Drawing tablets

I draw and ink on paper, but then color/edit through Adobe programs on the computer.

I bought a $40 Turcom piece of shit that came from Amazon defective; even with disabling my track pad, the cursor wouldn't leave the corner of the screen. I replaced it with another one that did the same thing.

What is the best tablet at a lower price?

I've always heard good shit about Monoprice.

I have a wacom graphire4 that I bought a fuck ton of years ago, and it's great, even if it's tiny. Look for it, maybe you can find it second handed.

Try asking one of the art boards, really. Maybe even /photo/.

Wacom is pretty much what you want.
Well actually you'd want a cintiq, but they're way overpriced, while the average tablet is pretty affordable.

You need a Cintiq to draw super fucking good right?

YES.
I DRAW SUPER GOOD ON MY CINTIQ
I DRAW SUPER FUCKING GOOD ON MUH CINTITSH

It's an easier step if you come from drawing with traditional media, yes.

Is it good for life Sup Forums?

Friendly reminder that you can replace your pen nibs with uncooked spaghetti and they still work.

this should be asked in /ic/

Or you could get a Huion tablet for the same pressure sensitivity at 1/3rd of the price, the only downsides being 1. direct from china company and 2. have to reset the pen a bit more often

DO YOU WANT SCRATCHES ON YOUR SCREEN NIGGA?? BECAUSE THAT'S HOW YOU GET SCRATCHES

Whats the cheapest Huion display tablet?

Ask /ic/. They have more experience.

And consensus on Cintiq seems to be that you won't be better compared to working with a regular old tablet, but you'll work faster (and get back pains).

Well, that's another possibility, I guess. I don't know how good the huions work, so I cannot speak for them.

>scratches on your screen
>screen

Not everybody's tablet has a screen.

In any case I bought a $10 plastic cover for my tablet so now my nibs last forever anyway.

IF you already have an Ipad or similar sized tablet, you can buy a stylus, if you buy a good one it will work very similar to a tablet.
Even if you get a shitty one for 2 bucks you can do a lot of cute things with it.

I got a huion h610 from amazon for $50. I've had it for about 1 and a half years, and it still works fine for the price. I think there might be even cheaper ones than that.

they've bumped the price up to $60 apparently, but I'd still say it's worth it if you want a cheap tablet.

oh wait, didnt notice the "display" part of you request. disregard what i said then

Cheapest display tablet atm is the Huion GT-190 at 350-400 dollarydoos its a 19" screen too

As somebody who went from cintiq to Huion I haven't spotted a single difference in the pressure performance. Only downside like I said was the pen needed resetting more often but that's just a hit of whatever button your art program has to reset the pressure.

Still gonna get scratches which will fuck up your drawing if the pen catches on it

Yeah that's an option if you already have those kinds of tablets, but if you're planning to go beyond flat painting I would say get a normal drawing tablet.

Get a tablet, not a display. If yo want a display you might as well get an entire computer for more or less the same price, like a Yoga 720 with a pen.

What type of cintiq and what huion? And what kind of drawing were you making?
Not asking to be an ass, just genuinely curious.

Older iPads are really limited in how many layers they will support and canvas size, ime.
Iused mine for clean up and lettering, but now I do it all on my laptop in the Gimp

've been working on a huion 1060 pro last couple months, it's pretty good
used a wacom intuos 3 before
the only thing wacom does better is the pen, and if it's not a deal breaker for you I'd rec this 100%
picrelated is something I've drawn on the huion as proof of some kind of credibility

what's wrong with the pen?

Got one.
Works as a charm after you finally find the correct drivers.
The stylus is a little bigger than a regular one and tip needs to be changed once in a while.
Tho i heard some that put a piece of dry spaguetti as the tip

Compared to Wacom's pen it's lighter and less ergonomic, think a good generic ballpoint pen vs a good Parker
it's also has to be charged, I charge it once a week, it's not a big deal

The Cinqiq wasn't even mine it the ones they had at uni, I think it was the 22 HD

Meanwhile I got the Huion GT-220 in a bundle deal for about 500 dollars with a big stand and those funny gloves. Here's a bit of painting practice I did when I first got it. I do a lot of colour mixing with my art.

Yeah the pen is also really light but I don't mind at all.

For all the Sup Forums artists, how long did it take for you to master basics?

OP, Wacom is expensive but their tablets are the best out there, so you will be better off if you're able and willing to save a bit more to get one. I'd get an Intuos medium at the very smallest, because the small is just way too tiny to use. No real point in getting an Intuos Pro - only real advantage is the hotkeys, but having extra pressure levels won't mean much, especially if you're just starting out.

I used an Intuos large with a 1920x1080 monitor until I saved up for a Cintiq of the same size. Cintiq is more fun, but it won't magically make you a better artist.

It's an ongoing thing, user. You never truly master it.

Basics are too broad a term, bruh
I, personally, still struggle with some of the fundamentals, even while getting professional jobs.
I also was casually drawing thought all my teenage years, slowly picking up good and bad habits, so it's hard to tell
But if you wanna know how long would it take for a freshman I'd say a dedicated mind with a strong will could do that in about 6 months

You never do.
If you mean going beyond MSPaint/deviantart tier stuff depends how much you practice.

Depends what you mean by basics. If you're talking from drawing shitty shapes to decent ones it took me half my childhood.
If you're talking about digital painting it took me 1 year for basics 3 for mastery and I did all that with a microsoft mouse.
As for masting a drawing tablet it took about 5 months then I had an emotional breakdown and holy shit did I lose a lot of my skill I still haven't gotten back to where I was

12 seconds. I drew the Mona Lisa with crayons when I was nary a year old. Sometimes I sneeze and the moisture creates entire waterpaintings.

hope you're doing okay user

I have this thing, it's cheap and good but the pressure system fucking sucks. I used an old style bamboo and my life was changed.

I've been using a Wacom Bamboo for about 5 years with no problems. Cost me £80 at the time (approx $100-120 USD considering exchange rate fluctuation) - according to Amazon the current price equivalents are the "Splash", "ONE" and maybe "Intuos Draw".

Yeah I'm better I just wish my art was too :(

Do all pens work with almost every tablet?

Friendly reminder that you're gonna scratch up your screen if you do that.

I bought a nice Wacom bluetooth stylus for my iPad (the only one I could find that had a real pen tip and not that rubber end shit) but I fucking hated drawing on it, it felt like trying to draw with a ballpoint pen on glass.

Then I bought a two dollar matte finish screen protector and it feels just like my Intuos tablet. Obviously it's not as good, but it's nice as a way of sketching on the go.

Are you actually replacing pen nibs so frequently that you need to go for weird DIY tricks like that to save some money? I've only had to replace a nib once during all the years I've been using tablets.

I think you need the exact pen model that goes with the tablet. I have two Wacoms that are different models, and they need their own pen. If I try to use one of the pens on the wrong tablet, nothing happens.

I've heard good things about the £50 Wacom tablet on Amazon atm that comes in blue and white.

Wacom's got a boner for putting textured surfaces on their tablets which grind down nibs fast. The cheapest fix is just to get a plastic overlay. 10 or 20 dollars and your nibs will never go bad.

not him, but the new wacom pens get all used up in like 2 weeks if you work a lot
older ones would last, like, a year
and the new once cost way too much
fucking wacom hacks enjoy their monopolist position

And presto it's a girl with a penis

There are spare nibs inside the pen stand if you open it up (though it may depend on what model you get).

The biggest problem with non-wacom tablets will always be the drivers. Windows tries to install their own drivers that won't work and the company's drivers themselves are poorly made and so who knows what will happen when you try to install it. There's probably some raindance you could do to make the tablet work but who knows.

Personally I have been using a Huion 610pro for the last three years. The drivers are garbage to the point where if the usb cable comes out of the tablet while you're drawing then your computer will crash when you try to shut it down. Avoidable but obnoxious. The pen is okay. I forget that I have to recharge it and every month or two it just stops working. Thankfully you can still use it while it's charging. I've also had to replace it twice. The first one was mostly my fault, I used it for non-intended purpose and it broke, but the second one stopped holding onto nibs. The third one has been working fine for now but it's a lot less sensitive than the second one was, essentially requiring some pressure before it would register any pressure, so I had to change a lot of settings to make it work as I wanted. Replacement pens are only $20 so it's really not that bad compared to Wacom's $80 replacements. I've used a Wacom Intuous from ~2005 and a Bamboo and I'd say the 610 pro falls inbetween the two as far as quality goes. If I had the money I'd just buy a nice Wacom and get rid of most the headaches but for the price the Huion worked well once I got the drivers all figured out.

dude, I've been drawing on wacoms for like, 8 years
I know all this

I've got the white one. The small size and the light pen makes it comfy to use

Fortunately, people who don't know that can also read that post.

true that, apologies
I had similar problems with 610, upgrading to 1060 solved most of them
I've had some troubles with my double screen setup, but it worked out in the end as well
it's kinda funny that my old 610pro worked when I plugged it in too
fucking chinks doing hardware reskins

I've had great luck with my uc-logic. thankfully the same pens keep coming out under new names so I can get replacements, because the pens arent as reliable as the tablets. gotta get a new one every 18-24 months. but i got a 9x12 tablet for like 180 bucks, so

One By Wacom medium is probably the cheapest medium-sized tablet you can get. It's very basic (pen only), but it works.

I'd say, avoid the small-sized tablets, they're shit for your hand/arm, limits you to moving your wrists only, when it's much better to use the whole arm.

This.