Homestuck - How good was it actually?

It has been a while since I have read Homestuck. I got into Homestuck probably around just over two years ago, though the "Let's read Homestuck" series on Youtube. I watched this to just before the scratch, around half way through Act 5 Act 2, before I stopped, went back and read the comic for myself. I read up until Jane is transported to her planet, The land of Crypts and Helium, which was Act 6 Act 3 if I remember correctly. It has been probably around a year since I was reading the comic on a regular basis, and my saved page has been lost for some reason. It has been so long, I feel like I should probably start again from the beginning to get up to speed again, but is it really worth it?

I am not really part of the fandom, and just stuck to myself with the comic, but from what I have heard, Homestuck reached it's peak at the end of Act 5 Act 2 with Cascade, this was also when it was at it's most popular, I don't really know and this is all speculation.

I really enjoyed most of what I read, but there were some parts that were a chore to get through, the dream bubbles section spring to mind. Apparently the ending isn't all that great either, leaving a lot of people unsatisfied.

So what is Sup Forums's opinion on Homestuck as a whole, is it worth sticking until the end? If so should I start over or just pick up where I left off?

>No spoilers please

Trolls lowered the quality of the comic.

Did you finish it?

Yeah.

Was it worth?

Not him, but I thought it was.
I just wish it could've been... Better.

Well, there is an epilogue coming, and Hiveswap, whenever that comes out. Side note, do you know if I would have to have finished Homestuck before I play Hiveswap?

>Well, there is an epilogue coming, and Hiveswap
you say this as if it's something we should look forward to

Why would you not be looking forward to it? Was the ending really that bad?

I thought it was worth when it was just the 4 kids + the B plot, then a completely different plot started involving 12 trolls, then it introduced another 12 trolls, then a completely different set of 4 kids.

It's like watching the first Avengers, then when Thor, Iron Man, and Captain America are in the forest, you pause the movie and watch all of Phase 1 MCU, then after doing so you start watching the Avengers again 10 minutes before the moment you pause.

I didn't think that the large amount of character and plot arks were too bad, I am just wondering if the end justifies the means.

It'd be prefered if you want to know -exactly- what's going on, but that's like saying you need to play Warcrafts 1-through-3 to get into World of Warcraft.

Hey! Let me tell you about Homestuck!

I think it's one of those "read it until it bores you" kind of things. It was probably better to read it as it came out as the frequent (well, at least while I read it) updates meant it was easy to follow but when I went back to read it again it was painfully slow. Has anyone made an abridged version of it yet?

Well I have read it all up until around Act 6 Act 3, and I think I remember enough to continue. How much more is there? Isn't the start of Act 6 like, the midpoint?

Think of Homestuck as a pie of four pieces.
Acts 1-through-5 made up the first three pieces.
Act 6 is the last piece divided into yet smaller pieces.

You are in the middle of the last quarter of the comic. Does that make sense?
Have a Nepeta.

homestuck was without a doubt worth the read. ive been reading since 2012 and i honestly think that i think/talk about this comic every single day. even now i watch the big flashes like cascade or jade: enter and im still like stunned even tho ive seen them a few hundred times over the course of the years, cause i watch them at least weekly.

whether or not you read the latter half of the comic is up to you, but i honestly think that once you read the first half youll want to read act 6 and onwards so you might as well. its not even bad, just very mediocre at that point.

ive reread the comic about 7ish times and every time im pretty sure i notice something new that i forgot/never realized so i would honestly jjust recommend rereading it

It's had it's ups and downs, like all good comics. Compared to some out there, Homestuck is by far the better comic in terms of story, diversity of cast, and plot and thematic elements.

But you shouldn't be afraid to cast a critical eye at it's issues. A good fan can appreciate the work while still acknowledging it's faults.

And just for fun, a friend of mine drew a Genderswap of Alpha Dave, Aka, Sis.

the problem with the ending is that it took way too long to be published and it didn't really end the comic, it was "an open ending".
plus, despite being animated and produced with an acceptable quality it could never live up to the standard set by the better parts of the comic
it wasn't that bad, but it was bad in context

I guess I'll give it another try then, I wont bother starting from the beginning, as I know the first Act very well, and acts 2-5 were pretty easy to follow, and I think I understand where things are in the story, so I guess I'll start back at the start of Act 6

You won't be disappointed.
Or maybe you will.
That's up for you to decide.

Just watching some of the Flashes really gets me in the mood to start reading it again to be honest. Despite the fact I haven't actually continued to read it for quite a while, I still think about it a lot, and I have been meaning to go back to it for a while

Then you must finish it.
Just so that you can finally see how it ends.

You've convinced me, I'll get to it.

It was motherfucking slow before the trolls, If they had took one more arc to really show up I wouldn't be able to continue reading

Are you just saying this to get more pictures out of me, or are you genuine?

Thanks dood

I am genuine, what are you implying?

looking back it wasnt that bad.

the retconn was a bunch of crap but i think korra is worse comparatively.

>Almost immediately after his father dies
>John starts talking in an excited tone about how great Nic Cage is to his waifu (who is also dead)
why does he not seem to care?
he seemed pretty sensitive about it when he went into rage mode on his 15th birthday

>this picture and concept
I love it.

Poor writing.

Nothing at all, I merely jest.
He was coping.

I always pictured Aranea on the curvier side, with Vriska on the more slim side. You feel?

That's okay then, have another stock image, as its's all I have

Fuck

Then you must take the ones I offer, and use them wisely.