Is Thor the others from Asgard literal Gods and Goddesses or just a very advance alien species?

Is Thor the others from Asgard literal Gods and Goddesses or just a very advance alien species?

In the comics literal Gods and Goddesses

Yes

In the comics Thor is a member of one of the races of gods that was created when the Godeater shed all of its extra divine power it had gained by eating the corrupt elder gods.

That essence went into humans, but being unable to use it they instead subconsciously imbued it into their imagined deities. The original deities were birthed this way and it is explained in the comics that most of the gods of the various pantheons are their descendants. Egyptian deities are actually some of the Oldest and apparently Ra was actually based on/IS the Godeater as primitive man saw him flying into the sun to rest after defeating the elder gods.

Thor himself is also half elder god and the son of Gaia, the last elder god to be free on the prime material plane and living in the earth.

FYI the elder gods were created by the Demiurge, an entity created by TOAA to fill that universe with life.

Both actually, in the comics they are refered to as gods but they are definitely cosmic "aliens" .

Asgardians and Asgardian Gods are not the same thing. Both are super-strong when compared to normal humans though.

Wow thats pretty cool and also the neardiest damn thing i have ever saw someone say

Depends how you define the word "god".

I mean on one hand, they're not responsible for creating the universe or life...

But on the other, they have the power to control the natural world and they're...not traditionally immortal but reincarnate when they die though, so...

His Father is Odin
His Mother is Gaea
His brother is Loki
His Aunt is Oshtur
His Uncles are Chthon and Set
His cousin is Aggamoto

Asgardians are uniquely alien among the Marvel pantheons since they kinda live in space.

Powerful deity that have control of the elements. That usually live in a other worldly realm.

They don't live in space. Asgard is in another dimension from regular Earth.

That would describe a lot of beings who wouldn't normally be considered gods.

>someone asks question about subject
>user gives thorough explanation
>"Lol so nerdy XD"

Fuck off, user.

>Can't tell when something is obviously a joke
Being actually autistic, man you should probably kill yourself

Guess what moron? We live in space. Our floating rock in the void versus their floating continent, same shit. Another dimension or not, asgardians live in space and are alien to us

I don't get how people find it so hard to understand that there is no difference between gods and "advanced aliens".

If we showed a computer to a native from 3000 BC, they wouldn't be able to even comprehend what it was, it would break their understanding of the world on a fundamental level.

That's the idea here. Magic and divinity are incomprehensible to us, but gods like Thor are so advanced that magic is mundane to them and they understand how it works.

Then you have the "magic" from the Thor movies that we look at and just go "oh, it's computers and force fields and laser guns". That's not magic OR sufficiently advanced technology, it's just technology.

The idea isn't "they're not gods, they're aliens", it's that the two terms aren't mutually exclusive.

I prefer God.

I also find the concept of "Picking up Thor's hammer means you're Thor". It just feels...odd. Like a slice of Thor's being is now in the hammer, and whomever picks it up gets it embedded onto them. It's like I had a pencil that somehow had characteristics about me and if someone else picks it up, they are somehow me with some qualities I have?

And if so, why is it that whomever picks up the hammer gets super strength when Thor with or without the hammer is he same strength?

I think about this too much. And all the above gets more complicated when you say he's an alien.

Being a dismissive cunt earns you scorn.

I came to lurk about the thor lore, but I found an identity crisis.

this isn't the case of MCU Thor's right?

>literal Gods and Goddesses or just a very advance alien species?

What the fuck is the difference?

"God" just amounts to "very powerful being" in comics and sci-fi/fantasy.

Guess what again fagget! Asgard as earth all along so they aren't from space or aliens

That's actually a great way of putting it.

I recommend you read on Aztec gods and their teixiptlahuan or teixiplta. And the concept of Teotl as explained by Maffie.

That truly gets... bizarre.

But guess what ya maroon
Even if it's the same world just a different version, a different dimension, it's still alien to us, unless it came from OUR version of OUR earth, it's alien

>I think about this too much.

And the writers think about it too little.

The hammer is a weapon. It didn't contain Thor's power, just the key to releasing it from Donald Blake...

We actually don't know for sure. The origin of the MCU Asgardians remains unknown... although I strongly suspect we'll hear in 'Thor: Ragnarok'. It seems the perfect subject for the pre-title scene.

Side note: In 'Earth X', which for about five minutes was supposed to be the canonical future of the comics Marvel Universe, the Asgardians were nomadic super-aliens who had no characteristics of their own at all. They once had been 'normal' beings, but they had reached the ultimate stage of their evolution (as designed by the Celestials).
In Earth-X humans (and, supposedly, many other races) have been manipulated/created by the Celestials so they would develop super-powers in three tiers:
1 - You get a superpower. That could be pretty much anything. Most superheroes operate on this principle.
2 - You get the ability to change into any set of superpowers you need. Some superheroes have an embryonic version of this, like Mr.Fantastic.
Apparently all the Skrulls are Tier 2, even though they're supposed to be Deviants, so that doesn't make sense.
3 - You develop unlimited potential; you can have any superpower there is, and practically infinite power... but you can only be what others expect from you, or believe about you. If you are convinced other people believe you are a beautiful woman, or the Devil, or Galactus, that is what you will actually be.

That is what happened to the beings who became the Asgardians. They are gods - so long as they think others consider them gods.

>set
Mythology fries my brain like an egg man
I thought set was Egyptian mythology and shiet, Thor and Odin and shit are Norse right? I dunno
Maybe it's just my Neanderthal brain failing to comprehend that things of religion and mythology are literally like continents and shit
Some god that's Egyptian like Ra can still fuck gay gods from Greece up I guess? Iunno

think of it like this. Odin turned Thor into Donald Blake, and made Mjolnir the key to him tapping into his powers. He put on the hammer 'Whomstdve lift this hammer have the power of Thor'
that's a story. and gods are just living stories. and even after the mindfuck of Donald Blake was lifted from Thor, the story of Don Blake who could become Thor persisted.
stories are viral, they spread and they adapt to change. When Odin changed the story of Thor to involve a man named Don Blake he unwittingly changed the story of Mjolnr more than he realized, and that story persisted with or without Odin's blessing because enough people think its a good story.

In Marvel Comics, you have Seth, who is a member of the Egyptian Pantheon - but he stole his name from the Elder God Set, who is a giant snake with seven heads.

Ra is also an Egyptian god, but originally he was Atum, who was the son of the Elder Goddess Gaia and also known as the Demogorge, the Doom of Gods.

I don't know why Atum went to live with the Egyptian pantheon, but he did.

Okay. It's like this.

Marvel Earth has innate 'life force', and in the beginning, this life force developed consciousness and became a being known as the Demiurge. The Demiurge seeded Earth with life - microscopic life, but also etherical, titanic beings we call the Elder Gods. One of the Elder Gods discovered that by killing each other, they would absorb the victim's life force and become stronger. Pretty soon, it was all-out war and the only ones who survived were the ones who would kill - except for one: Gaia, who loved life for its own sake. Desperate, she turned to the Demiurge for help, and he impregnated her. She gave birth to Atum, who immediately went to war with the degenerated Elder Gods and absorbed them. This turned him into a terrifying monster, the Demogorge; some Elder Gods, like Chthon, Set and Oshtur, escaped into other dimensions, but in the end the Earth was devoid of their kind. Demogorge expelled the life force of the gods he had consumed back into Earth's biosphere, and became Atum again; he left to go live in the Sun, whule Gaia remained on Earth to guide its life. Billions of years later, the first intelligent beings inspired the dormant divine life force, stirring it into life again, and so the various gods and demons were born. Sometimes, their appearance and characteristics still seem to be influenced by human beliefs, but their innate power is not.

I'll go with that. Makes the various retcons easier to bear.

"Oh so now Mjölnir is the repository of a sentient cosmic superstorm imprisoned by Odin. And that is why Jane Foster was able to lift it. Cool."

>son of the elder goddess Gaia
So Ra is a half, step brother of thor huh
Wew
But damn that was informative, thanks

READ
COMIC
BOOKS

Sounds good bro but ain't got the time or effort
Too busy wasting my life and money on games weed and Sup Forums

You see? Autists are good for something.

What are they good for lmao

You're having a conversation with yourself.

False my dude

also fun is that the Demiurge is the future self of William Kaplan AKA Wiccan, the reality warper reincarnation of one of the two children Scarlet Witch, who is herself a 'nexus of reality comparable to the Celestial Madonna' created for herself and Vision using chaos magic, which draws from the god Cthon, who was one of the gods created by Demiurge

furthermore, the divine essence that humans have, which was recognized by the Kree supreme intelligence for what it was and dubbed 'the Destiny Force' is actually fully harnasable by humans. the Kree Supreme Intelligence was able to temporarily awaken it within Rick Jones during the Kree/Skrull wars. its also why it was so interested in Carol Danvers, a Kree/Human hybrid, whose descendants it wanted for the Kree people in the hopes of breeding an army of destiny force wielding super-kree.

In roughly 42% of all possible timelines, humans do fully awaken the destiny force and use it to conquer the universe. A group of beings who call themselves the Time Keepers considered this deplorable, and used Immortus, the future self of Kang the Conquerer, to try and prevent it from happening. One of the things Immortus tried to bring about was ensuring Scarlet Witch never had children. Except he did that by ensuring she and Vision fell in love with each other (he even officiated their wedding). but that just led to her making her children with magic. So Immortus then ensured that Mephisto was able to claim their lives and their souls. But that ultimately is what led to them reincarnating (their second lives were born slightly before their first, I might add) which is what brought about William Kaplan's existence in the first place.

Something of a Mobius double-reacharound of time

2/3
nice

But how does this tie in with the Eternals who themselves claim are the mythological gods?

No, he isn't.

We're good at information retention.

>the Demiurge is the future self of William Kaplan AKA Wiccan

No. The rest is solid, but Billy is a more cosmic entity than the original Demiurge.

Bear in mind 'Demiurge' is a term, not a name; it means a creative being with god-like powers, but certainly not a real god in wisdom or attitude. The Gnostics asserted that this imperfect world was created by the inept or even malicious Demiurge, while the true God, who is spirit, was trying to free us from it by incarnating and dying as Jesus.

The original Demiurge in Marvel was a planetary-level entity and apparently a simple mind; all he did, all he seemed capable of, was creating life. He did not create the universe, or even Earth; he was a part of it.
Billy Kaplan, on the other hand, is definitely god-like as the Demiurge, creating the Utopian Parallel, apparently a sort of Super-Universe.

Well, about 800,000 years ago the alien supergods the Celestials (thats's a whole different kettle of fish) descended to Earth, took humanity's ancestors (probably Homo Ergaster) and manipulated their DNA to create three new species: the genetically unstable Deviants, the immortal Eternals and the humble humans, who nonetheless possess the potential to develop powers that exceed those of either of the others.

Since this story was not originally part of the mainstream Marvel universe. Kirby (who else) was free to attribute many human myths to the Eternals, instead, which is why many of them resemble gods and demons from mythology.

Gilgmesh, Ikaris (Icarus), Thena (Athena), Sersi (A mispronounced Circe), Markuri (Mercury), Zuras (Zeus), and also Kro, the Eternal-Deviant, who has played the role of Satan throughout history.

Later, when the Eternals were folded into the Marvel Universe, they actually had to find a way to reconcile this with the already-established existence of pantheons of gods. It was clumsy at best.

Nobody really knows how to handle the Eternals all that well. Most writers opt to keep them seperate from human affairs on the grounds that humans don't intervene in 'wars' between animals, either.

from how it was depicted in Young Avengers, I was under the impression that the Utopian Parallel was a pocket universe rather than a full universe, and consisted only of a single planet surrounded by a pseudo-source wall. a sort of personal 'zen rock garden' of people that Demiurge made for his own satisfaction

Hmmm. It's a deliberate take on Paradise Island, isn't it?