What's the worst part of this series? Did it ever have potential? Was it too generic...

What's the worst part of this series? Did it ever have potential? Was it too generic? What were parts/concepts you actually liked about it, if there are any at all?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/nCo0J2IekFs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'm going to assume I speak for everyone when I say the problem was that it had a really interesting setting, but never did anything with it. I wanted intergalactic war stuff and all I got was Alana and Marko running from fuck all to fuck all doing family drama shit. It was getting to the point where I wanted them caught so something important would happen.

What is it even about anyway? I keep seeing it in the Image catalogue, but the covers just look like someone's Narnia fanart.

For me its the fact that I can't tell what any of the characters want to do anymore. It started out with them wanting to find a nice place to settle down. Okay, good. I know what they're doing and why.

But now whats their goal? Beyond just getting their kid back or rescuing some other person, are they just planning to drift in space for the rest of forever?

From what I've read it's basically a Romeo and Juliet type deal with a couple from different sides of a war and the two (well with a kid) try to run from it and find a place to settle down.

That doesn't sound at all interesting. Why did it have to be aliens and not just regular humans?

The Will and Lying Cat are the best things in it, obviously.

The worst part is the main two characters.

Literally every other character in it is more interesting.

>Why did it have to be aliens and not just regular humans?

I don't know, man. I only read three pages into the first volume and all I saw were TV heads having sex/getting a video feed of these three fagots running somewhere.

I guess because they can push sci-fi and magic into the story maybe. Plus aliens are just funner to draw I guess. Though for all intensive purposes calling these guys aliens isn't fair considering both races are humans with horns or wings.

What are the two main characters like?

>Did it ever have potential?
It did. It seemed like some kind of actual plot was going to develop at some point and it had characters I was interested in. But it's been spinning its wheels and dicking around in a way that would make Walking Dead blush. And the endless 'lol dicks are so SHOCKING' sight gags are the epitome of cringe. At this point it's basically just a comic you only read if you want to see dicks.

My sister keeps insisting I read this series, is it any good?

Second-best. Prince Robot is ALWAYS entertaining. There's never a page he appears on which doesn't put a smile on my face, he's such a fancy bastard.

I have read like 6 volumes but i haven't followed it lately. has it ended?

Prince Robot is the MVP

Sup Forums's opinion is generally a 'no'. But I'm not sure having the board dictate what you read is particularly a good thing. Perhaps read a bit to understand why people don't like it.

I think people thought it was fine at first but then it just dipped into mediocrity and SJWness according to people on here.

Just... dull. They start out kind of all right, but then they get stuck by Alana having to be the perfect "strong female protagonist" and Marko being relegated to doormat to allow it.

The other characters feel far more real. Kind of sad when we are talking a girl ghost who is cut in half with her guts hanging out, a robot Prince with a TV for a head, a cat that can only say "Lying" but can tell when someone is lying so... handy, a former child prostitute who is the most innocent character in the story, a half-spider, half eight eyed naked lady bounty hunter and so on and so on.

Basically it feels like they went for the French sci-fi thing, and they *almost* got it. But the main two characters are the odd ones out. Generic and pigeon-holed.

I just bought volume 7 a few days ago, but haven't read through all of it yet. It certainly doesn't feel like it's ending. I enjoy the series well enough to spend $20 on it twice a year, but I agree that it would be better if it moved a LITTLE faster.

This said, I think the expectation that it would evolve into this giant epic of space battles and empires falling and such sort of misses the point of the series; it's about small personal dramas set against the backdrop of this huge interstellar war of magic and science, and the personal toll which it takes on this family caught in the crossfire. If that's to your tastes, then great. If not, then there's other series out there for you, but I think bringing false expectations to the table is unreasonable and only hurts one's chances for enjoyment.

And yes, Prince Robot is best boy.

>but then they get stuck by Alana having to be the perfect "strong female protagonist"

I don't think you read far enough. It doesn't take long for her to completely collapse under the pressure of their adventure and to become a strung-out drug addict who ruins their family by being a completely insane bitch. She's a very flawed character, just like everyone in this series.

Not the person you're replying to but I think the comic made a lot of mental leaps to portray her as being in the right or that she was doing nothing wrong by becoming an addict, and that Marko having an issue with it was his problem. That said I stopped reading around there so maybe she gets worse.

Everyone in this thread is an idiot. This comic is great.

>What's the worst part of this series?
People were acting like it was THE scifi comic, the only one worth paying attention to, and I couldn't convince anybody to try Prophet (which started 3 months earlier). That was the worst part for me.

Everyone? Even me? The guy who's bought all seven volumes and is defending the nuances of the book?

Hurtful.

Saga has a lot more charming art. That pic is pretty dense and harder to read in places.

Like a typical Portland couple with mid-range income.

And I don't mean to say that's a bad thing in and of itself, it just doesn't make for very good protagonists in a sci-fi story. Although I dug the analogy to the change in relationships when you get a kid, it got old too fast and got replaced with nothing.

In fairness, that's not actually a part of the series. That's just obnoxious fans being obnoxious fans, and anything good or noteworthy enough to attract a fandom gets people like that.

This, basically.

If the other user is right maybe I will try reading further.

Well not you obviously. Sup Forums is just turning into flavor of the month superhero drones and summerfags.

I read Prophet in the 90s but I didn't care enough to pick this up, I figured it would be more of the same, most people probably felt the same way. I've since read it and while I like it I don't think it has nearly the mainstream appeal as Saga, even properly marketed and branded it would never have been as popular

The only "superhero" books I read are The Phantom, phaggot.

What is the mainstream appeal of Saga?

Forbidden love, simpler and more palatable art, mascot characters

feminism and "diversity"

>At this point it's basically just a comic you only read if you want to see dicks.
Well, I'm sold. I just started reading it now.

i.e. shit

It's OK at the beginning and then "you'll find it readable or hate it" from other Vol 2 to like Vol 5-6. But then it objectively becomes bad, once the problems of become more noticeable and you realize that for all its talk of warring planets, political intrigue, etc., the actual scope of characterization will be limited as fuck.

And *then* you realize that it's kind of intentional, since it's basically TV-bait and TV shows are at their cheapest when they have a limited set of actors and/or a limited set of locales.

Moore's Supreme has nothing to do with Prophet or Glory, enough of this meme.

>it's basically TV-bait
Didn't BKV say they made it intentionally pretty much unadaptable?

Most interesting part is the gay mereman(?) journalists running around learning more stuff about the Wing government and shit. They're honestly more compelling protagonists than "I couldn't wear a condom until we were out of a war zone" couple of the year.

I feel like it's getting into the Walking Dead pattern of "everything's terrible" to "we have a new home" to "something is wrong with our new home" right back to "terrible", rinse and repeat until cable picks it up.

That's bullshit, it's totally adaptable as long as you get rid of the dicks.

>unadaptable.

I'm pretty sure anything can be adapted into anything else, regardless of the creator's original intent. Whether or not it's adapted well is another story entirely.

The fact that they said they made it 'intentionally unadaptable' implies a few things. One; They think their 'artistic merit' is so good that they don't want their work to go beyond it's source material. Two, they know fuck all about adaptability. Three, it could just be an excuse for shitty writing, like one of those things that fans of bigger series claim is 'intentional' but is really just the product of mismangaement or mistakes.

My point exactly

These faggots are actually pretty funny. They talk about the book objectivley. They aren't even trying to censor themselves or get the "YouTuber" crowd

youtu.be/nCo0J2IekFs

>>>>Sup Forums
>>>>Sup Forums
>>>>>>Oh NVM you're not actually shit posting

Go back to whatever hellhole you crawled out of.

I liked the first volume more than the second

What are the 'dicks so shocking' sight gags?

That cyclops's dick and balls, that dragon sucking his own dick, Prince Robot seeing a bunch of gay sex in his TV head when he gets wounded, and Prince Robot jerking off all come to mind.

>I guess
>I guess

It's free on the internet, you don't have to guess, you can just read it. Why post in a thread to give opinons about a comic you have't read-oh wait I'm Sup Forums.

People loved this shit in the beginning. Sup Forums wouldn't shut up about it. Been awhile since that was true though years and years.

Which chapters?

The most interesting part of the 1st issue was the introduction of the The Will, which was an almost 1:1 ripoff of The Metabaron, so alongside the Romeo + Juliet plot I realized there wouldn't be anything that wasnt done better elsewhere. Its a comic for casual readers who haven't realized this and consider it fresh.

BKV is one of my favorite writers but good lord man enough with the fucking cliffhangers. I get that you want to leave your readers wanting more, but man there's a limit.

Nothing. It's the best piece of written fiction ever.

Fuck man, I don't know, it's been like over 40 issues. It all sort of blurs together after a while. I do know that the cyclops was around the beginning, the gay sex on the TV screen was around the middle, and the dragon self-fellatio and Prince Robot jerking off were around the newest issues, especially the latter.

Lol wtf is this?

Those three have the worst tastes in everything.

>What's the worst part of this series?
It's babby's first indie comic, so people who've never read anything else act like it's the second coming of christ
>Did it ever have potential?
Re-read the first trade recently. It's pretty good, but by the time I got to vol 3 I remembered why I stopped
>Was it too generic?
Nah, it's not super original but it's decently executed. As others pointed out the main problem is spinning its wheels (also killing of most of the interesting characters for cheap shock value)
>What were parts/concepts you actually liked about it, if there are any at all?
Fiona Staples' art is really nice

>For me its the fact that I can't tell what any of the characters want to do anymore. I

The fact that IV and Sophie are the two characters left with an actual motivation really shows why they're the best.

To me the issue was that it got really formulaic and repetitive. Cliffhanger galore, not enough progression of plot with too much sidetracking and killing people just for shock value.

Because it makes it more interesting, and to be entirely fair to the book, some of the kooky concepts are quite fun.

Literally all I want from this comic is for IV to die, then Squire to find out that he's got a claim to the throne so he goes back to their planet and confronts King Robot about being a shitty person that seriously damaged IV.

Literally every sci-fi Image series runs on "potential".
Same shit with East of West, it starts interesting but then it crashes harder than a Boeing with all that shitty drama between the chosen.

To me Prophet was dull due to it being too interested in doing weird sci-fi shit for the sake of weirdness without ever actually providing a compelling main plot. I get the appeal if you're into concepts over plot but to me, if there's no hooking plot or engaging characters, I don't see the point keeping up with it beyond reading out of habit.

It's weird and quirky in a mainstream appeal sort of way. I remember reading a shit ton of manga when I was in high school just for their weirdness factor. Saga to me feels like it feeds to that same hunger for today's youth, at least to the ones who read western comics in trade format.

>And the endless 'lol dicks are so SHOCKING' sight gags are the epitome of cringe.

What are you, gay? The fact that the book shows cocks so nonchalantly is one of ththe better things about the series. It's cock gags, get over it.

So two niggers and a Chad talking about shit I don't care about. Why is this in my Sup Forums related thread? Fucking summerfags

> Characters aren't allowed to have different opinions than readers
> and they aren't allowed to be wrong

Anyone who thinks Hazel is supposed to be a reliable narator hasn't been paying attention.

>IV actual motivation
trying to suicide by proxy since before his wife even died.

dude, his motivation has been pretty clear since the start.

start a family / get his father's approval -> go back with his family -> avenge his wife -> raise his son -> stop Alana and Marko from fucking up his life.

You realize it's still one of the most popular comics today?

It doesn't matter. If Sup Forums doesn't like it, it sucks

Pleasantly surprised with this. I was expecting cringe but this is actually pretty funny. Background noise tier at best.

>Likes Saga
>Loves the characters
>Laughs at Sup Forums because this is more an allegory for parenthood and growing up
>Continues to laugh at Sup Forums because it's filled with capefags and casuals
>Still can't get over Abortion Town. That shit is hilarious.

This is another problem I have. This is supposed to be about Hazel telling us a story. Did she also tell us about the time her mom sucked off her dad right there on the beach?

I imagine that she heard the parts she wasn't present for from other people or that her story is slightlt different from what we see (for example, she refers to IV and Will as monsters, but then the page shows something different.)

It's good. Art is nice and I like the character dynamics and the willingness of the writer to kill of characters quickly. I think the plot is now just the characters running around in circles and waiting for shit to happen. I also hate the gay and tranny shit pushed by the comic. While the space politics and morality is more complex than lol evil empire, it's really shallow compared to real world equivalent. Less than a quarter of the earth tolerate that crap.