Where can I start with Captain Marvel

Where can I start with Captain Marvel.

>inb4 le snarky epic quips about C*rol Danvers.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VNlV4AoxgL0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

That's Shazam, though.

The Power of Shazam by Jerry Ordway

The 1994 Graphic Novel that is, 96 pages only but pretty much the foundation of the modern cap

Are you actually asking about Billy? Your post makes it ambiguous. If so,
>Thunderworld
>Johns' stuff
>Curse of Shazam
>Kingdom Come
off the top of my head

I've heard all the Fawcett stuff still holds up.

Thanks

Nigger

No, his old comics even call him Captain Marvel, but why are you posting Johnny Storm?

The Golden Age Captain Marvel stories (there is some racist shit in them, but other than that they're pretty goddamn good comics)
The Power of Shazam by Jerry Ordway
Crisis Times Five! (JLA arc)
Shazam! The Power of Hope
Superman/Shazam: First Thunder
Shazam: The Monster Society of Evil
Thunderworld
Convergence: Shazam!

There's also Curse of Shazam if you want something a little different.

But Billy is a non-character until the end in Kingdom Come, the fuck are you talking about? And how is "Johns' stuff" different from Curse of Shazam?

>there is some racist shit in them
It only makes it better senpai

>Thunderworld

Oh man the things i'd give to have an Earth-5 Marvel Family book

Ed Gee.

Same here.

So, there's a must read around here, but till then...

>POS GN, 1-47, Annual by Jerry Ordway

>Monster society of evil 1-4

>Convergence Shazam by Parker

>Shazam GN by Dini and Ross

>Multiversity Thunderworld

Are you fucking kidding me with that shit?

Johns

Honestly, Waid and Simone were supposed to be apart of it so fuck that noise. I'd rather have had Ross and Krueger's series. Or the one Darwyn Cooke proposed.

>inb4 le snarky epic quips about C*rol Danvers.
Don't worry. He's still the second manliest Captain Marvel out there.

Nah, she's still manlier than Johnny is. Probably has a bigger penis too.

This

But I may warn you, I hated how Curse of Shazam started off, once Billy gets his powers the story drastically improves.

Monster Society of Evil (the Jeff Smith mini) and First Thunder are better Cap stories than most of those though.
And Kingdom Come only works once you've read some other stories first.

Has Simone ever even written the Big Red Cheese? Why the contempt?

>first, Fawcett Comics gets fucked over by a Proto-DC because Captain Marvel was 'too similar' to Superman and even got better sales than Supes for a little while
>then DC acquires the rights to him and his "universe" some 20 odd years later, and subsequently does fuck-all with this new IP because that would risk wasting any opprotunity to reinforce Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman's brand recognition for the umpteenth time well at least he did get his own show at one point, but it's no surprise if neither you nor anyone else remembers that shit
>and then later, Marvel comes out of the woodwork and takes the trademark for the name "Captain Marvel" so they can push some token female hero nobody knows or cares about because they don't have any better female icons to utilize
Has any other capeshit character been legally fucked over harder? In a fairer universe, he'd have been the definitive/mainstream "Golden Age" hero.

fucking lol

t. probably bought into the """Slutfire controversy""" too.

She's fathered more children than him, at least.

Shazam is the wizard you drunk bitch

bump

>Shazam

What the fuck? They mispelled it. Not to mention why is he white and doesn't look a thing like Shaq?

Rastus Brown ends up being hilarious precisely because of how racist it is. I don't know why you would warn someone "Hey, this stuff is super problematic so be careful" when it's so far over the top.
If we bitched about stereotypes in Golden Age comics we'd be here all day.

I second this. If you want a good, modern origin story like Year One was for Batman, this is your best choice. It incorporates the whimsy of the original comics while still telling a good, character-driven story. Curse of Shazam, while it's a decent comic, it's closer to a movie pitch and doesn't really feel like Captain Marvel.

>well at least he did get his own show at one point, but it's no surprise if neither you nor anyone else remembers that shit
Hey, I was born in '69 so I do remember that show. There's nothing creepier than a teenage boy traveling around the country in a RV with an old guy they aren't related to.

youtube.com/watch?v=VNlV4AoxgL0

Best first reply I could have hoped for.

Add to this:

Justice - illustrated by Alex Ross; more of a JL story, but Captain gets a decent role there, instead of a played out excuse to fight Superman as usual like in Kingdom Come.

The "Shazam" Convergence issues also featuring steampunk Batman

Give it to Parker and Shane, and DC can expect regular income from me.

Well gee user, I don't know, maybe OP is black and wouldn't find it funny? What's wrong with a little courtesy, just in case? Sheesh.