The New 52 = Was a Massive Success

I hear a lot of people shit on the New 52 and I don't Fucking get it! Basically the New 52 catapulted DC over Marvel, essentially for good now. They now dominate Comic book sales, been in front and have never looked back.

>DC Universe got its reboot
If the DC Universe doesn't get reset every once in a while it goes to shit. When it gets rebooted the writers get to swing for the fences and really tell great stories. It brings out the best in DC

>Batman
We have basically gotten the best version of Batman since I have been reading comics. Snyder actually "gets" Bruce Wayne unlike the last two decades of writers.

>Approachability for new comic readers
I think a lot of cats got into comics during the New52. You didn't have to read 100s of back issues to jump into all of the heroes stories

>Aquaman and Wonder Woman
A serious rendering of Aquaman for the first time in his comic book history. A new and relevant Wonder Woman. New 52 got her that movie.

I mean you could go on and on, but I think book by book it was positive. Is it only Wally Fags that hate New 52? Because they don't really buy books, so I don't know why anyone even listens to what they say. They aren't really DC fans.

>Snyder actually "gets" Bruce Wayne unlike the last two decades of writers.

Ugh, get the fuck out.

>A new and relevant wonder woman
an obnoxious bitch

its a "the justice league face their EVIL counterparts from an alternative universe... AGAIN"

It's more likely that Rebirth is what secured DC's domination over Marvel.

New 52 only beat Marvel in sales for 3-4 months. A little longer than Rebirth I think but still not long.

Can I hijack and vent about current JL?
Don't get me wrong, I didn't like superbro and I like that nu52 got rebirthed, but current JL bugs me a lot -not that the previous one was great, of course-.
See, here's the issue. I do find the run shit, but that happens. Shitty runs are part of the course.
But what's really, REALLY bugging me is the villains. They're all nobodies.
>not!Mass Effect reapers we never heard about before
>magic colour status we never heard about before
>a hacker's daughter playing with an app
>a scientist who fucked up an experiment with alien tech

Like, where are the villains? Where are the known enemies, the evil leagues, the plans, the invasions from known alien baddies?
Why are all current JL enemies one-off non-characters?

I wouldnt necessarily call it a success, at least the way you're thinking OP. It was an experimental phase, doing new things with DC characters, not all of them worked, and then they moved on to Rebirth with what they had learned. Also
>Snyder actually "gets" Batman
Fuck off. The only thing Snyder "gets" is a paycheck and all he cared about was leaving his mark on Batman rather than creating a well written story

New 52 only happened to make the universe more profitable for adaptations. It's the same shit as Nuhumans, where Marvel turned them into bootleg X-Men with the intent of putting these characters into movies.

>Unlike the last two decades of writes
>Implying Morrison Bats doesn't take a giant dump on Snyder Bats

>I think a lot of cats got into comics during Nu52

It was also a jumping off point for a lot of readers. And it just added a bunch of "need to read" shit like Flashpoint and a ton of stuff like Pandora, Stormwatch predating the JLA, and Gen 13 being mixed in with Teen Titans that were quietly placed at the bottom of the toy box.

Rebirth was a better jumping on point for new readers because it was all forward momentum without sacrificing what fans were invested in.

>Aquaman

Dude I love John's Aquaman but if you think this was the first time he was taken seriously you're delusional.

>Wonder Woman

It perpetuated more of that "psycho wonder woman goddess of war shit" that Rebirth took a big hammer to. There's a good reason the film didn't show the Amazons as kidnapper rapists and Wonder Woman as the goddess of war.

Rebirth beat Marvel. not Nu52.

I think that's the problem with the current JL, it should be the line's flagship title but it doesn't matter at all, it's like the JL doesn't matter at all. They really need to up the scope and importance of the title, make it matter again

It needs to go back to doing "widescreen" stuff like the Morrison League. Big threats, big problems, big action. And keep Johns the hell away from them. He's good with some books and ideas and bad with others. Justice League is one he's bad with.

This. It was created to be a less edgy version of Marvel Ultimates, survived about as long, and will be as fondly remembered as Ultimates.

What problem presents!?

>This. It was created to be a less edgy version of Marvel Ultimates, survived about as long, and will be as fondly remembered as Ultimates.
If I recall Marvel was pushing hard for Ultimates to be the foundation for an adaptation, too. That's why they published it in trade-sized chunks, too.

I couldn't possibly disagree with you more on this. I think JL needs to be a "lighter" book, needs to focus on giving the heroes an out from their regular books, almost like they get to dress down in Business Casual after having to wear suits if that analogy makes sense.

It should also be used to build up and coming heroes, give them a push to make a wrestling analogy.

It's hard to do that with big bad villains or threats to the DC universe. I really enjoy the direction its been going in.

I understand what you're saying but I don't think the JLA is the right team for something like that. JSA would be more appropriate as a sort of mixed team of veterans and newbs. It was like that before Nu52 and with the JSA getting REBIRTHED its likely to be like that now as well.

Would love to see Cyclone and Stargirl again.

Sometimes it's useless to discuss because some people just fucking create their own version of reality.

>Too many fakeouts
>His Joker is shit
>Zero Year's only redeeming factor was Riddler getting time to shine
Guy got lucky with Court of Owls

But it's not like you can't be light and have enemies who are not
>no name space-bug #767

>His Joker is shit
This so much. He's written my least favorite Joker ever.

>Basically Rebirth catapulted DC over Marvel, essentially for good now. They now dominate Comic book sales, been in front and have never looked back.

Fixed that for you.

Well what do you mean?

Is New 52 Metal Men, Metamorpho, or Cyborg worth reading?

Some of the most interesting stories, best sales and most innovated take on the characters, more so than that pretentious fucking hack Morrison. Please though, try and say it was only due to art.

Scott pls

it got me into reading comics. ill say that for the new52.

I enjoyed the Metamorpho trade, and the Metal Men book is pretty good. Metamorpho's only for really hardcore fans of the character, though.

New 52 was great for bringing in new readers and giving some less popular heroes a chance to shine, like Aquaman. It bumped up sales for a while but things went back to normal. The problem came with Convergence and DCYou. A filler event followed by some massive status quo changes really put people off. So DC reverted things mostly, blamed it on a reality warping god, and focused on their most popular characters and brought in as many good writers and editors as they can.

New 52 and DCYou were ambitious but readers weren't interested. At least Rebirth has a lot of good comics, they're just playing it safe.

A stack of grip of people can say that.

Who the Fuck are you?

In the two decades before Snyder we had Dixon, Loeb, Grant, Rucka, Brubaker, Dini and Morrison. Your taste is bad and you should feel bad.

Most of their Batman runs were way overrated.

Johns can't into villians that are not also heroes.

Hey man, the Crime Syndicate is good fun. Its a shame they're dead for the time being though
He also cant write Wonder Woman

>He also cant write Wonder Woman

Fuck off Ralph! What do you know about writing women? Go Fucking go jerk off to the Fucking Star Trek reboot.

yeah it was overall

>We have basically gotten the best version of Batman since I have been reading comics.

Someone us are older than 12, user.

>Some of the most interesting stories
No

>Court of Owls was decent but the twist was dumb bullshit
>Joker runs around with an edgy rotting face then doesn't actually do anything
>we want the year one audience except way longer and shitter and his first year was also no man's land for some reason
>then right along to another Joker story, because what self respecting author can resist going more than one arc without him? And this time he has Joker zombies! Everyone loves zombies!
Superheavy was the only one I really liked, and that was barely Batman.

>I've never read anything before new 52
The post

>A serious rendering of Aquaman for the first time in his comic book history.
oh
so you've never read any other aquaman comics.
ok

you're completely right
I'm enjoying Hitch's JL because it's basically him doing Morrison's JLA/the JL tv show
just random weird stuff that superheroes solve

yes

I wish I had a minigun cock like Hal.