. That's who retconned the ""muh mental illness" thing. Ellis' origin was that Marc had nothing wrong with him. Khonshu, being an Eldritch Abomination, literally infested his mind and used him as an anchor, creating "spores" in it.

Ellis' origin was streamlined and fucking creepy. But then Marvel threw all that way for "muh mental illness sweetie uwu" shit.

I don't think they've aged especially well, but at the time Ultimates 1 & 2 were fantastic. They perfectly suited the War on Terror mood of the era.

I miss those days. Kinda. I mean, comics were fun. And Ultimates was the perfect AMERICA FUCK YEAH! book. I'm not even American, but I loved that.

This, this and this, sorta.

I liked the Ultimate's Avengers. Frank, Hawkeye and black Hulk were pretty cool despite how absurd they were.

I'm not american either, but I know what you are talking about
It may be a simple case of nostalgia, but the Bush years really brought out the best from some writers
New and Astonishing X-Men, Sinestro Corps War, X-Statix, Seven Soldiers, Gotham Central, Kelly's JLA, Ultimates, Bru's Captain America, Checkmate...
Fun times
I can't name a single big two comic published now that will be as well remembered in a few years as these

Yup. It might just be nostalgia, but in general the world was just... simpler then. The bubble hadn't burst, video-games & comics were niches, CBMs were a once-in-a-while treat. Now everything has become ugly and the market saturated.

>Avengers flicks
>Kick Ass flicks
>Wanted, Kingsmen,etc
Yep gotta agree on that

It feels like it was written to appeal to the highschool freshman demographic. The only retards who like Ultimates probably think Millar is one of the greatest writers of all time, think Wolverine and Iron Man are the coolest characters in all fiction, and are the same kind of people who unironically make posts like this:

Well shit.

the only three that could even compete are Gaiman, Kirkman and Bendis

Does Johns count?
His books don't get straight adaptations, but he is very influential now in the DCU
(the JL movie looks very similar to his first JL arc, the ice cream scene in Wonder Woman etc.)

The thing is though, he actually fought with the frenchies in the war. My wwii vet grandfather actually beat people for shitting on france, and he wasn't even deployed there. Most world war 2 veterans I know don't like it when people make fun of France, so I have a hard time buying that Captain America, who is not only a WWII vet who fought there alongside French people but is also supposed to be a pretty respectful guy in general, would just trash them like that.

This is basically right but rather than it being some complex true intentions thing I think the answer is just that:

1) Millar legitimately wants to satirize his subjects
2) Millar also legitimately thinks all the sick over the top military shit and edginess is really cool

This is borne out by his work as a whole if you look at it IMO. I think he's reached a sort of refined version of what Ultimates was in Jupiter's Circle/Jupiter's Legacy.

It's because the surrender monkey isn't even a WW2 stereotype. It's a recent thing that crept up over France going "yeah nah fuck you" over the Iraq War. The term itself was coined by the Simpsons, for crying out loud.

>Almost everything sucked in the post-Ultimatum, pre-Death of Spider-Man era. Spider-Man was the only passable series imo.
I really liked that era of USM, wish it could have gone on longer. Aunt May adopting orphaned teen superheroes was a really fun concept

There was a brief window where U-XMen was good again. Between when the series restarted and that fucking awful CivilWar event happened. I'm sad we will never find out why Kitty became the most feared terrorist in the history of the United States, and why Apocalypse was giving people visions of their dead colleagues.
That Utopia sentient seed storyline that replaced it was such bs

>1) Millar legitimately wants to satirize his subjects
>2) Millar also legitimately thinks all the sick over the top military shit and edginess is really cool

Gotta agree on this. Millar has a genuine desire to be a great satirst and a thoughtful and compassionate comic writer. But he also thinks all the edgy stuff he wants to poke fun at is actually some of the coolest shit in the world. So it seems like his entire career is at cross purposes. But it probably all works in his worldview.

But it leads to people thinking things sufh as Secret Service being grosser than Kingsman when Secret Service makes more efforts to add heart and actually has far fewer over the top and gory scenes. And is generally just less misanthropic in general.

But he made that bed himself. The least he can do is lie in it.

Some of those you listed are REALLY bad, but I can see how you think there's nothing right now to remember well later on.

Ultimate Bump

I think it's because most everything after Ultimates 2 (or at least after Peter died) just got boring and crappy. It just seemed like they didn't know what to do with it all after Ultimatum, which is probably true considering it was supposed to be the end of the Ultimate line...and then it just kept going.

It felt like Neocon propaganda, Millar has been hired by Rupert Murdoch to work on Fox.

Johns is basically the little loser brother of creators
he's basically Jurgens without any artistic talent

No. He literally wants to invade any country he wants and kill who he believes are his enemies without any responsibility. Stop projecting, Mcu Steve and 616 Steve are not similar anymore. Steve goes as far as freeing his allies. All of them criminals that deserve to be in jail after what they did in Europe. 616 is the kind of guy that does something illegal and faces the consequences. Mcu believes he is above anyone else and that others freedom and sovereignty doesn't matter.

Comparing Johns to Kelly is wrong

To be fair Ennis is the same and often Ennis really does make it work.

>neocon

Fucking Americans and their stupid meme words, you are so retarded and put so much energy in changing the meaning of liberal that now neoliberalism is a scary confusing word for you.

Neocons are nothing more than neoliberals that love baby Jesus

I think Ultimates is like an extension of what he and Morrison were doing with Big Dave.

It was a fun alternative, and that's what it always was. People going
>NOT MUH
well no shit, go read 616 or watch the MCU if you want that version of a character

"You think this letter on my head stands for France?"

Honestly, I thought that was fantastic. The only thing better was the butt-hurt reaction to it.

More generally: Ultimates started okay, but eventually went to shit.

Before 9-11, "Neo-con" had a very distinct meaning. A "neo-con" was a student liberal in the '60s, who eventually adopted some of the ideas of conservatism -- especially on defense and anti-communism -- while still remaining liberal on social issues. After 9-11, and particularly after the invasion of Iraq, neo-con was changed by the left -- with the eager cooperation of the news-media -- to mean "OMG, scary nazis -- hatethem/fearthem".

Many of the people identified as neo-cons post 9-11 didn't even vaguely fit the pre 9-11 definition.

Ultimates went to shit after Loeb came in also people memeing some of the stupid stuff Millar did without reading the good stuff he did and without reading the Ultimates issues done by Ellis.

I thought it was ridiculous but thus is morr Millar being stupid than Cap.

Like when he wrote Ultimate Avengers he had Cap get intentionally captured by French soldiers (so he could snoop in their database) and the French were teasing and shitting on Cap for the France line and calling him a loser, a coward, etc...

But once Ultimate Cap breaks free from his constraints and the French soldiers see that he's no longer cuffed, first thing they do is surrender to him.

Ultimate Cap just ignores them and strolls past by them.

Probably one of the only few times someome does something truly badass with Pietro.

Lol you're so fucking butthurt and really reaching there buddy.

It's obvious he's doing that shit to piss off Hulk, if he had problem with women in the battlefield he would have had said something to Wasp, Widow and any other woman who fought besides him.

Like fuck off, seriously.

>That's the fucking point you retard, he's a narrow minded nationalistic scum who would justify his hate for other racial people/other countries with muh patriotism.

Hey friendo, you missed Ultimates 2 and Ultimates 2 Annual.

Please do not remind me of the Morrison/Millar era of 2000AD.

It started out incredibly strong in every series, but due to a series of poor writers introducing stupid shit into the canon for cheap attempts at drama the entire thing spoilt and lost its appeal.

Don't get me wrong, I still have a strong love for the Ultimate-U, liked the EvilReed arc and loved the core concept of all Meta-humans coming from one source, but it eventually came to a point where the only sensible thing to do to the universe was to destroy it.

imo Ultimate Comics Ultimates by Jonathan Hickman was the last great storyline to come out of this imprint. Makes me think if they had hired more talented writers like him, ultimate comics would still be a thing.

>Those outdated 2000 pop culture references
>That chick from American Pie
>HULK NO FREDDIE PRINZE JR! HULK NOT GAY!
>Hey Bruce, Betty on the phone your cannibalistic rampage was fucking HOT unf

He wanted to invade a country to stop a bad guy.

Ultimate Cap did that too in the beginning of Ultimates 2 (except it was to capture weapons if mass destruction) and it caused a scrawny Muslim kid to get pissed off enough to participate in his country's version of the Super Soldier program to fight Cap and the Ultimates and join the Anti-American Liberators.

In the end he kills the guy (he had killed people and wasn't exactly a good guy) but not before he hears him out and later he learns about the kid's backstory and realizes it mirrored his.

That is what caused Ultimate Cap to stop working for the US Government and for the Ultimates to go solo and decide to make their group international, to work with every country and not just the interests of the US.

Ultimate Cap is not perfect, he's abrasive and he does have some comservative thinking (but not as extreme as like you claim) but one thing I always liked about him is that he isn't self righteous like 616 Cap or the "I'm morally right" type of guy since he's willing to listen and he doesn't put himself above others.

Hell him and Tony dealt with a registration act in their own universe and solved it peacefully and thought the idea of fighting about it was idiotic and a waste of time.

Not to mention him and Tony get along better than their 616 and MCU countetparts.

That Barda/Hulk crossover has to be the funniest attempt at adult-comics ever written in panel-by-panel form.

Give me a second and I'll do a short storytime

It was Zarda but yeah it was awful.

It also ruined that scene with Zarda hitting om Cap and squishing her boob against him because all I could think about was Hulk sloppy seconds, otherwise it would have been hot (seriously Captain America needs an Amazon warrior GF that can hold him down and take him full strength).

>but not as extreme as like you claim

IIRC it only got extreme after Ultimates. Like for instance the Ultimate Comics Avengers or Jason Aaron's Ultimate Captain America.

Here you go guys, the storytime literally no one requests:

Hulk Ultimate Annual