Just tried to watch this. Is it me or are the voices horrible? Like Japanese Goku horrible

Just tried to watch this. Is it me or are the voices horrible? Like Japanese Goku horrible.

The voices are great once you get used to it
It's all a bit shouty and lolsorandom for the first few episodes but gets better pretty soon. The show takes a while to find its stride.

Watch until Mewberty or the BMB and see if you still hate it

I thought Star sounded way too old at first, but it grew on me.

Just like Japanese Granny Goku it takes some time to get used to it, but once it grows into you, you start finding it charming instead of annoying.

I think the voice acting is pretty great but I also wasn't impressed at first.

Star can sound sort of fake at times in the early episodes when they tried a bit too hard to make her always wacky and funny. Once the writing gets stronger and the action slows down a bit later in the first season, they show more of her emotions and her VA gets the chance to show more of her range. The voice also works better when more of her personality is shown and it's clear she's not just supposed to be one trait, ex. crazy/cute/etc. Though if you don't like the pitch that's just how it's gonna stay; it's actually supposedly higher than Eden Sher's normal voice and yet is constantly called too low (I think it works for establishing her as a teenager despite the cutesy art style).

Ludo's voice gets noticeably a lot lower and less screechy by late season 1/all of season 2. Think he's maybe the one character where the difference in voice is immediately recognizable between episodes.

Some side characters do have pretty shit voices (Alfonzo, Brittney, some of the monsters) but pretty much all of them stop consistently appearing within season 1. I think Pony Head sounds fine but if you think she's a bitch then she's gonna grate too, but she also doesn't show up very frequently.

Other than that not sure which characters might be bothering you, but for most of the ones some people complain about at first it's an "it gets better" situation. Marco sounds pretty much like a standard young teenage guy in a cartoon to me.

I really had a hard time getting used to Stars voice, too often have I seen grown-up women trying to sound like 12yo, trying to be all cute and random, which is exactly how Star did sound like at first to me.

You have to get used to it, just like grandma Goku

As time goes on, they own their roles. With events that happen later, I can't imagine Star having a higher more teenager-y voice

no, they're great, like japanese goku great
that's literally what i like about it

I don't understand why people say Star sounds old. Have you people never heard a fourten year old talk? They don't sound like in your japanese animes.

star is cute and perfect you heretic

No human being sounds like an anime girl. They're voices are nails on a chalkboard.

Their I mean

I can't believe there are people who don't love Star's voice. It's like 90% of why I watch the show. The actual plots are pretty bad and few other characters do anything for me. It's just dat voice and cute mannerism. She's like a girl Homestar.

Eh, it took me a few episodes to get used to her voice.

>The actual plots are pretty bad and few other characters do anything for me.
Have you watched season 2 yet?

Star voice sounded way too whimsical at first but it evolved into more natural as the show went on.

Even in season 2 there's hardly anyone to invest in besides Moon and Ludo.

And on earth? It's sad when the character on earth I invest in most besides Marco is Jackie. That tells you how weak the earth cast is.

You can tell that the only people from the Earth cast that had an impact were Jackie, Janna, and in a smaller case Marco's parents.

GONNA GEDA LIDLE WEEO
GONNA GEDA LIDLE WAYO

Has Janna even really had a real impact yet? I mean she's close enough to Star that it doesn't really matter now, but what has she done to move the plot forward apart from drag Star away from Marco in Bon Bon?

Also one more thing is that sometimes people get on Star's voice for sounding too awkward, or at least that's what I assume they're getting at when they say she sounds like a fat girl or a tumblr user or whatever.

But that actually works because Star is a sperg. And I don't even mean "lol you're autistic if you like this," but as in she's a socially awkward dumbass who never thinks things through.

It's pretty much impossible to imagine the phone call scene in Bon Bon where Star gets especially sad and awkward if it was delivered by a typical high-pitched chirpy cartoon voice actor.

For that matter, I think it's good she's voiced by someone who's normally a live-action actor: her voice has more range because there's not really a narrow "Star voice" she has to stick in, and thus sounds more like a real person with the way her voice can vary a bit depending on the situation. Which can sound dumb for the earliest episodes where she really is more or less just a standard cartoon archetype, why would she NEED to sound real, but once things get more serious it works well.

It's got Gravity Falls syndrome, also known as casting 30 year olds to voice kids.

shittily casting 30 year olds*
I know it's been done since the dawn of time, but they stopped trying to actually sound like children at one point.

No. She's just there to give Star someone to talk to when no one else is available.

where the fuck is the usual star vs thread

Look for a picture of Toffee and Moon in the catalog